Page 122 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 3516
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    But I finished the damn game, I think it's an achievement a gamer can be (a little bit) proud of.
    I really wish that Dark Souls utilized Steam's achievements system, for no other reason than to see how many people even got the Lordvessel. My guess would be less than a third.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I really wish that Dark Souls utilized Steam's achievements system, for no other reason than to see how many people even got the Lordvessel. My guess would be less than a third.
    I'd be quite willing to bet an enormous number of players quit in frustration right at the beginning when they realised nothing was going to tell them where to go. The game quite irritated me at first in that regard, what with the obvious path being the hard-as-nails cemetary, then Captain Internet saved me.

Activated Node
    In the game's defence, the guy sitting opposite the bonfire does direct you to go up the stairs towards the waterway.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Setroc View Post
    In the game's defence, the guy sitting opposite the bonfire does direct you to go up the stairs towards the waterway.
    He was vague about it, though. I actually walked into the gaveyard when I first started and then began to look into some guides on where I should go first as a newbie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Based on Raptr's data, about one third place it, with variations depending on the platform (PS3 seems best at about 39%, XBOX worst at about 30%)

http://raptr.com/game/Dark-Souls/achievements
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I don't know if those numbers are accurate... but 6 percent and 4 percent finished the game in either of the two endings. But they should be a small overlap from players trying both endings. We can estimate the completion rate at about 8-10 percent. Which seems about right in my opinion, but my guts tells me it might event be a bit lower.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Yeah, those statistics are obviously limited. It is an optional site so that is a very small subset of users AND most people using a site like that are probably interested in achievements. But I think the balance of achievement hunters who 100% every game and achievement hunters who do "wide but shallow" should even out. And based on other games on steam (where you can't opt-out), those seem "right" to me.

Because I imagine the vast majority of players give up in Anor Londo. Most people don't bother to summon help for anything other than a boss (so the archers are gonna screw them) and even getting to the boss with an ally is difficult because Anor Londo is the invasion capital of the multiverse. I have NEVER managed to get to O&S with a human ally without having been invaded at least once (just taking Solaire is easy as I can just sprint before the invasion connects).
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Has anyone had any luck summoning people recently? I understand that the game's not new, but summon signs are few and far between, and every time I see one, the summoning fails. Now, I still get invaded every once in a while...

I just accidentally 'no' to Kaathe. :(

Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    Has anyone had any luck summoning people recently? I understand that the game's not new, but summon signs are few and far between, and every time I see one, the summoning fails. Now, I still get invaded every once in a while...
    I had a summon succeed yesterday without me even trying. I was in Anor Londo, engaging the huge guardians in the main hall, thinking "Should I go to O&S now or should I still upgrade my weapons a bit?" when suddenly "Gabe21 has been summoned" pops up on my screen. NO IDEA how that happened. Either way, I decided it was a good time to go for O&S, so I summoned Solaire as well and then we proceeded to O&S.

FIRST. TIME. EVER. Online sumoning, I mean.
    Last edited by Squirly; 02-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.

I still see them every so often, mostly at doors prior to bosses, but a lot(/most) of them seem to be failing.

Connectivity on PC has sucked since release. DSCfix made it better but both parties need to have that mod installed and have each other as friends, so it's not that useful for random summoning.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    Have you tried using the DSCFix?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Only really works with friends.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Based on Raptr's data, about one third place it, with variations depending on the platform (PS3 seems best at about 39%, XBOX worst at about 30%)

http://raptr.com/game/Dark-Souls/achievements
    Ok, so if I understand that page correctly, the average amount of achievements earned, as recorded by raptr, is ... 2 out of 41. More like 1.9 out of 41 because the second one after lighting a bonfire is getting the estus flask and only 95.82% got that far.

You just know there were people actually stuck on the first encounter with the asylum demon. The one you have to run away from.

Edit: Or they didn't notice the hole in the wall that the giant boulder created.
    Last edited by Squirly; 02-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    Ok, so if I understand that page correctly, the average amount of achievements earned, as recorded by raptr, is ... 2 out of 41. More like 1.9 out of 41 because the second one after lighting a bonfire is getting the estus flask and only 95.82% got that far.

You just know there were people actually stuck on the first encounter with the asylum demon. The one you have to run away from.

Edit: Or they didn't notice the hole in the wall that the giant boulder created.
    My achievements were a little bugged out I think, I still get them on my second play through.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post

I've spoken with multiple people who took 10+ attempts before they beat him, I've lost all perspective on the difficulty of the game now, after beating it half a dozen times in various states of NG+, but I don't remember getting stuck there!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

It really depends how you approach the game.

If you approach it like a normal game, you think "I need to beat this guy with my broken sword hilt. Yargh!"

If you instead operate under the assumption that running away is an option (usually it isn't in games), you find the exit, get a good weapon, and can win.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    My achievements were a little bugged out I think, I still get them on my second play through.
    As were mine. I only got the 'Arrived in lordran' after I'd gone back and forth to the Asylum a couple of times...since then I've gotten the pop-up every time I've traveled back from there.

And I never once got it on the 360.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    If you approach it like a normal game, you think "I need to beat this guy with my broken sword hilt. Yargh!"
    I almost abandoned this game for exactly this reason. After maybe my tenth futile death I was thinking that, while I had heard Dark Souls was hard, this was frankly ridiculous. Luckily I noticed the open side door just before giving up.

The same thing happened at Firelink. Thanks to my unsurpassed observational talents I had concluded that the cemetery path with its bastard-hard skeletons was the only option available. I abandoned the game for over a month thanks to that error. (I only came back to it because of this thread, so thanks everyone!)

Now I'm getting the hang of it and really loving the game. Still haven't rung the first bell though. My compulsion to restart any game with character creation at least a dozen times strikes again!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthu View Post

The same thing happened at Firelink. Thanks to my unsurpassed observational talents I had concluded that the cemetery path with its bastard-hard skeletons was the only option available. I abandoned the game for over a month thanks to that error. (I only came back to it because of this thread, so thanks everyone!)
    From what I hear the catacombs were meant to be the first area. Hence why Pinwhheel (the boss of the catacombs) is such a push-over, even for a relatively new character. When the idea was scrapped they just upped the HP of the skeletons and brought in the Necromancer gimmick.

Oh, I finally beat Artorias. Got myself in to 'the zone' and smashed him without taking a hit. Then did a bit of JC. His AI gets really confused with more than one opponent. Now I just need to decide whether I want to go for Kalameet or just straight on to Manus.