Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Apparently "From Ashes" IS ON-disk DLC. (Mass Effect 3 Day 1 DLC)

http://crystalprisonzone.blogspot.co...developed.html

Some enterprising people looked through the game files on the disk to discover that the files for the character and interactions exclusive to the Day-1 DLC of ME3 are actually contained on the disk.

So turns out that Bioware were being untruthful, or at least manipulative when they defended this DLC by saying
    “It takes about 3 months from “content complete” to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs, in that time we work on DLC.”

Can we get the Hivemind to cover this to raise awareness?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    And? BioWare has often left files for content in games (same-sex voice files come to mind). They could be there because they were developed before From Ashes, and were put in there for compatibility reasons but also to facilitate the distribution of content to the end user.

So some of the files necessary for the DLC were included on the disc? But not all of them? Maybe they just developed some of the files before the main game was 'complete', and so chucked them in. If the DLC was 'cut content' then why wasn't it all on the disc? I'm not seeing any untruths or manipulation from that quote in this situation... they didn't say they work on DLC only after the game was complete, they could have been working on it before, and then continued working on it after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    No it isn't.

On Origin it's a separate download of around 1 gig and on xbox 360 it was a 700 meg download after putting in the supplied key.

Go back to playing games instead of bitching about one you clearly don't care for.

In lots of games there are remnants of cut code and allusions to things that didn't make it into the final game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    People still use discs?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    In lots of games there are remnants of cut code and allusions to things that didn't make it into the final game.
    This. It's very common. Gonna' need a little more info to go on.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    It is all on disc for PC, I can confirm. All the DLC patches do is modify your exe file to unlock them.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    It is all on disc for PC, I can confirm. All the DLC patches do is modify your exe file to unlock them.
    Why did Origin make me download such a significant amount of data if that was true? The DLC patches don't just apply the unlock code, clearly it was downloading additional data. Also if all of the files included on the game's discs are shown in that article, it amounts to, what, less than 5MB or something? Unless there's some great compression going on there, that's not enough to cover the content. In this case it looks more like preliminary support for the character rather than a clear indication that it was ready prior to the RTM version getting pressed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Something worth noting: the review copies didn't have the Day-One DLC. Nor access to MP for that matter. Bioware were content enough with the experience they'd created without the DLC or MP to send it off for review, in an industry where reviews are often make-or-break.

That, to me, satisfies me that that they're content on the game being complete "as-is" more than any arguments over conspiracies or authorial intent. This goes double if the DLC is on the disc, as that means there's no reason not to provide it to reviewers other than choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Clearly, we should defer to Bioware's better judgement.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i know the reloaded version just has a dlc unlocker for the release. no additional data for the dlc, indicating that all the data is in the original download.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Why did Origin make me download such a significant amount of data if that was true? The DLC patches don't just apply the unlock code, clearly it was downloading additional data. Also if all of the files included on the game's discs are shown in that article, it amounts to, what, less than 5MB or something? Unless there's some great compression going on there, that's not enough to cover the content. In this case it looks more like preliminary support for the character rather than a clear indication that it was ready prior to the RTM version getting pressed.
    Errr, because BioWare knows exactly what they're doing when they want to take your cash?

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Errr, because BioWare knows exactly what they're doing when they want to take your cash?
    Reading this sarcastically, double-sarcastically, and straight, my answer is pretty much still the same: People hear what they want to hear.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Reading this sarcastically, double-sarcastically, and straight, my answer is pretty much still the same: People hear what they want to hear.
    Et tu, Brute?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    i know the reloaded version just has a dlc unlocker for the release. no additional data for the dlc, indicating that all the data is in the original download.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Err, sticking the DLC on the disc is a sensible method of saving you bandwidth. Sticking the DLC in the Origin download is pointless. It makes perfect sense for it to be on the disc and not on the Origin download.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Err, sticking the DLC on the disc is a sensible method of saving you bandwidth. Sticking the DLC in the Origin download is pointless. It makes perfect sense for it to be on the disc and not on the Origin download.
    The argument about it being on the disc was that it was ready before the masters were made and thus was ready in time to be added to the game proper. This argument, of course, relies on the idea that everything made prior to release should be in the game proper, and is in contrast to the argument that BioWare used the time spend doing things like mastering and distribution to develop its first DLC.

I'm not all hip to this particular mode of thinking, as I know that everything must go through a testing period and feature bloat tends to indefinitely delay releases (and as such I'm inclined to believe that some director somewhere put a hard deadline, after which everything else would be released after the fact, and so in BioWare's collective hivemind From Ashes was something separate from the whole) but opinions may vary.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I get the arguments, just pointing out I think it's perfectly feasible that people with the discs will have it on already and just need an unlock, while people buying on Origin will have to download it separately. Origin doesn't just send you a disc image, if we're going to discuss what's on the disc, the experience of those what bought it digitally aren't relevant.

I get the arguments, just pointing out I think it's perfectly feasible that people with the discs will have it on already and just need an unlock, while people buying on Origin will have to download it separately. Origin doesn't just send you a disc image, if we're going to discuss what's on the disc, the experience of those what bought it digitally aren't relevant.
    Personally, I chalk it up to that same sort of integral misunderstanding as to the nature of ownership in the digital realm, and the presence of a physical CD doesn't change that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Personally, I chalk it up to that same sort of integral misunderstanding as to the nature of ownership in the digital realm, and the presence of a physical CD doesn't change that.
    The thing is, to me it feels wrong. But if I think about it I decide those feelings are silly.
    Here's a curio: http://amr.abime.net/issue_142_coverdisks - click the 4th disc for a closer look.

Yep, Amiga Action ran a coverdisk with a full copy of The Blues Brothers on, that you couldn't play without donating money to get a code. EVEN THOUGH YOU ALREADY PAID FOR THE MAGAZINE.

The thing is, to me it feels wrong. But if I think about it I decide those feelings are silly.
    Here's a curio: http://amr.abime.net/issue_142_coverdisks - click the 4th disc for a closer look.

Yep, Amiga Action ran a coverdisk with a full copy of The Blues Brothers on, that you couldn't play without donating money to get a code. EVEN THOUGH YOU ALREADY PAID FOR THE MAGAZINE.
    Okay...?

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl