Page 23 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DzX View Post
    Ah this old argument. 'Everyone who doesn't agree with me is just unreasonable in expecting a game to support basic PC features'.
    No, it is more "there are clearly some people here who just want to bash the game endlessly".

That depends if you enjoyed the game despite its technical issues on consoles.
    ... Fair enough?
    My point is all the people who keep saying "You need super fast reaction time to play" and "it is going to look very blurry". The former: No, you don't. The latter: No more so than it looks for all the people who have been enjoying the game for almost a year.

It is the same as the guy who was complaining how it will look "horrible" "side-by-side". Side by side with what?

Like I keep saying, I think it more has to do with what people think a port should be. I, and most of the people who are tentatively awaiting this, lend toward "As good, if not better than, the source material" as the metric. Others seem to feel "Optimized and re-designed with the target platform in mind" should be the metric.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    No, it is more "there are clearly some people here who just want to bash the game endlessly".
    Probably because it is something potentially worth bashing. Constantly arguing in favor of the game [to the extent you actually try to support the claim it is an 'average port'] does little to cease bashing of said port when you make such claims.

My point is all the people who keep saying "You need super fast reaction time to play" and "it is going to look very blurry". The former: No, you don't. The latter: No more so than it looks for all the people who have been enjoying the game for almost a year.
    I don't like to set my standards alongside 6 year old hardware, if I did I'd not have bought a high-spec PC that cost significantly more than a console. All games are playable in that aspect, nobody is arguing otherwise, but not everyone is or agrees they should be satisfied playing at that level of graphical fidelity.

Like I keep saying, I think it more has to do with what people think a port should be.
    Well yes, that is primarily the problem with the port...

I, and most of the people who are tentatively awaiting this, lend toward "As good, if not better than, the source material" as the metric.
    You can't really complain when others claim you have low standards for this port then...

Darksiders 2 has been bashed for offering a higher quality port than that, why should Dark Souls get a pass?

Others seem to feel "Optimized and re-designed with the target platform in mind" should be the metric.
    Agreed, which is why I was commenting primarily on the fact it's simply not an average port [as deano claimed].

Again, take a look at the various lists of ports. (Sadly) Dark Souls counts as an average port.

Note: For the definition of "port" I am referring to titles that were primarily developed for console release with the PC release as an afterthought. There is an argument for just about any Ubi game from the past few years, not so much games like Human Revolution that had simultaneous launches.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Again, take a look at the various lists of ports. (Sadly) Dark Souls counts as an average port.
    Please, tell me another 3D game ported from consoles that can't run natively at higher resolutions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Your error is to assume that a port that is average with respect to other ports is an average port. It could just be that most ports are bad ports.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Please, tell me another 3D game ported from consoles that can't run natively at higher resolutions.
    Apparently GTA: SA, if deano is to be believed
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post177828

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Your error is to assume that a port that is average with respect to other ports is an average port. It could just be that most ports are bad ports.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average
    In mathematics, an average is a measure of the "middle" or "typical" value of a data set.

Hence the "(Sadly)"
    Last edited by gundato; 20-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.

You don't think that's an indication of the ports [less than average] quality, that you have to look at a game released on the PS2 by a company that has never cared for the PC for a comparison?

In fact that reminds me, L.A Noire was ported to the PC after its console release, locked at 30 fps and poorly optimized [and the graphical options made little difference] yet it still offers the ability to run natively at higher resolutions...and that was seen as a below average port.
    Last edited by DzX; 20-08-2012 at 03:27 PM.

You don't think that's an indication of the ports [less than average] quality, that you have to look at a game released on the PS2 by a company that has never cared for the PC for a comparison?
    And the devs and publishers of Dark Souls never really cared about the PC either...

Also, I would be very interested to know just how many titles out there are using the same trick (3d Resolution fixed, output resolution scaled), but are less honest about it.

And the devs and publishers of Dark Souls never really cared about the PC either...
    That's hardly an excuse...they were heavily petitioned by PC gamers to port the game, they can see the Steam accounts figures for themselves if they needed proof the market was there. Lists of features PC gamers wanted were drawn up across the internet. There's no excuse for a port this terrible given the game was on the Xbox 360.

According to this Wiki deano is also wrong, though obviously I have no idea what it was like on release or if they are referring to fan mods.
    Last edited by DzX; 20-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average
    In mathematics, an average is a measure of the "middle" or "typical" value of a data set.

Hence the "(Sadly)"
    Fortunately, we don't speak in mathematics. If I say I have had an average day, I don't mean that of all the days I've had, this day falls somewhere in the middle. I mean it's a decent day, acceptable, but not much more.

Network Hub
    Deano isn't to be believed, GTA: SA renders at the resolution specified, it just has a very limited selection of 16:10 and 16:9 resolutions, if I remember correctly it caps out at 1680x1050, odd really given Vice City runs at any resolution you want, but otherwise SA doesn't limit the frame buffer to a fixed preset.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Fortunately, we don't speak in mathematics. If I say I have had an average day, I don't mean that of all the days I've had, this day falls somewhere in the middle. I mean it's a decent day, acceptable, but not much more.
    Depends on what sort of average you are using. Is Dark Souls a mean, median or mode average port? I would say none of them, it probably falls below any average based on the information given.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 20-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    Depends on what sort of average you are using. Is Dark Souls a mean, median or mode average port?
    I have no idea, because applying mathematics terminology in ordinary discussions is pure madness.

Okey dokeys then. From now on, assume that when I say the word "average' I mean "About in the middle of the spectrum". Apparently I am mad for using the real definition http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...src=ref&ch=dic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    According to this Wiki deano is also wrong, though obviously I have no idea what it was like on release or if they are referring to fan mods.
    It was fine at launch but then they patched it and took 16:9 resolutions out. The only way to get them back is to downgrade the game.

I'm starting to agree with you lot that FROM should just not have bothered. It is sucky for a port to have that, though I'm realising now through this discussion exactly why we don't get ports of games like RDR and Brutal Legend... if you can't easily fix this rendering problem then you can't get away with releasing on PC. Makes a lot of ports unviable, which is a shame.

Network Hub
    Impressions after having played it at GamesCom (in the new PvP mode): the gameplay is sluggish enough for 30 FPS not to be a huge issue. Graphics are kind of terrible, though. Also, I still have no clue why the game wouldn't work better on a keyboard+mouse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Game works fine on K/M as far i know,on the other hand graphics,locked framerate,locked res..COUGH :D

Just looked at the store page to see how long there is left till release and noticed the system specs seem different to what I remember. Did they just ramp up the AMD graphics requirements on it?

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post

I'm starting to agree with you lot that FROM should just not have bothered. It is sucky for a port to have that, though I'm realising now through this discussion exactly why we don't get ports of games like RDR and Brutal Legend... if you can't easily fix this rendering problem then you can't get away with releasing on PC. Makes a lot of ports unviable, which is a shame.
    Pretty much. I mean dark souls had such fantastic word of mouth, to see all the hate the pc version has received just because it is the same game as on console makes the lack of RDR etc on PC so much more understandable.

But whatever, if some great games are console only, I'll just play them there.

Banned
    Is it just me or is Pyromancer Set best armor in the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Is it just me or is Pyromancer Set best armor in the game?
    I think the set you get in the beginning of the Demon Ruins is basically the Pyromancer set but with higher resists. Armor isn't really all that important though, unless you are worried about stacking a certain resist for a specific area/encounter. I just go with whatever looks good and still gives me decent mobility. I think once I got Ornstein's armor I never took it off, and am still rocking it in NG+.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."