Page 114 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3516
  1. #2261
    Network Hub alset85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    404
    Vanilla game without DSfix only knows either 30 fps, or 15 when it dips. You can unlock framerate and set it to 30 for the game to cope with inbetween those 2.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

  2. #2262
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    85
    sweet, just unlocked it and set it to 30. I would rather not slide through the world with 60 fps.

  3. #2263
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Just did the four kings. Probably the weakest boss fight so far in the game in terms of design. Its also a gear check boss which I wasn't pleased about. I had a few goes at it with my current setup and it was clear that I wasn't doing enough DPS to bring them down. So after a couple of hours grind in my favorite spot to upgrade a random Beast sword in my inventory, I went to the circle tower of doom, did the usual thing of jumping off and dying (WTF? Oh yeah! The ring dickhead) and then cut them down on my first go back.

    The boss has no tactics except charging forward, randomly block now and again just keep chopping. There is no environment to use to your advantage, I can't move quick enough to get out of the pink shit they let off nor the bearhug. Just get in and beat it down as quickly as possible and do make sure you have your 10 flasks ready because I was chugging them down quicker then a alcoholic on a relapse. Anyway onwards and upwards! to the dukes archive.
    You think they were easy, wait until Pinwheel. I'm kinda pissed I didn't try the Catacombs earlier in the game to get the rite of kindling, you really just need a divine weapon.

  4. #2264
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    You think they were easy, wait until Pinwheel. I'm kinda pissed I didn't try the Catacombs earlier in the game to get the rite of kindling, you really just need a divine weapon.
    This is funny because I got lost after the first bell and ended up in the catacombs at lvl 25ish with Chain Mail and std mace, yet managed to get to the end of the Tomb of Giants until I hit the yellow wall and started looking for help here :p

    It was a pain, it was hell, it was frustrating, but it made the rest of the game easier with the embers I found there. I came back a hardened monster capable of dealing with anything*.

    *not anything

  5. #2265
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Just did the four kings. Probably the weakest boss fight so far in the game in terms of design. Its also a gear check boss which I wasn't pleased about. I had a few goes at it with my current setup and it was clear that I wasn't doing enough DPS to bring them down. So after a couple of hours grind in my favorite spot to upgrade a random Beast sword in my inventory, I went to the circle tower of doom, did the usual thing of jumping off and dying (WTF? Oh yeah! The ring dickhead) and then cut them down on my first go back.

    The boss has no tactics except charging forward, randomly block now and again just keep chopping. There is no environment to use to your advantage, I can't move quick enough to get out of the pink shit they let off nor the bearhug. Just get in and beat it down as quickly as possible and do make sure you have your 10 flasks ready because I was chugging them down quicker then a alcoholic on a relapse. Anyway onwards and upwards! to the dukes archive.
    As a general rule, if something was frustratingly difficult, the problem isn't with the game. You can do the Four Kings by gearing up to the teeth and simply wailing away until they're dead, however the same can be said for most of the game's bosses, this also strips the fun and feeling of accomplishment away from them.

    It could be argued that the Four Kings are the 'simplest' boss fight rather than the weakest design, it cuts Dark Souls down to the barest essential skill - zero cheese damage avoidance. You couldn't deal with their homing missiles, grab attack and were constantly losing health. Whose fault is that? Simply block the homing missile, gear yourself appropriately to escape the grab and dodge their regular attacks (in which regard the Four Kings are one of the easiest bosses to avoid).

    There is no such thing as a gear check boss in Dark Souls, otherwise SL1 runs wouldn't be possible.

  6. #2266
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,239
    Every one of Four King's attacks can be avoided, or you can just use Charcoal and Power Within and pummel the shit out of him like I did.

  7. #2267
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,291
    Well, my plan to tackle the four kings first didn't quite work out. Going in with 16 vit was probably a bit optimistic. I thought the +15 large club would be enough and while it does deal crazy damage, big weapons don't seem to work too well with the kings. Judging distances is oddly difficult in the abyss and I got interrupted too often.
    I simply loathe this fight. Not because it's particularly hard but because it really is a gear check boss. It takes away a ring slot for no good reason, which is disastrous for many builds. I have been running around with black iron armor, a tower shield and the large club for the last couple of hours and now the game basically tells me I can't do that anymore here. That's terrible.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  8. #2268
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,239
    What school of magic are you using, Anthile?

  9. #2269
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,845
    Going in with 16 vit was probably a bit optimistic. I thought the +15 large club would be enough and while it does deal crazy damage, big weapons don't seem to work too well with the kings. Judging distances is oddly difficult in the abyss and I got interrupted too often.
    Poise up or use Havel's instead.

  10. #2270
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    2,291
    After another failed attempt with help from Beatrice (who knew NPCs could be grabbed?), I actually did end up using Havel's. Mask of the child plus Havel's, to be precise. It's strange that it worked because I tried the exact same thing with my other character and he failed miserably. Turned out, the damage from the great club was much more than the kings could handle. A bit more and the last king wouldn't even have spawned.
    to wound the autumnal city.

  11. #2271
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    85
    So I fought Havel tonight. Funny, I died more fighting him than any other boss so far. I would get a little impatient with him and BOOM, one shot from his dragon tooth. I would say having the baulder side sword helped a lot with that fight.

    Also I got my hands on the Dark Knight Halberd. My build is not really focused on STR at all, but having that thing as a two hander right now would be nice for some big hits. Should I put some points into str just for that thing?

  12. #2272
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by motherpuncher View Post
    Also I got my hands on the Dark Knight Halberd. My build is not really focused on STR at all, but having that thing as a two hander right now would be nice for some big hits. Should I put some points into str just for that thing?
    Do you like the Halberd moveset? The Balder Side Sword took me from Sen's all the way to the end of the game, so it's not like you need a better weapon (though they are out there, depending on your build.)

  13. #2273
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by motherpuncher View Post
    Also I got my hands on the Dark Knight Halberd. My build is not really focused on STR at all, but having that thing as a two hander right now would be nice for some big hits. Should I put some points into str just for that thing?
    You're a strange one :P. Most people (myself included) think very little of the BK Halberd move set. Personally I'd advise using the Zweihander if you want some big hits from a two-hander, 24 strength requirement (so 16 req for two-handing, not too high at all) and it's one of the most poise-breaking weapons in the game (or in other words it staggers enemies a lot, even many bosses), certainly the best low-req poise breaker.

  14. #2274
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drayk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe's capital
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Do you like the Halberd moveset? The Balder Side Sword took me from Sen's all the way to the end of the game, so it's not like you need a better weapon (though they are out there, depending on your build.)
    I find myself using less and less my Balder side sword +14. Probably because it's dex base and i only got 20 dex and 36 INT. I am using the Quelagg fury sword or the moonlight greatsword. My +5 Velka rapier is quite nice too, even if i am not used to the moves yet. the trwo strike on R2 bypass guard sometimes against shielded ennemies... I guess it's because they lower their shield jsut after the first block... silly of them :P

    Quelagg's sword is actually pretty good at +5, i found it a bit slow at first but got used to it. + scalling with humanity is really good if you can keep some humanity... I don't but even 1-2 humanity definitively helps.

    I am sitting at SL 71. didn't have the time to play properly the last days... I farmed a bit of titanites and made Astoria greatword, which I can't use due to the crazy stats needed :P

    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

  15. #2275
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    698
    The Black Knight Halberd pumps out some insane damage - but the moveset is mediocre for PVP. PVE however, it's my favourite weapon (I use that and the Demon Great Machete usually).

  16. #2276
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,945
    Is it me or the game felt a lot creepier/better when I play it with Diablo 2's soundtrack? Running through the Catacombs while listening to this seemed fitting
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  17. #2277
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I find myself using less and less my Balder side sword +14. Probably because it's dex base and i only got 20 dex and 36 INT.
    Well, exactly. The BSS has top-tier scaling with a DEX-based build, as well as a versatile moveset and incredible reach compared to other straight swords, but it's not going to be particularly amazing with an INT build. I don't even know if INT has an equivalent to Darkmoon Blade or Power Within, which make +15 weapons absolutely stupid.

    To step away from theorycrafting, just use the weapons that fit your playstyle the best. I was irrevocably reliant on shields throughout the game, so two-handing a weapon only came after I knew exactly when I would break an enemy's poise and stunlock them until they were dead. Which didn't really come until my third character, fairly late in the game. With regard to the BK Halberd, the scaling is fairly terrible, so it might not be worth it to pump STR for that alone but you may find yourself in good company with Greatswords.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Is it me or the game felt a lot creepier/better when I play it with Diablo 2's soundtrack? Running through the Catacombs while listening to this seemed fitting
    Dark Souls is one of my absolute favorite games for atmosphere building. Haxan Cloak, Earth, Andy Stott, Neurosis, Swans, Old Apparatus, Oneohtrix Point Never, Boris... It's the perfect game to play with a soundtrack that wouldn't really fit any other activity. It also permits it by not really relying on audio queues or its own soundtrack, at least once you know what an area is going to throw at you.
    Last edited by sabrage; 22-04-2013 at 08:55 AM.

  18. #2278
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Well, exactly. The BSS has top-tier scaling with a DEX-based build, as well as a versatile moveset and incredible reach compared to other straight swords, but it's not going to be particularly amazing with an INT build.
    I used a BSS a few times with my melee-only build and I was a bit disappointed with the damage output, tbh. Yeah, that particular character's mostly focused on strength with some points on dex just in case but it's something that I wouldn't use against bigger, faster monsters. It might be better as a PvP weapon but I'm sticking with the Claymore for now.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

  19. #2279
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I used a BSS a few times with my melee-only build and I was a bit disappointed with the damage output, tbh. Yeah, that particular character's mostly focused on strength with some points on dex just in case but it's something that I wouldn't use against bigger, faster monsters. It might be better as a PvP weapon but I'm sticking with the Claymore for now.
    When I was trying to invade with my Great Scythe+shield, some guy absolutely ruined me by standing in one place and two-handing a Claymore. I don't think I got more than a hit or two in on him, such were my feeble attempts to block him. PVP definitely teaches you the importance of poise a lot faster than PVE does.

  20. #2280
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    When I was trying to invade with my Great Scythe+shield, some guy absolutely ruined me by standing in one place and two-handing a Claymore. I don't think I got more than a hit or two in on him, such were my feeble attempts to block him. PVP definitely teaches you the importance of poise a lot faster than PVE does.
    And him without using Iron Flesh? Wow. That's a problem. Are you good at parrying, then? It's something that you need to do often in PvP if the guy's experienced. Get a thrusting sword ready
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •