Page 46 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Nothing stops you from being brilliant at everything in Dark Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    Read my post above where I gave you some tips. The dsfix thread on neogaf probably has more ATI workaround too.
    Yup, I installed Radeon Pro to force the executable to high priority... no dice. MSI Kombustor says the 6770M has 3 performance states, of which the last one is the 'proper' 725/800MHz configuration. Dark Souls only manages to activate the second one, which is the 400/800MHz configuration that gives me 15FPS. Do you know how I can perhaps delete the middle config? I think that's the main problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    I'm stuck on the second one too.

I'm using a very heavy upgraded black knight greatsword, which does a fair bit of damage to him... when I can lay a finger on him.

I've gone elsewhere to level up a bit and return stronger.
    I found a method that worked for me on him - go light armour w/ dark wood grain ring and two-handed weapon (if you have enough endurance you can stick a grass crest shield on your back - but I didn't even using the gold-hemmed set) It's a case of dodging and following up on specific attacks - namely his leap and the one where he thrusts directly forward after running at you. Always dodge to the side and not backwards. The only problem you face is, he actually has two leap attack thingies, one of which has an immediate follow-up attack that really hurts, distinguishing the subtle difference between the two, or (like me) being really lucky and overhealing through a hairy moment can see you through though. I was however using the standard black knight sword +5, which is a bit faster than the greatsword, although two handing the greatsword will take chunks out of him.

Comedy screenshot of the death-screen/boss health bar. I say comedy, I mean FUCKING RAGE INDUCING.
    Last edited by Jockie; 30-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    I'm trying to avoid abusing the DWGR too much at the moment, as my character on PS3 was a dex/mag ninja flipping evil bastard, and I'm trying to make this playthrough different, (I'm going high STR, big armour, big huge weapons, tis fun).

But I reckon that would work even without it, if I go light armour, havels ring, I should be able to do the fastest roll (although 14weight of the DKGS is going to slow me down).

It's those leap / charge moves that get me, they track towards you a bit, so you can roll out the way but only if you do it at the last possible​ second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Nothing stops you from being brilliant at everything in Dark Souls.
    Well, you can't get the stats to be brilliant at everythinvg. Alas. (I know, I have tried)

You can make quite a viable multiple strategy build, but ultimately without grinding to fuck, it's going to eventually be a nightmare collecting enough souls to get lvl 40 in Dex/Str/Int/Faith. (I realise you can keep going to SL712, so this is possible, but I mean, you know, for human)

Eh, you can always do a little editing to your stats with a trainer but it wouldn't be fun if you do that that.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Way to make the rest of us who found them obscenely​ difficult feel bad. :(
    Apologies if it came across as gloating. What tactics did you use, though?
    Mine outlined below.

Gear is Giant's Shield and Demon Spear. Mask of the Child. Armour optional. Any rings, but Havel and Steelplate seem to work well.
    Lock onto Orny, keep moving backwards, shield up the entire time. When he gets close (ground dash attack, mostly) stab him once. Keep Smaugh behind Orny if you can. Never let him behind you, just circle around the pillars. As per usual, after taking a hit, drop your shield for a second to get stamina back up.
    The lightning bolts aren't so hard to dodge. Just keep moving sideways, even with shield still up.
    The attack that might get through your block is his dash, where he flies across the ground. Sometimes he aims wrong and goes pretty much full circle around you, hitting you in the side/back. Ornpowered Smaugh seems to be immune to poison: He was gassing purple, but wasn't taking any damage. Keep at a distance, shoot him with arrows. Without armour you can dodge much easier, but any hits you take will probably be fatal. I've yet to kill him, but got him to 25% using only a couple of Estus, so next time should be good.

I used pretty much the same tactic for Sif, light poking and a lot of blocking.
    Pinwheel just got slaughtered, I wasn't going to sit there blocking fireballs all day.
    Even without heavy armour, a decent shield seems to do wonders.

Fought the scariest enemy I have seen last night. I had entered the lower Undead Burg and was just checking things out. Ran into some dogs on the stairs and made short work of them. As I kept looking around suddenly some horrible beast jumps out at me. Turns out I hadn't actually killed the second dog, but he was stuck behind the body of the first. Eventually he made it up the stairs but in the process had gotten the other dog's body stuck to him. Everything was all peaceful and then suddenly I had a two headed dog lunging at me with extra limbs flailing all over and its second head rolling around all sideways and horrible. The second body was partially upside down too so the legs were coming out of its back.

I didn't manage to take a screenshot before I killed it as I was busy swearing, but here is a (terrible) shot of it afterwards.

2 headed dog.jpg
    Last edited by lasikbear; 30-08-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: image embiggening, candian pharmacy, wow it really works

Oh, From. Your bugs in this game amuses me, so
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    How is game doing on steam,i'm interested to see if they will port something new in the future on pc as well :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    8000+ at peak last I checked.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Managed to beat Capra on my second try, wheeeyy! On my first try I killed his dogs, then knocked him off of the ledge and plunge attacked him. This merely upset him, as he then one hit killed me. Second try went much smoother, so now I'm pondering the next course of action. I got a key to the Depths from best friend Capra, but the prospect of smacking trees and butterflies in Darkroot excites me. Decisions!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Darkroot might be a little tougher than the depths, but you should be ok either place. There is a very helpful NPC you can summon right by the boss if you wind up needing a hand.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Managed to get myself cursed. Took advantage of this to go kill many ghosts.

Have come to the conclusion that the worst enemy I have in this game is narrow ledges. And myself.

It's good to hear the community is making this a much more acceptable port. My biggest concern was because of it being such a straight port they'd lock away the code somehow and it wouldn't be possible for DIYers to work on it. They have chosen wisely instead it seems.

Only problem that remains apparently is GFWL. Perhaps I should grab a torrent and wire the devs some money.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Temporarily raged off my knight after losing 24k souls to my own idiot impatience (read: sprinted off an edge when going back for my corpse). Currently sitting bored on my cleric waiting for people to summon me, I really want Great Lightning Spear, 5 more medals to go. I wish I could have two clients running, I could play while I wait on this silly mechanic.

Edit: Woo, 4 to go, but this game really can't have many people playing it.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 30-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Only problem that remains apparently is GFWL. Perhaps I should grab a torrent and wire the devs some money.
    I don't think I've ever been more on a fence about buying a game.

On one hand, it has multiple issues even one of which would disqualify it as a purchase(GFWL, anamorphic, fixed res).

On the other... they DID straight up say it will be a crappy port. Hell, the game was never even planned to be on the PC in the first place, it's the gamers themselves who asked for it. So it's not like FROM did a half-assed job because they just don't give a fuck like it's the case with most bad ports.

And of course the MP is integrated in the game so brilliantly that you really lose a lot by not playing online.

But eh, GFWL... uuuugh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Temporarily raged off my knight after losing 24k souls to my own idiot impatience (read: sprinted off an edge when going back for my corpse). Currently sitting bored on my cleric waiting for people to summon me, I really want Great Lightning Spear, 5 more medals to go. I wish I could have two clients running, I could play while I wait on this silly
    Uggh the worst thing is dying and dropping a bunch of points and then through simple personal slackness failing to retrieve them on the return leg. I decided to get around to dealing with the dark knight in undead berg, who lets face it really isn't that difficult to beat, but I completely screwed up my back stab and then got duly punished dropping about 8k of souls and 5 earned humanity in the process. No biggie really, but instead of being patient to work my way back there drawing/killing the undead with arrows like I'd done a few times before I just ploughed through and got bum rushed at one point and proceeded to lose the lot.....silly mistakes are what kill you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Currently sitting bored on my cleric waiting for people to summon me, I really want Great Lightning Spear, 5 more medals to go. I wish I could have two clients running, I could play while I wait on this silly mechanic.

Edit: Woo, 4 to go, but this game really can't have many people playing it.
    This was me last night. I felt like crying when I just needed 1 more medal and was sent back to my world do to an unstable network connection while Super Ornstein had half health and was falling fast. Just make sure you have enough points in Attunement so that you have at least two miracle slots. Running around with 10 great lightning spears and 10 normal lightning spears is awesome. Also, in case you didn't already know, you need to get your Faith up to 30 to cast the great ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Uggh the worst thing is dying and dropping a bunch of points and then through simple personal slackness failing to retrieve them on the return leg. I decided to get around to dealing with the dark knight in undead berg, who lets face it really isn't that difficult to beat, but I completely screwed up my back stab and then got duly punished dropping about 8k of souls and 5 earned humanity in the process. No biggie really, but instead of being patient to work my way back there drawing/killing the undead with arrows like I'd done a few times before I just ploughed through and got bum rushed at one point and proceeded to lose the lot.....silly mistakes are what kill you.
    There's nothing like your first time running onto the elevator for a New Londo corpse run, only to find out the elevator simply is not there. You have a nice 5 or 6 seconds of free falling to let your unbelievable stupidity sink in.