Ori and the Blind Forest

Really not even sure how to introduce this game, other than that it's my 2015 Game of the Year candidate, and I feel like it's going to be very very hard to beat. Pleas watch the trailer in fullscreen with volume up high; it's one of those times it's good to own a subwoofer or a good pair of headphones.

Basically, Ori is one of those games based on a lot of imagination. It's an open platformer with a world to explore (as opposed to being level-based), lots of abilities and powerups to collect, and a LOT of challenge.

There's plenty about the actual gameplay that's very enjoyable. Lots of great wall-jumping situations, and a very unique ability called "Bash" that lets you launch an enemy's projectile, or an enemy itself, in one direction while you go the other way. It fits the game's aerial acrobatics very well.

The game's story is mostly told by an ancient tree spirit in some old tongue; but his voice is just flavor on top. Even without dialogue, the game achieves "tragic and truly emotional" in the first ten minutes or so. A lot of this is attributed to Brian Cohen's amazing work on the soundtrack (which is available on Amazon)

I noticed there was an RPS review of the game, but it still seems really surprising to me how little traction it's had, even with the rare "Overwhelmingly Positive" review section on Steam, so I wanted to see who here had played it. It's a little bit criminal that Steam users tend to "wait for a sale"; even though its starting price is $20, I honestly feel I would have paid $60 for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    It's definitely on my to-buy list.

confirming it's great

Obscure Node
    We've been conditioned to "sales" on the PC platform, as we view games (and many other things) as a mere commodity.

I try purchase full price if I can see a significant portion of it goes to the developer/publisher. I've got a bit of a backlog, but this is a game I truly want to play some time.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I heard it's basically a pretty Super Meat Boy, so I'm not too fond of it. I was expecting something more along the lines of World Of Illusion on the Mega Drive back in the days. Something where you soak in the environment and have a good time, not a tough challenge.

The view also seems to be a bit too far zoomed out. Yes, I'm a very visually motivated guy. For what it's worth, it's on my Steam wishlist.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

thanks for the rec, its on my list atm, and only the very best games get my time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    It's a metroidvania where you unlock abilities to reach new areas where you find more abilities to unlock even more areas and so on. Nothing like Super Meat Boy apart from being a platformer and having spikes in the landscape, although it is harder than I expected at least judging from the starting areas.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the movement of the character is extremely similar to SMB, so there's that.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 17-05-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I heard it's basically a pretty Super Meat Boy, so I'm not too fond of it. I was expecting something more along the lines of World Of Illusion on the Mega Drive back in the days. Something where you soak in the environment and have a good time, not a tough challenge.

The view also seems to be a bit too far zoomed out. Yes, I'm a very visually motivated guy. For what it's worth, it's on my Steam wishlist.
    Funny thing is, I actually hated Super Meat Boy; AND I beat most of it! I got to The Rapture, got stuck on one level pretty frustratedly, thought about whether to skip it, then thought to myself "Y'know what...WHY am I playing this game? I've hated every second of it!!" But I LOVE Ori and the Blind Forest.

I can assure you it has a lot more to offer beyond its difficulty; and it's definitely not mocking or punishing about it (as opposed to, say, From Software slowly draining out your life bar for having the audacity to die). The art style and soundtrack are both really powerful; and while there's some amount of 3D art, they actually do REALLY well at bringing 2D to life through all kinds of particle effects and parallax. I certainly wouldn't say you can "relax and soak in the environment" the same way you do a game like The Unfinished Swan or Ethan Carter; the game expects you to engage with it very directly; but there's also plenty of downtime when you're exploring. (The trailer happens to focus on some very action-oriented sections; actually a number of the clips are close to the end of the game, inside a volcano)

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Best thing about this game is the treeman narrating. Using a language that isnt understood really helps gloss over any potential delivery problems in the voice acting. You just concentrate on the tone instead, and the lovely smooth deep voice.

Platforming is fun, levels have a nice amount of hidden stuff, i tend to love metroidvanias, though i have to say i think the combat is poor, but its over fairly fast, which is good.