Obscure Node

Thanks, RPS Readers!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks to everybody who got involved with, and answered my questions in my long-running 'Bloomin' Graphics Cards' thread.

It was a very difficult decision to pick out a decent modern machine with reasonable specs; but thanks to the site's readership and active forum community - a lot of my questions about CPUs and GFX cards were answered, and there were a whole number of helpful suggestions offered about saving money and making wise component choices.

I'm happy to report that off of the back of these suggestions, I was finally able to settle on a machine that fit my budget and still managed to tick all the boxes I wanted to.

In a nutshell, I went with:

- CoolerMaster Elite 310 Blue Case
    - Intel® Core™i5-2400 Quad Core (3.10GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
    - ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
    - 16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
    - 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
    - 500GB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
    - 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

I got a really decent price for it, but I'm sure I could've saved a lot by buying individual components.

I just want to say a HUGE thank you to everybody that helped me make the right buying choices. It's nice when a community can assist in a way that doesn't involve posting memes and making inane, useless babble!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Hello again,

Next time you might want to either post in the existing thread, or start the thread in the Tech-support subforum.

Now we have two tech threads in the gaming section - Hnnnnnngggg. ;)

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Next time you might want to either post in the existing thread, or start the thread in the Tech-support subforum.
    Can you give me a chance to defend myself here?

I haven't forgotten about the initial request that my OP about the upgrade should have been made in the tech forum, but even after that observation was made, the thread remained active within this subforum, and was updated regularly from people offering suggestions and advice.

Posting in the tech forum would have been futile for two reasons. First, I assumed that those people who replied to my thread in this subforum wouldn't necessarily visit the tech side, and thus wouldn't see the praise I wanted to lavish for their efforts. Secondly, seeing as this post itself isn't directly seeking tech support, but more praising the RPS community - it isn't necessarily valid for the tech forum either.

I respect your opinion, but I would've expected perhaps something a little more appreciative for the tone of my post rather than just holding the book up at me.

Thanks for your input in any case.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    What's the damage?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by pixelprime View Post
    Can you give me a chance to defend myself here?
    Sorry if I came off as rude! The last forum I browsed regularly before RPS had a serious 'don't post in the wrong subforum' rule, and I guess it's rubbed off on me after several years of watching it happen. Things get cluttered after a while.

Here, have a picture of a bread car as an apology. bread_car_450x317.jpg

Obscure Node

Last edited by HlydeDaue; 23-03-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Obscure Node
    Bread Car wins. Thanks for your understanding :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Here, have a picture of a bread car as an apology. bread_car_450x317.jpg
    Now that's a quick bite.

Obscure Node
    Sorry Fumarole, missed your post! Damage was £720 in the end. I added £50 for an expedited build & dispatch though. Impatience :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Similiar build I went with a couple months back. Will be a happy camper.

Next step for me is to upgrade my HDD to SATA IIIs. Love having an SSD in my recent upgrade.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Similiar build I went with a couple months back. Will be a happy camper.

Next step for me is to upgrade my HDD to SATA IIIs. Love having an SSD in my recent upgrade.
    There's no point using SATA III for a mechanical HDD, they don't even come close to saturating the bandwidth available on SATA II, the only benefit is slighly faster transfer from the cache, but that really gives little practical benefit.

Think of it like putting a firehose on a regular garden tap - there's just no point as it doesn't create enough water pressure to warrant it.

Network Hub
    @Mistabashi: That's pretty much what I said in my too-late reply to pixelprime's original thread. The difference between the two types of drives can be seen in this video, with the important part starting at 1:15. The video has commenting disabled and he doesn't mention what kind of connection his HDD has, so I sent him a message and he told me they're both using SATA 3Gbps (commonly called SATA 2, though that's not technically correct). It's too bad I was too late to the suggestion party, but I totally missed the thread for it being in the wrong section. (Not trying to beat a dead horse, just sayin'.) 8-P

@Moraven: I don't know exactly how prices compared when you got your new build, but I'm guessing the price difference between SATA 3Gbps and 6Gbps SSDs two months ago was pretty close to the price difference now. I was lucky enough to pick up a 64GB SATA 6Gbs Corsair M4 for less than a 64GB SATA 3Gbps OCZ Agility 3 SSD at Newegg, but I think it was on sale. Similar drives weren't a lot more than what I got though, so I'm guessing you'd have been better off to have bought a 6Gbps SSD back then. Being the latest and greatest in consumer storage tech, you're going to be paying a premium down the road when you could have paid a small difference two months ago. Of course, if you wait long enough, you'll be able to pay less for a larger 6Gbps SSD, but that could be a looong wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by vecordae
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.
    Simply a brilliant signature, so I'm stealing it like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Yoink!

It's nice when a community can assist in a way that doesn't involve posting memes and making inane, useless babble!
    I used to post memes and make inane comment, but then I took an arrow to the knee.