Obscure Node

Soundtrack preview (Spare time game project)

Hey!

I'm not actually sure is it even "ok" to post this kind of stuff here, but could not find any other place to get decent feedback of this.

So we are building a game during our spare time and we just released one music track, which will be in-game at some point.

There are two questions which I'd like to bring forth:

- What you think of the track? (remember, it's game music. The song will play in the background while you play. The game is adventure based)
    - What you think of the idea, to release soundtrack before the game has been released? The idea is to release one track every week or so. This video always includes a new concept image.

So, here is the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC-qlesLbP8

Peace,
    - Kossad

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I am no game designer but i liked it. What kind of settings will game have,can't quite judge by the background in video.

Obscure Node
    I think that you don't need to be a "game designer" or a developer in anyway to say your opinion of that music / concept image. :) Thanks!

The game will be a 2.5D Adventure game. Similar to Machinarium and Samorost. But like always, we will bring some new twists into gameplay and especially to story.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    The concept image is a bit dark. Couldn't really infer much about what the theme was - looked a bit post-apocalyptic and a bit fantasy. Pretty picture though.
    The music was great. 10/10, would (edit: did) listen again.

Regarding your original post - it's totally ok to post this stuff here. We love to read about what's going on. It's when people drop in saying "oh look at this great game I just found, you should play it", with a link to what is obviously their game, that makes us angry.
    I like the idea of releasing music from the game beforehand - music is a huge part of gaming for me, and it sometimes feels like not enough attention is paid to it, unless there's a big-name composer on board.
    Last edited by westyfield; 10-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Obscure Node
    Sounds great to me. Good job

Obscure Node
    Hey!

Thanks guys! Nice to hear that you've liked it.

westyfield: Thanks for the information mate! I think that I'll be posting the soundtrack preview news here in the future. About the darkness of that image, we tried everything to make it look good on every screen, but unfortunately it looks like that it just does not look good on some screens. :/

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I like the music, but I have to hear it ingame to be able to fully judge how it effects the atmosphere and gameplay.

Sounds great, would add some variation to the three steamish notes that play throughout the song. Unless it's a steampunk game.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Obscure Node
    NecroKnight: That is absolutely true. It's still hard to say how good does it fit into the gameplay. Maybe we have to do some modifications into that song, once the game is playable.

jnx: We could try that! But like I said, we better wait until the game is playable, then we can say how good does it fit. :)

Thanks from the feedback!

The forum spam is becoming increasingly insidious. RPS should deputize some regulars to suppress this trash (specifically "steve" and not the OP, though there are enough random gamedev topics around to suggest a subforum).

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The forum spam is becoming increasingly insidious. RPS should deputize some regulars to suppress this trash (specifically "steve" and not the OP, though there are enough random gamedev topics around to suggest a subforum).
    You're referring to the spambot that posted here earlier, right? It's since been deleted so this may not make sense to people who didn't see it. Best thing is to report them, unless we get some proper moderators.

It's a rather good track, yes. I personally wouldn't really think there's much sense to release the soundtrack before the game because most people will become interested in the soundtrack after playing the game rather than the other way around; previews and new tracks with new game videos are a separate matter obviously.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.