Thread: Insert coin

Insert coin

All of these F2P/microtransaction models, in-game currency, persistent unlocks, the ME3 day one DLC/best ending controversies, have got me thinking. Are we about to come full circle and get to an Arcade-style business model, where quicktime events evolve from "Press X" to "Pay with PayPal"?

I look at current "popular" games like Tiny Towers, and wonder if actually the majority of people would actually prefer games to be that way.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Absolutely great business concept for online games.

It means F2P games are more easily accessible for gamers who want to try before really getting into the main course of the game. Demo could be a means for granting such access, but F2P is a good alternative.

Plus, it means continuous commitment from developers or publishers. Such these days online games rely more and more on server operations maintained by developers or publishers, pay-to-win model means continuous income stream for them to commit into the supporting the game. I always wonder, if an online game is a one lump-sum deal, why would dev. be willing server support after selling the software?

Of course, subscription or monopoly of server providing can also be good business models. However, subscription seems more suitable for MMO, while monopoly of server offering...... I dont know, what else publisher aside from EA adopts this business model?

I was thinking a similar idea would be great for the new Planetside game. Say two hours a week free and $1 an hour after that. All the benefits of F2P, free entry for new players and a constant stream of newcomers, but without any of the balance problems of "premium" content.

Of course APB did try that and we all know how well that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    I was thinking a similar idea would be great for the new Planetside game. Say two hours a week free and $1 an hour after that. All the benefits of F2P, free entry for new players and a constant stream of newcomers, but without any of the balance problems of "premium" content.
    From what I gather about Planetside 2, the store will work in a similar way to Tribes: Ascend or World of Tanks. That is to say, everything with an effect on gameplay (weapons, wargear etc) is unlockable for 'free' players given enough time/xp invested, and paying players are able to sidestep this by purchasing 'gold' with which to acquire them instantly. There are also non-gameplay affecting skins, graphical changes and such that are purchaseable purely with gold and have no effect on gameplay other than the player in question looking awesome. I cant see anything wrong with this business model at all.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com