Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

The Shadow of ... Mordor.

I find the geometry weird here. Mordor is not a mountain, is more like a burned landscape, it will be hard for it to create any shadow, except maybe in the very last minutes of the day, maybe. Also is cloudy there, with the evil and all the volcano smog. So theres no light in mordor, and where there is not light, theres no shadows.

I tried to find a thread about this game, and found nothing (??) so I have created a thread so people that have buy the game on PC can share their experiences.

Network Hub
    Every review is enthusiastic, I really really want to try the game... but a 35go download... Come on...

I'd like some feedback about the PC Port ! I have a laptop with a 765M and wonder if I will be able to run it, even in medium settings.

Saw some footage which looked nice.

Tried to buy it but it's not available in my country until thursday.
    So I just say "fuck it, get it when it's in the bargain bin." :)
    Internet has no oceans and all.

Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    Every review is enthusiastic, I really really want to try the game... but a 35go download... Come on...

I'd like some feedback about the PC Port ! I have a laptop with a 765M and wonder if I will be able to run it, even in medium settings.
    Eh, not every one, the review at Ars Technica laments the lack of cohesion of the plot and the mechanics, and that the orc captains and warlords don't actually have the effect on the world that their role suggests. But Just Cause 2 had the same problem (causing chaos to no apparent effect) and it turned out to be a fantastically fun game. TB's video also points this out, that there's little more to the game than killing orcs and doing things that enable you to kill orcs, but it appears that this goal is sufficient for a fun game.

TB also pointed out the good quality of the PC port and that it ran well on his system, but I haven't seen any reports on how it runs on less powerful hardware.

I've read many reviews even though I'm not interested at all. It's almost all 8s and 9s. I'm an old school Tolkien guy so I find the liberties with the lore troubling to say the least. It's a shame they couldn't find a more relevant universe to set their game in.

Also, keep in mind that WB bargain their games pretty hard. It's probably down to 10-15 bucks in about half a year.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I find the geometry weird here. Mordor is not a mountain, is more like a burned landscape, it will be hard for it to create any shadow, except maybe in the very last minutes of the day, maybe. Also is cloudy there, with the evil and all the volcano smog. So theres no light in mordor, and where there is not light, theres no shadows.

I tried to find a thread about this game, and found nothing (??) so I have created a thread so people that have buy the game on PC can share their experiences.
    Mordor is surrounded by mountains on three sides though, so there would be shadows cast over Mordor from these mountains.

Also I don't think the "shadow" is meant to refer to geometry. It's either the Wrath who posses the player character or it's a term for the player character himself because he is "like a shadow" in that he's stealthy and seemingly impossible to keep dead (orc chieftains will question why they're going to have to rekill you if you encounter them again).

I'm holding out for a few more reviews, but this game does look very good.

Ashenke, did you ever consider buying it off Amazon or a brick and mortar store and just installing it?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    Downloading as I write this (1,5h to go @ 6MB/s). Will report back later. I got it for 23 so not many regrets if it's not great.

Obscure Node
    TB has also mentioned in a few recent videos/Twitter statements, that it was difficult to get review code pre-release without signing a branded "don't say anything bad" deal. so more than usual, don't trust early reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by vurogj View Post
    TB has also mentioned in a few recent videos/Twitter statements, that it was difficult to get review code pre-release without signing a branded "don't say anything bad" deal. so more than usual, don't trust early reviews.
    Interesting. I'd have liked to have known that before buying but oh well, that'll teach me.

34GB download is pretty ridiculous. Have compression algorithms become impossible to use these days? I'm sure there are plenty of people with faster CPUs than internet speeds.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vurogj View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, because TB got one, and said it was good. Also, the good reviews have been by people who are actually trustworthy. So I don't buy that there's any reason to be more skeptical than usual.

Still too early to be sure, but so far the game's running at 60fps (With the occasional dip into the 50s) at 1080p with textures set to high even though my 670 only has 2GB VRAM.

If the Nemesis system works as well as reviews state it does then I can see this game being a ton of fun.
    Add me: Steam

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, because TB got one, and said it was good. Also, the good reviews have been by people who are actually trustworthy. So I don't buy that there's any reason to be more skeptical than usual.
    The very first thing he mentions in his video is that it was exceptionally difficult to obtain review code. Even if the game turns out good it's not a bad thing to be aware of any questionable conduct on the publisher's side.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    TB also said on twitter that they know someone that was able to secure the game for them, but if it wasn't for that person, he wouldn't of gotten the game before release unless he did the brand deal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    As we learned from the Arkham Asylum embargo shitstorm, these deals aren't a good quality measurement.

post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    TotalBiscuit prasied the game,and sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    This isn't region locked at all then?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I wasn't interested in this at all before seeing TB's video. Now it actually sounds really neat - a decent Arkham/Assassin style action game across large maps with a dynamic political web of orc chiefs who can be nudged, manipulated, and get stronger based on their successes.

@PeteC I'm not sure because I never dealt with the problem (throw all of your bad words at me for not posting about it).
    As far as I know it's a brazilian shop everyone can use. Game's steamworks and requires steam to activate though.
    Last edited by Wenz; Yesterday at 05:50 PM.
    post in progress

TB also mentioned the ultra textures weren't released yet, not sure if they are out yet.