Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    We need George Lucas making reeditions of the first two games to accommodate the ghost child in the story. Maybe even add a musical scene in the middle.
    Beware, he might change Garrus for Hayden Christensen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Unless you start going down the route of stating that the creator has no power over his creations which would be a stretch.
    Yeah, definitely no precedent for that is there?

Anyway, looks like we're getting an 'extended' ending:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mass-...ing-dlc/093999

Speculation?

I reckon it'll just establish that the Mass Relays just turned off rather than exploded, and that either: the Reapers were destroyed, Shep lives but galaxy is in dire straits; Reapers controlled by Shep, she uses them to direct relief efforts around planets and help rebuild and develop FTL travel; Synthesis means people don't need food anymore.

Plus some epilogues like the ones in Dragon Age.

I hope it's really sarcastic though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I hope it's really sarcastic though.
    Quit being bitter and accept the fact that most people felt underwhelmed by the endings as delivered.

It's optional Free DLC vs an obligatory patch so you'll be able to retain the sanctity of the original if you choose to.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quit being bitter and accept the fact that most people felt underwhelmed by the endings as delivered.
    A claim you constantly fail to back up. I'm not at all bitter, artistically I would have preferred they didn't, but given it's just a silly b-movie video game I'm far happier that someone is doing something weird that's never been done before in gaming and it'll be really interesting to see how it plays out. I'm willing to bet right now that the same 'most people' you talk of will hate this ending even more than the original one, by the way.

Network Hub
    I'm personally very curious as to how they handwave the Normandy section. Maybe they'll add a part where Shepard calls Joker before he activates the Citadel and tells him to run.

Obvious clarifications will probably be:

1) Mass Relays don't kill everything. This was obviously the intention, though they forgot to explain it.

2) Galaxy discovers an alternative or upgraded propulsion system to make up for lack of Mass Relays.

3) Citadel's destruction somehow doesn't destroy Earth.

4) What exactly constitutes a synthetic is clarified.

There are many more problems but these are the easy to answer ones that should be the minimum level of clarification.

A claim you constantly fail to back up.
    Have you been to the Bioware forums at all during all of this? Like Sparta it was madness. Plenty of people bitched and moaned about the ending of DA2 IIRC but Bioware did nothing about addressing that situation. That the CEO of Bioware writes an open letter barely a week after Mass Effect 3s worldwide release promising that the company would address the player bases concerns regarding their disappointment with the ending I think is fairly indicative of there being a change in the volume of complaints they were receiving on the subject.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Have you been to the Bioware forums at all during all of this?
    No, not once, and that's my point. And I'm someone who's engaged with the game and the debate and I wouldn't go near there because I know what it's like.

Besides, if it's madness then there must be dissenting voices? Or are they just arguing over why it's sucks?

The 'majority' won't be on the Bioware forum. But that's okay because the 'majority' won't even download the DLC or have any clue about an extended ending anyway because the 'majority' are completely oblivious to this whole thing.

Well, my personal experience is that the ending is pretty unpopular. All but one of the people I know who've played through the game thought it was terrible, laughable or both. The other one thought it wasn't all that bad, which is pretty faint praise.

The only people who seem to like it (separate from thinking the fans are overreacting) are internet contrarians.

I'm usually not the type to get too riled up about a game to the point of getting angry. But ME3's ending was so vague and horribly put together I was angry I spent $60 on it. My wife had been watching me play the whole series and at the end she looked just as clueless as me. Both of us just wtf'ed at those last 5 minutes. I really don't mine ethereal and mysterious endings for speculation, heck I even liked The Fountain if that tells you anything. But this...this was just awful. I have no idea how someone could defend the endings.

I'm so happy they're getting an explanation though. I honestly wasn't looking for a rewrite. I just wanted to know what the hell was going on. Now I can play the game without thinking "well this is going to be a waste, why even try?".

I'm so happy they're getting an explanation though. I honestly wasn't looking for a rewrite. I just wanted to know what the hell was going on. Now I can play the game without thinking "well this is going to be a waste, why even try?".

Don't get your hopes up too high. From the sounds of it most of their work is filling in some of the more obvious gaps, anything that constituted a design decision at the point of release is likely to be defended and left unchanged, most damningly this will likely include the intent to keep the idiotic godchild convo "High level" and thus bereft of a lot of vital information.

As the destroy option is the only one where Shep survives, it's a safe bet that's going to be treated as the canon too, meaning "yay geth genocide", it's a bit ironic that the supposed paragon option is essentially one gigantic dickmove in and of itself, but then all three choices are dickmoves, it's really a choice of where you get it from EA : Face, pink or stink.

Sadly DA2 and ME3 have left me bitter and cynical toward Bioware, and somewhat misty eyed about the good old days like Baldur's Gate.

The catalyst was wrong about the destroy option killing Shepard (he survives if you played loads of multiplayer) leaves it up in the air about whether it actually killed the geth etc., come to think of it.

That opens up some really high octane nightmare fuel, thinking about it. Picture a sort of alive Shepard with half of his or her face imploded, and parts of him / her no longer working so great...

A claim you constantly fail to back up. I'm not at all bitter, artistically I would have preferred they didn't, but given it's just a silly b-movie video game I'm far happier that someone is doing something weird that's never been done before in gaming and it'll be really interesting to see how it plays out. I'm willing to bet right now that the same 'most people' you talk of will hate this ending even more than the original one, by the way.
    "Artistically", I would have liked for the idea of the original ME writer to be respected.

You are correct on most people disliking this just as much. We will get an extended version of something blatantly bad. I am sure no one who disliked the Battlestar Galactica ending (insert whichever ending you dislike instead) would want to see a 10 minutes long video of the fleet melting near the sun or the crew trying to make fire with flints, nor would a Lost fan want to see 10 minutes of the whole cast dancing with one another.

No, not once, and that's my point. And I'm someone who's engaged with the game and the debate and I wouldn't go near there because I know what it's like.
    I'm sorry dean but there's a big difference between being at the match, Vs getting get commentary through the radio.

Besides, if it's madness then there must be dissenting voices? Or are they just arguing over why it's sucks?
    I'm on about the sheer volume of disappointment and outrage. There's hardly any posts arguing the opposite there, despite what game 'journalist' fuckwits like Arthur Gies would have you believe.

The 'majority' won't be on the Bioware forum. But that's okay because the 'majority' won't even download the DLC or have any clue about an extended ending anyway because the 'majority' are completely oblivious to this whole thing.
    The vast majority of people who visit RPS aren't members of this forum. We're a minuscule % of the overall user base. However it would be foolhardy to assume that lets say we all kicked up a stink about something that we alone are the only ones who would be upset about it. Not everyone has the time to or the inclination to post on forums, but it's foolhardy to assume their default status of silence on an issue is somehow indicative of them being ok with the state of play. Also I expect pretty much everyone will download the extended cut DLC (even you) given they'll likely send out a newsletter to inform people. Plus huge amounts of press coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel2517 View Post
    Artistically", I would have liked for the idea of the original ME writer to be respected.
    Indeed. That in Drews absence Hudson & Walters dumped the over arching storyline wholesale (which would of made the human reaper make sense) and concocted their own eleventh hour moral dilemma to replace it does put a dent in the whole artistic integrity angle.

You are correct on most people disliking this just as much. We will get an extended version of something blatantly bad. I am sure no one who disliked the Battlestar Galactica ending (insert whichever ending you dislike instead) would want to see a 10 minutes long video of the fleet melting near the sun or the crew trying to make fire with flints, nor would a Lost fan want to see 10 minutes of the whole cast dancing with one another.
    It does sound like it's going to be a case of them putting a hat on on pig, rather than changing the pig.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    it's really a choice of where you get it from EA : Face, pink or stink.
    Given the entire previous 30 hours, the game has been telling me how fucked I am, that seems appropriate.

Network Hub
    Given the entire previous 30 hours, the game has been telling me how fucked I am, that seems appropriate.
    Just like the entire of ME2 was telling me I was going on a suicide mission that I didn't have a hope in coming back from meant that the only outcome was for Shepard to die. Oh wait...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm sorry dean but there's a big difference between being at the match, Vs getting get commentary through the radio.
    I meant I'd been at the match before for tech support and other stuff and wasn't a big fan of the supporters.

it's foolhardy to assume their default status of silence on an issue is somehow indicative of them being ok with the state of play.
    That's totally true, but it's also the case that people who do like or are indifferent towards the ending won't go and post on forums to let people know. And while the ending wasn't great, there have been so, so many worse game-endings that didn't attract this level of ire.

Also I expect pretty much everyone will download the extended cut DLC (even you) given they'll likely send out a newsletter to inform people.
    I'll be pretty impressed if they manage that, given it's only around 60% of consoles that are connected to the internet. Not to mention people will have traded it in already. Most PC users for sure, but again, we're in the tiny minority.

Network Hub
    Looks like we're getting free Multiplayer DLC too:

Wonder if the free part is a goodwill gesture as well.

I suspect it likely always intended to be free, otherwise they'd just be dividing their multi-player base.

Probable Replicant

Network Hub
    I suspect it likely always intended to be free, otherwise they'd just be dividing their multi-player base.
    I suppose with the new maps that could be true, especially so early on.