Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

One More Japanese Game Industrialist To Throw In White Towel: Konami

This explains why Silent Hill was dropped, although Konami's boss still denied so as expected.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-14-konami

No more lie Konami. If you not gonna make mobile titles only , why drop a project with as great potential as Silent Hill?!

So this has been an irreversible trend. Japanese game houses, one by one, switch to easy money of mobile. We PC gamers can kiss them goodbye.

Yes I am saying Konami will make mobile ONLY, not just first priority. I am in no mood to play your stupid game of word.

No wonder why Kojima and Konami parted company.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Honestly, it's probably for the best. If people want to join the mobile games industry they'll either bleed talented personnel into the indie scene, or who knows maybe make a brilliant mobile game, afterall, the best Metal Gear game was the Gameboy Colour one. The 'post campaign' content was magnificent for all kinds of play session length.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear:_Ghost_Babel
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 16-05-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've had Ghost Babel on my old GBC, but after few months it wasn't able to save game (probably because of dead battery or something). :(

Brilliant mobile game by huge dev company.
    Ehehehehe heheheh hehehehe heheh

Network Hub
    Guys like Super Bunnyhop have been covering this for a while.

In addition to their increased focus on mobile, Konami is gambling that Japan will legalize gambling. A good chunk of Konami's business is in gambling machines and pachinko.

Perhaps the best thing to come out of this is YouTube actually stepping up and reinstating a Super Bunnyhop video that they had taken down because YouTube decided that Konami hadn't actually given a good enough reason to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    In addition to their increased focus on mobile, Konami is gambling that Japan will legalize gambling. A good chunk of Konami's business is in gambling machines and pachinko.
    And let's be honest: developing addicting games in which people never win, only ever lose slowly does not require a lot of talent. Enough about F2P mobile games, though. Bah dum tisssh.

For serial, though, Konami hasn't produced anything of quality for quite some time. Best they've done is publish a few decent games on the PC. Those developers will find other, probably better, publishers. I don't really care that Konami has switched to mobile. Talk to me as a kid just finishing TMNT: Turtles in Time, and I'd be singing a different tune. Now there are a hundred developers, both indie and AAA, both PC and console, whose games I'd rather be playing at any given moment.
    ~

Actually, my key point is not "Knomai threw in white towel", but "one more Japanese game industrialist threw in white towel".

It's not just a few large Japanese game developers losing their competitiveness. The whole Japanese video game industry simply is irreversibly declining. One Mr. Kojima is not enough to salvage it.

Turning to mobile platform is essentially returning to old days of making games as simple as Faicom titles when games have to be simple and naive as bound by poor computing power of the hardware. I hate to break it out but Japanese game industry has been done for.

Network Hub
    To be honest, Japanese developers always seem to make weird design choices and especially business choices, if you look at it from a western perspective. I'm happy to give them money for good games, but they often just focus on consoles and then are baffled when Dark Souls on the PC makes them a boatload of money. Only to put what basically is Dark Souls 3 out on consoles only again.

I'm not really surprised if they make what appear to be dumb decisions, and although still annoying, I've given up getting too annoyed at it. Just like I often laugh at the terrible names their games have. "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy". I can only interpret this as that they do not give enough of a shit about the western market to spend 5 minutes talking with the translator to think of a decent name in English.

Wat.

Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    . "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy". I can only interpret this as that they do not give enough of a shit about the western market to spend 5 minutes talking with the translator to think of a decent name in English.
    Default: Rise of the Brave

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Actually, my key point is not "Knomai threw in white towel", but "one more Japanese game industrialist threw in white towel".
    Squirrel making commentary on a foreign country (America/Japan mostly) ? I better mark this one in my diary.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    To be honest, Japanese developers always seem to make weird design choices and especially business choices, if you look at it from a western perspective. I'm happy to give them money for good games, but they often just focus on consoles and then are baffled when Dark Souls on the PC makes them a boatload of money. Only to put what basically is Dark Souls 3 out on consoles only again.
    It isn't an Eastern/Western thing. It is a gamer/non-gamer thing.

From a video gamer standpoint, Konami has been stupid in its handling of Silent Hill, in losing Kojima, in how it burns bridges with everyone it works with. But that is because the video gamer standpoint wants to see more good video games, wants more Metal Gear, wants more Silent Hill, wants more Castlevania, etc.

Konami doesn't have a "video gamer" view. Konami as a company has the view of a company that wants to make money, and doesn't really care about video games beyond how much they cost and how much they make. In Konami's view, arcade and console games are in a decline. You spend large sums of money to make slightly larger sums of money a year or two later, if you are lucky. Mobile games are cheaper to make, make more money, and are on the rise. Konami also has substantial business outside of video games. It is no big deal for them to let their console and arcade presence dwindle, anymore than it is for any multi-focus company to prune underperforming dead wood.

It's so weird...it feels like the designer end of the Japanese video game industry has always been open to some of the biggest, weirdest, and most-loved artistic risks of the entire industry. But their business end is the complete opposite, and is not only very greedy, but extremely paranoid of any ideas coming from outside of Japan.

I don't think I know of any open-source software originating from Japan. That might summarize it pretty well; their cultures are very internal and non-shared; thus I could imagine Nintendo won't even consider the idea of developing one of their massively-loved family games (which now cost a fortune to make in HD) in Unreal Engine to save some costs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That might summarize it pretty well; their cultures are very internal and non-shared; thus I could imagine Nintendo won't even consider the idea of developing one of their massively-loved family games (which now cost a fortune to make in HD) in Unreal Engine to save some costs.
    Uhm, after all that years I'm sure they have their own engines that are capable to do the same thing as UE without having to pay 5% cut to ID Software.

BTW, I want to know who owns Fox Engine now? Probably Konami, which kinda suck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Well at least they offered some ideas of their own throughout their lifespan and didn't just blatantly copy everyone else or counterfeited a whole industry. Like, you know, some other 'industrialists'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

It's not just a few large Japanese game developers losing their competitiveness. The whole Japanese video game industry simply is irreversibly declining. One Mr. Kojima is not enough to salvage it.

Turning to mobile platform is essentially returning to old days of making games as simple as Faicom titles when games have to be simple and naive as bound by poor computing power of the hardware. I hate to break it out but Japanese game industry has been done for.
    What's the better business option here.

Option A) Turn to pumping out cheap mobile games that make a lot of revenue and keep your employees employeed.

Option B) Fire everyone because the game that cost $100,000,000 managed to sell through two million units but that still wasn't enough to make it worth all the time, risk and effort that the publisher wanted.

Video games, are stupidly expensive and risky things to make. MGS V will probably just about make it's money back. And it's taken them what, six or seven years to develop it?

If you think the Western industry is in any better shape, take a look at EAs E3 presentation last year, were they basically showed up with a tonne of alpha footage and artist impressions of what their video games will look like in three to four years.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    What's the better business option here.

Option A) Turn to pumping out cheap mobile games that make a lot of revenue and keep your employees employeed.

Option B) Fire everyone because the game that cost $100,000,000 managed to sell through two million units but that still wasn't enough to make it worth all the time, risk and effort that the publisher wanted.

Video games, are stupidly expensive and risky things to make. MGS V will probably just about make it's money back. And it's taken them what, six or seven years to develop it?

If you think the Western industry is in any better shape, take a look at EAs E3 presentation last year, were they basically showed up with a tonne of alpha footage and artist impressions of what their video games will look like in three to four years.
    If EA goes down, I for sure will go to open a bottle of a hundred year-old champagne to celebrate.

Your options A and B have exactly laid out the whole issue: no one gives a thought about option C: R&D. People just care about Financial Year End performance. This is retarded. Video game industry starts to be lagging behind because people all want to utilize only currently existing technology. Since when people all want to squeeze the last drop of the juice of the achievement by their own made decades ago as if there is no tomorrow? As if they are enjoying the party at the night before the end of the world?

At least Japan's case is not the worst, if one goes down, everyone goes down too because that's just what the environment is about. The worse case can be, a powerful yet evil rent seeker group intentionally hinder all progress of advancement, so that while they don't have to put effort in innovation, no one other will have chance to rise up and challenge them through innovations and inventions of their own. This is what's frequently occurring in East Asia, and I am not sure if this could happen in any part of the west.

Japan's issue is that Japaneses seldom truly respect software development. To them hardware technology is everything, and they truly excel in it. Thing is:
    1. We can run hardware only through software, just like mother has to be woman and father has to be man. You don't make decent software, you are only slaves of software tech power.
    2. You excel in hardware tech, and so do your competitors.

At least there is one competitive edge of Japanese game development: from my own experience as players, Japanese video games are probably the most stable and reliable game software in the world. It's true their games are generally less sophisticated than western games, but, buggy games are buggy games. How can I play a game when the whole input system is not responsive, or like Arma 2, when you encounter the god damn artifact bug in which no texture can be displayed, what the.... At least I never experience something like that with Japanese games.
    Last edited by squirrel; 18-05-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The monetary argument tends not to be the best one when other economics are involved. The company may be bloated, and it may be their game half makes less money than the gambling half. But if our favourite drinks/beer/chocolate company suddenly said it was closing down production because selling AK47s made more profit... we'd still frown on it.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mobile is huge in Japan right now. Dedicated gaming handhelds like the 3DS and Vita outsell consoles. Then mobile games sell even more than them (at likely F2P or less than $5). Their core audience has always been Japan first. Which is odd since companies like Nintendo for instance have more revenue in NA.

Every other big japanese company has mobile titles and a refocus on them, while putting out core games. Konami has been slowly stopped releasing core games and seems to only just started to really invest into mobile, being late to the game. Not sure why they could not exist in both.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    The monetary argument tends not to be the best one when other economics are involved. The company may be bloated, and it may be their game half makes less money than the gambling half. But if our favourite drinks/beer/chocolate company suddenly said it was closing down production because selling AK47s made more profit... we'd still frown on it.
    That's not the same thing at all.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    It isn't an Eastern/Western thing. It is a gamer/non-gamer thing.

From a video gamer standpoint, Konami has been stupid in its handling of Silent Hill, in losing Kojima, in how it burns bridges with everyone it works with. But that is because the video gamer standpoint wants to see more good video games, wants more Metal Gear, wants more Silent Hill, wants more Castlevania, etc.
    I just want to point out Kojima's been trying to quit making MG games since MGS2 was finished. He keeps getting reeled back in because he's felt that his team can't do it properly without him(I assume that NES Metal Gear 2 game is at the core of this fear). He's just sort of finally said fuck it and is leaving so he can finally get on with his life without having Metal Gear in it.