Page 55 of 176 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3516
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I had the same problem when I first started playing Demon's Souls on PS3. I wanted to use the face buttons for everything. You'll get over it. Once you are used to the controls, the actual gameplay will feel incredibly natural.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The manual is like 5 pages long. I'm gonna' have to do a bit of research methinks. Not sure if there's a way to compare the stats of current armour and shop armour without exiting a shop and checking. Not sure what I should be buying (a key to the area, and the ability to repair items at a bonfire seemed important). Not sure which stats I should be upgrading for a fighter. Not sure how to upgrade weapons. Not sure what the purpose of using humanity to restore myself is, rather than spending it on stats. Or is it souls that are spent on stats? What? Where are my pants? What?

I saw what I thought was a black knight. Ran away screaming. Also found my first troll message telling me to jump off the roof. Or maybe it was geniune. Either way I wasn't eager to try again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Welcome to Dark Souls.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    For Drake's benefit; there are three types of stats:

Offensive stats: Strength, Dexterity, Faith and Intelligence. These govern how you're going to hit and how hard. Pick one that fits a archetype and focus on it, only take the others as required to equip gear.

Support stats: Endurance, Vitality and Attunement. Endurance is your stamina and carry weight, as any melee build you'll be taking a fair bit of that, especially if you intend to use heavy armour/weapons. Vitality is obviously your health, it's not that important, since in Dark Souls the emphasis is on not losing health at all. Just make sure you keep enough health so a mistake doesn't one shot you. Attunement is purely for casters, it increases the number of spell slots they have.

Useless stats: Resistance. Don't touch it. Ever.

As for upgrading weapons, blacksmiths can do that for you. There is a kit for armour and weapon upgrading that lets you do the bog standard upgrades on your own. First blacksmith sells those, worth getting, only 2000 a pop. You'll know when you're approaching a blacksmith, you'll hear that sound that is ever-comforting in a fantasy RPG - the sound of hammer on anvil.

Humanity's main uses are kindling bonfires (nets you more Estus flasks to a max of 20, very useful) and turning yourself human so you can summon npc spirits and other players (though you can be invaded by hostile pvpers in certain areas).

Generally speaking you won't need to buy very much from merchants at all, weapon/armour-wise that is. 90% of the most desirable stuff is looted from the world or enemies, your primary interaction with NPC's will be upgrading at blacksmiths in all likelihood.

Thanks, that ought to get me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Shagging my cousin would feel more natural than this control scheme.
    I just wanna say in my 5 mins of browsing this forum you're my favoritest poster ever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I had the same problem when I first started playing Demon's Souls on PS3. I wanted to use the face buttons for everything. You'll get over it. Once you are used to the controls, the actual gameplay will feel incredibly natural.
    Yeah I was all fingers and thumbs coming off sleeping dogs for a while, but now it feels quite natural. Your base attack/defense being the shoulders and the advanced stuff being the triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    ~snip~
    All sound advice. I would add that the undead merchant in Undead berg also sells a repair box and an inventory management box which are both worth getting when you've the souls. Also buy a short bow & some arrows at it makes dealing with the fire bomb throwing assholes a lot easier (RB + LB to aim and RB to fire). You've a clear shot up at the first just outside the bonfire location if you look up and too your left and you can punish the other two from where the crossbow guy is as well as take out/kite the guy stood below near the door and the axe guy in the room across the causeway, leaving you just the one asshole in the room to deal with.

Generally it takes two shots early on to kill standard undead dudes (though higher dex increases damage) which is 20 souls in ammo, but the return is general 60 - 80 per kill and not much wear and tear on your gear which is a bonus.

Oh also buy the messaging chalk (100 souls). You can use it to make your own messages for other players ('need humanity' or 'I can't take this' are common ones) and if you x after reading someones message it allows you to rate it. Giving it a plus gives the message writer a humanity in their game (it doesn't cost you anything) which means they might return the favour.

Thanks, that ought to get me going.
    Fundamentally don't sweat the game. Just treat the first few hours as learning tbh. You'll likely want to play around with different character builds until you find one that suits your style.

Early on don't spend any found humanity unless you absolutely need to (just use it to turn human so you can kindle newly discovered bonfires) If you get killed and don't successfully get back to your bloodstain and retrieve your dropped souls/humanity you lose them permanently.

Being human is useful in that it allows you to summon in other players (watch out for white sigils on the ground) who can fight by your side (handy for boss fights). On the downside they can't use their Estus flasks. Instead they are reliant on you using yours to keep them alive. Generally if you see a summon sign it's worth trying as invariably the player already has completed the area and can show you what to do.

Similarly once you have the white chalk (speak to solare after the Taurus demon a couple of times and he gives you some) if you are human you can make yourself available to be summoned as well. There's no real downside tbh. If you get killed you drop back into your own world, but you're unharmed, and you earn XP.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 05-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Network Hub
    yes after the first boss i used my summoning sign as dry runs for the bosses. doing it a few times as a phantom before trying it myself. You can only summon or be summoned if your in the right level range though, so you have to be careful not to over level yourself.

In difficult and/or stressful games I tend to quit early on and restart to enjoy playing through the part im familiar with before moving a bit further then the previous iteration. Ive certainly noticed a huge increase in skill, got through the 2 first bosses on first try and relatively little stress (well more focused stress).

Banned
    Pad. I thought it'll be easier, but I'm having trouble adapting to all the most used actions being regulated to the shoulder buttons, which are typically used for the shooty shoot in an FPS. Shagging my cousin would feel more natural than this control scheme.
    Shoot a gun, swing a sword. Is there really that much of a difference to not make it a shoulder? Well, maybe I shouldn't be saying that considering I used to drink Estus instead of attacking at the beginning.

Also, to all Blighttown haters: ENB, which should tell you nothing, did a Blighttown Hater's Guide to Blighttown. Storyline spoilers after Quelaag.
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 05-09-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I am a terrible person. I keep on abandoning characters because I suddenly take a fancy for another. I believe I now have three characters just past Anor Londo now, with two more on the way. I really need to just take a character all the way to the end at least once.

Banned
    At least you're abandoning them. I simply delete the old one and start again.

But this build will work... for sure, right?

You're getting your money's worth from re playability - nothing wrong with that. Some game isn't even worth restarting past the half way mark.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I felt like restarting my really well thought out build when I accidentally created the Cursed greatword of Artorias, rather than the proper one. But then I gave my 30 humanity to the Darkwraiths and got the evil armour of death which was my other main goal for the character. I'm rather pleased with the evil looking bastard of a character I've made. Set yourself goals, like a specific weapon you want to create and wield or relatively difficult covenant you want to join and the characters tend to last longer. I highly recommend a dex build geared towards a Quelaag's Furysword. It's a very fun and powerful weapon and scales with humanity.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

My framerate problems have just stopped, as mysteriously as they began. Dark Souls is a mysterious and dangerous beast.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    So, how many copies did they sell on pc so far ... i'm dying to find out if they feel it was worth the port :D

I spent a couple of hours on the game this afternoon restarting as a bandit. Apart from the shopkeeper in the Undead Burg, I searched the starting area and found an imprisoned mute monk, a knight, and a giant crow, none of which I can interact with right now. Tried to 'kindle' at the bonfire but it says I need some sort of rite. Took a quick trip down to the graveyard but the skeletons are super tough, even with a mace. I ain't going downstairs. Burg it is then.

I haven't had the guts to go too far past the first bonfire in the Undead Burg. One way is blocked by a black knight, the other leads to a huge tower with notes scrawled all over warning me of demons or perhaps a possible upcoming boss. When I went back to the bonfire, it was blocked behind white smoke which couldn't be penetrated.

Dark Souls is weird.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    At least you're abandoning them. I simply delete the old one and start again.

But this build will work... for sure, right?
    Serial restarter here.

I think I've gone through about 7 - 10 characters now just trying different things and I've not really advanced that far in the actual game tbh (gotten past the Capra demon and started on the depths). My particular thing is just figuring out a maximizing approach in terms of garnering equipment, minimal deaths and taking down particular enemies. It's kind of absurd in a way, but the games like an onion in that regard.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I felt like restarting my really well thought out build when I accidentally created the Cursed greatword of Artorias, rather than the proper one. But then I gave my 30 humanity to the Darkwraiths and got the evil armour of death which was my other main goal for the character. I'm rather pleased with the evil looking bastard of a character I've made. Set yourself goals, like a specific weapon you want to create and wield or relatively difficult covenant you want to join and the characters tend to last longer. I highly recommend a dex build geared towards a Quelaag's Furysword. It's a very fun and powerful weapon and scales with humanity.
    Yeah a couple of my characters look quite seriously badass now. One is wearing the Gold-hemmed Black set and wielding the Lifehunt Scythe and a BK Shield, looks very grim reaperish. The other is wearing the Black Iron set and wielding a BK Great Axe and the Shield of Artorias (and somehow with 40 end, Havel's ring and Ring of F&P takes up only 50% weight), makes the real black knights look like little pansies.

I've tried to get into making a pure mage type character, but I can never seem to hold interest for any length of time in it. I really want to get one of those heavily levelled enough to have a play with the best spells. So, that'll be today's objective for me.

At some point I also want to build a character around Artorias' Greatsword. Insane stat requirements but also insane synergies, there's a character build that won't stop scaling for ages. Hell, you won't even be able to use the sword until around level 50.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 05-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    At some point I also want to build a character around Artorias' Greatsword. Insane stat requirements but also insane synergies, there's a character build that won't stop scaling for ages. Hell, you won't even be able to use the sword until around level 50.
    I did this in my recent game. I'm at a SL 90-something, with like 36 STR, 20 DEX, 20 INT, and around 33 faith. Obviously I was over leveled for the last part of the game, so Artorias' Greatsword at +5 was one or two shotting most things. For bosses with large health pools though, my great sword +15 was still way better. Artorias' sword isn't supposed to really shine for another 20 or 30 levels though. Also, don't forget that with the new content, you can make an abyss version of the same sword that scales with your humanity. It also has a very cool move set. I beat the game a couple nights ago, but haven't set foot outside my cell in NG+ yet. It will be interesting to see how well the sword fares now though.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    Alternative for Four Kings: take everything with you that results in more damage (weapon enchantments or pine resins, power within), rush at them and tear them down before they can say WARFA...
    No, rushing at them is still a mistake because of the way they spawn. DPS nuking is fine (at least on a fresh "new game" run), but let the first one come to you. It really is easier that way.

If they always spawned at a distance from the player, running in would be preferable time-wise. But it doesn't work like that. They spawn in a specific place, and the closer you are to that spot while fighting, the more you're going to get pig-piled by the reinforcements as they spawn in.