Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Does "focus on enemy" drop when that enemy dies? It just occurred to me that that may have happened at the end of my match against Henke.
    The wiki doesn't specifically say.

Also, Col, you could add my video to the playlist if you like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    ColOfNature has defeated Desvergeh 4:1 in match 482849.

*cautiouslyoptimisticface*
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by WombatDeath View Post
    Very odd! The 'official' version (as viewed within the game) has you winning 4-1, but if you're happy to replay the match that's fine by me. Tuba, are you certain that you're not mixing up this game with one of your others?
    Proved to Bellowhead using screenshots - the identically numbered game in my browser is incomplete but won't allow me to submit a turn for Round 7. I can't watch the match myself at all as it is still active. I have two people left alive too!

Strange things happened like me killing someone but Bellowhead not receiving a death confirmation, then being unable to move that unit for the rest of his parallel match. Almost Donnie Darko-esque - thought I'd lost the plot...
    Who shot first? Probably not me - I'm rubbish.

You should raise it in the official forum. Sounds like the kind of thing they really ought to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    ColOfNature has defeated Desvergeh 4:1 in match 482849.

*cautiouslyoptimisticface*
    Well played.

So regretting playing well last season, and getting promoted to Division 1, where the scary people live! Getting well and truly slaughtered this season.

I'm also wondering about the "explosives in every match" rule. It certainly means you don't end up in boring stand-offs, but I'm finding a lot hinges on the initial shots from the explosives dudes in the first turn.

Not meaning for it to sound like sour grapes, I'm confident that I would be getting my ass kicked if it was all MGs. But I do wonder if it might be worth some discussion before next season.

Obscure Node
    Chevelle has challenged playthatfunkytuba in game 483777
    Chevelle has challenged spacein_vader in game 483781

jsutcliffe defeated gotem in game 482855 4 kills to 1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    cimethink 4:2 lagnut in match 483083

Lesson learned: being left with only explosive units on each side makes for an interesting guessing game where no one bothers hiding but rather simply tries to anticipate the opponent's move.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 17-03-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by desvergeh View Post
    Well played.

So regretting playing well last season, and getting promoted to Division 1, where the scary people live! Getting well and truly slaughtered this season.

I'm also wondering about the "explosives in every match" rule. It certainly means you don't end up in boring stand-offs, but I'm finding a lot hinges on the initial shots from the explosives dudes in the first turn.

Not meaning for it to sound like sour grapes, I'm confident that I would be getting my ass kicked if it was all MGs. But I do wonder if it might be worth some discussion before next season.
    The explosives in every match are needed imho, at least until the DLC shows up. Apparently there is going to be a mutator that makes camping less usefull if the opponent knows where you hide.

What i do not like is the symetric maps tbh. All too often in the first round i found me wondering wether i should run to the top or bottom door and wether to send my rocket to the top or bottom door at my enemy. I cannot describe very well what i mean. The first turn often becomes a game of rock, paper, scissors with all options equally feasible for both players and thus beeing decided by luck.
    However i have no idea how to do it with non-symmetric maps as the challenging player could generate until he likes what he sees. I do not really believe that to be an issue though, it appears to me that all of us would play fair. Maybe with the mutator we might be able to use the anti-camping-mutator and random maps (if there will be a way to issue a challenge that states that the challenger has not seen the map).

Network Hub
    The point of the game is to out think your opponent which is only possible if everything else is equal. Without symetrical maps there's always the oppertunity to chalk up a win loss to something other than the tactics deployed. In fact luck isn't a factor at all, it purely comes down to your understanding of the game mechanics and your anticipation of your opponent's intentions.

As for explosiveless matches, I can imagine all machine gun and shotgun matches being very boring camp or rush affairs. The grenade offers excellent area denial/indirect fire options while the rpg literally opens up new avenues of attack.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    After seven full seasons it's pretty clear that we need explosives.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Obscure Node
    Chevelle has challenged Bellowhead in game 484507
    Chevelle has challenged MarvinPA in game 484513

Quote Originally Posted by Xune View Post
    In fact luck isn't a factor at all, it purely comes down to your understanding of the game mechanics and your anticipation of your opponent's intentions.
    And here is where i disagree. rock, paper, scissors situations occur all the time, and no way how great you outsmart your opponent, it often comes down to a coinflip. Assymetrical maps indeed may offer an advantageous path to one of the players, but then there is something to outsmart them by.
    And afterall, i do not play this league to become the world champion, i play it for interesting situations to solve and perfect fairness is not necessaribly required.
    But well, i am fine with it as it stands.

Network Hub
    RodeoClown has challenged cimethink in game 484813
    RodeoClown has challenged ColOfNature in game 484814
    RodeoClown has challenged ComradePenguin in game 484817

Sorry for the delay folks, was away on holidays and forgot I would have no internet access :S

Also - Is the spreadsheet auto-sorting now? Because I got a challenge from Lagnut, but he's above me on the list... I ended up challenging people listed on the 2nd tab only.

Network Hub
    But, DeVadder, RPS situations are not luck they are the essence of the game. A shotgun will usually win in close combat, a machine gun over the midrange and a sniper over the longrange. As I understand things, the only time a random element is used is when all factors such as weapon, cover, movement, time of detection and angle to aim are all the same. In those situations, an RNG decides who dies (whereas I believe that if all is equal then both units should die).

With asymetrical maps it is too easy to engineer situations where there is insufficient cover for your opponent or have their units in inescapable situations such as facing away from an enemy that is facing them. Even if the matches were not deliberately engineered, it's too easy for the map generator to place one team in relatively open ground and the other in cover guaranteeing casualties and probably a win.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from asking Wombatdeath to setup a concurrent league with asymetrical matches as there may be others who are interested in playing in those kind of matches.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post
    Also - Is the spreadsheet auto-sorting now? Because I got a challenge from Lagnut, but he's above me on the list... I ended up challenging people listed on the 2nd tab only.
    Sorry, I've been sorting the tables as I update them so you can see at a glance how everyone's doing. I didn't stop to think it might make it difficult to work out your challenges. The second tab, "Season 8 raw data", shows exactly who should be challenging whom.

leegeorg07 has defeated bonuswavepilot in game 482407 by 4 men killed to 2.
    iwem.xo has defeated bonuswavepilot in game 482367 by 4 men killed to 3.

...not the most auspicious beginning, but at least they weren't 4-nil trouncings I suppose.

I still don't get how that happened at the top, bonuswavepilot. Sims seemed certain my MG would beat yours due to cover. Maybe the simulation assumed your dude only started aiming at the start of the turn?

Obscure Node
    Oh whoops! Can someone change my match ID with DeVadder to 482311. My mistake.

Also, as they don't seem to have been posted, Henke destroyed me 4 to 0 in game 482416 and devadder defeated me 4 to 1 in game 482311

Steuntron has challenged CMaster in game 484952
    Steuntron has challenged brocklehurst in game 484958
    Steuntron has challenged Ritashi in game 484965
    Steuntron has challenged Baboonanza in game 484972
    Steuntron has challenged Labbes in game 484979
    Steuntron has challenged Xune in game 484980