Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node

Looking for collaberators to help with the strategy game I'm developing

upfront disclaimer: the only situation in which I envisage this game being finished is if I end up unemployed next year and have nothing else to do. So this is mainly about having fun (some of us enjoy designing things and working out solutions to problems) and learning some new skills (coding in my case).

I have a couple of projects on the go. The one that I'm currently interested in is a TBS set on a planet. I've got some ideas for interesting mechanics that I'd like to explore.

Is anybody interested in helping out? Ideally, with coding (C#), as I have a friend who's doing some 3D stuff for me, and there isn't a huge need for assets at the moment. Later on, I'll be looking for help in fleshing out the game world, content, etc. But for the time being, I'm concentrating on "the plumbing."

For example, the camera currently auto-centres on your currently selected unit. And you can rotate the camera around the world. It all works OK. But it would be nice to give somebody the job of making it work WELL. So the camera auto-scrolls to the next unit, rather than jumping straight there. Gradual acceleration in camera orbit speed. Having the camera "swing out" as you zoom in so you end up in a sort of isotropic view rather than always being pointing straight at the world.

Another (more exciting) example would be the procedural world generation. I've got something basic working, based on perlin noise. But there's a lot of scope for improving this and making more interesting worlds

If you need a designer, I'm game :p
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

I could be interested in having a poke at your camera issues.

These days I find myself less and less inclined to do anything creative. Lousy gainful employment, grumble mutter etc.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingstalker View Post
    If you need a designer, I'm game :p
    Well, I'll no doubt be looking for people to bounce ideas off, and help pick holes in my designs, contribute ideas etc, but I'm good for the design stage at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    I could be interested in having a poke at your camera issues.

These days I find myself less and less inclined to do anything creative. Lousy gainful employment, grumble mutter etc.

Great. If you PM me your email, I'll get in touch and we can work out how we'll split some jobs. I've already mentioned two obviously self contained things that could easily be passed to somebody else. I'm sure we can think of some others too.

First thing to do is to download Unity3D (it's free), and maybe go through a few basic tutorials if you haven't used it before.

I'd love to help with the procedural world gen aswell. Just tell me what i need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingstalker View Post
    I'd love to help with the procedural world gen aswell. Just tell me what i need to do.
    Follow the same instructions as above: download Unity3D, have a play around and get used to how it works. Send me your email and I can let you see what I have so far.

Obscure Node
    I know that you mentioned that you are not looking for any artist to help you with the 3d at this point but when you are ready to start fleshing it out a bit more, hit me up! I am currently studying and graduating next year so looking for any projects to help me flesh out a portfolio.

I would be happy to help out in the programming, with what limited time I have. I have experience in C, specifically C++ and C#. I have also done Javascript, and at least three weeks experience using Unity3D.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)