Page 148 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3477
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Guy makes mistake in video game. News at 11.
    Well, he did it more than a few times from when I switched over. And since the question was "is he going to get better any time soon?" and he was in knight/elite knight (I can't tell the difference visually), it seemed pertinent.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    It takes Jeff a little longer to glom onto things and he's not playing under ideal conditions on a laptop with a small windowed screen (New PC imminent), however he's surprisingly cool under fire once he figures out what needs to be done. He took the gaping Dragon at the beginning of the previous stream pretty easily, despite only a couple of attempts at it the stream before.

Yes it can be frustrating, but that's pretty much true of any stream in truth (no one ever plays exactly how we would). But a lot depends on whether you're familiar with who Jeff Green is. I'm guessing you're not.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying his streams. The one where he killed Petrus literally had me laughing out loud. Whenever he hits down on the d-pad, however, he hits left as well and puts his shield away which he then fails to notice. That's just an example of things that drive me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Yes but he acknowledged the error and then beat Havel when it counted even though his daughter came in and started distracting him. Chat was literally having a collective aneurysm when that happened as it was his last attempt of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Guy makes mistake in video game. News at 11.
    To be fair, he's stopped to drink Estus while getting attacked over a dozen times already. Most of the time, he doesn't do it on purpose, he just panics.

Lesser Hivemind Node

Dark Souls 1 Advice

Normally I wouldn't dream of spoiling anything about a game like Dark Souls. Discovery - and the risks it requires - are part of the atmosphere. But Dark Souls II will be upon us in about 1.5 months. I would like to have my initial play through of Dark Souls wrapped up then. Not to mention multi-player in Dark Souls goes away with GFWL - as does, quite possibly, the game itself, or most of its functionality.

So with that in mind, I am reaching out to the community for a little advice. Doesn't have to be a walkthrough; I am looking to avoid that level of spoiler. Hence, coming here instead.

So without further delay: I am currently sitting at the Bonfire in the Depths. The Devouring Dragon is slain - which was borderline easy after 25 deaths to Capra Demon and his subsequent death by firebomb. I also have the item which allows weapons to be ascended. But I lack the Master Key. I am Soul Level 32, at 22 in both Dex and Strength, and 20 Endurance. Elite Knight armor has my Poise around 48 - 50.

My questions:

-Push into Blighttown and find another shortcut back to Firelink later? Or Backtrack and Ascend a weapon, such as the Balder Sword, now?

-Am I missing opportunities to farm for vital items I have not yet found? Not asking for spoilers or item descriptions, etc; just a general yes/no. hot or cold, if you will.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I look forward to stumbling in blind terror through Dark Souls II now this game has grabbed me, but right now my biggest terror for Dark Souls - given that I do have limited gaming time - is that I will not be able to finish it by April/May, or even by the time GFWL is removed and the core of the game goes with it.

Thanks again to any and all takers.

Network Hub
    Generally speaking, it's always a good idea to upgrade items. You might not have the necessary upgrade material to go far with upgrading however. You can farm it close by to where you are, but that's a rather dull spot to do so and later opportunities might be far more efficient. You mentioning the Elite Knight Armor tells me you've been to that place, good. I take it you've thoroughly explored that area?

Whether you have or not, if you're a fan of spiders - feel free to proceed to Blighttown. If not, consider searching for your inner self to become a fan of spiders. At least temporarily and I'm not talking arachnophobia here.

This is about as spoiler-free as I can get. You'll probably know what I'm talking about if you've been to the right places.
    Also, there's actually a pretty long Dark Souls Thread around here somewhere, might want to go there.

edit: take your Time, namco announced they'd look into porting the first game away from gfwl.
    Last edited by theForged; 08-03-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Backtrack. You'll likely regret heading down without a +6 weapon and a smithbox, and there's a secret area that shouldn't be too difficult to find if you've been paying attention. A certain item there will be of immense use later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Push to Blighttown. You're a third into the game, for reference. You don't need the master key and whatever weapon you're comfortable with is the one you should use...for now. A little bit up into the game you may start thinking about minmaxing your stuff, but not now. You'll know anyway.

For blighttown, you don't really need a +6 weapon. It can't hurt (and it isn't a long walk from the depths), but it isn't necessary.

But do have a +6 or higher before you do the thing after blighttown.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the info.

The Smithbox I have. Also, the one for armor. Something told me I would regret not purchasing them, so I did so promptly once the Boar and the Heavy Knight were defeated in the Parish.

Regarding the secret area...I know I can fight a giant rat. I can even walk right beside him. And honestly, after the Devouring Dragon, I expect I can beat the Rat without too awful much trouble. I have a feeling I need to figure out how to get there. As for the Heavy Crossbow, got it, but it wasn't much use against the Dragon, honestly.

My weapon of choice right now is Balder Side Sword. I have the Drake Sword and the Crystal Sword as well, but am figuring out the trap that dependency on the Drake Sword becomes. Only after slogging through the Dragon fight using it, did I realize I could have added fire to the balder side sword and thus had a faster weapon with a strong elemental effect. I suspect I will soon be rid of the Drake Sword, as its running up against its own ceiling pretty quickly, at least for now.

So I think I will look around a bit. Really take my time with it for now and explore the depths. I know the enemies pretty well and most of them are not hard. So long as the Butchers do not respawn I should be fine, and even if they do, I beat both of them on the first go round the first time.

Is it just me, or can this game really get its claws into you once it clicks?

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    For blighttown, you don't really need a +6 weapon. It can't hurt (and it isn't a long walk from the depths), but it isn't necessary.

But do have a +6 or higher before you do the thing after blighttown.
    It isn't necessary per se, but the place is annoying enough as it is and it does help with the boss fight at the end. Same goes for the ring; it's not necessary, but it does help with the slog.

Edit: Yes, to the point of being harmful to your mental health depending on just how obsessive you are. :P
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 08-03-2014 at 01:59 AM.

The existing Dark Souls thread is here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...k-Souls-for-PC

Don't sweat the DS2 release date or GFWL shutdown rumors. The designers did include some contingencies for offline players. Just enjoy DS at your own pace. Rushing through just to keep up and then shelve it would be tragic. DS2 can wait, and I wouldn't want to risk getting burnt out by trying to play them back to back.

I wonder if you revisited the Asylum after ringing the first bell. If not, it's wise to do so after the second bell.

Go to Blighttown. There is plenty of gear and loot to find on your way down. The swamp slugs are farmable, but it really isn't necessary unless you are achievement hunting, and you're better off just exploring thoroughly.

I recommend investing some souls in Pyromancy when you next get the chance, as the extra options are quite valuable, and some basic faith with healing miracles are good backup too if you decide to build for strength and endurance. This is probably the better style for a first playthrough than going for a glass-cannon dexterity build.

On a fun note: Dark Souls 2 comes out next week for those of us who are sick and fucking tired of CheatEngine abusing shitheads :p

Seriously though, I am grabbing it on the PS3 (I might get it on sale for the PC at some point, just because). So when it hits PC (April?) I should hopefully be able to provide some spoiler-free hints. Unless I have a repeat of the joys of my NG+ run where I spent a good 30 minutes trying to magic the final boss before realizing a very simple flaw in the AI :p. For those interested: Every time you cast a spell he dodges, so just spam soul masses and he can't hit you. Don't try to make an opening, just fire spells

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks again for all of the info. Very handy stuff. I think I will backtrack a bit. Especially since I am struggling with my build. I had in mind a Dex build, but since finding the Elite Knight armor and gaining some serious Poise, I find that the ability to stand up to hits is nice.

As for miracles and faith...I struggle to understand that system. Its one that isn't very well explained, and while I love the sense of mystery inherent in Dark Souls I think the systems could use some highlighting instead of having been buried in that same sense of mystery that cloaks the game world.

My main problem with spells is that, too often in RPG's, they make the game too easy, essentially breaking things. But this could be a point of view conditioned by too many years spent on Bethesda RPG's, where balance is essentially non-existent anyway. I highly doubt any Miracle you acquire will make Dark Souls anything approaching actually easy.

One thing to consider: Just restart. You have learned a lot, and even Capra probably won't take you too long at this point

Magic system:

Sorceries are a function of your int: You need a minimum int to cast a spell, and your int affects the power of your spell through your catalyst (Mag. Adjust)

Miracles are a function of your faith: Same as above, but with talismans

Pyromancies are purely a function of your pyromancer's flame

The Miracles in Dark Souls aren't particularly overpowered, but they have some really nice buffs and some of the strongest offensive spells in the game. I personally feel they are overshadowed by pyromancy for buffs, but the Miracle-based buffs are some of the best for a damage boost and the like.

Sorceries are the best offensive spells. Some really heavy hitters and, with the DLC, they are effective at all ranges

Pyromancy is theoretically the middle-of-the-road magic. But it has two ridiculously powerful buffs (I need to check the numbers, but I think Power Within is stronger than any Miracle, it just drains your health) and some VERY powerful offensive spells that do damage most of the harder bosses are vulnerable to (if not outright weak to).

My Platinum Trophy run from a week or two ago was mostly built around Sorcery+Pyromancy, and it was ridiculously easy.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    One thing to consider: Just restart. You have learned a lot, and even Capra probably won't take you too long at this point

Magic system:

Sorceries are a function of your int: You need a minimum int to cast a spell, and your int affects the power of your spell through your catalyst (Mag. Adjust)

Miracles are a function of your faith: Same as above, but with talismans

Pyromancies are purely a function of your pyromancer's flame

The Miracles in Dark Souls aren't particularly overpowered, but they have some really nice buffs and some of the strongest offensive spells in the game. I personally feel they are overshadowed by pyromancy for buffs, but the Miracle-based buffs are some of the best for a damage boost and the like.

Sorceries are the best offensive spells. Some really heavy hitters and, with the DLC, they are effective at all ranges

Pyromancy is theoretically the middle-of-the-road magic. But it has two ridiculously powerful buffs (I need to check the numbers, but I think Power Within is stronger than any Miracle, it just drains your health) and some VERY powerful offensive spells that do damage most of the harder bosses are vulnerable to (if not outright weak to).

My Platinum Trophy run from a week or two ago was mostly built around Sorcery+Pyromancy, and it was ridiculously easy.

That is a tempting idea. I don't think I would struggle too much with a restart, if I went that route. I had even considered restarting as a Pyromancer class, wondering whether it might make some boss fights easier. I just didn't know enough about how the magic system in Dark Souls works to know whether it would help.

I may well go this route and examine how much difference it makes. I would tear through the Burg with a restart now. Though I would likely take the Master Key as a gift.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The only advice you need is to stop buffing both strength and dexterity.

Don't restart.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    The only advice you need is to stop buffing both strength and dexterity.

Don't restart.
    Thanks for the advice. I tried a Sorcerer for about an hour; not my style.

As for my current character, I have reached a point with both Strength and Dex where I think most players stop buffing one in favor of the other. I know some go all the way to 28 dex before they stop, due to the one sword; but a lot of others do, at this point, tend to choose one or the other by now if not before. I need to do the same in order to maximize my use of souls.

I like the idea of wielding strength based shields. But I have found that where weapons are concerned, I tend to like Dex based weapons better. They are lighter and faster. The Balder Side Sword is my current favorite, and had I found Estoc earlier in the game - I didn't know it was that easy to reach, I just curious where those stairs lead - I would have been crazy about it, too. Strength based weapons are slow, cumbersome beasts. I have both the Zwiehander and Black Knight Swords, and cannot make either work for me. They just do not suit me, though I might give each one more go on a few familiar foes just to be sure.

Right now I am hoping to stumble onto a good light armor set. I have one from the thieves in Lower Burg, but it offers absolutely no Poise at all. But then Dex characters really shouldn't worry about getting staggered, I guess; they should focus on not getting hit at all, I suppose.

Either way, I am planning to start my run into Blighttown as soon as tomorrow. I have the Ring from the Evil Eye ring from the Depths, which was a pretty nice boon, and while I mulled a return to the Asylum before going into Blighttown I am not sure its really worth it to return there. I might or might not make a run at it before Blighttown.

Edit: A little more research and I am wondering whether I should perhaps begin focusing on Endurance a while. I know its important for carry weight, and that, in turn, has a lot to do with rolling and movement speed. But after experimenting I think I going Winged Spear and Balder Side Sword for now, probably with Black Leather armor (reinforced) and maybe a light shield, or even the Knight Shield, for blocking the smaller enemies if the need arises, as in tight corridors where rolling isn't an option.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Blackcompany; 09-03-2014 at 04:40 AM.

A good tip is to mix and match armor so as to maximize poise while maintaining good mobility. The general rule of thumb with a light character is to still wear medium/medium-heavy legs and gauntlets for the poise while sticking to a light torso.

Pseudo-spoilery tip on Asylum: There is a ring there that will make blighttown a LOT less annoying, but you need to get through some tough fights to get to it, and if you were having such big problems with Capra it may still be out of your reach.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I got the ring from Asylum. The Rusted one. Strangely, it didn't require me to beat anything more than a few hollows. I had thought I would need to tackle a black knight or some sort of boss before I found it, but alas, there it was, on a corpse in a hallway.

That said...I am taking a break for now. I did venture into the first part of Blighttown. And its...well, frankly its annoying. Far more tedious than fun at this point. I have the timing of the big guys in the first area down pretty well; the problem is space in which to take advantage of it. In other words I keep falling off the bridge.

And then...then there are the toxic snipers. That's just...if there were some clue - any warning at all - I could see a trap like that. Especially since, now I have researched them, I know they don't respawn. So effectively they are a living trap I need to take down. That said, for me, right now, they take the area over the edge of challenging and into the realm of tedium.

I do appreciate all the advice. And I will try again. Now I've lost the 8,000 souls I've got little enough to lose in trying. But its time for a break and for something a little less daunting for a time.

Edit: Some break. Lasted about 30 minutes.

Made it to the bonfire in Blighttown. Its been exhausting. But what a feeling. Managed to find the Shadow Armor and Iaito. Eager to see what Bleed weapons can do for me, as I am pretty certain Dex will be my preferred stat from here on. I simply like the faster weapons better, and the mobility of lighter armors.

Now if anyone has any hints on how to get better performance with DSFix in Blighttown, that would be very much appreciated. I have AA off. Same for depth of field. SSAO is at the weakest setting. But that level if very crowded. I thought I saw something for view distance, but alas I cannot seem to find it.
    Last edited by Blackcompany; 09-03-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Now if anyone has any hints on how to get better performance with DSFix in Blighttown, that would be very much appreciated. I have AA off. Same for depth of field. SSAO is at the weakest setting. But that level if very crowded. I thought I saw something for view distance, but alas I cannot seem to find it.
    I can't really say if this "fix" helped me in blighttown or not (but i think it did), but it certainly improved my performance drastically in a couple of places (namely places that had lots of lava, bloom, blur or particle effects), so it might be worth a shot:

Set the following in DSFix's Framerate section if you haven't already and see if it makes a difference: "unlockFPS 1" and "FPSlimit 30" - That basically forces the game to run at the original framerate cap, or rather forces the game to cap the framerate like it did on console (i think). I had a lot of weird issues with particle effects, bloom and blur (one good example would be the flame attack of the dragon in undead burg - it completely tanked my framerate each time) and my framerate was all over the place - all that went away once i capped it to 30 that way and the game started to run at a rock solid framerate no matter what.

(Well and i've also changed some settings in the nvidia control panel - "prefer maximum performance" under power management, and "max prerendered frames 4", but i think that didn't really make any difference for me and it really was just the framerate cap that made the engine go bonkers for me)

I can confirm that this helps immensely.