Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    I'm in for the ginormoleague.

Maybe a "when it's done" limit is in order, since this might be a lot of matches.

Network Hub
    You know what happens without a deadline? Nothing :)

Quote Originally Posted by iwem.xo View Post
    Maybe a "when it's done" limit is in order, since this might be a lot of matches.
    Don't make this go Duke Nukem :P

Alright, alright, you're both right. :)
    Probably best to have a deadline for entry, and then determine the match deadline based on the amount of people.

Activated Node
    i thought it was gonna be knockout style? like the fa cup or summat

Quote Originally Posted by ComradePenguin View Post
    Sorry if I've missed it but how long will we have to complete our games in the big league? I don't want to commit to something I won't have time to fulfill.
    One week(ish)! It'll start tomorrow with the aim of being wrapped up a week on Sunday.

I'd like more feedback from participants about the rules - do you prefer to stick with Dark Extermination or do something different; and if the latter, what do you think about giving the challengee the choice?

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post
    Do I get special dispensation to set up completely one-sided matches?
    No, but I'm sure you will anyway. I've dispatched a squadron of my ninja vampire wombat minions to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Back to the main league for a moment: I've finally got around to tidying up division 4, so season 8 is over. Congratulations to the division winners, commiserations to the blasted-to-smithereens, and regardless of how the increasingly daunting Ginormoleague turns out, the signups for season 9 will open on Monday. Thank you all for taking part!

Quote Originally Posted by WombatDeath View Post
    I'd like more feedback from participants about the rules - do you prefer to stick with Dark Extermination or do something different; and if the latter, what do you think about giving the challengee the choice?
    Personally, I think Dark Extermination is the way to go. Also, same troops each, though not necessarily symmetrical. I don't really have much/any experience with a lot of the other game modes, and while I'd be happy to play if something else comes up, I'd enjoy the league much more if it was Dark Extermination.

is there a way for someone to generate a map where other two players will play..
    or to have who is green and who is red randomly selected?
    either of those options would avoid a match been seen as unfair for the challenged player

Network Hub
    No, but I'm sure you will anyway. I've dispatched a squadron of my ninja vampire wombat minions to keep you on the straight and narrow.
    What is this, I don't even...?
    Where is this vitriol coming from?
    Have I somehow earned a reputation for setting up completely biased matches or something?

I just don't understand (*breaks down crying*)
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post
    What is this, I don't even...?
    Where is this vitriol coming from?
    Have I somehow earned a reputation for setting up completely biased matches or something?

I just don't understand (*breaks down crying*)
    Aren't you the guy who challenged me to this game?

:)
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Nope, that definitely wasn't me.
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Network Hub
    One week(ish)! It'll start tomorrow with the aim of being wrapped up a week on Sunday.

I like the idea but I suspect that in practice it might make everything too slow, since the challenger will need a response from the challengee before the match can even start.

I'm fine with non-symmetrical maps as long as the challengee can appeal a map and have it re-rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by baboonanza View Post
    I like the idea but I suspect that in practice it might make everything too slow, since the challenger will need a response from the challengee before the match can even start.
    I think a possible option might be to make it longer than a 10 day period. Give people maybe 3 weeks to play, and there's probably more chance that they actually will. This view might be influenced by my experience of Season 8, though, where two people in my division didn't play. Still, a longer time frame might mean more input from players.

Slow and steady wins teh internets!

OK, the spreadsheets are ready and the inaugural RPS FS Ginormoleague has begun! I'm not going to start a new thread or spell out all of the rules; you all know how it works by now. You're playing by the standard rules, with the following exceptions/clarifications:

1) All matches are Dark Extermination (Sorry DeVadder).

2) The number and types of unit for each player must be identical. Use the 'Generate Extermination' button to create a random map with suitable units, rather than the 'Generate Symmetrical' button that we use in the regular league.

3) Maps do NOT have to be symmetrical (I suppose they can be if the challenger wishes).

4) The challenger should select the first randomly-generated map that is, in their honest judgement, neither stupid nor blatantly unfair to either player.

5) The challenged player has a right of appeal if he believes that a map is stupid or unfair. The appeal must be lodged before the challenged player takes his first move. Appeals will be judged by me, probably but not necessarily having first taken feedback from the other players. The Vatican has kindly agreed to bestow papal infallibility upon all such judgements.

6) You need to challenge the seven players below you in the table, looping back to the top where necessary. If in doubt, see the raw data spreadsheet.

7) You have until Sunday 08 April to finish all fourteen of your matches. Get cracking! Extensions at my discretion.

8) The final standings at the end of this league will have no impact on the starting positions in season 9 of the regular league.

9) If I've overlooked anything, please see item 8 of the standard rules.

10) If cimethink wins 14-0 I am personally going to murder you all.

Good luck!
    Last edited by WombatDeath; 30-03-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellowhead View Post
    I think a possible option might be to make it longer than a 10 day period. Give people maybe 3 weeks to play, and there's probably more chance that they actually will. This view might be influenced by my experience of Season 8, though, where two people in my division didn't play. Still, a longer time frame might mean more input from players.

Slow and steady wins teh internets!
    You're right, but I want to get the bulk of this out of the way before season 9 kicks off or else it will most likely slow down S9 (and I'll no doubt get confused and mess up the spreadsheets).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    This is either going to be awesome or an absolute disaster. Or quite possibly both. Good luck everyone!
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Oh [swear redacted -- not sure if I'm allowed to do that here], 14 games in a week. This will be intense :D

jsutcliffe has challenged Baboonanza in game 490488
    jsutcliffe has challenged playthatfunkytuba in game 490490
    jsutcliffe has challenged Desvergeh in game 490491
    jsutcliffe has challenged Bellowhead in game 490494
    jsutcliffe has challenged Henke in game 490495
    jsutcliffe has challenged gotem in game 490496
    jsutcliffe has challenged iwem.xo in game 490497

I just opted for symmetrical, regular rules -- it seemed easiest. Please leave your skills at the door.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 31-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.