Page 105 of 176 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 3516
  1. #2081
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I made it through the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith and I can't say it was very entertaining. Waaay too many bossfights there and none of them were any good. The regular enemies also suddenly turned very random, not to mention the recycled capybara and taurus demons. Looks like they ran out of budget there.
    Next stop is the catacombs, I suppose.
    Get ready for an annoying path to the easiest boss in the game.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  2. #2082
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    I would argue it is more that the player has "learned the game". Essentially, Smough and Ornstein mark the end of the tutorial.

    That is one thing I prefer about Demon Souls. The hub-based approach meant that people could tackle it in whatever order they wanted (at least, after taking out the dragon), so almost every level had a balance between grizzled veterans and snot-nosed kids.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  3. #2083
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I made it through the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith and I can't say it was very entertaining. Waaay too many bossfights there and none of them were any good. The regular enemies also suddenly turned very random, not to mention the recycled capybara and taurus demons. Looks like they ran out of budget there.
    I don't think it was running out of budget as such. More that a) it's the path to one of the 4 Lord Soul Bosses, and each of these does something different (New Londo = Ghosts, no Bonfire. Catacombs&Tomb of Giants = Dark, unholy enemies. Duke's Archives = Crystal)... Demon Ruins drops 3 bosses on you, and has old bosses as regular enemies throughout. Also, b) that's where they come from, the Taurus and Capra Demons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  4. #2084
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I don't think it was running out of budget as such. More that a) it's the path to one of the 4 Lord Soul Bosses, and each of these does something different (New Londo = Ghosts, no Bonfire. Catacombs&Tomb of Giants = Dark, unholy enemies. Duke's Archives = Crystal)... Demon Ruins drops 3 bosses on you, and has old bosses as regular enemies throughout. Also, b) that's where they come from, the Taurus and Capra Demons.
    It serves as a good deterrent to anyone straying down to Demon ruins immediately after Blighttown - "Err there's like 6 bosses there, think I'll give it a miss" was my initial reaction after killing the incredibly lame boss.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  5. #2085
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,335
    Cleared both the catacombs and the tomb of giants. It was really easy for some reason. I died exactly three times; once from falling, once in the strange room with the large divine ember and then I got stabbed in the back by some black knight.
    Pinwheel was a joke and Nito wasn't much better. I actually got around 13 humanity and 55k souls when I dropped down to Nito so I equipped a sacrifice ring because I thought I would die miserably there but then I killed him without much trouble.
    Then again, this +10 fire gargoyle halberd is kind of insane.
    I think I'll do New Londo next. I hear the four kings are a bit tougher than this.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  6. #2086
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Cleared both the catacombs and the tomb of giants. It was really easy for some reason. I died exactly three times; once from falling, once in the strange room with the large divine ember and then I got stabbed in the back by some black knight.
    Pinwheel was a joke and Nito wasn't much better. I actually got around 13 humanity and 55k souls when I dropped down to Nito so I equipped a sacrifice ring because I thought I would die miserably there but then I killed him without much trouble.
    Then again, this +10 fire gargoyle halberd is kind of insane.
    I think I'll do New Londo next. I hear the four kings are a bit tougher than this.
    Four knights are basically Nito times four, with the spawns removed. Like Nito they're not really a challenge they're slow, and cast a spell now and then.

    With all the talk about "the four kings" through out the years I expected 4 different kind of super bosses in different locations I need to kill to complete the game. The four identical grim reaper guys in one room was a major let down.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 09-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  7. #2087
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    There are two key ways to drop the Four Kings

    NG (and NG+ if you are psychotic): Blitz them. Charge in, drop each King within a few seconds of spawning by two-handing and using any damage and/or staminia-regen boosting items. Heal while waiting for the next king to spawn
    Both (but generally required on NG+): Get REALLY good at dodging and not using target locking. This essentially ends up being very similar to round one of Smough and Ornstein, except with less dickish attacks.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  8. #2088
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    I defeated them by just blocking their attacks, staying up close and personal and just taking my time, hitting them.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  9. #2089
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,953
    I used Nito's Gravelord Sword +5, fighting them. Piece of cake. That said, I killed them while I'm still in NG. Do not ever use Iron Flesh while fighting them. That's for Ceaseless Discharge.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  10. #2090
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    193
    Well I'm up against Seath the scaleless next, and I'm disappointed to learn that there's not a bonfire close by before the fight. I have 5 humanity on my person, and I almost think I should warp out and kindle some more fires, but I guess you can't warp back to the Duke's Archives. Youtube makes Seath look pretty easy.

  11. #2091
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    255
    Gravelord sword is still mighty useful. Been primarily using the Dragon Tooth, but decided to swap back to the Gravelord sword to see how it fares on NG+. Still did lots of damage, and faster than the Tooth.

  12. #2092
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    Well I'm up against Seath the scaleless next, and I'm disappointed to learn that there's not a bonfire close by before the fight. I have 5 humanity on my person, and I almost think I should warp out and kindle some more fires, but I guess you can't warp back to the Duke's Archives. Youtube makes Seath look pretty easy.
    Just be sure to have something against curse.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  13. #2093
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Just be sure to have something against curse.
    I found a ring against curse in my travel in the new londo ruins. It could be useful.

    I am disapointed by my Blade of Quelagg, it's too slow and doesn't deliver that much damage.. I am still using my +10 balder sword... but at 28 int maybe I should use a magic weapon maybe my estoc ?

  14. #2094
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    945
    You can warp to the bonfire near Crystal Cave entrance. Path to Seath is rather easy. You must just go across 2 invisible paths and run past these oyster monsters (or just kill them).

  15. #2095
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,335
    to wound the autumnal city.

  16. #2096
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    Well I'm up against Seath the scaleless next, and I'm disappointed to learn that there's not a bonfire close by before the fight. I have 5 humanity on my person, and I almost think I should warp out and kindle some more fires, but I guess you can't warp back to the Duke's Archives. Youtube makes Seath look pretty easy.
    You watch the fights on YT before even trying them yourself? THAT IS A TERRIBLE THING TO DO! Probably my favorite part of Demon's and Dark Souls was blindly finding my way to the next giant fog wall, and wondering what kind of terrible monstrosity would be behind it. I still remember getting to the Tower Knight in Demon's for the first time and catching a glimpse of him through the fog. "Boy, whatever that is looks huge. Well, let's go see what it-WTF, I'm meant to kill THAT!?" Anyhow, I plan on skipping even the trailers for the next game, so I don't have any of the awesome bosses ruined for me.

    Also, if you know what you're doing, you can run from the bonfire to Seath in like 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure you don't even have to fight anything on your way there.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  17. #2097
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    You watch the fights on YT before even trying them yourself? THAT IS A TERRIBLE THING TO DO! Probably my favorite part of Demon's and Dark Souls was blindly finding my way to the next giant fog wall, and wondering what kind of terrible monstrosity would be behind it. I still remember getting to the Tower Knight in Demon's for the first time and catching a glimpse of him through the fog. "Boy, whatever that is looks huge. Well, let's go see what it-WTF, I'm meant to kill THAT!?" Anyhow, I plan on skipping even the trailers for the next game, so I don't have any of the awesome bosses ruined for me.

    Also, if you know what you're doing, you can run from the bonfire to Seath in like 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure you don't even have to fight anything on your way there.
    Yeah, I do watch boss fights beforehand, which does ruin the surprise, but cuts down on the frustration.

  18. #2098
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,335
    If I had one wish for Dark Souls 2, it would be putting save points next to the boss rooms.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  19. #2099
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    If I had one wish for Dark Souls 2, it would be putting save points next to the boss rooms.
    I think that would pretty much kill the whole feel of the game, though. Where is your motivation for not fucking up if the worst thing that happens when you die is you spawn right back at the boss wall? If you did that, you'd have to have some sort of lives and continue system. If the game were like Super Meat Boy with its respawns, it really wouldn't me much fun imo.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  20. #2100
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I think that would pretty much kill the whole feel of the game, though. Where is your motivation for not fucking up if the worst thing that happens when you die is you spawn right back at the boss wall? If you did that, you'd have to have some sort of lives and continue system. If the game were like Super Meat Boy with its respawns, it really wouldn't me much fun imo.
    It's not that the runs to some of the bosses are challenging; it's more that they're tedious. I'm thinking of the four kings and Smough and Orstein.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •