Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

pay2win: Mass Effect 3's Ending Tied to Forced Multiplayer Participation

I know, another bleeding ME3 thread, but this one is different ;-)

If you want a happy ending in ME3, ya have to play multiplayer (apparently), oh and you can buy items in multiplayer to be a better player. http://gamepolitics.com/2012/03/06/m...-participation

It’s all rather… dirty. Presumably they’re trying to encourage you to try the multiplayer because to do well in it, you have to buy or earn unlockable items, and you can get these for real money. But they’re doing it by hurting your single player game, slapping a good playthrough with a bad ending as a penalty for not playing co-op. Even if you like co-op, it’s not unreasonable to want to play through the single player first."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    This is how it works. The game assumes, if you do not touch multiplayer, that you have a galactic readiness of 50%. Now galactic readiness is how prepared the galaxy is for facing the reapers. HOWEVER, galactic readiness by itself DOES NOTHING.

What galactic readiness ACTUALLY does gameplay wise, is determine how useful your war assets are once you obtain them.

What you actually need to beat the game are war assets. Galactic readiness only modifies how much war assets are worth. Still following me?

Here is an example. War assets are worth a certain amount of points. In this random example, lets say we save a human fleet. Lets say that human fleet is worth 1000 points. Well this is where galactic readiness comes in. The game starts with 50% war readiness, and it stays that way if you don't touch multiplayer.

So we take the asset, which is 1000 points, and multiply it by the war readiness. (50% which =0.5)

So 1000 x 0.5 = 500.

As such the war asset, since the galaxy is only 50% ready, cuts the worth of the asset in half. So the 1000 point.

YOU CAN BEAT THE GAME WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING MULTIPLAYER.

The only thing multiplayer does, is improve how many points war assets are earned. So lets say we play multiplayer and bump the readiness up to 75%...

1000 x .75 = 750

See?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Not to mention that Bioware have stated multiple times that you can get the best possible result without ever having touched multiplayer.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Not to mention that Bioware have stated multiple times that you can get the best possible result without ever having touched multiplayer.
    You sure can, and your punishment for not playing EA's microtransaction-riddled MP mode (or buying their iPhone game) is to spend hours performing an activity that's designed to be incredibly tedious!

No worries though, I'm sure some DLC will be along sooner or later that lets you buy your way around the problem by providing not-deliberately-horrible SP content that gets the job done. If we're lucky, it might even cost less than $20. I'll be waiting for that, and a nice steep price drop, if I don't just lose interest altogether.
    Last edited by vinraith; 07-03-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    You sure can, and your punishment for not playing EA's microtransaction-riddled MP mode is to spend hours performing an activity that's designed to be incredibly tedious!

No worries though, I'm sure some DLC will be along sooner or later that lets you buy your way around the problem by providing not-deliberately-horrible SP content that gets the job done. If we're lucky, it might even cost less than $20. I'll be waiting for that, and a nice steep price drop, if I don't just lose interest altogether.
    Are you playing the game, Vinraith?

Because I am, and nothing I've found thus far is tedious.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Are you playing the game, Vinraith?

That statement is completely meaningless until you've completed the game with a full war assets bar (or a bar as full as you can get it without tedium). When you do, by all means get back to me. Until then, I'll take the word of people that have.

Hearing what I'm hearing, I have no intention of picking up the game any time soon (if ever).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/06/ma...s-your-ending/
    Last edited by vinraith; 07-03-2012 at 04:34 AM.

That statement is completely meaningless until you've completed the game with a full war assets bar (or a bar as full as you can get it without tedium). When you do, by all means get back to me. Until then, I'll take the word of people that have.

Hearing what I'm hearing, I have no intention of picking up the game any time soon (if ever).
    "Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

"Who are you going to believe? <snip>
    Tom Francis, clearly. I really would like to hear your take on all this when you've actually finished the game, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Indeed, most of the assets I've found thus far are part of sidequests. In fact, looks like they're going for a sidequest or multiplayer approach.

You can't blame people for being cautious because the side quests in ME1 especially, and ME2 were complete filler content. I mean some sidequests in ME1 have locations with completely empty rooms. I'm still looking forward to the game, I just hope it's possible to play to a satisfactory conclusion without feeling like you have to grind. If the sidequests are actually interesting in ME3 then I'm sure I'll have no problem working to get as many 'war assets' as I can, but that would be going against the series so far: great main story, crappy sidestuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    You can't blame people for being cautious because the side quests in ME1 especially, and ME2 were complete filler content.
    But didn't people end up complaining about the side quests that were off the beaten path in ME2, namely that there weren't enough of them?

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    But didn't people end up complaining about the side quests that were off the beaten path in ME2, namely that there weren't enough of them?
    Lesson one of the internet: People complain.

And 17 hours in, it's been wall-to-wall badass and heartrending moments.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Lesson one of the internet: People complain.

And 17 hours in, it's been wall-to-wall badass and heartrending moments.
    Awesome. Looking forward to Friday (fingers crossed the game turns up on time).

Also great explanation post by woundedbum. It seems to me that it's all a bit akin to the loyalty missions but extended to other factors. However they've introduce a mechanic where in it's possible to shortcut doing all the RPG stuff if that's not for you (for those who just want to play the game as combat) by playing in co-op mode. Seems like a mechanic put in to cater towards the 'I want combat' types rather than those wanting to do the RPG & story modes.

Generally the way I've played the ME games is to clear off any outlying side quests as and when they've come up Vs concentrating on pushing the main storyline and that's tended to alleviate any sense of tedium I've found. It also meant I was ready to roll in to the omega 4 relay in ME2 straight away when things went bad (which was advantageous). I suspect adopting that approach in ME3 will likely be as beneficial.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Are people so smug to need to petition for ultimate victory? Maybe the horribly close victory us more appropriate?

I'll never know, played the multiplayer for an hour yesterday and added 9 points to all systems readiness.

I hadn't even imported my character at the time :p
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You sure can, and your punishment for not playing EA's microtransaction-riddled MP mode (or buying their iPhone game) is to spend hours performing an activity that's designed to be incredibly tedious!
    No surprise is it? Bioware pulled the same shit in the first two games, making you do horribly tedious sub-quests if you wanted 100% completion, clearly trying to force you into playing the multi-player instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Are people so smug to need to petition for ultimate victory? Maybe the horribly close victory us more appropriate?
    I think it's more that people think you have to play the multi-player to achieve the best result (and naturally all RPG types are misanthropes). Where as it seems you don't. Still why let the facts get in the way of some sensationalist (and click beneficial) reporting on the matter.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    No surprise is it? Bioware pulled the same shit in the first two games, making you do horribly tedious sub-quests if you wanted 100% completion, clearly trying to force you into playing the multi-player instead.
    You didn't actually need to scan planets except to find missions if you didn't desperately hunger after every research upgrade and had imported an obscenely rich ME1 shep.

And yes, 100% ME1 requisited you driving about barren rocks looking for rocks. But it didn't have any plot influence.

People are their own worst enemy sometimes.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Banned
    I'm waiting for someone to unequivocally say "I did 0 multiplayer and got the best ending". Until then, you're just blowing hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The proof is in the pudding as they say. Personally I don't think the sun shines out of Tom Francis's arse (or anyone else at PCGamer for that matter).

Probable Replicant

EA's microtransaction-riddled MP mode
    Microtransactions which are completely unnecessary unless you're of the "give me everything right now" mentality. The booster packs can also be bought with currency gained by playing the MP, and the game throws that currency at you so much that I really can't see why anyone would ever need to resort to using real money to buy the packs.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.