Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Replacing a Radeon 5850

It's an awesome card, my Radeon 5850, but the fan is dying. I'm going to try and fix it, but am wondering if it's worth an upgrade? Anything sub-£200, preferably closer to £150 that'll show any noticeable difference? NVidia is fine, not married to ATi

RPS did an article on this recently...Hard Choices: Graphics Cards | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

msi 560ti twin frozen. the 560ti is the modern day 8800GTX. It's a brilliant mid/higher end card
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    really the only card to recommend at that price point is the 560ti.

The performance gap isn´t that big though. Granted the 560 has CUDA and PhysX going for it, plus Nvidia seem to have better drivers. I have a 5850 myself, and personally haven´t had problems with it yet. So maybe you should save the money and just buy a 3rd party cooler and wait for a new gen of gpu, which shouldn´t be too far off.. Plus summers not to far away, and how much gameing are you going to do then?

You can read some pros and cons here on replacing the card:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338944

As for coolers, I was thinking of replacing my cooler with this one:
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail/ind...sCategory/2182

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, supposedly the performance difference is pretty small - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html
    So I think you'd be better off dropping £20 on a decent 3rd party cooler (that you could move on to your next card as well) rather than spending much more on a barely better card.

Radeon 7870 and 7850 were released today. I expect their prices will go down in a week or two but they are out now. The 7870 looks pretty sweet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Isn't Nvidia dropping a new card in like, a week?

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Isn't Nvidia dropping a new card in like, a week?
    Supposedly, or soon at-least, but as far as I know they´ll be dropping the 680 which should be the single GPU flagship of their line, so it probably wouldn't fit the budget. I think the Nvidia mid-level GPU´s are coming later this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well I managed to squeeze some more life out of the 5850 by WD-40ing the fan, so will hang on to it for now. Maybe later in the year there'll be a decent upgrade. Thanks all.

I heard TSMC, who makes the chips, had to completely stop production for a while recently. This pushed Nvidia's Kepler launch back by at least a week. They are coming though.

The GTX 680 seems to be a pretty mean machine:

Tweaktown review Nvidia GTX680 2GB

It's pretty much going head to head with the 6990, which is essentially a dualgpu/single card solution, plus the power consumption is on par with the 7970 or the last gen 570, which is pretty impressive. So maybe, when the GTX 670/660 hit sometime later, i´ll cave and replace my 5850.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You can get the 78xx now for $250 - $350. I am sure the nVidia ones will be comparable to price/performance.

Expect the high end 7970 to drop $50 and possibly the 7950 due to comparable performance to the GTX 680.

I am a happy owner of a 7950 Direct CU II.

Competition is always good for the consumer, good to see that Nvidia seem to be back on top of their game.

AMD cards will drop in price probably in response, and when the mid level cards, and the GF110 series of Nividia come out later this year, prices will drop even more.

Anandtech does a much, much better review than Tweaktown. Night and day difference. Always go to Anandtech first.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...x-680-review/1

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Anandtech does a much, much better review than Tweaktown. Night and day difference. Always go to Anandtech first.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...x-680-review/1
    I just went with Tweaktown because it was one of the first ones out. Doesn't change much, it still looks like a beast of a card with good power consumption, heat and noise levels.