Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 3516

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Dark Souls for PC

    Can we get some coverage on RPS? I'd love to play these games and am without one of those small closed system computers every is all the rage about. [edit: sry PEBKAC when using rps search function, it was covered and I missed it when published]

    Also sign this:
    http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC
    Last edited by HothMonster; 08-03-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: PEBKAC

  2. #2
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kodeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by HothMonster View Post
    Can we get some coverage on RPS?
    There has been.

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/Dark-Souls/

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,950
    Can't find any official statements from Bamco regarding it, though. But there is a chance.

  4. #4
    Network Hub renhoelder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    167
    Maybe they learned from Alan Wake´s success that ports can be made to work and make a profit. Granted Remedie had previous experience with Max Payne and Dark Souls devs would probably have to go outside for a port.
    Anyway, would love if this game came out on PC

  5. #5
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Have there been any updates from Bandai-Namco?

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester / Finland
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Have there been any updates from Bandai-Namco?
    The representative who was the one communicating with the forumers posted in the old topic that spawned the petition a small while back, asking for the creator of the petition to contact him/Namco. Why, not told.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

  7. #7
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    At this point Dark Souls PC is unlikely. I just doubt that Namdai would want to go back to the game and do the work required for a decent conversion from scratch. Especially given how much work making a brand new multiplayer network would be.

    Dark Souls 2 (or whatever it'll be called) on PC on the otherhand...
    Last edited by Bhazor; 08-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Network Hub Namdrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    252
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Hidetaka Miyazaki dose not want to see it released on PC, for 2 reasons.

    --Part of the beauty of the game is that you cannot cheat, and that gameplay is wholly dictated by the game designer. A PC version would not only be cracked day 1, the gameplay would also be violated day 1.

    --It cannot be tuned properly because of the varieties of hardware. Bolting on KB/M controls, or having people use anything other than the controllers the game designer used during development would alter the designer's vision.

    The artist dictates to the audience, and if a videogame designer aspires to create videogame art, then artist must have control over the experience. And that can only happen on a console.

    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Hidetaka Miyazaki dose not want to see it released on PC, for 2 reasons.

    --Part of the beauty of the game is that you cannot cheat, and that gameplay is wholly dictated by the game designer. A PC version would not only be cracked day 1, the gameplay would also be violated day 1.

    --It cannot be tuned properly because of the varieties of hardware. Bolting on KB/M controls, or having people use anything other than the controllers the game designer used during development would alter the designer's vision.

    The artist dictates to the audience, and if a videogame designer aspires to create videogame art, then artist must have control over the experience. And that can only happen on a console.

    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Basically you're saying that they'd have to dumb down their game for a PC audience then?

    (I'm joking)But... it does raise an interesting point about how the PC as an open platform can perhaps be bad for auteur-like game designers (not that many exist these days).
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Yeah, only videogames are nothing like films and are defined by interactivity.

    Where did all this tripe come from anyway? Cheaters, seriously? Not only a minor part of players would do that, how would that even bother the developer? If he understands that games are systems and mechanics that the player interacts with, why he would so be against releasing his game on a more open platform just to deny some people the possibility to interact with the game the way they want (and spoiling it in the process, sure, but whatever).

    And it's a third-person action game which is about exploring and combat with carefully timed attacks. How could that not be easily translated to keyboard and mouse? And without ruining 'the designer vision'?

    Like, am I being trolled here?

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    Yeah, only videogames are nothing like films and are defined by interactivity.

    Where did all this tripe come from anyway? Cheaters, seriously? Not only a minor part of players would do that, how would that even bother the developer? If he understands that games are systems and mechanics that the player interacts with, why he would so be against releasing his game on a more open platform just to deny some people the possibility to interact with the game the way they want (and spoiling it in the process, sure, but whatever).

    And it's a third-person action game which is about exploring and combat with carefully timed attacks. How could that not be easily translated to keyboard and mouse? And without ruining 'the designer vision'?

    Like, am I being trolled here?

    Dude really wrote biggest pile of shit i read in a while :D

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQ1fvcw6qY

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    They can. Video-editing is relatively simple these days. I assume you've seen the Star Wars episodes 1-3 that don't mention Jar Jar, or at least heard of them.

  14. #14
    Network Hub Namdrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    They can. Video-editing is relatively simple these days. I assume you've seen the Star Wars episodes 1-3 that don't mention Jar Jar, or at least heard of them.
    Nope.

    My point was that some creative people want to maintain control over how people experience their output, not that it wasn't technically possible to hacknslash or mashup some video files. You know, like artists with this kind of attitude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0 , who actually get pissed when their work degraded or altered.

    But whatever, I was only speculating. Maybe Dark Souls guy doesn't give a rat's ass & there is no such thing as an uncompromising visionary videogame auteur who wants to ensure that anyone who plays his game experiences it exactly the way he intended.

    It'd be too bad though, as creative products designed by committee and based entirely on market research are always milquetoast and quickly forgotten.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Maybe Dark Souls guy doesn't give a rat's ass & there is no such thing as an uncompromising visionary videogame auteur who wants to ensure that anyone who plays his game experiences it exactly the way he intended.
    He shouldn't and there isn't. What you've described can never be a game.

    It'd be too bad though, as creative products designed by committee and based entirely on market research are always milquetoast and quickly forgotten.
    Yeah, why there can't be a creative lead that is supported and challenged by other people in his or her team? That's how most games are made, isn't it.

  16. #16
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    If you think interactivity or immersive gameplay ruins what you're making then you have no place making computer games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    It'd be too bad though, as creative products designed by committee and based entirely on market research are always milquetoast and quickly forgotten.
    I'm sure Valve would have something to say about that.

  17. #17
    Network Hub Namdrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    If you think interactivity or immersive gameplay ruins what you're making then you have no place making computer games.
    ?? Are you intentionally being obtuse. & I don't make computer games.


    I'm sure Valve would have something to say about that.
    I don't think Mr. Valve cares.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    He shouldn't and there isn't. What you've described can never be a game.
    ?? A game wherein the player cannot mod things, cheat etc.? like, oh idk, both Souls games?

    Yeah, why there can't be a creative lead that is supported and challenged by other people in his or her team? That's how most games are made, isn't it.
    so what. Most movies are made that way too, that doesn't mean there isn't room for the odd uncompromising visionary.

    Anyway, I'm done with this thread as I like discussions, not attacks. cheers.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Horrendous! It's certainly a good thing it's totally impossible for anyone to modify Citizen Kane to subvert the films original intent.

    EDIT: Oh, beaten. I should have read further before posting.
    Last edited by JackShandy; 08-03-2012 at 02:30 PM.

  19. #19
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    Who said that? Why did you quote my whole post? Did anyone even bring up the artistry of the game?
    This guy did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Hidetaka Miyazaki dose not want to see it released on PC, for 2 reasons.

    --Part of the beauty of the game is that you cannot cheat, and that gameplay is wholly dictated by the game designer. A PC version would not only be cracked day 1, the gameplay would also be violated day 1.

    --It cannot be tuned properly because of the varieties of hardware. Bolting on KB/M controls, or having people use anything other than the controllers the game designer used during development would alter the designer's vision.

    The artist dictates to the audience, and if a videogame designer aspires to create videogame art, then artist must have control over the experience. And that can only happen on a console.

    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Despite all the interesting debates people are having here, has anyone considered that larger Japanese Publishers / Developers generally don’t like doing PC versions of their games due to institutional mindset of developers?
    Note: I know Capcom are an exception to the rule.
    And Square Enix.
    And Sega.
    And Konami.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 09-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.

  20. #20
    Lesser Hivemind Node Scumbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    And Square Enix.
    And Sega.
    And Konami.
    Japanese developed games, not former Eidos etc... studio's works.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •