Page 44 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
    Alright, after installing MSI Afterburner (it's called Kombustor now?!) it's clear what the problem is, the GPU clock is running just above half of what it actually is (400MHz compared to 725MHz) when running Dark Souls! How do I fix that?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    Alright, after installing MSI Afterburner (it's called Kombustor now?!) it's clear what the problem is, the GPU clock is running just above half of what it actually is (400MHz compared to 725MHz) when running Dark Souls! How do I fix that?!
    Something to do with processor affinity possibly?

Edit: my bad I see you mean GPU.

maybe try ATi support? See if there are any beta patches?

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I know the port's out for a week or so already but when's RPS going to make a WIT for it? Or is it that they didn't want to?
    Adam claimed it would be 'early next week' at the weekend (in the DSFix article on Saturday). Whether that means it should have been up early this week, or it won't be up til early next week, is unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Something to do with processor affinity possibly?

Edit: my bad I see you mean GPU.

maybe try ATi support? See if there are any beta patches?
    Yeah, I tried to install an unofficial 12.x driver (dated August 7) but that just gave me a BSOD when the graphics driver was installed. It's definitely something wonky with how the driver is interacting the game, none of the other games induce this downclocking. I'll have to wait till the official WHQL comes out and is modded for switchable graphics.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I spent a good long while trying to kill that Havel bloke last night on a thief character. Christ, one mistake and it's all over, managed at best to backstab about 70% of his health down before he got me.

Getting a better feel for the game now though, a better feel for the required patience and caution. I don't think trying a thief was a good idea, I'm just not good enough at parrying or managing enemy spacing well enough to backstab groups reliably. I think I'm going to try going super-cheap and use a spear-wielding knight.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    I spent a good long while trying to kill that Havel bloke last night on a thief character. Christ, one mistake and it's all over, managed at best to backstab about 70% of his health down before he got me.

Getting a better feel for the game now though, a better feel for the required patience and caution. I don't think trying a thief was a good idea, I'm just not good enough at parrying or managing enemy spacing well enough to backstab groups reliably. I think I'm going to try going super-cheap and use a spear-wielding knight.
    The character doesn't matter, it's the weapon (or spell), primarily.

Are you trying to do him at a low level? If so, then yeah it'll take a while. Most people do Havel later on when they've beefed up a bit. You don't need to go past him or to him yet, even if the Master Key lets you do so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I haven't actually been able to play any further the last few nights (hoping to get some time sunk in this evening), but I saw my first complete rage-uninstall yesterday evening. It was quite entertaining to watch. There was a profanity laden denunciation of some 'lance-firing archers' and an insinuation about the intelligence of the Devs, followed 2 or so minutes later by some more profanity, and that Dark Souls was going on the 'f*cking uninstall pile'. It was said in public chat, and contained some spoilers, so I don't feel bad about posting this.
    LOL. I wonder how many rage quits those two dudes have been responsible for since the game released.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

In NVidia Inspector (I guess that's an equivalent profile thing) I force the power management mode to performance and the AA to high quality etc as per http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...5#post41452645 (I've tweaked these settings downwards a bit on my 560 Ti).

Apparently the problem with Dark Souls is it doesn't tax the CPU or GPU as much as it should, so these go into power saving modes semi-regularly. Upping the CPU priority of DATA.exe to high might help, as well as forcing whatever power management mode for your ATI card.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    LOL. I wonder how many rage quits those two dudes have been responsible for since the game released.
    Haha yeah, they're always fiddly. I mostly just roll underneath the right one's arrows and sit there blocking until he falls off. Parrying also works, but is trickier and you really get punished for mis-timing it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    I've heard the knight is quite hard given it's not super speedy and dodging is difficult (you take a huge hit from stamina with that armour). I'd say give the wanderer a look see instead. I restarted as one and got up to level 23 in a few hours last night (including getting past the taurus demon) just basically using shield block & scimitar heavy attack coupled with using throwing knives and then later a short bow and arrows (buy as many as you can) acquired from the merchant in undead berg in order to pull targets and soften them up. I took the master key as my gift and was able to access the drake valley/blight town/graveyard areas and essentially suicide run around and snatch up goodies (there's a great shield guarded by a 'dead' dragon which is worth getting) , after all if you've no souls on you it's no loss to you if you get killed.

Also tonight I'm going to see if I can kill the bridge Drake. I was cheesing it a bit for souls late last night, but then thought about whether it was possible to avoid it's fire (and youtube seems to confirm). Killing it with it's own tail would be all sorts of awesome tbh.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 29-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Many.

Anor Londo in itself has also gotten a musical tribute.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    So, lesson of the day don't play Dark Souls drunk after a night out.

I killed Pinwheel, the Stray Demon, and promptly lost 45k souls falling of a bridge. Twice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    So, lesson of the day don't play Dark Souls drunk after a night out.

I killed Pinwheel, the Stray Demon, and promptly lost 45k souls falling of a bridge. Twice.
    Ouch. 10 char.

Backpedalling and falling off things is my main cause of demise too... :(

And I just can't play it anymore at 15FPS. Why won't it use my GPU properly? Hopefully DSFix comes out with some fix for AMD GPUs soon.

I finally got to Blight Town after the Gaping Dragon thing proved very easy (and confirms the theory that if it has a tail, chop it off for weaponry). So lets see if this place is the hateful pit of misery that people made it out to be. The Carpa Demon was easy for me so this cant be that ba...
    NDFKGBSDFKGBAUKHEOGHAHNNBKSBVKJSADBVLNSADKLVSNLKVN NVLKAZNVLKZDSNVBKLSFNBLKSDFNBKLNSFBSFNH
    RAGE!!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    I finally got to Blight Town after the Gaping Dragon thing proved very easy (and confirms the theory that if it has a tail, chop it off for weaponry). So lets see if this place is the hateful pit of misery that people made it out to be. The Carpa Demon was easy for me so this cant be that ba...
    NDFKGBSDFKGBAUKHEOGHAHNNBKSBVKJSADBVLNSADKLVSNLKVN NVLKAZNVLKZDSNVBKLSFNBLKSDFNBKLNSFBSFNH
    RAGE!!!
    I'm now officially looking forward to BlightTown, once my home internet starts working the fsck already (yes I know it's not necessary, but I prefer to play online).

And I just can't play it anymore at 15FPS. Why won't it use my GPU properly? Hopefully DSFix comes out with some fix for AMD GPUs soon.
    I can report that I'm using an ATI card (HD 5770?), along with DSFix (latest release, 0.6), and I'm not getting this sudden slowdown. I just loaded it up for 5 minutes, and seemed to be getting the same performance as I was previously.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    RAGE!!!
    Haha. I still remember my first trip down to Blighttown. I stepped off the ladder, and saw an orange player message nearby. I ran over to check it out. "Beware of Fatty." Right as I am wondering, "What Fatty?" I hear the thud of heavy footsteps approaching from behind. Horrified, I turn around, and "OH GOD JESUS WTF IS THAT?!?!?" One hit, and I'm knocked over the side. Beware of Fatty, indeed.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Backpedalling and falling off things is my main cause of demise too... :(

Read my post above where I gave you some tips. The dsfix thread on neogaf probably has more ATI workaround too.

would you guys recommend getting drake sword on first run through? heard it might make beginning of the game bit too easy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    would you guys recommend getting drake sword on first run through? heard it might make beginning of the game bit too easy
    I'd say get it, but only use it if you get stuck somewhere. It's much more fun to upgrade a normal weapon to +5 through titanite shards.