LF: Online TCG with limited format against friends and preferably no pay per draft

Esteemed colleagues, ladies and gentlemen! I come to you in the forlorn hope that you might have heard, read or just dreamt of a game that has eluded me in my month-long search in the far reaches of the internet. Since the thread's title had to be kept short, here's a more detailed explanation of what I'm searching for.

Limited format(s): Any kind of game mode in which decks are not constructed from a player's card collection but a completely or partially randomised pool of cards. Examples include Hearthstone's Arena and the Booster Draft or Sealed Deck seen in any paper tcg and Magic: The Gathering Online (mtgo).

Against friends: I have little to no interest in playing against complete strangers. If the game's good, I might try it but any game that offers no way to draft against friends is immediately disqualified.

Preferably no pay per draft: If you're familiar with the way that players have to pay for each Arena run in Hearthstone or the way mtgo and hex handle drafts, then you know what I'm trying to avoid. I understand that games have to make profits and I'm more than willing to pay for my games, in the form of card-set purchases or subscriptions for example, but I have no patience for thinly veiled online gambling and I'm definitely not encouraging it by persuading my tcg-buddies to join me.

List of games I looked at and dismissed

BattleCraft
    Battlegrounds of Eldhelm
    Duelyst
    Hearthstone
    Hex
    Infinity Wars
    Magic Duels
    Magic: The Gathering Online
    Might & Magic: Duel of Champions
    Scrolls
    Shadow Era
    SolForge
    War of Omens

So yeah, if you can think of any game that might interest me, please let me know. The reward will be eternal gratitude and the blessing of the roman-catholic church. I'm sure my mojo as an ex-altar boy still works, since I never stopped paying the church tax.
    Last edited by Sinderlin; 24-08-2015 at 01:59 PM.

This is something we all want, since limited draft is really the only way to eliminate the pay-for-advantage elements of a CCG.

I will let you know the moment I hear of anything. If you play meatspace games, though, you may want to look at the upcoming Epic Card Game - it's a draft-style CCG that costs all of $20 to buy (you can buy multiple sets for a cube format, but it's not necessary).

Network Hub
    what about a game that's just about drafting with no TCG attached?

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    Dominion fits this bill... the online game works pretty well, though the physical version is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    This is something we all want, since limited draft is really the only way to eliminate the pay-for-advantage elements of a CCG.
    My primary motivation is that fact the I get easily bored by constructed play, which has been the case for any paper or digital tcg I tried so far.

I will let you know the moment I hear of anything. If you play meatspace games, though, you may want to look at the upcoming Epic Card Game - it's a draft-style CCG that costs all of $20 to buy (you can buy multiple sets for a cube format, but it's not necessary).
    Thank you! I'm specifically looking for an online game because of this nonsense with spatial coordinates in realspace. It's hard to get people together for a quick game when there's this nonsense thing - apparently called 'distance' - in the way. But 'Epic Card Game' sounds interesting and I'll definitely try to get some people into it with whom I occasionally play Fantasy Flight's living card games.

Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    Sorry, but I'm currently not interested in games like Dominion, Thunderstone or War of Omens. They definitely have their merits but I'm looking for a game where I don't have to worry about transitioning from starting deck to end product while keeping the interstitial versions viable.

It's worth noting that previous card game by ECG's developers, Star Realms, has a fully-featured online play application. This wasn't part of the kickstarter for ECG so it's not a given, but if it achieves a measure of Star Realms' success it's likely it will get an online version.

Maybe take a look at Battlegrounds Of Eldhelm. I's a free to play on Steam and I think it could suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoicesOfOne View Post
    Maybe take a look at Battlegrounds Of Eldhelm. I's a free to play on Steam and I think it could suit your needs.
    Battlegrounds of Eldhelm does not seem to offer any limited play modes, only pre-constructed decks. I've added it to the list of games I've looked at.
    Last edited by Sinderlin; 24-08-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How easy to do you want it?

You can play Netrunner on Octgn. You'll need to learn the game first (as it's not fully automated) http://www.tuism.com/octgn-netrunner-fool-proof-guide/

Then you can use this tool to generate draft packs:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9...or-and-network

Probably a bit too fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    How easy to do you want it?

You can play Netrunner on Octgn. You'll need to learn the game first (as it's not fully automated) http://www.tuism.com/octgn-netrunner-fool-proof-guide/

Then you can use this tool to generate draft packs:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9...or-and-network

Probably a bit too fiddly.
    I've played paper Netrunner, so I know the rules. However: I don't like Netrunner all that much and playing it on OCTGN is illegal. I know you can simulate many paper tcgs on OCTGN, including MTG, but I rather not walk that path.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ng-hearthstone

This article suggests Doomtown: Reloaded; might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    This article suggests Doomtown: Reloaded; might be worth checking out.
    There's no online version mentioned anywhere on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderlin View Post
    I've played paper Netrunner, so I know the rules. However: I don't like Netrunner all that much and playing it on OCTGN is illegal. I know you can simulate many paper tcgs on OCTGN, including MTG, but I rather not walk that path.
    I'd like to point out that, technically, I know of no legal precedent that says playing on OCTGN or likewise is illegal; it may be that *creating* such a module, or distributing it, is illegal, but actually using it is not. It's not straightforward, because "pirating a physical product" isn't really something that has hit the courts, AFAIK (at least not in the USA - not sure where you are!).

Also, FWIW, Fantasy Flight Games has a history of letting these things lie on purpose -Vassal (online x-wing) is absolutely key to the competitive X-Wing community, and is generally seen to help rather than hurt sales, hence no legal action being taken.

I'd like to point out that, technically, I know of no legal precedent that says playing on OCTGN or likewise is illegal; it may be that *creating* such a module, or distributing it, is illegal, but actually using it is not. It's not straightforward, because "pirating a physical product" isn't really something that has hit the courts, AFAIK (at least not in the USA - not sure where you are!).

Also, FWIW, Fantasy Flight Games has a history of letting these things lie on purpose -Vassal (online x-wing) is absolutely key to the competitive X-Wing community, and is generally seen to help rather than hurt sales, hence no legal action being taken.
    I'm not pointing out the legal issue because I'm afraid of a cease and desist letter. Although playing Netrunner on OCTGN requires a download of copyrighted material (the card text in the anr-plugin) which is definitely illegal in the EU and not a legal grey area. I'm pointing it out because I'm personally unwilling to break the laws in question.
    Last edited by Sinderlin; Yesterday at 10:22 AM.

Okay!

It's probably worth noting that you're asking people for their time and energy in solving this dilemma, and most of your responses have been less then gracious about their generosity.

I'm sorry if my answers seemed blunt but that was definitely not my intent. I'm used to a somewhat terse and direct mode of communication online to save everybody's time and I'm sorry if that creates the wrong impression on this board.

Yeah, I gotcha - not trying to call you out, more like "tips for getting more responses."

I think it's quite likely that the game you want simply doesn't exist yet - and because it doesn't exist yet, it would be a large financial gamble for anyone to bring it about. I hope as much as you do that it does come.