Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

The 2014 Winter "Talk me out of this" Thread

Thinking of buying a game you just saw in the Steam/Humble/GOG/Dodgy Polish CD Key Dealer sale?
    Know in your heart that you shouldn't spend the money? Or that you're just on a path to disillusionment?

Then post the name of the game you are considering here, and one of our friendly locals will convince you not to buy it.

Rules:
    • Be honest in what you say, if not by what you omit.Most games have plenty of things wrong with them without the need to make any up
    • Don't argue in a game's favour with "yes, but that is offset by this and that" there are other threads in which to recomend games. (Correcting factual inaccuracies is OK though)
    • Actually be thinking of buying a game, don't post stuff here just to troll.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The Wolf Among Us for $8.49 - help me please.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Game title spoiling everything.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Rome 2: Total War

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Endless Space, DX: HR, Shadowrun Dragonfall. I want them, but I don`t want them. Especially with Elite threatening to consume my life any second now.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    QTE-fest, it's only -66% discount, will be -75% in near future.

Cosmochoria.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    DX: HR
    I'll handle this one!

HR's biggest crime for me was just how slowly it took for me to feel like I was a cyborg-enhanced human. Upgrades simply make the things you do better, for the most part, such that the game doesn't really change from minute 1 to 100 as to how you go about it. Depending on your play-style, you'll find yourself pretty much locked into either "Shoot everything dead" or "Hidey hidey go 'splorin'". How you upgrade your character and therefore play-style simply becomes an extension of what you've been doing before. Sure, to play it shooty-bang style isn't really how it's 'meant' to be played, but it works fine.

The story doesn't really do too much either. The central personal conflict is neither subtle or smart, it's very much left up to the person playing to decide if there's a story there at all. The progression of the overall story has its moments of variety and spice, but all the while still feels sort of dry before the ending just falls flat on its face. Mostly redundant boss fights punctuate the action periodically in ways that are more frustrating than enjoyable, but mercifully don't last too long.

At the end of the day, it felt like a stealth game that had a very rich world, but was a little too afraid to really sink its teeth into it. I'd simply recommend Alpha Protocol above it, even knowing how wonky AP is as a game itself.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Endless Space, DX: HR, Shadowrun Dragonfall. I want them, but I don`t want them. Especially with Elite threatening to consume my life any second now.
    Endless Space is drab and soulless. Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a lot that feels like drudgery, and I got bored of it before I finished it.
    Last edited by Thurgret; 26-11-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Any game that I do not have and have interest in. But have a backlog of many, many games that I will likely catch up on.
    I still have games I got on Steam sales that I never installed. Some I might put in 5 hours and never get back to.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    They ruined everything. Those agent cinematics which have been a staple of the series since Shogun released back in 2000? Gone. The family tree which have been around since Medieval Total War back in 2002? Gone. The slow-paced battlefield combat where committing units was a big decision and gave you time to watch the nice little animations? Gone! That 10,000 man fight now lasts five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Cosmochoria.
    two too many nipples.

My2cents on DX:HR.
    Melee is dead, otherwise it's contextual stuff introduced as triggable cutscenes. Because the original deus ex triggers third person view turning dialogues intro cutscenes hence the addition. You can't choose for something like either first or third person view. Your gamestyle, your approach is tied to some feature; you want to stealth hence you look for vents, you want to rambo hence you go in (to take cover not to lose health and spray to the guy approaching you) - none is better than the other and while you'll stealth a lot, even to loot things, there's not much point to do it at times (exp rewards show it). Another lazy thing is energy cells recharge only if not depleted and when they do your energy barr is wasted hence you consume it all or nothing and stick to a single cell (slowing down gameplay).
    It's fucking cool and the most cyberpunk of the series but it's not one of the legendary ones in the genre.
    Also boxes are more worth than your salary hence it's like black mesa turned into a city.
    Last edited by Wenz; 26-11-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Sid Meyer's Pirates

Shadowrun
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    The patches reduced the bugs, sure, but the entire bloody map looks like it's been dusted with flour, all washed-out and desaturated. The political system is both far more involved and far less interesting than the internal politics of your dynasty in Shogun 2 (an impressive feat, since S2 had the merest smidgeon of internal politics). The battles are really repetitive, especially when you're taking town after town, trudging through the same misbegotten gaggle of houses to butcher the same set of peasant militia.

Man. Why the hell did I​ buy it?

Keep in mind all of these deals will be pretty much the same, if not better, in a month, when the winter sale arrives. So unless you actually intend to play the game until the holidays, you end up with dead capital.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Sid Meyer's Pirates
    Its effectivley a series of linked mini(ish) games.

Completeing the core quest basically requires playing the game on a low difficulty, otherwise you'll never be able to amass the forces to win it.

It glosses over a lot of the err Nastiness in being a pirate captain.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Sid Meyer's Pirates
    Sid Meier's Pirates! does not support widescreen, it is not suitable for players who only want to spend short amounts of time playing in a real time version of the classic Sid Meier "one more turn" sense.

Most of the actual value and purpose of Pirates! is the procedural content, so you will never really 100% the game which isn't good for people who want a perfect sign off, if will never really leave your shame pile as you'll never feel like you are completely done.

The wind system is a pest, if you want to go somewhere and the wind says no, and you cant, which while realistic, is irritating.Your own crew isn't loyal to you so you need to constantly chase wealth which pleases the simplified Tamogotchi the crew happiness bar represents, but even so, eventually they will get bored and your plans and intentions wont stop them even if that means they throwing you out the boat.

Never ask me to do this again[Ethics gate, do not pass if you wish to resist purchase], its 1.49 and beautiful FFS[Ethics gate]
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    it should be called THE WOLFAMUNGUS and it will never reach the heights of Walking Dead game season one so it'll always been the ugly sibling sat there in your games list watching you whispering "Why don't you lobe me", you'll try and excuse it, or make out being light hearted somewhat makes TWAU more palatable, but then you'll remember the moments of light in WDGS1 and only be able to console yourself that its not as bad as the Jurassic Park game.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    QTE-fest, it's only -66% discount, will be -75% in near future.
    Foul - everything gets cheaper - tell him it's shit ;0