Page 43 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I would recommend this also. You aren't supposed to know he's a bastard your first time through the game, so just let him be. Plus it adds an interesting dilemma to the game, where you have to decide what to do with that firekeeper soul.
    I've not got to the part where he does... whatever he does, but an issue with the player messages in the game is his cell had so many nasty messages outside it I kinda guess he is not a good egg. Had me wondering at first if it was wise to release him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    With Lautrec, if it's your first playthrough I say let him do his thing, and then deal with him in Anor Londo. It's a really cool and creepy story event, very atmospheric and interesting.

Of course in NG+ I battered him to death on sight, but that's me.
    Heh I'll see how I feel. I'm tempted to leave him alone but maybe try this kicking thing to see if it works (though I find the command is a little erratic tbh).

Quote Originally Posted by dhlt25 View Post
    Anyone has tips for the guy at the bottom of the stair on the way to the Taurus demon? I went long pass that part and came back yesterday at level 30 ish and the guy still kill me in 1 shot. Also what's the deal with the guy sitting in front of the large closed gate near the blacksmith? I pissed him off and couldn't kill him, did I boned myself?
    The black knight with his back turned to you? Well basically move up slowly and then get him with a backstab/2 handed attack. I was using the drakesword and got a couple of good whacks in on him as he recovered, then legged it upto the previous area, hit him with a firebomb as he came up the stairs and then just circled around dodging his attacks and whacked him a few more times.

Heh the weird thing with the axe and electricity...I made the mistake of going that way...not a clue how to beat that.

BTW in the tower leading to the Taurus demon there's a staircase leading down, not exactly sure wtf whatever beastie it is that's down there (huge and black) I'm guessing a black knight though it could be a golem of some kind. Anyone have any strategies for beating it?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Heh I'll see how I feel. I'm tempted to leave him alone but maybe try this kicking thing to see if it works (though I find the command is a little erratic tbh).

BTW in the tower leading to the Taurus demon there's a staircase leading down, not exactly sure wtf whatever beastie it is that's down there (huge and black) I'm guessing a black knight though it could be a golem of some kind. Anyone have any strategies for beating it?
    I killed the black night and got the ring. This ^^ is the guy that keep killing me, the door behind open close to the gargoyes area.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Ok, ignore the skellies. Go up the ramp. On your right from the bonfire.

Secondly, install this http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Full 1080p rendering and framerate fixes.
    Hahaha, yes, I just looked into some early game tips. First tip for that area? Don't pick a fight in the graveyard.

Also, installed that mod. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. It's immeasurably better now, maybe I'll actually be able to meaningfully start learning to parry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    In Anor Londo now, Sen's requires concentration and well, it's a real bastard if it's your first time their due to the layout, but I got through without too much fuss and kicked the bosses ass. His attacks are ridiculously telegraphed. Also got past the first part of Anor Londo without dying once, even past the two bastardy bastard archers first time, which elicited joyous emotions. They're not difficult really, but I've just had death chains on them before because high ledges make me nervous

Skipped the Painting for now as I want to visit the Smithy here. Also met a very friendly invader (I think he was actually a vengeance blokey, so I've only myself to blame), who just seemed to want a chat. I messed up the fight and he won, but it's nice to meet someone who isn't a dick about it.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by dhlt25 View Post
    I killed the black night and got the ring. This ^^ is the guy that keep killing me, the door behind open close to the gargoyes area.
    Did some research and I guess you mean this guy: -

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Havel+The+Rock

Sounds like a nightmare tbh.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Fuck Havel. That asshole broke my PS3 the day after the game first came out. I went down there, he killed me, and then the game hung on the loading screen while I was waiting to respawn. I had to do a hard reset, and after that, my PS3 would no longer read any discs. Had to send it in for repairs. I can't tell you how satisfying it was when I got it back a couple weeks later, rolled a new character, and went down there to Havel again and beat the shit out of him.

You can backstab him, but unless you have some serious endurance or gear, he can still one shot you right through your shield.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

You can cheese that man to death with a Spear or any long, pointy weapon. Trust me, he never leaves his tower and you can cheese him by going out of the entrance, poke him, and lure him out again by going inside. The only thing you have to be careful with is his giant club.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Activated Node

That's the dude, thanks for the link. I wasted an hour last night trying to kill him, will try again tonight prob with the cheese strat since his ring sounds sick

I know the port's out for a week or so already but when's RPS going to make a WIT for it? Or is it that they didn't want to?
    Art blog here.

I suppose they'll make a WIT once they've beaten it, which can take a good 100 hours.

As for Havel, I only managed to kill him late in the game when my sorcerer-character was leveled up really far and able to sling all kinds of crazy Super Mega Turbo Soul Spear spells from a safe distance. I hear that if you wanna beat him early on you should unequip all your armor since he'll be able to kill you in one hit no matter what and the extra speed helps a lot.
    Last edited by Henke; 29-08-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    For those having trouble with alt-tabbing: press home (or the xbox button) first, which brings up gfwl. You can then tab out succesfully. I miss being able to pause the game like on the ps3 version, but I've managed to cope so far.
    DSFix 0.6 lets you do windowed fullscreen - quick alt tabbing all-round! Hooray
    Last edited by Torn; 29-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    That is true I guess. Started as a Knight and the health bar has been the main focus for fleshing my toon out. The one attack I had an issue with was the two-handed strike he pulled back with, even if I were blocking it drained my stamina bar and took a chunk out of my HP. Can imagine it would possibly be deadly for a low Health / Stamina character.
    If you upgrade your shield you'll take less of a stamina hit from his attacks and it won't overflow into your health bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    I suppose they'll make a WIT once they've beaten it, which can take a good 100 hours.

As for Havel, I only managed to kill him late in the game when my sorcerer-character was leveled up really far and able to sling all kinds of crazy Super Mega Turbo Soul Spear spells from a safe distance. I hear that if you wanna beat him early on you should unequip all your armor since he'll be able to kill you in one hit no matter what and the extra speed helps a lot.
    You just need a bit of stamina (15+) and a relatively stable shield (upgrade yours today!).

He's weak to fire and spells, so pyromancy is good, and magic weapons that do piercing damage are good too. I shoved my +5 Velka's Rapier into his spine a few times last night and he went down pretty easily.
    Last edited by Torn; 29-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    If you upgrade your shield you'll take less of a stamina hit from his attacks and it won't overflow into your health bar.
    Will give that a shot. Not really upgraded stuff too much as the Drake sword has been my main go-to weapon thus far with an occasional play with the other bits and bobs I find. Its not the best one as far as I can tell for blocking (This thing) but the stam regen on it means I can drop my guard for only a second or so before I'm back up to a full bar.

Finding the Zweihander oddly practical when it comes to medium bads who come at me in single file like the Basilisk or the medium sewer rats, prep it a second before they get to you and use heavy attack. Seems to one-shot most things that way.

Plus: Overcompensating? Much?
    ott.jpg

You can take all your armour off and dodge his attacks and backstab him. Much, much, much easier said than done though :P

The best shield to fend off physical attacks is the Heater Shield if you wish to do some turtling. Also, it's lightweight and has a better recovery after parrying
    Art blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Will give that a shot. Not really upgraded stuff too much as the Drake sword has been my main go-to weapon thus far with an occasional play with the other bits and bobs I find. Its not the best one as far as I can tell for blocking (This thing) but the stam regen on it means I can drop my guard for only a second or so before I'm back up to a full bar.
    Grass crest is great for running from A to B with, and certain stamina-intensive fights, but for pure phys damage reduction I'd go with a stable medium or great shield that has 100% phys blocking. The Hollow Soldier Shield and Balder Shield (from the knights in the parish) are good choices available early game.

Get one of them, upgrade to +4 or +5 (farm some titanite shards in the parish, and/or buy them from the smith) and you'll have no problems going toe-to-toe with the Capra demon.

Hey, so since yesterday Dark Souls just constantly keeps going to 15FPS (I checked using Fraps) even though it should be more than capable of running at a constant 30FPS. Indeed, it did run at 30FPS until yesterday. I'm running it on my laptop, with the relevant specs of i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, and AMD 6770M GPU. Anyone encountering something similar? I changed from DSFix 0.4 to 0.5 yesterday, but even after going back to 0.4 (or using 0.6) the choppy frame rate persists. Please help :(

I haven't actually been able to play any further the last few nights (hoping to get some time sunk in this evening), but I saw my first complete rage-uninstall yesterday evening. It was quite entertaining to watch. There was a profanity laden denunciation of some 'lance-firing archers' and an insinuation about the intelligence of the Devs, followed 2 or so minutes later by some more profanity, and that Dark Souls was going on the 'f*cking uninstall pile'. It was said in public chat, and contained some spoilers, so I don't feel bad about posting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I know the port's out for a week or so already but when's RPS going to make a WIT for it? Or is it that they didn't want to?
    I have visions of John being forced to play it by Alec & Jim and doing the keyboard head head bashing gif animation tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    DSFix 0.6 lets you do windowed fullscreen - quick alt tabbing all-round! Hooray
    Sweet, I must admit that's really been bugging me tbh.

Probable Replicant