Page 123 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 3516
    wait isnt the a dev message on the ground that literally says run! or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthu View Post
    I almost abandoned this game for exactly this reason. After maybe my tenth futile death I was thinking that, while I had heard Dark Souls was hard, this was frankly ridiculous. Luckily I noticed the open side door just before giving up.
    While I understand that the tutorial section is bare-bones at best, did you not notice the message on the ground in the asylum arena telling you to run? That's what confuses me about this - up to that point there have been half a dozen messages already telling you about attacking, blocking, running etc. so why ignore that message?

Now I'm getting the hang of it and really loving the game. Still haven't rung the first bell though. My compulsion to restart any game with character creation at least a dozen times strikes again!
    I have 7 characters listed in my saved games, most of them level 30-60, with two of them at 70+, including the one I'm playing now. I constantly find myself wanting to try something else, something new, something different, so now I have 2 dex based characters, 2 strength based characters and several failed mixes where I just sucked at spreading my stats out properly. I don't really do faith, though I will sooner or later.

The char I have now is the most successful yet, and it looks like I'll actually be finishing this game with him. I'm trying to kill Seath at the moment but running into a wall, so to speak. Fun fact, I managed to kill Nito first time, without ever having fought him before in any of my previous games. I happened to have a divine spear on me and after getting rid of the skeletons I just proceeded to murder him with my +15 Uchi. Good times.

Network Hub
    @Squirly: You can use CE to force co-op. You basically invade as a white phantom.

Also Re: Seath. I just found smashing the Crystal then running to his right, front tentacle/tail/thing and just mashing on it. His breath attack won't hit you and he won't do anything else as long as you're right up against him.
    Last edited by EOT; 03-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Killed him over lunch actually. Broke the crystal, ran up to him when he started his breath attack and wailed on him until 1/3 of his health was gone. Noticed he was about to cast his shitty curse nova and ran away. Then repeated that another 2 times. Dead.

Bit of a let down considering how I struggled yesterday. Today I go in with a fresh outlook, preparing myself for failure and suddenly he just ... dies.

Well, Demon Ruins now. I'm going to finish this game this weekend even if I have to sink whole nights into it.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    While I understand that the tutorial section is bare-bones at best, did you not notice the message on the ground in the asylum arena telling you to run? That's what confuses me about this - up to that point there have been half a dozen messages already telling you about attacking, blocking, running etc. so why ignore that message?
    After reading the first few I assumed that they all just told me what buttons did, so I stopped reading them. That caused a few problems. It took me a while to accidentally discover that kicking and sprinting were possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    After reading the first few I assumed that they all just told me what buttons did, so I stopped reading them. That caused a few problems. It took me a while to accidentally discover that kicking and sprinting were possible.
    "Then I went on the Steam forums and complained about how obtuse Dark Souls is."

Network Hub

Well, Demon Ruins now. I'm going to finish this game this weekend even if I have to sink whole nights into it.
    Demon Ruins is a bit of a crappy area. It's just three bosses in a row and then on to Bed of Unfairness. But if you need any help (unlikely I know) the steam name is Blastvader.

Have you done the DLC at all?

I was quite vocal about finally clicking with the game, and my playing through it, in the RPS Steam Chat room. The result of which was a good handful of others buying or getting round to playing the game themselves, and generally a lot of chat about it going on. At least 3 of those people had to be directed away from the Catacombs, and towards the Undead Burg... and I think one other person at least saw the conversations and realised there was somewhere to go, other than the Catacombs, and was able to load up an old save and progress.

On the other hand, no one got stuck on the Asylum demon first fight. That I know of. Maybe they just didn't admit to it. Or killed it and didn't realise there's a 2nd opportunity at it.

On the other other hand, I didn't figure out Gestures, or find Petrus and the Way of the White until I'd returned from the Parish via the Elevator, having been told about the Catacombs and avoided it, and not having looked around the ruins of Firelink. No big loss, but if I'd figured out the Undead Burg path and explored Firelink myself, I might have got them earlier... along with all the items spread and hidden around there.

So... from what I've gathered, the Catacombs is a bigger problem than the Asylum fight. One of the problems I can see, though I didn't have it because I realised very early on how it was going to work, is that 'important information', in the form of dialogue from NPCs, is only ever given once... and if you don't catch it, or dismiss it as 'just story' or flavour or whatnot, you can be kind of stranded. And, the dialogue can sometimes be quite vague or ambiguous. An old Demons' Souls veteran, and Dark Souls player I know, who played on console on release (before the wikis and walkthroughs and videos were all up - that discovery and journeying into the complete unknown is something I hope we PC people get for DS2, with release parity), explained how he got stuck trying for the Catacombs... because Crestfallen says that "there are actually 2 Bells, one up above in the Parish, and one down below in Blighttown". He'd found a path leading down, kinda, into the Catacombs - which he assumed would eventually lead to B'town. He'd found the path to Undead Burg as well, but assumed that it was 2 separate paths, either of which you could take, to lead you to each of the Bells.

I can't blame people for getting stuck on stuff like that (I very nearly set off for the Catacombs when I was done with the Parish, and looking for the Depths, because that locked door after Taurus, at the near end of the Hellkite bridge, had slipped my mind)... I think it's an intended part of the game. If they do as Sabrage says, and claims something is impossible or the like (or unfair), or how terrible it is because it doesn't hold your hand, then I'd take issue. That vagueness and ambiguity, and the discovery it forces on to you, is one of the great things about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    Demon Ruins is a bit of a crappy area. It's just three bosses in a row and then on to Bed of Unfairness. But if you need any help (unlikely I know) the steam name is Blastvader.
    I quite liked Demon Ruins because of this, and that between the actual bosses there are more than half a dozen bosses from earlier areas reproduced. And, the bosses aren't samey... you've got 3 bosses, each of a different type or style. It was an area that really tested my combat skills I felt.

Also, the DLC is brilliant, do it before you finish, if you haven't already. 4 terrific bosses (I'm told Manus is brilliant, I forgot to go and try him on my playthrough), 1 terrific area (Oolacile... tough, challenging, unsettling, creepy), and the other area is alright.
    Last edited by Unaco; 03-05-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    explained how he got stuck trying for the Catacombs... because Crestfallen says that "there are actually 2 Bells, one up above in the Parish, and one down below in Blighttown". He'd found a path leading down, kinda, into the Catacombs - which he assumed would eventually lead to B'town. He'd found the path to Undead Burg as well, but assumed that it was 2 separate paths, either of which you could take, to lead you to each of the Bells.
    It happened exactly the same to me, I went from First Bell to Tomb of Giants because I thought Blighttown was that way :D It took me around 8-10 hours until I seeked for help. I found several embers and weapons which made the rest of the game easier anyway.

Obscure Node
    I don't blame the game for my impatience and foolish stubbornness regarding the Asylum Demon. That was all me.

Catacombs seems to be the more typical novice problem. I figured the bell down bellow would be there and the one above would be up the lift. I assumed (again!) the lift would activate at the plot-appropriate-time like in too many other games, and therefore the path down had to be the only way to go. It would be nice if the game was more approachable, but I have no idea if that is even possible without damaging the game's strengths. As frustrating as getting stuck on the cemetery skeletons was, the freedom in how you approach the game is pretty special.

I'm actually trying Catacombs before Parish on purpose now. I've got Astora's straight sword on a faith character and it's going reasonably well. There's something deeply satisfying about putting down those skeletons that gave me so much trouble before.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't see how so many people get the idea to go to the catacombs first. The first thing you see when you turn around at Firelink is the steps leading up the side of the cliff to the big-ass aqueduct. I was immediately drawn there. And if you're completely new to the game, those skeletons on the way to the catacombs are going to be balls fucking hard. Not "I heard this game was hard, but damn" hard. I'm talking "This is complete fucking bullshit" hard. Not to mention that if you DO make it inside the catacombs without the proper type weapon, shit is going to get ugly fast. I just don't know how someone could throw themselves at those skeletons for hours on end and not think that maybe they shouldn't be there yet. It's no different than any other RPG that doesn't have monsters leveled to your character. Risen comes to mind. First time I walked into a cave and got destroyed by a Ghoul, I knew I had absolutely no business being there, and to come back once I leveled up.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I just don't know how someone could throw themselves at those skeletons for hours on end and not think that maybe they shouldn't be there yet. It's no different than any other RPG that doesn't have monsters leveled to your character.
    The entire internet was telling me that the game was super difficult and unlike other games.

That and for some reason I couldn't find the steps up to the waterway, and not for lack of searching. I found all the treasure in Firelink. I found the way down to New Londo. I have no idea how I managed to miss those damn steps.

It just occurred to me that after lurking here for years I finally set up an account for the purpose of convincing everyone that I'm an oblivious moron. Oh well.

Network Hub
    That and for some reason I couldn't find the steps up to the waterway, and not for lack of searching. I found all the treasure in Firelink. I found the way down to New Londo. I have no idea how I managed to miss those damn steps.
    I think I managed to get 5 hours in before I found those stairs. Checked the wiki, learned there was a path to Undead Burg. Couldn't find it. Levelled up, got Astora's sword, managed to take out Pinwheel before I looked up a video of someone starting the game. And turning around. And going up those stairs.

I was able to get past the catacombs by throwing ALL the skeletons off cliffs before reaching the next bonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I was able to get past the catacombs by throwing ALL the skeletons off cliffs before reaching the next bonfire.
    Just this moment done that, on a coop playthrough. We fell down to Vamos and there was a skeleton army there waiting for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    Just this moment done that, on a coop playthrough. We fell down to Vamos and there was a skeleton army there waiting for us.
    Probably the only enemy that can oneshot you, no matter your armor or HP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What about Havel? He onehitted me in NG+, I have 1250+ HP and I was wearing fully upgraded Black Armor set.

I finished it! YES! I am the Dark Lord! (Screw Frampt. Kaathe made a much better case and I knew that the whole princess in the tower shtick that was Gwynevere was too good to be true, though I didn't realize how right I was until I started digging into the lore after I finished the game.)

Anyway, I didn't do the DLC because I had no idea how. Will fix that with my other character, one who's focused on Str and wields a Black Knight Sword +5. I'm kinda annoyed with that sword because it's R2 is so goddamn useless (though awesome when it hits) but it's got B scaling on Str and blows every other normal sword out of the water. Even my Claymore +15. Can't buff it with magic or resin though which isn't that much of an issue because my char has Int of 8 (he just hits really hard) and buffs like pine resin get the most bang for back with fast weapons anyway. If anybody has any alternative weapons I can try I'd appreciate it.

Demon Ruins is a bit of a crappy area. It's just three bosses in a row and then on to Bed of Unfairness.
    I kinda enjoyed it actually. Taking on a bunch of minor taurus demons was cool, as was taking my revenge on the capra demons. I'm kinda miffed that we only get the large flame ember this late in the game AND the chaos flame ember before that (wtf?). It doesn't help that getting to Vamos requires a trek from Firelink shrine because NONE of the bonfires in the catacombs can be warped to. The Firesage was a cake walk after the second asylum demon and the only one I kinda struggled with was that centipede. Solaire kept insisting on fighting the damn thing while standing in the middle of the damn lava and I was forced to watch from an island, hoping for him to eventually draw it over.

Also, I must be one of the few people who didn't just enjoy the Bed of Chaos fight, I thought it was damn awesome. The loer might have been part of it because I'd pieced together some things about it before I confronted it. Also, even though I died 3 times trying to kill it, my first thought was "Oh god, I'm to have to do all that shlep of cutting the roots all over again!" which is why I say this fight rocks, because it's one of the few ones that doesn't force you to repeat everything and instead of wailing on an enemy until he dies I instead was forced to dodge attacks and chop at the important bits.

Great game though. I'm busy drowning myself in lore, trying to avoid any that has to do with Artorias of the Abyss, beyond what I know already of course. Will probably tackle the DLC with my current Str char because I think it'll lose some of that special challenge if I go into it with my Dex based NG+ char. Seriously, that guy has no problems cutting anything down.

Edit: Also, I struggled like HELL against Gwyn. He was just too damn fast and intimidating. I crapped myself trying to get a hit in, taking a sword to the face, dodging his grab, hitting him once, getting another sword to the face etc. It drove me nuts. THEN I went and grabbed something I hadn't used in AGES. My Bandit Knife +14 and a Target shield. Suddenly the tragic music that was Gwyn's theme gets even more tragic because the great and glorious Gwyn, once powerful and terrifying, is getting absolutely owned by me parrying and stabbing him in the chest, then waiting over him while he gets up and takes another swing only to be parried again. Over and over, about 5-6 times and he was dead.
    Last edited by Squirly; 07-05-2013 at 10:44 AM.

If anybody has any alternative weapons I can try I'd appreciate it.
    Some good strength scaling weapons:
    Manserpent Greatsword - from snake people in sens / dukes
    Demon Machete / Greataxe - bought from Shiva or dropped from taurus/capra demons

Standard Greataxe is rather solid, but slightly worse scaling.

For smaller weapons when you want to keep weight down there's the Mace, Morning Star, or Pickaxe and Large Club (both dropped from the boulder and club fatties respectively, in Blight Town).
    Last edited by Memph; 07-05-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

Edit: Also, I struggled like HELL against Gwyn. He was just too damn fast and intimidating. I crapped myself trying to get a hit in, taking a sword to the face, dodging his grab, hitting him once, getting another sword to the face etc. It drove me nuts. THEN I went and grabbed something I hadn't used in AGES. My Bandit Knife +14 and a Target shield. Suddenly the tragic music that was Gwyn's theme gets even more tragic because the great and glorious Gwyn, once powerful and terrifying, is getting absolutely owned by me parrying and stabbing him in the chest, then waiting over him while he gets up and takes another swing only to be parried again. Over and over, about 5-6 times and he was dead.
    He's aggressive as hell yeah, took me 10 attempts to finally beat him.

I took my strongest weapon and just kept parrying and riposte him and he was dead in no time, heal when he tries to grab you.

As for weapons, I used a Black Knight Axe +5 which destroys everything.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog