Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

What are the most amazing online worlds you've visited

OK, I'll admit it, I miss Azeroth. I loved that place, I explored it in minute detail - I have memories of it like it was real.

And it strikes me that no other game has had that effect. OK, I spent longer on Azeroth than in most games but still - there's something about the place, the way it's seamless, the way you're encouraged (originally forced, perhaps) to explore it. To me, it's more real than many real places I've heard-of and not been to yet ;0

There are bits of other games which stick in the same way - I remember climbing a mountain in Age of Conan and being well impressed at the view - I remember some interesting places I chanced-across in Rift - but those games didn't feel like a 'whole world' - they felt more like a chain of rooms/levels (often boxed in cliches such as 'icy' and 'forest' and 'elf wood' etc.) - they weren't places you could explore at your own pace either...

Are there any other games which contain a world you can explore the way I explored Azeroth? Are there any online worlds that you think back to as-if you'd actually been there?

Note: yes, I know, I can generate such places in games like Minecraft - and I do - it's just there's no feeling of hand-crafted joy in those worlds. When you find something interested, you know it's really just a fluke ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Azeroth for me too. It's probably more to do with it being the first time I'd experienced a world that big and well crafted, and having spent several years subscribed to it, but there's probably a reason I did that for warcraft and not other open world games/mmo's.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Neocron. Maybe Everquest 1 when it first came out. But the basic formula of
    "sci-fi > watching paint dry > fantasy "
    still basically holds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I probably wouldn't call LotRO's Middle Earth "amazing" but it certainly tickles my "OH MY GOODNESS I KNOW ABOUT TAHT STATUE" sensibilities.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Counter Strike,i love me some sand indeed.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Probably 4chan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Morrowind for me definitely, a mixture of nostalgia, it actually being a good game, me playing it in my teens, and it being an interesting world made me explore that game for a long time and every environment and new character was interesting to me.

LOTRO's middle earth was great to explore as well, our group used to make the "Fellowship Journeys" where we would walk from hobbiton to rivendell and beyond and it used to be great and it was a lovely game.

Activated Node
    Dereth, mostly because of all the cool people I met.

Mass Effect! It might look a bit empty at times, but it sure kept my imagination running wild. Most parts of that world seem plausible and somehow like a fantastic possible future.

I don't really care about that reaper stuff, though. That part is just an excuse to shoot things and hero blabla ;)

edit: Hrm...Sorry, yeah, I failed to read the title correctly... I don't think Mass Effects world counts as online...

Network Hub
    I don't think I'll ever be so awed and enthused by a world as I was in WoW's Azeroth. I'd been playing games for a very long time before that, but it was the first game that made me feel like it was truly set in a world, and it was the first game that I kept playing for years and met some true friends in.

I keep trying out other MMOs to try to recapture that feeling, but I don't think anything can match your first. In my favourite gaming moments, at least the top 20 are in WoW, even though it's not my favourite game.

Welcome to Agon -
    http://darkfallonline.com/media/screenshots

"Enjoy the largest seamless, zone-less and non-instanced MMORPG world ever created. Explore five continents and countless small islands.It takes hours to simply travel from one end of the world to the other."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The idea of Darkfall always really appealed to me, but never tried it. What is it like to play? Would it be at all feasible to run around solo, exploring, crafting and fighting the odd monster, without taking part in large-scale clusterfuck battles (which do look cool, but don't appeal so much)?

Not really in the spirit of the thread but technically online: Dark Souls. Most immersive virtual world I have explored for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    The idea of Darkfall always really appealed to me, but never tried it. What is it like to play? Would it be at all feasible to run around solo, exploring, crafting and fighting the odd monster, without taking part in large-scale clusterfuck battles (which do look cool, but don't appeal so much)?
    yes, but i recommend making a few friends, because it wont necessarily be easy. however it is a lot of fun.
    let me know if you decide to hop in and ill hook you up with some good folks.

Obscure Node
    Cyrodiil - I never understood why people called it bland. I loved the forests; getting lost in the trees, finding herbs and hidden cabins. It was the first game where I walked to the top of a tall place, looked out over the world and thought 'I'm going to there next' virtually pointing miles and miles away. I would often press the caps lock key and just walk everywhere while swivelling the view around to look at all the flora.

For someone who enjoys the countryside like me, it was the perfect environment. I didn't enjoy Skyrim's snow covered wasteland.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cheers, may look into it although I have quite a few games on the go atm.

Azeroth pre-Cataclysm prob gets my vote as well. It was actually very believable, with great attention to detail and consistency. Pre-Cata it also seemed to encourage non-linear exploration and everything felt totally grounded in the world and it's history.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Mass Effect! It might look a bit empty at times, but it sure kept my imagination running wild. Most parts of that world seem plausible and somehow like a fantastic possible future.

I don't really care about that reaper stuff, though. That part is just an excuse to shoot things and hero blabla ;)

edit: Hrm...Sorry, yeah, I failed to read the title correctly... I don't think Mass Effects world counts as online...
    Yeah, that would be my answer too. Not online, but much better.
    If Mass Effect was an MMO, everyone would be Blasto and that's not fun.
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I saw the title and thought Azeroth too. Good times, like watching the sun rise over Warsong forest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    There aren’t many MMOs I will remember for the environments, especially when it comes to fantasy. What comes to mind right now is Atlas Park from City of Heroes. It was the starting area for new players. Far from being some out of the way little tutorial area, it was the central hub where everyone would cross paths and show off their powers to the newbies. Out in front of city hall was a massive statue of a hero holding the world on his shoulders, which was the first thing I flew up to once I gained the power of free-flight (all the travel powers were an absolute joy).

There was also an abandoned building one could enter in an adjacent western hub that was empty. Perhaps it was some cancelled content and the devs forgot to remove the entry point, because it was totally unique in that it was the only building that seemingly served no purpose and could be entered at any time. There were a couple of couches and half eaten pizza strew about the place, so we’d organize parties there.

Midgard. I loved exploring Midgard in DAOC and I slightly resent the fact that since I have already explored every last inch (nearly a decade ago by god) I can never do it again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Pre and post-sear Ascalon in Guild Wars 1 is really the only online world I've ever visited that left an impression, largely because you could so easily find familiar landmarks in the post-apocalyptic ruins. Also, because of the nature of the game, it wasn't crawling with bunny-hopping, immersion-shattering morons.