Page 141 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 3516
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    Maybe the reason he didn't touch on PvP is because it's almost impossible to check out at the moment seeing as the game is still in development and NOBODY can play it yet other than a few select individuals. In short, who would he PvP against?
    I was unclear. I meant the original DkS. That's why he went by "feeling" and couldn't tell what exactly changed with the dodging and such. It takes a fuckload of hours of play for the big flaws of the combat to become apparent.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I hate to ask, because I don't think it's going to be well-received, but has anyone made a mod for this that weakens enemies? I played this on PS3, but never got much further than the hell-kite dragon because I was frustrated at how powerful the standard enemies were. I don't mind getting killed by a giant rat or a run-of-the-mill skeleton, but taking off nearly half my health in one hit in part of a multi-hit combo? I've got shit to do, game. I'll gladly give you 100+ hours of my time, I'll cheerfully walk back from the respawn when a rat knocks me off a ledge (should've been more careful), I'll more than happily explore every nook and cranny to see your enemies and environments, but not if youmake my playtime a chore.

There's something wrong when fighting a giant bull demon boss on a narrow walkway is more fun and more manageable than dealing with your bog-standard enemies.

/rant

Anybody who's played this game enough to be interested in modding it will have weaker enemies the furthest from their mind. If anything, they'll make them stronger.

Sorry to hear about your failed attempt at the game, but I will tell you that I failed my first character spectacularly as well. My second one took what I'd learnt and proceeded to rawk through the game with Queelag's Fury blade and the Iaito.

It helps knowing how the systems work, obviously, and once you realize that upgrading your weapons (not far from where you gave up, sort of) will catapult your damage output and damage soaking abilities more than your stats ever will. At that point it's just getting the min stats for your preferred weapon, focusing on endurance and vitality and, later, dumping some points into whatever main stat you choose (dex, str, int or faith).

Try again dude. It's totally worth it.

Edit: And yes, getting caught in a multi-hit combo and being stunlocked kinda sucks, but once you get familiar with the game and learn to anticipate things you'll rarely have trouble with that. The trick is not getting into a position like that to begin with.
    Last edited by Squirly; 05-09-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    Anybody who's played this game enough to be interested in modding it will have weaker enemies the furthest from their mind. If anything, they'll make them stronger.

Sorry to hear about your failed attempt at the game, but I will tell you that I failed my first character spectacularly as well. My second one took what I'd learnt and proceeded to rawk through the game with Queelag's Fury blade and the Iaito.

It helps knowing how the systems work, obviously, and once you realize that upgrading your weapons (not far from where you died, sort of) will catapult your damage output and damage soaking abilities more than your stats ever will. At that point it's just getting the min stats for your preferred weapon, focusing on endurance and vitality and, later, dumping some points into whatever main stat you choose (dex, str, int or faith).

Try again dude. It's totally worth it.
    I've tried at least twice now. Like I said, it's not really the bosses that bother me (the few I've fought, at least...). They have a pleasant Monster Hunter quality to them where you have to make use of timing to avoid getting hit and get a few punches of your own in. I just can't stand that random grunts tend to pose more of a threat than bosses. It's the Skyrim problem of being able to deal with a flying, fire breathing dragon but getting steamrolled by some random bear, except applied to every enemy in the game.

You just need to do some farming at the beginning after which it will become easier to deal with the enemies. I have found this problem myself, especially at the beginning. If you want to not farm too much (as i sometimes find it too tedious, why waste an hour when you can play the game) you can use a cheat to get souls. I usually do something like i can get 2000 souls in 5 minutes so if i farm for an hour i'll have 24000 souls, then i use a cheat to get them. Though i only do this when the enemies are much more powerful and i don't have another area with weaker enemies to explore.
    In the beginning though i farmed a lot, didn't think of this solution and i only did after some time, but now i wish i thought of it sooner, so much time wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I just can't stand that random grunts tend to pose more of a threat than bosses.
    But they don't, though. Once you know certain enemy's patterns and 'tells' you can steamroll them instead. I can do the run up to the taurus demon with a new character in about 5-10 minutes (that's with killing every hollow on the way) and I'll barely take a scratch. Hell, I'll kill the boss on top of that without even resting at the bonfire half-way simply because I know how, I know the enemies, I know the routes. I know when to advance, when to pull back etc. Experience and skill count for about 50% of progressing in Dark Souls, 30% is equipment, the rest stats.

If you want to you can even just dodge every enemy on your way up there and once you're through the fog gate none of them can touch you. Just the boss. ;)

First time playing will probably have you repeating a lot of sections, but as you get more experience you'll end up dying less and less, even in new unexplored areas, simply because you've gotten comfortable. Sort of. Having 50K souls and 10 humanity to lose when you're in an area you don't know can be hair-raising, but that's part of the charm.

Edit: Don't use cheats. You really shouldn't have to and it makes things worse all-round.
    Last edited by Squirly; 05-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.

I've tried at least twice now. Like I said, it's not really the bosses that bother me (the few I've fought, at least...). They have a pleasant Monster Hunter quality to them where you have to make use of timing to avoid getting hit and get a few punches of your own in. I just can't stand that random grunts tend to pose more of a threat than bosses. It's the Skyrim problem of being able to deal with a flying, fire breathing dragon but getting steamrolled by some random bear, except applied to every enemy in the game.
    The only regular enemies potentially more damaging than bosses are torch-bearing hollows and bonewheels, and I don't think you've met them in any numbers. Oh and a certain type of skeleton.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

I guess you're talking about the dog skeletons in the Tomb, which I agree with, but there's really only one that you need to engage to proceed further. On the other hand, getting the large divine ember without some kind of ranged weapon or spell is still one of my personal nightmares.

Banned
    I don't mind getting killed by a giant rat or a run-of-the-mill skeleton, but taking off nearly half my health in one hit in part of a multi-hit combo? I've got shit to do, game. I'll gladly give you 100+ hours of my time, I'll cheerfully walk back from the respawn when a rat knocks me off a ledge (should've been more careful), I'll more than happily explore every nook and cranny to see your enemies and environments, but not if youmake my playtime a chore.
    1. Try a heavier starting class. Armor does make a lot of difference in the game.
    2. Invest in Vitality. I pretty much immediately get it to 16, and then get it to 24 not long after. But I do grind a bit in Undead Burg(for soft humanity because I am OCD about drops).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The only regular enemies potentially more damaging than bosses are torch-bearing hollows and bonewheels, and I don't think you've met them in any numbers. Oh and a certain type of skeleton.
    And walking shrooms. These fuckers can even one-hit you to death.

It took me a long time but learning to parry helped me out immensely. This is one of the basic mechanics in the game but can take some getting used to. You learn how to read the animations and get the timing of the enemy attacks down so even in the early levels they won't pose so much of a threat.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Honestly parrying is mostly unnecessary. There are a few enemy types it's invaluable against but a good proportion of enemies can't be parried and many more just aren't worth doing so with. Knowing your dodge timings and the enemy's attack hitboxes on the other hand, that'll see you through the whole game with barely a scratch. So while you're learning those, the block button is your best friend. Just holding block is kinda the scrub way to defend, but with a decent shield it's pretty safe so you can focus on observing the enemy's patterns, you'll probably lose a lot of attack opportunities to lack of stamina, but caution serves well in surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Honestly parrying is mostly unnecessary. There are a few enemy types it's invaluable against but a good proportion of enemies can't be parried and many more just aren't worth doing so with. Knowing your dodge timings and the enemy's attack hitboxes on the other hand, that'll see you through the whole game with barely a scratch. So while you're learning those, the block button is your best friend. Just holding block is kinda the scrub way to defend, but with a decent shield it's pretty safe so you can focus on observing the enemy's patterns, you'll probably lose a lot of attack opportunities to lack of stamina, but caution serves well in surviving.
    Ha! You really, really need to learn how to parry then. Unless you're fighting bosses, parrying will definitely save you life in a lot of situations. You won't survive long without knowing how considering how many people would just pop in and go for a little PvP. Seriously, dude. Learn to parry. You can even do it against those loinclothed hollows you find everywhere for practice
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Banned
    He's talking about PvE, and he's right. Parrying is mostly unnecessary. It's nice for the few extra souls, or just to be cool, but block + backstab is just so much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    He's talking about PvE, and he's right. Parrying is mostly unnecessary. It's nice for the few extra souls, or just to be cool, but block + backstab is just so much safer.
    on the other hand, it makes the game a whole easier considering that there's a hell lot of enemies are parrayble even through late game. It's hard, sure but seriously man, you won't won't find parrying black knights in the kiln unnecessary once you reach there. Faster fights, no falling down or losing stamina from a few hits

and I don't think I have to mention how *ahem* anti-climatic the whole final boss-fight will be with that shit
    Last edited by Voon; 08-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    on the other hand, it makes the game a whole easier considering that there's a hell lot of enemies are parrayble even through late game. It's hard, sure but seriously man, you won't won't find parrying black knights in the kiln unnecessary once you reach there. Faster fights, no falling down or losing stamina from a few hits

and I don't think I have to mention how *ahem* anti-climatic the whole final boss-fight will be with that shit
    I dunno my non cheese, non parrying battle with Gwyn was one of my most tense and exciting experiences of the entire game!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    1) PvP in Dark Souls kinda sucks. Parrying enemies with variable degrees of lag is nothing more than a guess anyway.

2) I'm not sure if you read it properly, but you should note the words 'mostly unnecessary'. Key word mostly. Black/Silver Knights and the last boss are the only enemies in the game that are actually easier with parrying than by other means (and with the latter you're pretty much cheating yourself by doing it). Any other parryable enemy is easier to just backstab. So yeah, mostly unnecessary. It wouldn't be inaccurate to say you don't need to learn how to parry at all, you can quite comfortably get by without it.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    I dunno my non cheese, non parrying battle with Gwyn was one of my most tense and exciting experiences of the entire game!
    exactly. although parrying Gwyn to win the game was probably the most hilarious bit of the game
    Art blog here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    exactly. although parrying Gwyn to win the game was probably the most hilarious bit of the game
    I think parrying Gwyn was a sign of the player growing stronger - and then ushering in a new era regardless of ending choice.
    Any news on the GFWL front?