Page 172 of 174 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 3477
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Dark Souls 2 has a ton of torches but no darkness.
    See The Gutter

And a few other areas where a torch would have been preferable (the Giants below Black Gulch come to mind).
    Last edited by gundato; 14-04-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Regarding The Tomb of Giants and darkness nuisances: I looked this up, and you can indeed warp to\from the Patches bonfire. Do this to take a break from that area! And while you're at it, go get the sunlight maggot - it makes the Tomb a cakewalk, since you can see AND hold your shield.

I absolutely understand your complaints, don't necessarily agree with them but I can see your point - try being more flexible, though, looking up a wiki can help deal with the frustration without spoiling the thrill of Dark Souls. There are a lot of things that are VERY obscure so yeah, I think FROM was in a way counting on the community founding a knowledge base.

Activated Node
    There are two alternatives to the torch you're using. One is the Cast Light spell, which requires 14 int and an attunement slot (at least 10). The other is the Sunlight Maggot, which has very specific requirements. It's possible you can't get it anymore and you may never work out the correct order in time. If you've already done Lost Izalith, you're almost certainly too late.

The main advantage you have in the Tomb is simply the lack of attack range on everything. While holding the torch, you can see further than the enemies will attack you. Walk slowly, pick your targets carefully. You really can walk closer than anywhere else you'll go. You can run fire to boss with almost no combat, once you know where you're going. Working out where to go is the real challenge.

If you want a couple of hints:

When you see the trees/Ash Lake area, you're going in the right direction for the boss.

There is a second bonfire. If you reach the section above, you should turn back if you want it. The run from the first fire isn't arduous so it's not entirely necessary.

Until you know where you're going - identify an area large enough to fight in, put the torch away and retreat to it for the fight until you've cleared a new space. If you/your gear are good enough, you can fight most enemies in a tight circle without needing much space at all.

Exploring the level completely is very different to reaching the boss and there are a few tough sections that you can avoid if you want to simply move on.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ahh so the ptches bonfire is warp enabled. that is good to know. I have not yet seen lost izalith so i may well look into the sunlight maggot. Or just warp out and break from the area. I have a shortcut that needs opening eventually and a ton of humanity to do it, so i may do a little farming or some suchfor that.

thanks for the info. much appreciated.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The light spell is my generally favoured way to do the ToG, takes a bit of soul investment but doesn't touch my equipment slots.

Actually, the Sunlight Maggot doesn't need anything special. Regardless of if you have triggered the flag for the NPC it will be there. Tested it out on my NG+ run.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    Having just done tomb of giants I have to say it really was not cheesy and was enjoyable, probably only took me 2-3 hours for catacombs and tomb of giants, I quickly stopped using dodge (narrow ledges in darkness = stupid to roll) and equipped Havels armour, shield and ring with wolf ring, I fought my way through to explore and did Nito on second try with help from a summon, did it all with skull lantern edging my way forward.

Quickly realised most mobs can be ran past, also kill all the skellies in two hits as currently have zweihander+10/lightning+3, got to say this weapon feels WAY overpowered, can take big chunks off bosses and can two hit almost all mobs and effectively stunlocks anything smaller than a golem :P

What second weapon should I level up btw? just got queelags furysword as well as great scythe, lots of different halberds and spears as well.

Network Hub
    The furysword, scythe and BK halberd should all be fun and powerful weapons.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    The furysword, scythe and BK halberd should all be fun and powerful weapons.
    Was never a fan of the BK halberd personally, the BK great axe on the other hand, that is a weapon.

The Furysword is basically my NG anti-Smough&Ornstein weapon. You can pretty easily get enough Demon Titanite to max it out and it tears them apart. Plus, the stats are low enough that you don't need to go too far out of your way, build-wise.

All the BK weapons hit VERY VERY hard and are great weapons on their own, although I am generally not a fan as I feel the stat requirements are more than they are worth.

Network Hub
    Agreed with the above. Though I think the BK weapons have nice scaling - their weaknesses lie in their weight (which shouldn't be a problem if you're looking to hit hard) and their strong charged attacks, which are too slow and telegraphed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The BKGS heavy attack is pretty nice on certain enemies and I like the weapon a lot in general, but the sword one is basically the button you press when you want to die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Those fucking archers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Those fucking archers.
    Obligatory post anytime someone mentions those archers:

http://i45.tinypic.com/29ora05.png
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Obligatory post anytime someone mentions those archers:

http://i45.tinypic.com/29ora05.png
    As irritating as that area was...this is hilarious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Also hilarious: on about the third time I managed to get into melee range of an archer I killed him! Then the final swing of my Uchigatana carried me off the ledge. About five more attempts at melee since and he hasn't died again.

Think I'm going to try and just parry him to death, but it's gonna require massive balls and excellent timing...
    Last edited by Rizlar; 16-04-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Also hilarious: on about the third time I managed to get into melee range of an archer I killed him! Then the final swing of my Uchigatana carried me off the ledge. About five more attempts at melee since and he hasn't died again.

Think I'm going to try and just parry him to death, but it's gonna require massive balls and excellent timing...
    I am not particularly good at parrying, but there is a pretty good video on youtube that teaches the fundamentals and, if memory serves, went into a fair amount of detail on how to "parry" archers (those two specifically)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    After a week or so away, I made a good run through Tomb of the Giants today. All the way to Nito, in fact...and I have to say that after two extremely frustrating hours, I am calling it quits.

Since Anor Londo the game has been little more than a frustration for me. Just one big slog. Perhaps its the game design; perhaps its a matter of personal taste or preference. Whatever the reason, I can safely say that, as much as I have enjoyed my time up until now, at no point since the beginning of Anor Londo has the game actually been fun.

And that point was hammered home today while trying and failing to fight Nito with a frame rate somewhere around 25. I couldn't even see him for the mobs, more less analyze what I would need to do to beat him. And next thing you know I am dead and back at the second bonfire in the tomb.

I know I could warp out and try something else. I also know I would have to come back here at some point. And I can't bring myself to come back to the tombs. I've put it off for a week like that work project you absolutely loathe but know you have to do, and when I finally got round to trying again, I enjoyed absolutely not one minute of the time I spent trying.

And as much as I like a challenge, I play games first and foremost to have fun.

For me Its been one hell of a learning experience. I've learned a lot about what I want from gaming. I understand just how far I am willing to go in terms of a challenging game to get it.

So kudos to those with the patience to make it past this point. Tomb of the Giants is where I wish Dark Souls - and the Souls series - a mostly fond farewell.

Thanks everyone. Enjoy Drangleic.

Network Hub
    Perhaps for the best. It's preferable to just pack up when you don't enjoy something you do. There's no shame in that and it's the most sane reaction to something you deem unfun. Now that you've closed the book, perhaps have a spoilery look at the bullets you dodged:

Bed of Chaos - An environmental puzzle enemy that has 3 stages. You don't fight the boss, you fight the environment and large sweeping motions meant to throw you into instant deathpits, while the area collapses. It's a completely random death scenario.

Crystal Cave - Another environmental puzzle. The floor is completely invisible and you can only approximate it by small crystals falling onto them or using prism stones. Oh and huge enemies push you off.

Honestly, I was waiting for your Shitstorm upon you meeting these two areas. I'm somewhat surprised that it was the Tomb of Giants that broke you in the end though. I haven't read about someone stopping there, to be honest. Pikachu and Snorlax, they're ragequit material. Not wanting to deal with the bullshit of Blighttown, I get. Perhaps the Capra Demon, I can see that happening. Even New Londo if you don't know the shortcut, I can get how that would piss someone off. But doing the ragequit in the Tomb of Giants is a new After Action Report for me.
    I've somehow always thought that when someone passed the infamous Duo, they'd also finish the game, as there aren't really any new mechanics after that, just careful exploitation of what you know and dealing with devious variations of what you've seen before.

But, congratulations for perservering so far. Especially since you seemed to be at odds with the game from the getgo, alternating between really enjoying it, game of the century at least and writing long posts about how the game is the worst ever and a badly designed piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    So kudos to those with the patience to make it past this point. Tomb of the Giants is where I wish Dark Souls - and the Souls series - a mostly fond farewell.

Thanks everyone. Enjoy Drangleic.
    Well tbh, i have also found some parts of DS a bit annoying, especially in regards to FPS. I hated oolacile forest and blighttown for that. Also the cheap darkness and other stuff.

But apparently DS 2 is better in regards to PvE and it also will have 60 FPS, so i think it will be a better game than the previous one (and now the stats are actually made logically). Also (SPOILER though not really) apparently after a set number of deaths (yours or the enemies) they will stop respawning, letting you go directly at the boss. Imo this is pretty good, especially since you can make them respawn again using a bonfire ascetic.