Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is Battlefield 4 worth buying today?

The title kinda says it all, i've been a big fan of BF ever since BF2, but i skipped the 4th edition since the reviews scared me with horribad netcode, meh gameplay etc... But the itch needs to be scratched, i found out recently while looking at silliness such as Warface (waaaarfaaaaaceeee!) wistfully... I thought to myself, maybe BF4 is the thing to get, since apparently the next installement of the BF saga will be some CoD/CS wonnabe bullshit that there's probably 0 chance i'll even consider touching, so it'll be a loooong wait before the next actual Battlefield comes out...
    So, has the game been patched to a state where it's worth buying it, or is it consoley fail like Titanfall is, with no dedicated servers, shit netcode and horrible menus and stuff?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenus. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    It's far better then it used to be, and I consider it a really good game when considering the pure gameplay.

That being said, stuff like unlocks and the current scoring system aren't that well thought out. I dislike the endless carrot dandling.

Is it similar to BF3 in terms of gameplay? Maps size, destruction, vehicles?
    And most importantly, are there dedicated servers that go to 64 players or is it consoley-CoDey-shitonastick multiplayer?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenus. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Just play Planetside 2 instead. Assuming the new management don`t break it, that is.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Just play Planetside 2 instead. Assuming the new management don`t break it, that is.
    Reinstalled it the other day, played twice, uninstalled it.
    It's a nice game but still quite ugly and too static for my taste. I used to play a ton of it with WASP, but solo it's meh aaand no, i think i am done with PS2 for a while, if not forever.

Reinstalled Blacklight Retribution yesterday, played a couple of games, found it nice but too much like CoD to be of my liking. I guess nothing really comes close to Battlefield, if that's what you are looking for.
    And BF4 is only 16 bucks now, so it's not a big investement, but i wouldn't bother if it's plagued by unresolvable problems, bad servers etc.
    --

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post
    Is it similar to BF3 in terms of gameplay? Maps size, destruction, vehicles?
    And most importantly, are there dedicated servers that go to 64 players or is it consoley-CoDey-shitonastick multiplayer?
    Yeah it's quite similar to BF3 in that regard. It basically plays as an improved BF3. Nothing groundbreaking, but it remains a very good game imo.

so it's probably worth 16 bucks then, i guess? :)

\o/

Does it suffer the 5-dlcs problem of BF3 tho? Cause that was really stupid and it divided the community in small sections of people/servers who have this or that DLC...
    --

Obscure Node
    Screw DICE for not giving us modding tools or editors. Bots aren't there either. Arma 3 is better value.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes! Fantastic game. I recommend the premium version (which includes base game + all the DLC), but even the base game alone is fun as heck. Best shooter of its kind, IMHO (the not-particularly-realistic large-scale modern combat genre).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulstar View Post
    Screw DICE for not giving us modding tools or editors. Bots aren't there either. Arma 3 is better value.
    I'm still waiting for a finished ARMA 3 mode that cribs Battlefield series entirely, because I suck entirely too much at ARMA 3 proper to get much further than waddling around for 5 minutes in Altis Life or getting past the showcases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've played nearly 160 hours (I'm on 159h??m) after preordering the game and buying premium, and I struggle to recommend BF4 to anyone. BC2 is still the best there's been so far. I could go in to a huge, lengthy explanation but the short version is: Don't bother if you don't have friends to play with or if you're not interested in joining a clan (even a casual one) or community full of active players. Don't bother if you think you want to play 64 player games - the maps aren't balanced for it. Don't bother if you don't like Call of Duty-style games because if you're anything like me, after trying and failing to engage in teamplay on modes like conquest or rush, you'll fall back to TDM which is, well, Call of Duty mode.

The way melee kills work is awful and pretty much every time I die to a knife I've been staring the guy right in the eyes and shooting him in the face when it happens - that's supposed to give you the opportunity to counter, but I rarely get the opportunity. Sometimes the game just freezes, doesn't even play the animation and then I'm dead just before I realise it hasn't crashed. Every time I get killed right after firing a shot or a projectile (like a Stinger, RPG, 40mm grenade, hand grenade, etc.) that would definitely get a kill, it mysteriously disappears. There's also a one hit kill bug that still exists in the game - it's different to the one that was in on day one (which was a genuine one hit kill bug, this is just an 'apparent' one hit kill because of a faulty health bar), but it's still fucking annoying.

There's also the grind. You're useless in every role except shooting and dying for the first few hours, that's fine if you just want to be a soldier but if you want to, say, fly a jet or heli you'll be at a distinct disadvantage. Same goes for tanks; you'll face people with reactive armour while you have none, you'll have general purpose rounds while they (assuming they're hunting tanks) will have anti-tank rounds, you'll have smoke that breaks laser locks but they'll have active protection that will destroy at least one incoming shell if timed right... So basically the only way to get tank points early on is to avoid other tanks and basically all vehicles, kill infantry and PTFO.

Oops, that was maybe a bit long after all, but my point is get Bad Company 2 instead.

Edit: and yes, the five DLC thing is in BF4 as well. I suppose the good thing is that barely anyone buys just one DLC, they either get Premium or they don't.

Obscure Node
    Nice game.

Hey neema_t, thanks for the detailed explanation. This doesn't sound too great, to be honest :/
    I do have BC2 and BF3, i guess i might just reinstall one of those and hope there's people on the servers. Shitty thing is i only have 1 DLC for BF3, so finding a server is (was) quite absurd, and i don't feel like paying 10 bucks for a couple of maps, that's just ridiculous robbery.

I am surprised the game has gone this way, BF3 was very good, at least to me. I did have some grind for vehicle upgrades, but that never bothered me that much, maybe it wasn't that bad ?
    I've never played BF with serious people, always been the lone wolf, running around with my HMG and having fun. I should have, this game is probably much more fun when played atleast in a squad with friends, on voice com... Bah, i am so reinstalling BF3 tonight, lol!
    Anyone here playing BF3 or BC2 still, wonna play together sometimes in the late (EU) evenings?
    --

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Buy BF2 install project reality, play the only actively supported Battlefield experience without either the anchor of grind or DLC dividing the community. Additionally, dedicated servers, bots and one of the series nest play modes the asymmetric insurgency.

For reference, playing Hardline looks like it'd be like a boring reheat except for one thing the Hotwire game type. These precious fragile cars are the flags, and only while moving fast do they yield the opponents tickets. It's brilliant as no part of the map is irrelevant. It becomes effectively a high speed stealth game where the flag vehicles try and flee their hunters.

But man... That fucking grind.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I am sorry, but to me Battlefield is about warfare, not police operations and car chases.

As for BF2, it's kind of too old, if i remember correctly it doesn't have the destructability of buildings etc that BC2 and BF3 have, so it'll be hard to switch back to that. It does have the commander role tho, it's something that's been missing for a while and if i am not wrong it came back to BF4, right? I found it very strange that they removed the commander, it was fun and important and a nice game mechanic, don't see a reason to have it removed, but oh well.
    --

To me Battlefield is about.

1: Shooting stuff (which may or may not be able to fight back*)
    2: Map control
    3: Combined arms
    4: The contrast between high mobility vehicles and stealthier infantry movement.

Only 3 is really lacking in hard-line, but yunno what... I'm not even sure why I'm wasting effort convincing you when you use 'too old' and 'wrong setting' as justifications to dismiss something.

Edit : Project Reality mod adds damage able walls and buildings. And it's got draw distances of multiple kilometers and tanks able to honestly engage at those ranges.
    *This is quite unique among fps
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 18-02-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Actually, only BC2 (or BC, which is irrelevant to most of us who game only on PC) has true building destructibility, BF3 doesn't.

I think both BF3 and 4 would be worth their current prices at this moment. To me, values of online games depend not only on quality of gameplay itself, but realistically also on accessibility to servers and player counts. Right now both games have very solid player bases, 3 has over 15K at peak hours while 4 has above 30K. Besides, I still see a great number of servers for both games around the world. Good thing about EA is that it conducts the business honestly in this regard by disclosing real time server information on Battlelog to all people, not just those who have bought the games, so that you can see for yourself before buying.

BC2, on the other hand, has accomplished its historic mission. I haven't been seeing its player counts above 3K at any time spot for some years. Plus, it would so much depend on your geographical location for accessibility to servers. If you are living in East Asia, I would strongly recommend against this game to you since there aren't many servers left in the region. There are still quite a number of servers in Europe (which is what puzzling me, why Western Europe always has most Battlefield servers in the world?) but you probably won't have satisfactorily low pings to access from your locations in East Asia. That's the primary reason my BC2 disc is currently at the bottom of my drawer.

w@heliocentric what do you mean with 1.?

I was talking at Hunchback who dismisses both Battlefield 2's Project Reality mod and Hard-line which I recommended.

Hard-line brings high quality terrain fuelled chases and ambushes with no need for downtime.

Project Reality allows for multiple kilometre gunfights, meaningful logistics and withdrawals; access to a comprehensive range of equipment from the very start and it has player ran dedicated servers and huge maps which easily feel big even loaded with 64 people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post
    I am sorry, but to me Battlefield is about warfare, not police operations and car chases.
    You say that, but:

Yeah, commanders are back in BF4 as a server option, 90% of the time they're useless and the 10% they're actually effective is inevitably when you're on the other team. Most of their toys are unlocked by controlling certain points on a conquest map so if you're ever in a base, um, lock (the vernacular is too childish and makes me cringe to type it) situation all the commander really does is make things much, much worse. It's one thing having a 32-player army surrounding your base with every vehicle available (often including most of your own), it's another thing having that same force backed up by UAVs that spot you on their minimaps, an AC-130 loaded with three types of very effective gun, cruise missiles that probably can't actually be fired into your base but can still ruin your day if you do attempt or even manage to break out...

But, you know what? Talking about BF4 is making me want to play it, even though I'm being entirely negative about it. Maybe I should just find a low player count conquest server and hope I don't run into the tryhards and clans. Because, yeah, if you encounter even two people who are co-ordinating with voice chat you're going to find it hard to beat them. I know this because I used to play with 1-6 other people literally all the time on BF3 and, because deaths you're revived from don't count as deaths, our kill death ratios were all super low. Like, in one or two games I got over 20 kills, died a lot, but because they were quick to revive and heal me I ended with zero actual deaths.

Maybe this is an indication: I have filled up my Origin friends list (that's 100 people) with ex-clan members, RPSers, people from Pistonheads and GTPlanet and real life friends and yet the most concurrent players I've seen lately was a couple of weeks ago when I had SIX people playing. One was playing BF3 on PS3 and the other five were playing the Hardline beta. The beta ended and now it's a ghost town again.