Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 3516
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,233
    You realize we have now 5 mouse buttons,so its quite easy to put attack buttons on 1 and 2 button,then shield bash could be on middle one,block on button 4 etc. You get my point :D

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    You realize we have now 5 mouse buttons,so its quite easy to put attack buttons on 1 and 2 button,then shield bash could be on middle one,block on button 4 etc. You get my point :D
    But if you're going to bank on people having a specific peripheral like a 5-button mouse...why not just revert to gamepad support?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I'm not sure why you're attributing opinions to me, that I haven't gone close to expressing. Of course it's alright if people want to pay for that, but we were originally talking about the viability of the port occuring and the more difficulty in the port and the more parts of the game that simply don't translate, the less likely it becomes. If 80,000 signatures on a petiton = 80,000 sales (it doesn't, but that's what they have to gauge interest), then it probably isn't going to be worth their while (whereas if it were a straightforward port perhaps it would be.).
    No one's attributing anything here. My point is that they wouldn't be releasing the game for free, so they might as well put effort in it. Realistically, seeing as it is an Xbox title, it would in all probability ship with GFWL, mimicking the functionality of Xbox Live. That wouldn't require any changes of the multiplayer portion to the game, and plenty of people would be happy with just that.

  4. #44
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    No one's attributing anything here. My point is that they wouldn't be releasing the game for free, so they might as well put effort in it. Realistically, seeing as it is an Xbox title, it would in all probability ship with GFWL, mimicking the functionality of Xbox Live. That wouldn't require any changes of the multiplayer portion to the game, and plenty of people would be happy with just that.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone on the RPS forums even remotely happy with a game using GFWL!
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bobtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    577
    I have to agree that Dark Souls is not really suitable for a PC port. I liked it enough to play 160 hours and collect the platinum trophy (plat Demon's Souls too) and waste a lot of time speculating about unknown uses of the pendant and possible inaccessible hidden areas (the game isn't that thoroughly detailed unfortunately). The game mechanics are so tightly wrapped around console gamepads that it would take a serious redesign and have very different feeling combat as a kb/m PC game, and coordination, trading, cheating, and voice chat would all undermine its design if it were on PC. I also think it's much less difficult than Demon's Souls overall, and somewhat overrated in comparison. Hopefully more developers will learn from their always-on asynchronous coop/antagonist multiplayer model, and create successful variations on it.

    From Software has developed dozens of titles, and only one has a PC port (Ninja Blade). I'd like to see From games on PC in the future, and am on the fence about Armored Core V coming in a couple weeks, but they're a small, niche, and botique developer who's success has depended on their narrow focus. They'd have to make a pretty big gamble to leave that comfort zone.

    A western PC release in the Monster Hunter franchise is a much more viable thing to petition for, but I doubt Capcom has dismissed it out of hand without doing serious research first, so don't hold your breath.

    If you're really dying to play something in this vein on PC right now, I'd recommend La-Mulana. Be warned that it is very tough, unapologetically retro, epically long, and I needed 80+ hours, plenty of walkthrough help, and copious note taking to play through it. Incredible game, but it's not for everyone.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone on the RPS forums even remotely happy with a game using GFWL!
    Now ask them if they want to have the game on PC or not. I mean, it's a bit of a niche title, so all the devotees would rather tolerate GFWL than have no game at all. And it's not like this is a highly-competitive game (e.g. DoW2) that ideally presupposes a very solid multiplayer framework. Dead Rising 2 and Fable III, both with GFWL, worked fine, and their multiplayer was basically the same as in Dark Souls.

  7. #47
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bobtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone on the RPS forums even remotely happy with a game using GFWL!
    OT, but I think you meant "about a game using GFWL." There are plenty of games with GFWL that we like in spite of it, such as Batman AA, RF Guerrilla, Bioshock 2, Section 8, Dawn of War 2, and Dead Rising 2. We do generally have consensus that GFWL is not a good solution for anything it tries to do.

  8. #48
    Lesser Hivemind Node Nullkigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    I have to agree that Dark Souls is not really suitable for a PC port. I liked it enough to play 160 hours and collect the platinum trophy (plat Demon's Souls too) and waste a lot of time speculating about unknown uses of the pendant and possible inaccessible hidden areas (the game isn't that thoroughly detailed unfortunately). The game mechanics are so tightly wrapped around console gamepads that it would take a serious redesign and have very different feeling combat as a kb/m PC game, and coordination, trading, cheating, and voice chat would all undermine its design if it were on PC. I also think it's much less difficult than Demon's Souls overall, and somewhat overrated in comparison. Hopefully more developers will learn from their always-on asynchronous coop/antagonist multiplayer model, and create successful variations on it.

    From Software has developed dozens of titles, and only one has a PC port (Ninja Blade). I'd like to see From games on PC in the future, and am on the fence about Armored Core V coming in a couple weeks, but they're a small, niche, and botique developer who's success has depended on their narrow focus. They'd have to make a pretty big gamble to leave that comfort zone.

    A western PC release in the Monster Hunter franchise is a much more viable thing to petition for, but I doubt Capcom has dismissed it out of hand without doing serious research first, so don't hold your breath.

    If you're really dying to play something in this vein on PC right now, I'd recommend La-Mulana. Be warned that it is very tough, unapologetically retro, epically long, and I needed 80+ hours, plenty of walkthrough help, and copious note taking to play through it. Incredible game, but it's not for everyone.
    What is it with this thread and "what MIGHT happen would RUIN the creative vision of the developers!"? You can make the exact same argument about every other game ever. It's an interactive experience and people will enjoy it in different ways. It's not a painting, there to merely be looked at and praised by the people who live near the gallery.

    So long as there are consistency checks for the online component, probably done by the defending/hosting player, there'd be no problems. It's not like there are no hackers, griefers or cheats on the console metaverses. Half of the metagame basically revolves around adding those people to bounty lists anyway.

    The comments about analogue controls are valid, but far from insurmountable. A couple of timing changes to trap and attack patterns are easily done on a pc release. Even requiring a controller isn't a bad decision -this is a series which literally grew out of word of mouth and the expectation of players failing. It's an insult to the potential playerbase to assume they're incapable of figuring out what they're getting into.

    I'd also like to see other From games brought across, but the only DS has any movement behind it at all. The original announcements heavily implied that Dark Souls WAS coming to PC and they only later dumped the platform.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

  9. #49
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    615
    *Dons flame proofed hat*

    They should design it for the Razer Hydra. Analogue movement with a stick and accurate camera control with motion controls (or just use the mouse in your right hand.)

    Then me and the two other people that bought one could really enjoy it...

  10. #50
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bobtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    What is it with this thread and "what MIGHT happen would RUIN the creative vision of the developers!"?
    Who said that? Why did you quote my whole post? Did anyone even bring up the artistry of the game?

    I think From COULD do it, and it COULD be good, but they won't. It's about opportunity cost.

    If PC ports were easy, everyone would do it, and the reviews would be a lot better than what we tend to get.

  11. #51
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    But if you're going to bank on people having a specific peripheral like a 5-button mouse...why not just revert to gamepad support?

    Why not both,and if you don't have either,they could leave option to remape controls,which is kinda normal feature for pc games.

  12. #52
    Lesser Hivemind Node Nullkigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The game mechanics are so tightly wrapped around console gamepads that it would take a serious redesign and have very different feeling combat as a kb/m PC game, and coordination, trading, cheating, and voice chat would all undermine its design if it were on PC.
    You explicitly referenced the 'design' of the game.

    I do, however, agree that From probably don't have the experience or interest to actually come through with a pc port for this installment. Most of the software engineers are probably currently approaching crunch time in a project from an entirely different genre and code base.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    What is it with this thread and "what MIGHT happen would RUIN the creative vision of the developers!"? You can make the exact same argument about every other game ever. It's an interactive experience and people will enjoy it in different ways. It's not a painting, there to merely be looked at and praised by the people who live near the gallery.
    Pointing out the different control schemes is a farcry from claiming it would ruin the developer's creative vision. Noone appears to have approached that level of console fanboyism here. It wouldn't make much sense in a PC Gaming forum. Besides, what would they complain about - the Dark Souls franchise being dumbed down for a PC audience? The developers receiving more cash and encouragement to create further Dark Souls sequels?

  14. #54
    Lesser Hivemind Node Scumbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    764
    Despite all the interesting debates people are having here, has anyone considered that larger Japanese Publishers / Developers generally donít like doing PC versions of their games due to institutional mindset of developers?
    Note: I know Capcom are an exception to the rule.

  15. #55
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    Who said that? Why did you quote my whole post? Did anyone even bring up the artistry of the game?
    This guy did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Hidetaka Miyazaki dose not want to see it released on PC, for 2 reasons.

    --Part of the beauty of the game is that you cannot cheat, and that gameplay is wholly dictated by the game designer. A PC version would not only be cracked day 1, the gameplay would also be violated day 1.

    --It cannot be tuned properly because of the varieties of hardware. Bolting on KB/M controls, or having people use anything other than the controllers the game designer used during development would alter the designer's vision.

    The artist dictates to the audience, and if a videogame designer aspires to create videogame art, then artist must have control over the experience. And that can only happen on a console.

    Imagine if modders could change Citizen Kane because they wanted to see Susan Alexander's vagina? Or 8 1/2 because it was too hard to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Despite all the interesting debates people are having here, has anyone considered that larger Japanese Publishers / Developers generally don’t like doing PC versions of their games due to institutional mindset of developers?
    Note: I know Capcom are an exception to the rule.
    And Square Enix.
    And Sega.
    And Konami.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 09-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.

  16. #56
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    As I said above, the MP is a core part of the game - there are like 50 editorial articles (by professional journalists, not fan-scrubs like me) arguing that the MP in Dark Souls makes the whole damn game.
    So guess what's really going to break the game and ruin the design intent? When the servers get turned off in two years' time. And we'll be wishing we had a PC version with hackable, exploitable multiplayer, so clever people could exploit it in to doing what it used to do before the publishers stop caring.

  17. #57
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    "...the company would like to return to the King's Field franchise, and that it's currently considering a PC version of Dark Souls."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...oid-games.aspx

  18. #58
    Network Hub alset85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    404
    I never buy games at launch but I'd absolutely make an exception for Dark Souls if it comes to PC.

  19. #59
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    I never buy games at launch but I'd absolutely make an exception for Dark Souls if it comes to PC.
    +1 and I'll buy the strategy guide.

  20. #60
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    "...the company would like to return to the King's Field franchise, and that it's currently considering a PC version of Dark Souls."

    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...oid-games.aspx
    Sadly the actual response is more muted.

    "Of course, it's not over yet," Takeuchi said. "You have to go back to our roots, which is King's Field. We've made many games in that series. We've always been enamored by dark fantasy action RPGs. That's just been our core DNA and I think we'll continue to utilize that."
    I asked From if there was any movement on the requested Windows PC port of Dark Souls, but the developer didn't have much of an update for me.
    "That's going to be a decision left up to the publisher, Bandai Namco, but yes, we have seen the comments and we do know of the desire for a PC version," Takeuchi said.

    http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...-making-games/
    Last edited by Bhazor; 09-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •