Page 93 of 176 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 3516
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunjumper View Post
    And the greater problem: Ornstein and Smough. It reminds me of the Capra demon battle. The room is small, the camara usually facing the wrong way, only that this time there are two enemies.

Any tips?
    Capra's not too bad once you learn the deal. Kill the dogs fast, then just treat Capra like any strong mook (which he basically is :p)

Best suggestions for Ornstein & Smough: Two approaches of varying "cheap"ness, both made much easier if you take an ally. Even if the ally sucks, they'll draw a few attacks (just like Solaire will) and do some damage to help soften them up

1. Watch a few youtubes to learn how to handle their patterns
    2. Just keep trying until you figure out the best way to deal with it.

FOr a first time player, I suggest taking Ornstein out first and then handling Smough after. If you have a light load, you can avoid Smough's attacks and then it is just a VERY tense slow whittling away.

Note: IF you are planning to go for the "I got everything" achievement, take Super Ornstein first as he is MUCH more difficult and is not the one you want to fight on an NG+ :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I need some help with dsfix. How am I supposed to render the game at 2560x1440 and then downsize it to 1920x1080?

Banned
    renderWidth 2560
    renderHeight 1440

presentWidth 1920
    presentHeight 1080

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Alright, I'll try that, thanks.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Definitely take out Ornstein first, uber-Smough is easy to deal with because his attacks don't change, they just get stronger. He also has no ranged attack, or any attack which dodging away from him doesn't avoid.

Yeah, the hell that is O&S is mostly down to the following:

Sometimes you get screwed and just can't kill Ornstein first due to how the AI works. Thus meaning you must face Super Ornstein...
    Anor Londo is the Invasion capital of the multiverse (I include Demon's Souls in that :p), so you are VERY likely to get invaded on your way to the fight if you want any summons
    Even Super-Smough is a long and grueling fight where one mistake can potentially result in insta-death. Meaning you are dead and have to restart the process all over again.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Erm wrong thread,pardon me.

Activated Node
    So, I want to pick this game up, but I dont have an Xbox 360 controller. I do Own a PS3 one though. Is it enough of a pain making the PS3 controller work that I should just buy an Xbox controller, or is it not so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by motherpuncher View Post
    So, I want to pick this game up, but I dont have an Xbox 360 controller. I do Own a PS3 one though. Is it enough of a pain making the PS3 controller work that I should just buy an Xbox controller, or is it not so bad?
    This might help

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2901477

I haven't played Dark Souls since October 1st last year. I kinda missed reading this thread to read other people talking about playing it :)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    ugh, Maybe I will just grab a 360 controller some day.

Thanks for the tips.

My main problem with the duo is less their movement and attacks, which are orderly enough and well telegraphed, but mostly the camera which is almost always facing away from them. This turns any kind of tactics into a lottery and the time it takes to move the viewpoint is often enough to get flattened.
    If I lock on to one of them it get's very hard to manouver properly so that hasn't helped that much so far.

Mostly it is very hard to get a feeling for the flow of the battle. At least the bonfire is not far away and one can run straight towards them without much of a hassle.

In regards to summons I only managed to summon one ally to this battle once and he never even made it through the fog gate... He arrived with only a sliver of health which took three estus flasks to heal and every once in a while his energy drained enrmously again. What exactly was that? Unfortunate equipment?
    I would try an NPC next but I am still running very low on humanity and don't want to risk it on a fight that I will probably lose a dozen more times anyway.

If you want to be ultra-cheap in the end, kill Smough then dungpie Ornstein up when he goes uber, then take potshots with a ranged weapon when you can. Its VERY slow but he falls down in the end.

Network Hub
    Wait, you can dungpie them? That will greatly speed up my "Poke Orn with a spear when he leaves himself open" technique.

The problem I have with them is that any time Orn leaves himself open, Smough is normally using his rush-uppercut attack. I'm normally not fast enough to get ranged shots off against them.
    Then the fight against Ornpowered Smough is a lot of dodging and poking, hoping he doesn't buttslam.

I'd much rather fight Artorias than O&S. He's strong, but generally only punishes you for doing the wrong thing. It's harder to manipulate two bosses at the same time.

I have to follow Gundato's advice later and have a look at some YouTube vids to get a feel for their strategies.
    One thing I have found to be rather helpful to manouver around the two bastards is to use the columns as a barrier against them. Even when they are broken it makes it easier to dodge one attack in a way that will also give you an advantage against the other.

If the fight was 'survive O & S for 10 minutes' I would have allready passed...
    So far I tend to jump out from my hiding point to pointlessly swing around my sword to no effect because for some strange reason I always get the strinking distance wrong.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    Wait, you can dungpie them? That will greatly speed up my "Poke Orn with a spear when he leaves himself open" technique.

The problem I have with them is that any time Orn leaves himself open, Smough is normally using his rush-uppercut attack. I'm normally not fast enough to get ranged shots off against them.
    Then the fight against Ornpowered Smough is a lot of dodging and poking, hoping he doesn't buttslam.

I'd much rather fight Artorias than O&S. He's strong, but generally only punishes you for doing the wrong thing. It's harder to manipulate two bosses at the same time.
    Turn human and summon brolaire in the room before the boss. His summon sign is half way up one of the side staircases. He'll prove a suitable distraction for one of them in the first half of the fight, being particularly adept at distracting Smough, since Ornstein has a habit of dashing away from him. That's how I normally handle that fight anyway.

Also as Sunjumper says use the pillars, once you get a feel for the room's layout you can comfortably keep your camera on the enemy. Block one of them with a pillar and it can give a few seconds to go for the other one. Get Ornstein down and you've basically won, assuming no silly mistakes on your part.

Banned
    Wait, you can dungpie them?
    When in doubt - Dung Pie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by motherpuncher View Post
    ugh, Maybe I will just grab a 360 controller some day.
    I would recommend just getting a 360 pad, but maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5_16G-srI
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Turn human and summon brolaire in the room before the boss. His summon sign is half way up one of the side staircases. He'll prove a suitable distraction for one of them in the first half of the fight, being particularly adept at distracting Smough, since Ornstein has a habit of dashing away from him. That's how I normally handle that fight anyway.

Also as Sunjumper says use the pillars, once you get a feel for the room's layout you can comfortably keep your camera on the enemy. Block one of them with a pillar and it can give a few seconds to go for the other one. Get Ornstein down and you've basically won, assuming no silly mistakes on your part.
    I'm on my... 4th character facing them? It never gets easier. Even with Solaire Hammer-Eater, it's difficult. I know to travel around the room, trying to get Smough to rush into pillars while baiting Orn to dash me. It's just, the amount of time the fight takes, on top of how little damage I do (SL3 run), makes it likely I'll mess up at some point.

I'm on my... 4th character facing them? It never gets easier. Even with Solaire Hammer-Eater, it's difficult. I know to travel around the room, trying to get Smough to rush into pillars while baiting Orn to dash me. It's just, the amount of time the fight takes, on top of how little damage I do (SL3 run), makes it likely I'll mess up at some point.

Well, you obviously have to handle a low SL run differently :p

But for the sane folks out there, Solaire is definitely a must until you are a true badass. He will almost always keep at least one of them tied up single-handedly which will allow you to drop the other one with a bit of a sprint.

Oh, suggested gear to make things easier:

Pyromancy Flame with some of the stronger attacks. I would avoid Power Within and Iron Flesh, but fire anything works pretty well. Just be careful because these are close-range spells so you might get sodomized during the casting animation.
    Quelaag's Furysword. Probably your best bet of getting a fire-weapon at this point AND it is one of the best choices for a dex-based melee anyway. Obviously the stronger you make it the better, keeping in mind the limited amount of Demon Titanite. But, at that point in the game, it is possible to fully upgrade with minimal sequence breaking and no need for the Chaos Covenant. Considering that almost every boss is vulnerable to fire, it is probably a good idea for a new player to consider doing a full upgrade (then +15 a normal weapon later)