Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    A vanguard that knows how to play the class is a great asset, able to easily take care of sudden problems and flanking foes and generally act as a brilliant mixture of support and front-line offense. However, a vanguard like that is really rare and most of the time you just get charge-spammers that fall down 10 seconds to the round or nova-spammers that make aiming a living hell for everyone else. Plus the line between a skillful vanguard that supports their team and a skillful vanguard that pretty much robs all the XP is really hard to balance.

I do love playing vanguard but tend to avoid doing so most of the time; it's too easy to slip into being a general annoyance by accident and I really don't like letting my team down.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The problem is that vanguard is obviously the most balanced for single player when you consider the "risk/reward" element of it. In SP, the risk is having to reload a checkpoint, so you do it on your own without issue. Transferring that online isn't quite as simple. I'm not saying the class becomes broken in MP, but I am saying it's harder to translate its core ability so readily.

Anyhow, just finished a major mission. It was extremely enjoyable, with a good mix of things going on. I think there was more than one time where I shouted out "Fuck yeah!" and it wasn't due to one of those near insta-death attacks those...big Reaper soldiers have.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'd be interested to know how successful their "reaching a broader audience" was. Large swathes of my experience of Mass Effect 3 would have made zero sense without having played the previous games, so to me it clearly seemed to be playing to existing fans. But I wonder if that's because I imported a savegame from ME2, and whether a 'fresh' player would have an experience that was more self-contained.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    But I wonder if that's because I imported a savegame from ME2, and whether a 'fresh' player would have an experience that was more self-contained.
    Hence Vega. Also, a lot of other things change. Check out what a "default" start looks like.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Is it just me, or do salarians sound like David Hyde Pierce?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'd be interested to know how successful their "reaching a broader audience" was. Large swathes of my experience of Mass Effect 3 would have made zero sense without having played the previous games, so to me it clearly seemed to be playing to existing fans. But I wonder if that's because I imported a savegame from ME2, and whether a 'fresh' player would have an experience that was more self-contained.
    First week sales were more than first week sales of ME1 and 2 combined, apparently.

Say what you want about Kai Leng (a lot of people seem to hate him) but he certainly has the prettiest hair in the galaxy.
    to wound the autumnal city.

I didn't hate Kai Leng, I just had a hard time understanding why everyone thought he was so good - first thane took him apart on the citadel and then the fight in thessia basically involved him screaming for backup in the brief moments he wasn't locked down with chain overload and stasis. And I don't even remember the fight on the cerberus base it was over that fast (oh that's right, he wasted all his time making holes in the floor to give me cover and then shepard punched his sword to pieces).

Will have to see what that's like on insanity. Would prefer to have him as a potential romance, that would have been sweet. DLC?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    EDIT: So.

What the fuck, Origin? I've been waiting to see when From Ashes would appear in the game, considering I had downloaded everything. Nope. Apparently I hadn't. Apparently all the codes I got didn't quite work. On the off chance the DLC wasn't downloaded, I thought I'd start entering the codes again. What do you know?

I'm incredibly annoyed because my latest save is at the point of no return and the previous one is 4.5 hours behind. Urgh. I wonder how much I've missed out on for not having played it earlier? Honestly, fuck this DLC. It's caused way more issues than it should've done. What on earth possessed EA/BioWare to release it as they did and not like Shale and Zaeed previously, free for owners of new copies?
    Last edited by The JG Man; 18-03-2012 at 04:03 AM.