Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Well its kinda hard to detect sarcasm from post on forum :D

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    When did I disregard it?
    The game looked rather poor in gameplay
    Hmmm.

@JNX
    And you calling gameplay naff when you've only watched a (no doubt glowing) review is just silly.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 11-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    Hmmm.
    "Looked" clearly implies that it's my impression based on on what I saw. Leaving it at that would've been disregarding. Instead I came here to be proven wrong because I don't put too much weight on reviews. Clearly my quest for better understanding of the game was misplaced here.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Clearly my quest for better understanding of the game was misplaced here.
    This lugubrious dénouement whelms thy most humble servant, withal I shall but covet a halcyon endeavours elsewhere upon thee. With alacrity then!

Dark Souls has pretty unique gameplay, actually. Every swing of your weapon is a major decision because if you run in there carelessly hacking and slashing, even the common trash enemies will tear you apart, and even if you've leveled up quite a bit.

It's about precision, calculation and planning. I like that. You might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Dark Souls has pretty unique gameplay, actually. Every swing of your weapon is a major decision because if you run in there carelessly hacking and slashing, even the common trash enemies will tear you apart, and even if you've leveled up quite a bit.

That sounds something I might very well like. Yours is the first worthy answer I've received, thanks for that.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

The vast majority of the game world is open to explore at any point, and I'm pretty sure it could be cleared at any character level if the player possessed the skill. This was an intriguing prospect to me.

As far as combat goes, its easiest comparison is with Monster Hunter, the PS2-turned-PSP sensation in Japan. Haven't played it in ages, myself. I remember it being satisfying to hunt creatures with mechanically-distinct weapon types, but also that I was dismayed to find that much of the game revolved around a very tedious grind of loot-collecting...

Dark Souls is organized more seamlessly than Monster Hunter, but they do share a similar grind when it comes to weapons and armor that may give you a significant advantage in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post

Oh for goodness sakes, this isn't new at all, just that almost no-one has played King's Field. :( I'm very glad to hear that From are considering going back to KF, because they all are much superior games to Demon's Souls. Dark Souls? Well at least it's open world, but still not first person!

"
    Oh for goodness sakes, this isn't new at all"

Unique != new

It is unique because not many people do it, it is a rarity. Not because it is original and no one has ever done it before.

Not to mention, the mechanics of Dark Souls are a lot more varied and kinetic than those of King's Field.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    There some kind of teasery announcement thing happening over on the Facebooks. Nothing revealed yet, it's one of those 'If seventy billion people 'like' this, maybe we'll tease you with a picture that reveals nothing" things.

https://www.facebook.com/darksouls/app_352678381442367
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Shortly after the facebook arseholery, a freelancer journalist that seems to be working for an Australian magazine posted this on the interwebs:

If this ends up being one big trolling scheme, I will kill myself so hard I'll revive and rekill myself in an instant.

If this ends up being true, I am so getting this day one.

Just got an 360 version of Dark Souls and never played it before. Aside from the general consensus that it's frustratingly hard, I heard that nobody you fight dies but you can be killed, instead . Is this true?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Just got an 360 version of Dark Souls and never played it before. Aside from the general consensus that it's frustratingly hard, I heard that nobody you fight dies but you can be killed, instead . Is this true?
    It's not frustratingly hard if you've played video game from the 80s and early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    It's not frustratingly hard if you've played video game from the 80s and early 90s.
    From what I've seen, it's a just bit slower than Severence's combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    "Volcano's aren't hot if you've been on the surface of the sun."

Voon; only bosses and special NPC's die permanently when you kill them. Everyone else respawns when you die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    Voon; only bosses and special NPC's die permanently when you kill them. Everyone else respawns when you die.
    And you will die. Doesn't matter who you are, and machismo-spewing would-be badasses who try to deny its difficulty are simply lying to themselves. It's also dangerously addictive. I found Demon's Souls to feel a bit more immediate than Severance; some of the enemies in the latter feel like straight up meat shields. As a result, you also die faster in Demon's Souls, though you can easily still get fucked up by minor enemies in Severance if you aren't paying attention.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    From what I've seen, it's a just bit slower than Severence's combat.
    No it's not. Go watch some videos. In Dark Souls you tend to hit enemies at least twice as fast.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 21-03-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Oh, cool

/10char