Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Mass Effect 3 endings [SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY]

So, apparently Bioware played Deus Ex. And decided to copy the endings almost one for one. Except make them worse. Not well done at all, in my opinion.

Holy fu***ng sh*t. That's the EXACT thought I had after finishing ME3. The ending I chose first (blue) sucked so bad, I just went on youtube to check out the other two.
    I've been a fan of Mass Effect since ME1 came out (which is a big deal, considering I despise all console ports), and I also liked ME3 a lot, until I returned to the Citadel for the last time. I wouldn't believe it if anyone told me that the final 30 minutes of a game could ruin an entire series, but it's true.
    The games I loved and idolized mainly for their superb story/setting, were ruined by a piece of sh*t ending, that was IMO put there in it's current form only to cement ME3 as the end of the ME series (in all three endings the relays get destroyed and (if you don't use multiplayer) Shepard dies). And don't even get me started on the story conclusion (or more precisely, the lack of it).

P.S.
    i apologize for the curse words, but I just played through the night and only finished the game 2 hours ago, so the wound is still fresh.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

I played the forst two but couldn't be bothered to play the third so I watched the "good" ending on Youtube. It just made me realise how flimsy the whole synthetic vs. organic thing was.

A five year old child controlling the synthetics to kill the elder races so that the organic races wouldn't be killed by the synthetics. Really? Do you call that writing? That is the sort of logic a being who is powerful enough to create the Reapers comes up with ?
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I heard you can BECOME a Reaper. I had no intention of playing this game but now I sort of want to replay the whole series just to do that.

Edit:

Wait, who made the reapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Wait, who made the reapers?
    The Citadel masquerading as a spectoral five year-old boy. This of course makes no sense because a game or two back a Reaper called Sovereign was trying to destroy the Citadel. And the Reapers are supposed to be controlled by the Citadel. So technically spectoral five year-old was trying to commit suicide. Or something.

Fuckit, looks like that writer woman not only doesn't like games, she doesn't like continuity or a story that actually makes sense.
    Last edited by Wooly Wugga Wugga; 08-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    Fuckit, looks like that writer woman not only doesn't like games, she doesn't like continuity or a story that actually makes sense.
    She wasn't writing Mass Effect, Mac Walters was. Not to speak about how wrong your general assessment about Hepler is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    She wasn't writing Mass Effect, Mac Walters was. Not to speak about how wrong your general assessment about Hepler is.
    I heard she was a writer on Mass Effect. Oh, well. Whoever wrote it is pretty clueless anyway.

And don't try to rewrite history. In her own words the least favourite part of working in the gaming industry is having to actually play the games. It's pretty damning.

I'm not going to post again about this topic because it should really be about the crappy writing in ME 3 but here is the interview :

>Q: What is your least favorite thing about working in the industry?
    >A: Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definitely been the single most difficult thing for me. I came into the job out of a love of writing, not a love of playing games… I’m really terrible at so many things which most games use incessantly — I have awful hand-eye coordination, I don’t like tactics, I don’t like fighting, I don’t like keeping track of inventory, and I can’t read a game map to save my life.
    Last edited by Wooly Wugga Wugga; 08-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.

And don't try to rewrite history. In her own words the least favourite part of working in the gaming industry is having to actually play the games. It's pretty damning.

And your words were: "she doesn't like games". Stop rewriting history. She said (in answer to question "What's your least favorite thing about working in the industry?"): "Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definetly been the single most difficult thing for me. I came into the job out of a love of writing, not a love of playing games. While I enjoy the interactive aspects of gaming, if a game doesn't have a good story, it's very hard for me to get interested in playing it".

Anyway, enough off-topic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So does Joker fuck his ship now that it has a sexy robot body?

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    So does Joker fuck his ship now that it has a sexy robot body?
    No idea but apparently he can walk now too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    A five year old child controlling the synthetics to kill the elder races so that the organic races wouldn't be killed by the synthetics. Really? Do you call that writing? That is the sort of logic a being who is powerful enough to create the Reapers comes up with ?
    An avatar picked out of Shepard's subconscious in a Contact-like way of explaining to Shepard what's going on. A synthetic's flawed idea of what life is like. Implications of a very elder race who got it all terribly, terribly wrong and set into motion this cycle which you then break. What's wrong with it?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Even worse than the DE:HR endings in my opinion. Same "press button A, B or C" bullshit, but the ending gives precisely no closure. Basically a case of "Reapers have been destroying the galaxy, now destroy the galaxy yourself but choose whether the explosions will be blue, green or red". Oh, and complete with the extra 'fuck you' of precisely none of our choices throughout all three games mattering at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Even worse than the DE:HR endings in my opinion. Same "press button A, B or C" bullshit, but the ending gives precisely no closure. Basically a case of "Reapers have been destroying the galaxy, now destroy the galaxy yourself but choose whether the explosions will be blue, green or red". Oh, and complete with the extra 'fuck you' of precisely none of our choices throughout all three games mattering at all.
    Well, assume you were a cigar-chomping Earth-firster who kicked ass and entirely forgot to take names. The game would end up being exceedingly difficult to get the requisite military strength to get A, B and C. What you'd get instead is just A and B and neither would end up saving much - so we'll call them A' and B' - or just A and the end result is you're screwed - heretofore referred to as A''.

So you have A, A', A'', B, B' and C. (plus one bonus ending for using multiplayer, which we'll call A*)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    An avatar picked out of Shepard's subconscious in a Contact-like way of explaining to Shepard what's going on. What's wrong with it?
    Why pick out the child and not the squadmate Shepard sent to death in the first game?
    Because it's formulaic and safe, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Why pick out the child and not the squadmate Shepard sent to death in the first game?
    Because it's formulaic and safe, that's why.
    Because the squadmate was a soldier and thus not afraid of death and the child stood in Shepard's mind for Earth's civilian population and humanity as a whole, maybe? I mean, was it not painfully clear what her dreams meant?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    The endings were terrible. I completely expect a new TV show to happen called "Joker's Island" that is basically Gilligan's Island but with the Normandy crew.

None of it even makes sense. If the ultimate solution to ending the cycle and chaos is merging synthetic and organic life, why didn't this master race who created the reapers (or the "catalyst") simply do that eons ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    If the ultimate solution to ending the cycle and chaos is merging synthetic and organic life, why didn't this master race who created the reapers (or the "catalyst") simply do that eons ago?
    Imagine if, being told you could become an all-powerful cyborg, your choices were a box running OS8 and a box running WinME. You'd wait 'til something better came along.

Frankly, I don't think synthesis was the best option, but it's not like I was gonna get any headway arguing with a computer that's killed more species than I can count. I mean, it was a simple parable of "hegemony fails, cooperation triumphs" in even getting to that point, but from then I just said screw it: Why would I debate it? My debate with the illusive man ended with me shooting him - indeed, that's how most of the irreconcilable differences resolved themselves. Hence.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    So what,in the ending humanity is conquered by those reapers ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    So what,in the ending humanity is conquered by those reapers ?
    Only if you fuck up.

Tho, to Bioware's credit, the fuckup could have been two games prior.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Because the squadmate was a soldier and thus not afraid of death and the child stood in Shepard's mind for Earth's civilian population and humanity as a whole, maybe? I mean, was it not painfully clear what her dreams meant?
    Why is Shepard traumatised by some random kid's death and not by the horrible events mentioned in his backstory or those we experienced in the previous games?
    The stupid explanation is in the interview I linked above. Blue alien kid = meh. Human kid = OMG DRAMA.
    It's amateurish. It's a tired trope. Tropes can be saved by their presentation, but ME3 falls flat there too.

And what's up with the Reapers' circular logic?
    OK, I know that alien species can have a totally random thinking process compared to ours. But it's still stupid for me and it hurts my enjoyment.