Page 94 of 176 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 3516
    For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a HD font mod over at Dark Souls Nexus. It makes the game a lot easier on the eyes.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a HD font mod over at Dark Souls Nexus. It makes the game a lot easier on the eyes.
    Oh man, a godsend. Thanks for pointing this out. Though part of me might miss the craggy, sad, depressed type treatment...

On another note, I can't wait for a mod to reskin Blighttown with rainbows, fluffy clouds and happy clowns who just want to hug. They could call it Blithetown.
    steam

Banned
    Blighttown gets a lot of bad rep but on the PC with no framerate issues? It's a pretty cool place.

Kind of reminds me of Hydroponics in System Shock 2 - it's "that moment in game" where difficulty ramps up, but rewards make up for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Any other non-DSfix mods worth getting?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I just finished it, and boy I was way overlevelled for the final few bosses. Good game though, excited for DS2.
    steam: sketch

Activated Node
    I'm not sure there's a thing as 'being overlevelled'. Gear upgrades are worth more than character upgrades in any case.

The last couple of bosses are a tad easier than some that came before. (The Dynamic Duo and the 4 kings are among the hardest). The final boss in particular is 'easy'. Add to that youŽll probably gained skill in the game: and there it is.

Now start New game+ :P

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hmm, quick thought - Stephen King once wrote that good fantasy is about gaining and losing power. I think it's a great description of Dark Souls where even you have better gear etc. there will be always some moments where you think "there's no fucking way I'm gonna beat that boss".

Damn this game. I bought it on release, last August, but, after one thing or another, I never got round to playing it properly (losing 5,000 souls and 3 humanity in the Undead Burg - all that I'd saved up in my first two hours to level up with - was probably the deciding factor). I started playing again about 3 weeks ago, made a new character, chose a new gift, gave him a new name... And now I'm hooked. 130 hours in that 3 weeks or so.

The port is still terrible, the interface is so far from being a PC interface that I'd be tempted to say it was part of the challenge (why can't I use my mouse on the inventory menus?), and when I quit out of the game to the main menu it still amazes me that it plays the 3 publisher/dev/havok logo videos before it gets to the menu (seriously, who thought that was how it should be done?). But by Gods, the game beneath all of those issues is so glorious... almost to the point that, after I managed to get sucked in and waited for DSFix to do some more jazz and got that tweaked etc., I barely notice them.

It's awesome though, if you can see past/ignore those problems... Not just the gameplay, but the story as well, despite how 'thin' it is, I guess. And the world itself... I still get slightly astounded when I, say, look down from Firelink Shrine to Blighttown, and recognise the buttresses you were fighting/running around, and can even see the Great Hollow entrance tree. And the way that, if I think about the path from Firelink to B'town, and the space it occupies, down the long tunnel to the Moss vendor, then taking a right, through the wall opposite F'link into the Depths, then going down to the top of B'town and then down further to the swamp, it all works. Everything is in the right place, it all lines up. I'm not 100%, but I get the impression that if you were to actually make a perfect physical copy of the game world, and line it all up as it is in the game, getting all the angles etc. then it would work... everything would fit together as it does in the game... when I can see X from Y, that's because X really is in that place relative to Y. The consistency, and the feeling of actually being in that place is pretty special.

Terrific gameplay as well... I think it was with the Taurus Demon that I finally 'got' it, and how to beat a Boss. And it was for the Capra Demon that I last put my controller down hard enough to dislodge the battery pack. After that, I realised the game is perfectly fair... I'm just terrible. I spent 5 hours of a perfectly good Friday night on the beating of Ornstein & Smough... and the feeling when I did it was magical. I also spent two days 'preparing' for the Sanctuary Guardian fight, after it soundly thrashed me 5 or 6 times, and I lost my bloodstain. I went away and farmed to get my equipment up, got the rite of kindling etc., went back with lightning defences and the Elite Knight set +9, and had everything sorted & ready to go. Except, I forgot it can poison you. And it poisoned me. And I didn't have Purple Moss in my quickslots, and couldn't go into the menu to use it... so I was stuck, poisoned, for the entire fight. And when that first dose of poison ran out... it poisoned me again. Still managed to beat it, with 2 of my 20 Estus flasks intact.

Jolly cooperation is great, but... I can't summon people to help me. I managed it once, but every time I try I get the summoning failed message... had to stick with NPCs for a lot of the bosses. Although, I can be summoned, I can invade and have been invaded multiple times. I still haven't got all of the intricacies of Invasion yet, especially to do with the Darkmoon and Dark Anor Londo... though, I did get summoned by a guy who was there and was waiting for the Darkmoon Blade people to come get him (he said they were bugged), we had an epic 90 minutes of destroying invaders, 1 of us hiding behind a pillar in the Cathedral, jumping the invaders from behind etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Seems like you found this out already, Unaco, but DSFix and the M&K fix are 100% required for the PC port -- no one should attempt playing without those properly set up. Once you can skip the logos and track the cursor to navigate menus and etc, Dark Souls' biggest problems are gone. Even if you're using a controller, install the M&K fix. I've got block and parry and a few other actions bound to my mouse and it makes mousing/keyboarding much easier.
    steam

Is there an easy way back to the Firelink shrine from Anor Londo? I am at S&O, but there is some stuff I want to do before dealing with them and going backwards through Sen's fortress seems doable but I'm not exactly looking forwards to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Is there an easy way back to the Firelink shrine from Anor Londo? I am at S&O, but there is some stuff I want to do before dealing with them and going backwards through Sen's fortress seems doable but I'm not exactly looking forwards to it.
    There is an easy way... after O&S. Before them, not really... go back to where you got dropped off in Anor Londo, and you can go back to where you got picked up in Sens. Then, if you've got a certain key, you can use a shortcut from the top of Sens (just before the Boss fight, 2 cages) all the way down to the first bridge-with-swinging-blades of Sens.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

You can fall through Sens Fortress too if you really have to. I really recommend doing S&O though, it the item you get afterwards makes the game SO much easier in terms of getting around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Yes, I just beat the two bosses which aren't too hard when you summon Sunbro and an additional stranger.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Hmmm, maybe I will just keep throwing myself at them then. My main issue is I rely way too much on the lightning spear at the moment, and I never revisited the asylum so I need to get that done at some point anyways.

I think I opened that shortcut, just never used it. That's one thing I really appreciate about Dark Souls, every time I think "damn, I really wish this game had fast travel" I play another hour and open a shortcut to get back where I needed to go.

Edit: My problem with my delightful friend is everytime I use humanity to summon him someone else shows up too and kills me. Considering playing offline for just this fight but that seems kind of lame. I've killed small dude once, but super big dude killed me while I was learning his patterns.
    Last edited by lasikbear; 21-03-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I forged myself Qualaag's Fury Sword and upgraded it to level 3 so far, It's fire attribute is effective against most enemies unless they're fire themselfs, Smough and that other guy who's name I forgot are weak against fire and resistant to Lightning so it isn't really smart to use the lightning spear on them.

Also try to kill Smough first because when Whatshisface dies, Smough gets enraged, regains his full health and charges his hammer with lightning.

Also I just found a Black Knight Greataxe which can kill giants in a couple of hits, I can wield it with two hands for no penalty and only need to more strenth to wield it single handedly.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 21-03-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Edit: My problem with my delightful friend is everytime I use humanity to summon him someone else shows up too and kills me. Considering playing offline for just this fight but that seems kind of lame. I've killed small dude once, but super big dude killed me while I was learning his patterns.
    Yes. This happened to me... I think that's why I was 5 hours on the pair of them, what with the Invasions and having to kill the 2 Royal Sentinels everytime. Although, if you think AnorLondo is bad for invasions, wait til you enter Oolacile township (from my experience anyways).

Also sounds like how I went as well... Getting Beanpole away from Fatty, and taking him down, I managed to get quite easily. Learning Fatty's moves, and when to hit, when to break camera lock, when to heal, and then putting all that learning to use, took some time.

Edit: Not sure how direct you'll take assistance, if you don't want it too direct, look away now.

You can avoid invaders... by entering the boss fight fog. That sends them home, and lets you get on with the fight, if you're all prepared for it etc. Took me a while to figure that one out, but can be useful if they're constantly being interrupted. Also, being in one of the "White covenants" (Way of the White, Sunlight Warriors or Princess' Guard) means you'll get less invaders and (hopefully) more summonable people... it basically puts you closer on the network to members of these 3 covenants, meaning there'll be fewer invaders touching your network and able to invade.

If you have Quelaag's Soul still, and a +10 curved sword (you need Andrei to Ascend it once from +5 to +6 before you arrive in Anor Londo) you can get either Quelaag's Furysword or Quelaag's Chaos Blade. The Chaos Blade drains YOUR health as well as enemies, so be warned... whereas, the Furysword is at its best only if you have 10 humanity on board. But the Furysword is a good weapon, for that boss fight and for that level of the game.

If you want some more resilience, specifically resilience to Lightning, which you'll face from Ornstein and then Super Smough as well, the merchant in Sen's Fortress sells a nice little ring of Lightning protection (and one of Magic protection, and there's a Fire protection ring on Sen's as well). It costs a whack of souls, but those 3 rings can be great for that extra elemental defence.
    Last edited by Unaco; 21-03-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Yeah, I was going to leave to go make a fire spear and try to get more humanity. I like the lightning spear so much I figured I would try to keep things as close as possible to it, but I have some other weapons that might work and farming the giants to upgrade them is easy enough.

I used the pillars a lot, they give you time to heal and he can't hit you with a lot of his attacks. The one to watch out for is the jumping lightening smash. I think S&O is probably the toughest fight in the game, closely followed by the Four kings.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ah yes the Oolacile township, I don't think I've ever not been invaded there. Was recently playing there on my brute of a character. Quite convenient though, using a BKGA and fully clad in heavy armour makes you quite well placed to deal with invaders, killed 3 of them during my stint in the area. People seem not to expect a heavily armoured character to not move like a fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    People seem not to expect a heavily armoured character to not move like a fatty.
    Yeah, I have ridiculous Endurance (40, when everything else is high 20s at most), full Black Iron set, Silver Knight shield, and a Greatsword, and Havel's ring... Just beneath 50% of equip load, so I can still run around fine. I have found it quite amusing when Invaders have tried to run away, to drag me out or tire me... and they haven't got away. I can keep running them down til they're out of stamina, and still have enough for a few swings.

I do have trouble against pure Magic/Casting builds though.

Also, Oolacile for Invasion confuses me... The PvP arena is right next to it!! Why be so cruel and horrible to the people trying to get through the level? I know Invasion is part of the game, but I could never bring myself to do it... I know other's pain, and I'd never want to willingly add to that.

I might tell you about the worst invader I had, some time. If I can bear to relive it...
    Last edited by Unaco; 21-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.