Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    180

    When are we going to get Motorcycle Simulation games?

    I'm so sick of cars, I don't drive them in real life, my passion are Motorcycles and yet the only game we get is that turd MotoGP 13. I see lots of car sims out or coming out like GT, forza, AC and PC and then I see loads of kart games and other arcade games like NFS and yet there is nothing for Motorcycles. I mean is it so hard for one of those sims to do a Motorcycle/Car sim? I just want to race around on Motorcycles like Tourist Trophy on the PS2 again. I would do it in real life but track days are too expensive and for some reason you're not allowed to race eachother, so they're for [bundles of sticks] anyways.

    Just give us a good Motorcycle sim please gaming gods!

    (edited for language by Jams O'Donnell)
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 25-09-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Language, Timothy!

  2. #2
    Network Hub Ernesto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South of Munich
    Posts
    205
    I think it's rare because of control issues.
    You can simulate a car and a plane quite well with a wheel and a joystick. A motorcycle you control by shifting your weight (at least at higher speed) and turning the handle bars a only tiny fraction. That can be pretty tough to translate into rotating a wheel or tilting a joystick or even hitting buttons.

    I'd like a motorcycle simulation too. Preferably with vintage motorcycles and Isle of Man track :)

  3. #3
    Network Hub bad guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    I'd like a motorcycle simulation too. Preferably with vintage motorcycles and Isle of Man track :)
    Ooooooooooooooo! That would be nice.


    If you are into offroad motorcycles, you might want to have a look at MX Simulator.
    Last edited by bad guy; 24-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.

  4. #4
    Network Hub Henke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    452
    I'm defenitely into offroad motorcycles, but haven't taken the plunge and bought MX Sim yet. At 42 euros it's kinda pricey, and the demo didn't completely sell me on it. The last great dirtbike game, as far as I'm concerned, was Motorcross Madness 2, which came out in 13 years ago. Since then only the Sanchez dirtbike in GTA 4 has managed to scratch that same itch for me. I was really looking forward to the GTA 5 precisely because of the prospect of getting to ride that bike around in the huge rural areas, so I was disheartened when I finally got on a bike in the game and found that the handling of them are a good deal more arcadey and stiff than the bikes in GTA 4. Boo! :(
    Last edited by Henke; 24-09-2013 at 11:09 AM.

  5. #5
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    78
    Do we need the abusive language at the end there? RPS usually strives to be above that. All types of gamers should feel welcome here.

    On topic, I'd love a motorbike simulator too. I assume it's because the demographics are too small to justify the outlay. If anyones knows of anything decent, I'd love to hear about it too.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,077
    Hey Tixylixx, if you want to race there are loads of competitions running all over the country - all you need is a bike, a licence, some regulation safety gear and some talent (which you will get from doing trackdays, where racing is forbidden for the same reason you don't race when taking driving lessons!!)

    Go here

    http://www.acu.org.uk/

    As for those 'faggots of whom you speak - I assume you mean THESE faggots

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

    As for games - we don't get proper MC games because MC riders balls are too big to hold a controller like that...

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,028
    Motorcross Madness got a remake on Xbox Live Arcade.

    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d80258410b0f

    Sadly MS with the no interest in PC never ported it.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    I think it's rare because of control issues.
    You can simulate a car and a plane quite well with a wheel and a joystick. A motorcycle you control by shifting your weight (at least at higher speed) and turning the handle bars a only tiny fraction. That can be pretty tough to translate into rotating a wheel or tilting a joystick or even hitting buttons.

    I'd like a motorcycle simulation too. Preferably with vintage motorcycles and Isle of Man track :)
    Not sure how you'd go about making a full simulation racing wheel equivalent for a bike, but dual stick gamepad can do bikes as well as it can cars.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,091
    Tron 2.0 is the only computer game I have played with motorcycles recently (aside from weird 2.5d things like the trackmania demo), but it was not very simulational (in particular the missiles and shield breaks were overly simplified).

    Hm, this thread also reminds me of playing Moto Racer for PC back in The Day, and using a steering wheel for it; though that game wasn't a sim either and so my post remains mostly useless. :[ Good game, though...those bicycles with motors on are speedy machines.

    P.S. I checked to verify, the reported language has been logged/warned.
    Last edited by Berzee; 24-09-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  10. #10
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    180
    Yeh I went to Silverstone, hated it, too many rules, over priced and lame and another track near me said my exhaust was too loud.... it's a track! [bundles of sticks] is just another word for a [kitty cat]... nothing offensive about it.

    (edited for language by Jams O'Donnell)
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 25-09-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: okay, let's not use the bad language so much

  11. #11
    Network Hub bad guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    324
    What about SBK 11 and SBK Generations ?
    Is that any good?

  12. #12
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,025
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Yeh I went to Silverstone, hated it, too many rules, over priced and lame and another track near me said my exhaust was too loud.... it's a track! [bundles of sticks] is just another word for a [kitty cat]... nothing offensive about it.
    if you say "fags are pussies", yeah, it is offensive. Think on that one.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,850
    But it's only offensive if he says its offensive. After all, he's the one using the words.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,195
    I like racing games in principle, and a good motorbike racing game would be cool (I do like my Moto GP) but I'd suffer the same as I do with more serious racing games and be utterly rubbish at it. I tend to only end up enjoying more arcade-like stuff (see Motorstorm, Burnout Paradise etc) where I don't feel completely inept!

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Slovenia| Ljubljana
    Posts
    3,978
    Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    What about SBK 11 and SBK Generations ?
    Is that any good?

    Personally i didn't liked them because controlling those motorbikes feels way off,but it got pretty good reviews,score around 75.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Yeh I went to Silverstone, hated it, too many rules, over priced and lame and another track near me said my exhaust was too loud.... it's a track!
    Tracks have neighbours too - there's plenty of ways to silence a bike without much effect on POWAH and they'll have 'unlimited' days (useful for - say - production Ferraris which break most track limits even when stock!!)

    I think part of that problem is also that on-road rules are flaunted by almost every biker - I'd say 90% of the bikes I see are illegal in some way (usually noise) but Police VERY seldom crackdown on it - so when you get to a track and they say "nope" you're surprised...

    The reason we have rules on trackdays is that if everyone showed-up (at their many and varied levels of experience) and thought "MAX POWAH - RACE MODE" we'd be stacking bodybags a mile high. I started trackdays very early-on and they were scary experiences - I was once milimeters from driving a shiny new Porsche into a race-tuned Escort Cos which "came out of nowhere" - it was terrifying trying to learn a track when people were driving like it was the last lap of a race in cars 2-3 times as powerful (esp as the car I was driving was that much better than mine!!)

    If you want to race, join a race club - there's really not much of a bar to entry and they put you onto a track with people who will show you the way to the finish IF you can keep up. Trackdays will become warm-ups/testing sessions/chances to learn where the road goes - qual/racedays will allow you to 'go nuts'.

    What bike do you have?
    Last edited by trjp; 24-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Personally i didn't liked them because controlling those motorbikes feels way off,but it got pretty good reviews,score around 75.
    I think we've got some great games which are simulating both semi-realistic and arcadey car handing - but for some reason we're nowhere near the bike thing.

    As someone said, bikes are physical, your position and weight matter more than control inputs and the difference between success and death are much much smaller which means it quickly becomes unrealistic or impossible.

    There was a PS2 bike game which covered the proper TT circuit - I know a few people who used-it to familiarize themselves with it before they were there to race on it - but the game itself was pretty unapproachable to anyone else.

    When we approach car games, we tend to drive really fast and backoff when it's clear we're crashing. That model doesn't work for bikes because there's less "grey area" between "not fast enough" and "oh dear". That leads to the game being harder and thus fewer people play it.
    Last edited by trjp; 24-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    I'm defenitely into offroad motorcycles, but haven't taken the plunge and bought MX Sim yet. At 42 euros it's kinda pricey, and the demo didn't completely sell me on it. The last great dirtbike game, as far as I'm concerned, was Motorcross Madness 2, which came out in 13 years ago. Since then only the Sanchez dirtbike in GTA 4 has managed to scratch that same itch for me. I was really looking forward to the GTA 5 precisely because of the prospect of getting to ride that bike around in the huge rural areas, so I was disheartened when I finally got on a bike in the game and found that the handling of them are a good deal more arcadey and stiff than the bikes in GTA 4. Boo! :(
    Try Mx vs Atv Alive, or reflex. Alive has more content, but Reflex has better physics and feel, though both are good. It's got deformable terrain that actually makes a difference in the race (falling out of the groove will slow you down or make you eat shit), especially the longer ones, and a very realistic feel if you play with a dual analogue controller. Think motogp on dirt. Leaning is far more important than steering. There isn't a hint of a game there, and the dlc is borderline abusive, which THQ apologized for, but their failings are easy to ignore if you enjoy a good sim and know what you are getting. It is however worth the price to just time attack the courses. It takes skill, and doing tricks takes familiarity and foresight. As a huge motocross madness 2 fan during it's heyday, mx vs atv series is their spiritual successor, and the only downside is that there is no proper career mode. It has huge playground levels with dunes and whatnot for free riding as well. Haven't played the PC versions, but I wish I had, they look far better.

    edit: lol The names are shit, I got it wrong. Alive, the newest title, has better handling, and an improved reflex mechanic (bumping handle bars no longer tosses you, and you have a chance to recover when you get bumped or case a jump.) Reflex, is still good, but the reflex system isn't very good. I constantly boot up Reflex on accident thinking it is the newer one. The real difference between the two is that Alive has a better reflex system, than reflex, so it's a bit of a marketing disaster. Or maybe not, I bought Reflex thinking it was the new one, but I loved it so I picked up Alive.
    Last edited by DogonCrook; 24-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.

  19. #19
    Network Hub Henke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Motorcross Madness got a remake on Xbox Live Arcade.
    Yeah, I know. I tried the demo, but it just didn't feel right. And the riders are those ridiculous XBox Avatars, bleh.

    Quote Originally Posted by DogonCrook View Post
    Try Mx vs Atv Alive, or reflex.
    I tried a demo of one of the MX vs ATV games long ago, but I didn't enjoy it and kinda wrote the series off after that. Mainly I didn't like it because it was constrained to a track. Should've mentioned that a big draw of MM2 and GTA4 is that you get to race around open worlds at your leisure. I'm much more into just riding dirtbikes than racing them. But it's nice to hear that there are playgrounds as well in the MX vs ATV games. Just checked out a video of Alive, on a Free Ride area, and it looks pretty good I gotta say. Might well pick this one up, so thanks for the suggestion! :)
    Last edited by Henke; 25-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    That model doesn't work for bikes because there's less "grey area" between "not fast enough" and "oh dear". That leads to the game being harder and thus fewer people play it.
    Plus imagine trying to simulate Marc Marquez and his ridiculous elbow on the floor insanity in a game!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •