Page 1 of 174 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 3477
  1. #1

    Dark Souls for PC

    Can we get some coverage on RPS? I'd love to play these games and am without one of those small closed system computers every is all the rage about. [edit: sry PEBKAC when using rps search function, it was covered and I missed it when published]

    Also sign this:
    http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC
    Last edited by HothMonster; 08-03-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: PEBKAC

  2. #2
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kodeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by HothMonster View Post
    Can we get some coverage on RPS?
    There has been.

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/Dark-Souls/

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,910
    Can't find any official statements from Bamco regarding it, though. But there is a chance.

  4. #4
    Network Hub renhoelder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    167
    Maybe they learned from Alan Wake´s success that ports can be made to work and make a profit. Granted Remedie had previous experience with Max Payne and Dark Souls devs would probably have to go outside for a port.
    Anyway, would love if this game came out on PC

  5. #5
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Have there been any updates from Bandai-Namco?

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester / Finland
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Have there been any updates from Bandai-Namco?
    The representative who was the one communicating with the forumers posted in the old topic that spawned the petition a small while back, asking for the creator of the petition to contact him/Namco. Why, not told.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

  7. #7
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    At this point Dark Souls PC is unlikely. I just doubt that Namdai would want to go back to the game and do the work required for a decent conversion from scratch. Especially given how much work making a brand new multiplayer network would be.

    Dark Souls 2 (or whatever it'll be called) on PC on the otherhand...
    Last edited by Bhazor; 08-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Network Hub Namdrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    252
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Hidetaka Miyazaki dose not want to see it released on PC, for 2 reasons.

    --Part of the beauty of the game is that you cannot cheat, and that gameplay is wholly dictated by the game designer. A PC version would not only be cracked day 1, the gameplay would also be violated day 1.

    --It cannot be tuned properly because of the varieties of hardware. Bolting on KB/M controls, or having people use anything other than the controllers the game designer used during development would alter the designer's vision.

    The artist dictates to the audience, and if a videogame designer aspires to create videogame art, then artist must have control over the experience. And that can only happen on a console.

    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Hidetaka Miyazaki dose not want to see it released on PC, for 2 reasons.

    --Part of the beauty of the game is that you cannot cheat, and that gameplay is wholly dictated by the game designer. A PC version would not only be cracked day 1, the gameplay would also be violated day 1.

    --It cannot be tuned properly because of the varieties of hardware. Bolting on KB/M controls, or having people use anything other than the controllers the game designer used during development would alter the designer's vision.

    The artist dictates to the audience, and if a videogame designer aspires to create videogame art, then artist must have control over the experience. And that can only happen on a console.

    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Basically you're saying that they'd have to dumb down their game for a PC audience then?

    (I'm joking)But... it does raise an interesting point about how the PC as an open platform can perhaps be bad for auteur-like game designers (not that many exist these days).
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Yeah, only videogames are nothing like films and are defined by interactivity.

    Where did all this tripe come from anyway? Cheaters, seriously? Not only a minor part of players would do that, how would that even bother the developer? If he understands that games are systems and mechanics that the player interacts with, why he would so be against releasing his game on a more open platform just to deny some people the possibility to interact with the game the way they want (and spoiling it in the process, sure, but whatever).

    And it's a third-person action game which is about exploring and combat with carefully timed attacks. How could that not be easily translated to keyboard and mouse? And without ruining 'the designer vision'?

    Like, am I being trolled here?

  11. #11
    Lesser Hivemind Node Harlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weymouth, UK
    Posts
    717
    I've seen this argument somewhere else. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me there, either.

    Seriously, "The developer sucks too much to make decent K+M controls" is a third of the argument?

    (Wouldn't bother me too much if it had controller support, now I've got one...)

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQ1fvcw6qY

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    993
    It's not that difficult to understand that if a game is designed very specifically around a certain control input, that it doesn't always translate well to another.

    Try playing fifa on a keyboard, or street fighter. You basically need analogue for DS. It's all very well saying 'most people own a controller' but everyone on this forum knows that if a game is released on PC without KB & M support, then there will people venting their outrage all over the developers face.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  14. #14
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    693
    It could come up with something novel, like mouse movement. That's analogue movement, n'est-ce pas?

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    It's not that difficult to understand that if a game is designed very specifically around a certain control input, that it doesn't always translate well to another.

    Try playing fifa on a keyboard, or street fighter. You basically need analogue for DS. It's all very well saying 'most people own a controller' but everyone on this forum knows that if a game is released on PC without KB & M support, then there will people venting their outrage all over the developers face.
    I just wish resident evil 4 had an alternative to just kb as it controlled terribly. You needed a mod for mouse support, and it wasn't really adequate.

    I'm at peace with some games being better with different control methods, what I don't like is lazy stuff like mandatory and ridiculous mouse acceleration, unbindable controls and forcing me to unplug my controller before my keyboard will work.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  16. #16
    Lesser Hivemind Node Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    It could come up with something novel, like mouse movement. That's analogue movement, n'est-ce pas?
    That would probably work for character movement, but then you would need a second mouse to move the camera at the same time!
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    They can. Video-editing is relatively simple these days. I assume you've seen the Star Wars episodes 1-3 that don't mention Jar Jar, or at least heard of them.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,091
    Similarly, these games (http://taleoftales.com/) have all been haxx0red to pieces, amirite?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    You basically need analogue for DS.
    Why?
    ...........

  20. #20
    Lesser Hivemind Node Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    993
    Because it allows you to move directionally, at different speed, than all or nothing keyboard movements, thus it is more precise than wasd. Precision and movement and timing is basically 9/10ths of Dark Souls.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •