Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Considering that people debated if Monday night combat was going to be in the "Fast online team FPS" a few bundles back and it ended up being Dino D-Day I will reserve my thoughts to myself to stop the curse.
    LOL, you might very well be right! The name of Twin Sector has been thrown around. After some hands-on time with the demos, here are my thoughts. Hard Reset has great art style but under all the eyecandy it reminds me of things like doom and quake, which I didn't happen to like back in the day, much less today. Jolly Rover is a pretty competent pointer-and-clicker thing, even though the graphics are pretty bland, the animation nothing to write home about, and the humor, well let's say not my cup of tea? I could see myself playing this game although at the end of the demo (which as a matter of fact is rather long, hat off to the devs), there's plenty of free PnC out there I could play instead. Vertex Dispenser looks like an original game but it makes my head spin, nothing personal.

I didn't try Achron, although the RPS WIT reminded me of the temporal fugue skill (good ole Zelazny!), and DLC quest because well, there's no PC demo of it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Achron... My patience has been fruitful.

I kinda liked the Vertex Dispenser demo, but not enough to buy it.
    Last edited by sabrage; 13-03-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Network Hub
    So do you actually get something or save an appreciable amount for preordering?

I'm seriously cutting back on game purchases until backlog cleared + don't like to buy anything unseen out of general principle, especially not out of "yay indie" principle.

I'm super-interested in Achron, even if they apparently didn't get it quite right. (Just realised there is a demo, so if nothing else, I can thank the bundle for that.)

I thought Jolly Rover was fairly cute, but I lost interest after not all that long. Based on the chunk I played, what you see is pretty much what you get -- a cute, fairly straightforward, modern-old-fashioned adventure game.

I have vague memories of trying the Hard Reset demo and giving up on it immediately, which suggests it either ran badly on my machine, or is fucked up in one of the ways I can't stand (laggy mouse, or locked narrow FOV or something). Don't take my word for this though -- even if my memory is right, it might have just had performance issues on my PC.

I'll give the Vertex Dispenser demo a go too, no idea what to expect there.
    Last edited by MD!; 13-03-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Activated Node
    I'll pick this up if it is Hard Reset but I'm sure it was going to be getting a retail release soon so I'd be surprised if they're including it in a bundle at the same time.

I quite enjoyed Jolly Rover, it doesn't really hit the highs of a classic PnC game but it's reasonably amusing and doesn't outstay it's welcome. Hasn't it already been in a bundle though? I can't think how else I ended up with it if it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Roarster View Post
    I'll pick this up if it is Hard Reset but I'm sure it was going to be getting a retail release soon so I'd be surprised if they're including it in a bundle at the same time.

I quite enjoyed Jolly Rover, it doesn't really hit the highs of a classic PnC game but it's reasonably amusing and doesn't outstay it's welcome. Hasn't it already been in a bundle though? I can't think how else I ended up with it if it hasn't.
    I'm not sure why I have it either, but I think it might have been extremely cheap on Steam at some point.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    I'm not sure why I have it either, but I think it might have been extremely cheap on Steam at some point.
    Pretty sure I wouldn't have bought it by itself - I wonder if it was maybe in some sort of Steam bundle (perhaps the Portal 2 potato one?) and I got it that way. If that's the case then it probably doesn't count as a having been in a bundle so it might well be included in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    So do you actually get something or save an appreciable amount for preordering?
    A free music album in mp3 format, as I said. Also, unless you are in front of the screen the very minute it goes live, preordering is likely the lowest possible price you can pay. Of course this is balanced out by a non-negligible chance that some or most of the guesses are wrong (I wouldn't put money on Achron being in it) and you may end up with something you don't give a damn about.

Given the peculiar price changing mechanism of Indieroyale, you could be able to snatch a better deal, but to do so, you need to get in the wake of a single very generous buyer or a streak of several generous ones. That used to happen in the first few bundles, but as of lately, it has become a rare occurrence AFAICT.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Pretty sure I wouldn't have bought it by itself - I wonder if it was maybe in some sort of Steam bundle (perhaps the Portal 2 potato one?) and I got it that way. If that's the case then it probably doesn't count as a having been in a bundle so it might well be included in this one.
    Think it was in an adventure indie pack about a year or so back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Jolly Rover was in a Steam Indie Bundle - either one of their sale ones or one of those occasional bundles they throw together. It's not been in the Humble/Gala/Royale bundles AFAIK

Hard Reset was supercheap on Steam at Xmas and it's EXCELLENT if you like old-school FPSs - but despite it being my guess over on IndieGamer, I suspect it's not the game they're talking about...

Vertex Dispenser is very very clever but I felt (from the demo alone) that it was trying to be too clever AND too arcadey at the same time - I couldn't really balance those in a way which felt satisfying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Hard Reset was supercheap on Steam at Xmas and it's EXCELLENT if you like old-school FPSs - but despite it being my guess over on IndieGamer, I suspect it's not the game they're talking about...
    At this point I'm hoping they will surprise me. In a good way.

Last IndieRoyale is live. Lineup is confirmed: Hard Reset, Jolly Rover, Vertex Dispenser, DLC Quest and Land of the Evildoer. Sorry, no Achron.

Activated Node
    Well true to my word I've picked this up. I've no idea what it is about these bundles that makes me pay up. I probably wouldn't pay 5 for Hard Reset on a Steam sale yet I've just spent it and it's the only game I'm actually interested in.

I've no idea what it is about these bundles that makes me pay up.
    Eh. After buying BeMine I looked myself in the mirror and told myself: "you've got to stop this". I've still got most my BeMine keys unredeemed.

Anyway they've thrown in a couple other small bonuses

http://mightyvision.blogspot.com/201...ix-vortex.html

PS: this time I'm not going to buy any of the 3 current bundles.
    Last edited by alms; 15-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Eh, grabbed it for a cheap Hard Reset. Jolly Rover seems like something that could be enjoyable too, could always do with a click n point adventure. Not too bothered about the rest.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Time to give the Hard Reset demo another go, work out why I dumped it in the first place.

Activated Node
    I'm generally a big fan of games that satirize games (eg, Progress Quest and The Linear RPG), so I quite like the idea of DLC Quest, and I'll actually play it rather than leaving it collecting dust in my Steam library. Yeah, why not.

Seeing as I was kindly gifted Hard Reset by Valve over the Christmas Achievement Hunt, I have no reason to buy this.
    Jolly Rover looks like another adventure game that will just not be my thing, and I definitely don't need more adventure games.
    Vertex Dispenser is in the same boat.
    DLC Quest looks like it could be worth a chuckle, but doesn't seem to do anything better than free alternatives, say Achievement Unlocked.
    Same with Lair of the Evildoer, the script isn't as funny as it's trying to be, and in the gameplay department you'd be better served by something like Shoot First, which is free and more featured.

I get the general feeling that this bubble is bursting soon, and that the quality of the Indie Royale in general has been rapidly dropping.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by siegarettes View Post
    I get the general feeling that this bubble is bursting soon, and that the quality of the Indie Royale in general has been rapidly dropping.
    Despite the fact that the Alpha Bundle was one of the best ones. o.O

Last day to get St Patrick's bundle.