Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

Desktop Dungeons Beta -- surprisingly good!

Is anyone playing this while it's free? They've made some clever updates to the less-exciting spells from the Alpha (although I was a BIT disappointed that they decided to push the "game the system by not killing low-level enemies" approach even further with the changes to IMAWAL).

What I have been really impressed with is the amount of meta-game stuff they added. I thought it would be kind of silly, but so far I have found the kingdom charming and the unlockables fun. Mayhaps they have gone a bit overboard with the text boxes...I read them all, but I could see someone getting tired of long-winded addresses to the Kingdom Administrator.

In conclusion, it's much more expanded than I expected, while still feeling like the old game (once you get used to the distressing portraits, they're alright too O_O).

If I don't discover a horrible truth about the game before the weekend is over, I am likely to preorder it, I think.
    Last edited by Berzee; 06-03-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I do hope at least some of the classes still have to be unlocked by completing challenges instead of just stockpiling gold, though...
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Pre-ordered it ages ago but not played much, it's one of those games I keep forgetting I have paid money for but still have no desktop client and every time it's mentioned on RPS I shake my fist at nobody in particular.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I bought it a while ago and was impressed. They seem to have added a fair bit without getting bogged down with faff. Also, the troll puzzles were cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    It's not like we've been telling you since beta day 1, right?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Pre-ordered the first week we could.

Tis very nice but not sitting on any of my games lists means that I forget about it till I rarely browse through my favourites.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I pre-ordered this as well, is there any news about when it's released yet?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    It's good but unfortunately due to the vagaries of my internet connection (fast and prone to failure (that's what she said, ha bloody ha)) it often drops out at the completion of a dungeon failing to save my progress. I've found it frustrating enough that if I'm ever using it as a time filler I just dig out the alpha again, which is a shame as I like what they've done with the beta.

Still I'm happy enough waiting till release when this will no longer be an issue.