Page 96 of 176 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 3516
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I would disagree on killing Lautrec early on as the quest he is related to is one of the most fun in the game.
    True, but on the other hand that ring is immeasurably valuable when you're still learning the game :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Maybe. I dunno, I am more the "sink or swim" kind of guy who also suggests people avoid the Drake Sword. The longer you can go before using one of the crutch items, the better off you will be.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Will see if I kill this Lautrec guy right away or not... but thanks for all the great tips Darkfenix. I'll see if i like dex weapons or magic spells better. Can you still use a sturdy shield and stay with a low load ?
    Last edited by Drayk; 28-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Will see if I kill this Lautrec guy right away or not... but thanks for all the great tips Darkfenix. I'll see if i like dex weapons or magic spells better. Can you still use a sturdy shield and stay with a low load ?
    You'll need to invest a bit (or just avoid heavy armor and only wield one weapon at a time), but yes. Many of the kite shields offer 100% damage reduction and you can get high stability by upgrading them. It won't be Tower Shield stability, but it is more than sufficient as generally anything that would break your guard (if you have full stamina) will do so regardless of what shield you carry. And if you are taking a boss's strong attack with anything other than full stamina, you need to learn how to block better :p
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There are a couple of shields that only weight 3.0 but are 100% physical protection, that's the Crest shield (second visit to Asylum, same place you were given the Estus flask by that dying knight) and the Dragon Crest shield (available right at the start if you have Master Key gift, down the elevator below Firelink Shrine, turn right into the neighbouring tower and open the gate, follow the canyon, under the zombie dragon's claw). Arguably the best shield to get is the Black Knight shield (obviously enough from black knights, reasonable drop chance), it weighs a whopping 6.0 (so something to use when you've boosted your endurance a lot) and requires 16 strength, but it has excellent stability and the highest fire resistance of any shield. If you don't get one of these, the Silver Knight shield is farmable later, 14 strength requirement, weighs 5.0, better stability than the BK shield but lower fire resist.

Network Hub
    I'd also recommend my favourite shield, the Spider Shield. Okay Stability, weights 3.0, 100% physical blocking, 100% resistance of poison and toxin effects.
    Very useful for blocking enemies that poison.

Spider Shield is really good for Blighttown, but the comparatively low stability (when compared to the other shields) really hurts it. Since Stability is what determines how much you can block. Low stability: Your stamina drops fast and you get spanked. High stability: You can just block for hours on end and never notice.

My personal favorite shield is Silver Knight, if only because the process of grinding for it gives me an excuse to stock up on twinkling titanite.

But always try and have a few different shields for different situations. At the very least, you want one for magic and one for fire.

Ok I started... I am level 8 now, Got both ASS and Estoc + the Dragon Crest Shield. I pumped dex to 12 and put some stamina and endurance. I am ready to start my journey.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Spider Shield is really good for Blighttown, but the comparatively low stability (when compared to the other shields) really hurts it. Since Stability is what determines how much you can block. Low stability: Your stamina drops fast and you get spanked. High stability: You can just block for hours on end and never notice.

My personal favorite shield is Silver Knight, if only because the process of grinding for it gives me an excuse to stock up on twinkling titanite.

But always try and have a few different shields for different situations. At the very least, you want one for magic and one for fire.
    Yeah a magic resist shield is a godsend for certain bosses who mix magic damage into their attacks (not sure what I would have done about the Four Kings without the Crest shield to soak those bloody homing missiles). My usual selection of shields is Black Knight shield (fire), Crest shield (magic), Spider shield (poison, specifically for Blighttown and those fucking snipers) and sometimes the Silver Knight shield for all round resists plus maximum stability.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Yeah a magic resist shield is a godsend for certain bosses who mix magic damage into their attacks (not sure what I would have done about the Four Kings without the Crest shield to soak those bloody homing missiles). My usual selection of shields is Black Knight shield (fire), Crest shield (magic), Spider shield (poison, specifically for Blighttown and those fucking snipers) and sometimes the Silver Knight shield for all round resists plus maximum stability.
    Upgrade a shield to level 10 and ascend it to Arstora's Greatshield, one of the best shields I believe.

I'm level 86 at the moment and just defeated Manus, father of the Abyss. His hand slams didn't even damage me when shielding and with Sif on my side who did a great job distracting him while I healed. His grab attack was kind of nasty though.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Upgrade a shield to level 10 and ascend it to Arstora's Greatshield, one of the best shields I believe.

I'm level 86 at the moment and just defeated Manus, father of the Abyss. His hand slams didn't even damage me when shielding and with Sif on my side who did a great job distracting him while I healed. His grab attack was kind of nasty though.
    My meatbag of a strength character is using Artorias' Greatshield, very nice shield but I tend to dislike shields that can't parry. Did Manus myself today on my scythe-wielding dex build. Walked all over him like never before, didn't take a single hit from him. It's the first character I've used the Wood-grain ring on, that upgraded dodge is an absolute godsend, I love it.

Just got that character onto NG+ an hour or two ago, poor Gwyn went down without landing a scratch on me either, he used easily parried attacks over and over again. I think my character is level 90-odd, I have 40 dex, 40 endurance, 30 vit and am in the process of building up a bit of int and attunement for some spellcasting capability. In particular I want to use weapon buffs on my +15 Great Scythe, I'm gonna get to 25 int to use Crystal Magic Weapon, then probably pump faith to 30 for Sunlight Blade. I figure a +15 scythe that can buff with magic or lightning damage should be able to see off all comers. Going to grab the Dingy armour set and +10 it this time round too, of all the light armour its resists seem to be the best all round.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    My meatbag of a strength character is using Artorias' Greatshield, very nice shield but I tend to dislike shields that can't parry. Did Manus myself today on my scythe-wielding dex build. Walked all over him like never before, didn't take a single hit from him. It's the first character I've used the Wood-grain ring on, that upgraded dodge is an absolute godsend, I love it.

Just got that character onto NG+ an hour or two ago, poor Gwyn went down without landing a scratch on me either, he used easily parried attacks over and over again. I think my character is level 90-odd, I have 40 dex, 40 endurance, 30 vit and am in the process of building up a bit of int and attunement for some spellcasting capability. In particular I want to use weapon buffs on my +15 Great Scythe, I'm gonna get to 25 int to use Crystal Magic Weapon, then probably pump faith to 30 for Sunlight Blade. I figure a +15 scythe that can buff with magic or lightning damage should be able to see off all comers. Going to grab the Dingy armour set and +10 it this time round too, of all the light armour its resists seem to be the best all round.
    I never really use parry because enemies hit hard enough to kill you in a few hits and my timing is always off. I prefer just block it with my +3 Greatshield of Artorias. It's stable enough and will keep my footed with most enemies. I'm also rocking the paladin armor which is light enough to let me dodge with Havel's Ring.

It's only upgradable to level 5, sadly.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I never really use parry because enemies hit hard enough to kill you in a few hits and my timing is always off. I prefer just block it with my +3 Greatshield of Artorias. It's stable enough and will keep my footed with most enemies. I'm also rocking the paladin armor which is light enough to let me dodge with Havel's Ring.

It's only upgradable to level 5, sadly.
    I always have trouble parrying. It seems to be a pretty risky move. Generally it's much better to circle around an enemy and backstab.

There is a really good youtube that covers parrying. I suggest googling and watching it as it will, at the very least, get you to a good 50% success rate JUST from watching it.

But my personal preference is a sturdy kite shield. I can parry, but I can also just tank the blows while flanking.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There is a really good youtube that covers parrying. I suggest googling and watching it as it will, at the very least, get you to a good 50% success rate JUST from watching it.

But my personal preference is a sturdy kite shield. I can parry, but I can also just tank the blows while flanking.
    This, I've watched that Youtube video (for anyone interested, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0) and it's invaluable for figuring the system out. I still kinda suck at parrying, but frankly the difference between the best standard shields and greatshields in stability isn't that much anyway (best greatshield has 88 stability, while the best standard has 76), while the weight increase is enormous.

I've made a mage character too in the last few days, found parrying to be enormously useful for that too. Magic can't backstab, but a parry provides a huge window to blast a big spell in an enemy's face. It's tended to be how I deal with things like Black Knights, who will irritatingly block your spells all the time, but at the same time most of them broadcast their attacks quite nicely. The enemies I can't parry are mostly ones I seldom face (halberd/greataxe BK's for instance) or ones with strange animations (like those damn snake soldiers). Oddly enough I also have trouble parrying the starting zombie enemies because they have that strange extended wind-up on some of their moves, which throws my timing off.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 31-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Four Kings have been defeated, not all that hard. Just keep close and smack them around a bit and be careful for their grab attack.

Ok... I am SL 25. I killed The Taurus, the gargoylles and Havel. I am more or less where I was the last time. I killed Lautrec in a duel, not by letting him fall, Ill play his quest in NG+. I'll now farm baldur knights for their swords. I mostly use my +4 estoc for the moment. I have both lautrec and havel ring now. I should find better armor.

I plan to upgrade my estoc with lighting and keep Baldur sword normal and use magic weapon on it.

I am sitting at 8 humanity without using a single humanity object (I have something like 11 humanity item + a double) I play way better than last time around.

Stats so far: VIT: 15: STR:12 END: 20 DEX 17 INT:12 FAITH: 8 only have 2 slots for spells...

I don't think i'll go full dex I'll probably put some more INT for some nice spells later.

I don't really now where to go now... I might try the catacombs but I don't have enough FAITH for the miracle sword... Maybe 2handed ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I haven't read any of the thread on purpose. I would like to know if someone could help me from time to time over Steam chat, in the spoiler-freest possible of ways. I just need tips on where to go because I tend to get lost from time to time.

Send me a private message or add me on Steam with this same user.

Thanks.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Grrr, I almost killed Seath in first encounter yesterday. He had HP for maybe 4 hits with my black knight sword (I've got this beauty before or soon after killing gargoyles, lol) and then he killed me with his tail. Next 2 attempts to kill him was failures. :|

Ok... I am SL 25. I killed The Taurus, the gargoylles and Havel. I am more or less where I was the last time. I killed Lautrec in a duel, not by letting him fall, Ill play his quest in NG+. I'll now farm baldur knights for their swords. I mostly use my +4 estoc for the moment. I have both lautrec and havel ring now. I should find better armor.

I plan to upgrade my estoc with lighting and keep Baldur sword normal and use magic weapon on it.

I am sitting at 8 humanity without using a single humanity object (I have something like 11 humanity item + a double) I play way better than last time around.

Stats so far: VIT: 15: STR:12 END: 20 DEX 17 INT:12 FAITH: 8 only have 2 slots for spells...

I don't think i'll go full dex I'll probably put some more INT for some nice spells later.

I don't really now where to go now... I might try the catacombs but I don't have enough FAITH for the miracle sword... Maybe 2handed ?
    I think you might like the Elite Knight set in the Darkroot Garden.