Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Man, so many awesome squadmates, I can never choose who to bring.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    SPOILER, mark to read
    I just shot Mordin in the back and betrayed the entire Krogan race.

I don't remember the last time I felt that terrible about something I did in a game and the worst part is that I still believe it was the right thing (for this incarnation of Shepard, anyways).
    This. I went ahead and "did the right thing" - but it plagued me for hours knowing I might have screwed up the ending by not getting the "reward" for being evil to Mordin. Spoiler: In the final analysis though, it was pointless, like any decision you've made in all the games ; which is an even larger tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Technically speaking, because my Shep was a BOOMHeadshot Infiltrator gal, Garrus was totally superfluous. But it's fucking Garrus.
    Agree, my femshep was also a sniper, and having Garrus up front always made sure if anything ever got close by flanking etc, he'd be there to evaporate them. I was able to save up for the 3 shot Widow pretty early because he's so effective with just the basic upgraded N7 rifle.

Spoils: Sniping bottles off the roof of the presidium with Garrus = best scene ever.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Spoils: Sniping bottles off the roof of the presidium with Garrus = best scene ever.
    Oh hell yes.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Agreed, honourable mention to a certain "Emergency induction port" scene though.

I miss having Wrex on the team, he was always an awesome character. Grunt was boring as all hell in ME2, but is actually interesting now in ME3. He'd have been a nice addition too.

Ashley is still a whiny little bitch, no change there. Oh how I wanted to shoot her througout the first parts of the game.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 11-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.

The scenes referencing nobody ever calling Shepard by his/her first name were also really funny.

Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub

Agree, my femshep was also a sniper, and having Garrus up front always made sure if anything ever got close by flanking etc, he'd be there to evaporate them. I was able to save up for the 3 shot Widow pretty early because he's so effective with just the basic upgraded N7 rifle.

Give James a Revenant with expanded magazine capacity and fully upgrade his health and shields and he really can lay down the law. I found his Mako vs. Hammerhead conversation with Cortez to be the funniest I have ever laughed in a Mass Effect game, and I loved Tali's reaction to him first calling her "Sparks" and Vega's awkward backtracking.

Bioware's strength has always been in creating vivid characters and I think that really shone through in this game. The squadmate conversations and scenes (particularly the Garrus one spoilered out above) were the high points of the game to me.

Anyone else really like Cortez's story? I found it pretty touching, especially since it's so underplayed (as compared to a lot of the melodrama and BADASSERY punching a sword so hard it breaks anyone? that pervades the main story)
    Last edited by lobsterentropy; 12-03-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Activated Node
    I'm a bit wary about reading threads about the game until I've played it more but I'm gonna write a little about my first impressions anyway.

I'm playing through it on the easiest setting (story) which means it's basically an interactive movie where you get to shoot and bash things sometimes more than a game, but I still find it very entertaining. Right now all I want is to see how the story unfolds. I'll play it with some challenge added later.

The intro was a disappointment compared to the previous games. I never really felt anything, it just felt uninspired. The game got better after that though. I sure hope the ending is better than the beginning.
    Last edited by Livebythesword; 12-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Man, so many awesome squadmates, I can never choose who to bring.
    If you're able to, I recommend taking Liara and Javik on, if nothing else, the Asari related missions. The total breakdown of Liara's Prothean obsession and Javik's dismissal of the Asari was quite nicely done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    This. I went ahead and "did the right thing" - but it plagued me for hours knowing I might have screwed up the ending by not getting the "reward" for being evil to Mordin. Spoiler: In the final analysis though, it was pointless, like any decision you've made in all the games ; which is an even larger tragedy.
    But Mordin's hero moment if you did the right thing was totally worth it. One of the highlights of the game for me.

"I'm Garrus Vakarian, and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Not too far in tbh. I played a few hours on Saturday to get a feel for the mechanics etc (something I generally do with games as a rule) , then restarted for a proper more through play through on Sunday. I've just been to Grissom academy, but have yet to go to Tuchanka (which I'll get to after having cleared the present side missions). Really been enjoying it so far in terms of the storyline (watching the reapers just pulverise everything whilst you run around like ants beneath them really brings home the enormity of the challenge). The combat is much more meaty than the previous titles I'm finding, which (now I've found my footing) I'm having a blast with (engineers are scum that must be killed as soon as they poke their heads up). The re-introduction of weapon mods, as well as companion outfits possessing some tactical benefit is a positive move (ME2 was too lightweight when it came to the weaponry imo). I'm also enjoying seeing the payoffs for earlier actions in the series coming to fruition quite a lot.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Livebythesword View Post
    I'm playing through it on the easiest setting (story) which means it's basically an interactive movie where you get to shoot and bash things sometimes more than a game, but I still find it very entertaining. Right now all I want is to see how the story unfolds. I'll play it with some challenge added later.
    I'm curious if the story mode is just really really easy combat, or whether they actually cut it down - reduced enemy numbers or even actually shortened the missions?

I'm playing it on default settings at the moment, but I'm not much of an FPS player and have been considering just switching to story mode as an option for later if it starts to bore me. But lengthy fights and treks across planets seem like they would be equally tedious, if not more so, if all they have done is take out any challenge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I like how decisions seem to feel more weighty and that the implications are strictly observed. For example, the ending of ME1 on my now accidentally deleted save had me 'Focus on Sovereign', but in ME2 this was regarded as renegade. Yet, looking at certain stats, there definitely was some 'positive' recourse from this. It's a shame that mentality wasn't present in 2 because I always felt like I was doing was the most tactically wise decision.

Similarly, there have been some smaller missions where I've felt unsure as to whether or not I've made the right one. As in, really had to take a minute to decide if I want to be throwing people's lives away for what may be the right action. I'm also liking the mission structure quite a lot, which seems to be more of them that are slightly shorter. Good chunks that make sense considering actions against the Reapers would surely not last too long in a straight up fight.

I'm also digging the way conversations are done, mostly. Whilst they seem to be slightly less interactive (and I refer to those on board the Normandy) there's more of them, more moving about, more reactions to events. The only bad thing is that because it's not in the framed conversation with the wheels, I'm every so often skipping lines in a conversation and obviously you can't hear them back.

Anyhow, the game is really shining for me right now. It's certainly got some of the best elements of 1 and 2 and put them together nicely. The only thing now that could reasonably dampen my experience of the game is the plot.