Page 176 of 176 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176
Results 3,501 to 3,516 of 3516
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Well, we all know that the only true purpose for the bow is to don the silver knight armor and invade in Anor Londo...
    I once joined someone's game to help take out Seath. He got invaded while we were in the crystal caves. The invader spawned above us and begun making his way carefully down, when my host pulled out a Dragonslayer Bow. I gasped, almost unable to watch what was about to happen. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in Dark Souls.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Obscure Node
    Very happy to say I completed it and on my NG+ I have got to sens fortress roof in a few hours :)

Finding NG+ pretty easy atm.

The start of NG+ definitely is. Anor Londo and the DLC content are where it's getting tricky, but even that was alright until NG+4.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa

Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

So I started a play through of Dark Souls, which I was hoping to do unspoiled (this is my first time in the thread, and I really don't know a whole lot about the game). However, I've run into a bit of difficulty with the controls. I'm playing it using a pad, however I can't seem to get my character to do certain things consistently. For example, Kicking is far more miss than hit (as in, for whatever reason the characters seems to always just attack rather than kick), and similarly, I can't seem to get the lunge working either.

I'm only just past the asylum Demon (so not very far at all). I'm also having a little bit of difficulty with the traps: I can see them at the top of stairs/etc, but by the time I get far enough up them to trigger, I can't seem to get down and out of the way. What am I doing wrong?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yup. Immediately after beating the game for the first time I fired up NG+, and within a couple hours I had killed O&S without dying once. I stopped then and never went back to that character.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    So I started a play through of Dark Souls, which I was hoping to do unspoiled (this is my first time in the thread, and I really don't know a whole lot about the game). However, I've run into a bit of difficulty with the controls. I'm playing it using a pad, however I can't seem to get my character to do certain things consistently. For example, Kicking is far more miss than hit (as in, for whatever reason the characters seems to always just attack rather than kick), and similarly, I can't seem to get the lunge working either.

I'm only just past the asylum Demon (so not very far at all). I'm also having a little bit of difficulty with the traps: I can see them at the top of stairs/etc, but by the time I get far enough up them to trigger, I can't seem to get down and out of the way. What am I doing wrong?
    I always found kicking and lunging attacks hit or miss, but they aren't really needed if you aren't doing a super low SL run

As for avoiding traps: Learn to roll. Using the Asylum Boulder example: The moment you see it (or think you see it), start dodgerolling down the steps and over the side.

But don't worry, traps of that variety aren't particularly common, outside of one area.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    When it comes to kicking and lunging: The best advise i can give is to try to not press up and the corresponding bumper at the same time, but with a very, very slight delay - Push up first, then press the bumper. While trying to get comfortable with it i'd just push the analogue stick up all the way quickly untill it hits the edge and audibly clicks, then try to press the bumper once you hear that click.

Oh and since I've noticed you mentioning something about tinkering with the framerate over in the screenshot thread: When i was tinkering with setting up the game back then i noticed that kicking felt like it got a bit more unreliable if the game runs unlocked/at 60fps. (And just in case you're actually running it at 60fps: I'd recommend that you don't do that - The whole physics engine can become really, really wonky if the game runs at 60fps - Collision detection becomes unreliable, some ladders and lifts become death-traps, etc. - For best results you usually want to unlock the framerate and then cap it to 30 via dsfix)

Ah and to add an alternative to gundato's advise to dodgeroll out of the way of those traps: Actually running up the stairs and doing a running u-turn without stopping once the trap gets kicked down works pretty well, also. Especially on one of the few similar traps that you'll encounter in a bit, where dodgerolling to the side can be a bit suicidal.

Thanks for the guidance folks.

I had noticed some weird behaviour from the physics engine, but it hadn't been a bother yet. I will take your advice and dial the FPS back to 30 though (oddly DSFix only recommends not going over 60fps, but doesn't mention that adjusting up to 60fps can also cause some issues).

Question about kicking and lunging: I figured they were probably the moves I wanted to use to break enemies who are just turtling behind a shield, but I haven't actually been able to test that yet because of how terrible the buttons/combos for getting them to work are. so without too many spoilers, am I wasting my time with that?

Network Hub
    Question about kicking and lunging: I figured they were probably the moves I wanted to use to break enemies who are just turtling behind a shield, but I haven't actually been able to test that yet because of how terrible the buttons/combos for getting them to work are. so without too many spoilers, am I wasting my time with that?
    Yep, breaking the guard of turtling enemies is pretty much what the kick is there for - It also can be quite useful to create some space is some situations or to simply kick enemies off of ledges in a couple of places. But in the long run it might not be worth the hassle to learn to reliably kick (even though it's certainly possible... at some point it'll just "click"), as gundato has pointed out, since the kick becomes less useful the further you get into the game. It's usually much more prudent to learn how to bait attacks from shielding enemies.

Also worthy of note: Not every weapon actually has a kick in its moveset - The scimitar (or maybe curved swords in general, i can't remember) for example replaces the kick with a quick slash&backflip type of attack if i remember correctly.

So it seems my choices are either bashing my head against this guy, or the black knight that's kicking around.

I also had a couple more questions if people don't mind. Firstly, What is it that the blood stains are supposed to do? I've clicked them a few times and it just seems to spawn a ghost (which I presume is another player?) for a bit, and then it disappears.
    I'm also wondering what kindling and reverse hollowed do.
    Last edited by Wheelz; 08-05-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Network Hub
    So it seems my choices are either bashing my head against the guy, or the black knight that's kicking around.

I also had a couple more questions if people don't mind. Firstly, What is it that the blood stains are supposed to do? I've clicked them a few times and it just seems to spawn a ghost (which I presume is another player?) for a bit, and then it disappears.
    I'm also wondering what kindling and reverse hollowed do.
    Ah, good old taurus demon... there are a couple of ways to deal with him - First of all, the general purpose tip: With a good shield and enough endurance you can block pretty much anything! The main problem new players seem to have with the taurus is that they don't even try to block and just panic right away. Well and the foolproof way of dealing with him requires you to do something that the tutorial taught you to do - spoiler/hint/walkthrough: look behind you when you enter that area, there's a ladder there that is easy to miss. It's fairly easy to bait the taurus into standing in front of that tower for a few moments, giving you enough time to climb up and do a plunging attack on him - then you can just run to the other side of the bridge, wait untill he's about to catch up with you and roll past him to climb up again, rinse/repeat untill he's dead. Don't spent too much time on the tower, though, as he can and WILL jump up...

When it comes to the technical stuff: Blood stains simply show you the last moments of another player's life. Usually you just see someone dying random deaths, like being killed by an enemy or rolling off a cliff, but they can be useful for spotting traps or ambushes. If you see multiple bloodstains in an area that looks otherwise calm: expect trouble.

Kindling: A kindled bonfire increases the amount of flask charges you get on your estus - A normal bonfire gives you 5 charges, while a kindled one gives you 10 or more (the bonfire in firelink shrine is already kindled, which is why it gives you more)

Reverse hollowing: This is a bit more complicated. with reverse hollowing you can use 1 "soft" humanity (if you see a number larger than 0 in the top left corner it means that you have "soft" humanity) to turn human again. As long as you're human you can summon other players (and npcs!), get invaded, kindle bonfires and some npcs react differently. While getting used to the game i wouldn't worry about it, since you turn hollow again as soon as you die once, so it's fairly easy to just waste a bunch of humanity that might come in handy later.

1. Maybe try out the tower behind you.

2. Blood stains mean that another player died there recently. The ghost shows what happened to him or her.

3. Kindling means that you gain more estus flasks from resting. This is very limited until you fight a certain boss later on.

4. Reversing hollowing (or turning human) pretty much enables the multiplayer part of the game. It allows you to summon other players and other players may also invade you. On top of that being human gives you a slight boost to all resistances and item drop rates. You also no longer look like beef jerky. If you die you turn hollow again. However, humanity is very hard to come by early on so don't use it unless you're truly desperate.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Obscure Node
    Hit my first wall on NG+ the giants just before O and S are a pain in my butt, nearly killed O+S with a players help but died and now am without humanity, any ideas? also the only time I saw summon signs was when I got invaded, not seen any others near bonfire or fog gate?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candril View Post
    Hit my first wall on NG+ the giants just before O and S are a pain in my butt, nearly killed O+S with a players help but died and now am without humanity, any ideas? also the only time I saw summon signs was when I got invaded, not seen any others near bonfire or fog gate?
    Farm enemies for humanity or do co-op?

And it sounds like you may have had connection issues. Basically, once you start seeing summon signs, you are eligible for summons and invasions. If you don't see any (but you should), then odds are your connection is wonky.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Farm enemies for humanity or do co-op?

And it sounds like you may have had connection issues. Basically, once you start seeing summon signs, you are eligible for summons and invasions. If you don't see any (but you should), then odds are your connection is wonky.
    Thanks, can I do co-op without humanity?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by candril View Post
    Thanks, can I do co-op without humanity?
    You can place your summon sign without humanity, but you cannot summon another player.