Page 277 of 292 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 5824
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theclockworkrat View Post
    Why might I want Van Helsing or Deadlight? I already have Gal Civ 2 (on CD no less!)
    Again, Van Helsing - very nice looking, polished ARPG, but somewhat shallow compared to others in the genre (not as many skills, stats etc.) and the wacky humour might not click with you. I still liked it more than some much more popular alternatives, though (Torchlight 2, for one).

Deadlight - absolutely gorgeous 2D side-scroller (really, really beautifully done) which prioritises slow, careful play over dashing about, but it's fairly simple, short, the story's mediocre and the localisation is horrendous. More than a few people didn't like some of the trickier platforming sections, though those never really bothered me.

Much as I hesitate to be an enabler, I'd say those two are a fantastic bargain for a dollar, if that's all you want to pay.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    You put me over the edge. I've been telling myself these last couple of weeks, "No more new games until you finish some" and I've only bought about two dozen since then, so I'm getting better.

Better than TL2? Consider me intrigued.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    "No more new games until you finish some"
    Abandon the principle rather than the new games.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I still disagree with this... but that's me. I'm still considering buying this to see if the DLC is good.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Abandon the principle rather than the new games.
    Cheap principles, cheap games ... it's a struggle, I tell ya.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well. I am aware lots of people like TL2; I didn't. Much. I didn't think it was bad, just that the world was dull (the storytelling non-existent, pretty much), the maps weren't particularly interesting and the difficulty was woefully easy, on Normal and Veteran. Everyone was trumpeting it as the D3 they'd wanted all along, but from my experience of D3 (without RoS, admittedly) I'd say they're depressingly similar. I found Van Helsing's production values and worldbuilding much more interesting (even if the humour started to grate), the levels much more fun to explore and the gameplay far more challenging (more interesting, at least, if still not wildly tough). Path of Exile is still my favourite of these games by far, I think, but Van Helsing's not a bad budget alternative, and a much better game for my money than the big names.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    Cheap principles, cheap games ...
    And expensive Mexican food, it's just how I live!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    Really? Where?
    It's been in bundles before. As for cuts, I don't think it's ever been more than 80% off a price that's still about 40 currency units.

Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    My logic is that I can play the base game for now to get into it, having invested only a tiny sum, and then if I fancy the DLC I'll pick up the complete pack when I see it on sale.
    I don't think the DLC collection will ever be very cheap until CKIII, but I don't really follow the updating process so can't be sure. During Steam sales it's usually around 12-13€ which might not include the most recent big DLC.

While I pretty much agree with Vinraith, there's more than enough game in there to keep you entertained for dozens of hours on end, and getting into it is hard enough that you would likely disable the DLC anyway until you get the hang of the basics - so your approach actually makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Again, Van Helsing - very nice looking, polished ARPG, but somewhat shallow compared to others in the genre (not as many skills, stats etc.) and the wacky humour might not click with you. I still liked it more than some much more popular alternatives, though (Torchlight 2, for one).
    Not sure while you keep not mentioning it, but the game is supposed to have a tower defense element too. IIRC John said it doesn't really come into play until the later stages, and maybe that it wasn't all that great? been a while since I last checked the RPS WIT (anyone wondering can find it linked from post #1)

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Deadlight - absolutely gorgeous 2D side-scroller (really, really beautifully done) which prioritises slow, careful play over dashing about, but it's fairly simple, short, the story's mediocre and the localisation is horrendous. More than a few people didn't like some of the trickier platforming sections, though those never really bothered me.
    I haven't played a whole lot of Deadlight, the localizazion was OK though. It's gets the atmosphere right, it's a looker and mechanically sound. You won't find it in the history books along the likes of PoP and Flashback, but it's certainly worth more than one buck alone.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The tower defence part, at least in the first Van Helsing, is just one map inside your hub. You have to play it at least once (to clear the monsters out of the hub and claim it) but it's optional the other, harder times through, IIRC. (It's been a while, and I never actually finished the game, much as I liked it.) It's fun, but it's not something I'd really sell the game on, which was why I found it a tad surprising when Neocore made such a big deal of it.

Deadlight... eh, opinions and all, but I seriously thought the story was just a few steps short of Google translated subs for a pirate copy of some old horror movie. Some aspects of it weren't so bad - I thought the character the reviews seemed to hate was one of the strongest things about it. But mostly I felt the voice actors sounded as if they didn't have a clue how to make this nonsense sound like actual English (as it is spoke).

But it says a lot for how great I thought it looked and how much fun I found it to play that I finished it anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There have been sales where the CK2 DLC was around €1 - €2 for the expansion DLCs. While the full DLC collection was €12, you could get what you need for around €7

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Maybe it's a regional thing? I'd swear I'd seen the base game for $5 on both Steam and Gamersgate during various sales.
    I got CK2 for $2.50 on Amazon in May of 2012.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I don't think the DLC collection will ever be very cheap until CKIII, but I don't really follow the updating process so can't be sure. During Steam sales it's usually around 12-13€ which might not include the most recent big DLC.
    Not really the right thread, but since you brought up CKIII, I have a question about the jump from 1 to 2.

Namely: How did they manage the content transfer? They've released such a huge load of content post-release for the game, that I wonder what they'll come up with for the next iteration. So, basically, what I'm asking is: Does vanilla CKII include most of what CK(I) with expansions covered or is it more of a Sims deal, where you buy a new engine and then buy the same old expansions (plus a bunch of new ones) to go with it?

While I pretty much agree with Vinraith, there's more than enough game in there to keep you entertained for dozens of hours on end, and getting into it is hard enough that you would likely disable the DLC anyway until you get the hang of the basics - so your approach actually makes sense.
    Indeed. While I bought the expansions pretty early, I spent hundreds of hours with the base game before actually moving on to them. Vanilla CKII has more than enough content to keep you busy for a good while. So basically, If there's an expansion that really catches your interest, buy it. Otherwise, you'll be just fine with what's included in the base game.

I haven't played a whole lot of Deadlight, the localizazion was OK though. It's gets the atmosphere right, it's a looker and mechanically sound. You won't find it in the history books along the likes of PoP and Flashback, but it's certainly worth more than one buck alone.
    Pretty much this. It's a beautiful game with some nice levels (and some damn annoying ones too). The story never caught my interest, but I had fun with the game. It's like a not-as-good-or-beautiful-or-atmospheric Limbo.

Activated Node
    I'm pretty sure that, content-wise, the first CK wasn't even close to what was initially in even early editions of CK2. It was along the same lines, but not with the same depth. It had one expansion, Deus Vult, but I bought them together so I'm not sure what exactly was added in that. CK2 was a huge breakout title for Paradox, and given their general strategy toward DLC, there was always going to be a lot. As it is, it looks like the game is generally flexible enough for it to be added to consistently, although they must be running out fairly soon, I'd imagine. The scale is so large, that I'm not sure what strategy they'd take with a CK3 - I tend toward thinking that a new CK game is going to be at the long end of a new development cycle with regard to HOI4 and Vicky3, so it'd probably be an engine update more than anything. Either way, it's hard to see how they could take things out and sell them again, even with an interface that, while lacking, isn't bad as such.

So late, so very very late but nobody will mind right? Humble's got a Mobile SEGA Bundle:

PWYW: Sonic 4 Episode I, ChuChu Rocket!, Virtua Tennis Challenge
    BTA: Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic 4 Episode II, Crazy Taxi

Android only with 2nd week unlocks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

IndieGala has launched an Axis Game Factory Bundle.

And since IndieRoyale hasn't pushed out of the door a follow-up to the Topware bundle, I guess they might on a break too.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    ChuChu Rocket!
    There is a game that just like Sid Meier's Pirates! Deserves its exclamation mark. Has anyone spent any time with the mobile port, is it any good?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    There is a game that just like Sid Meier's Pirates! Deserves its exclamation mark. Has anyone spent any time with the mobile port, is it any good?
    I played the mobile version on my old B&N Nook a year ago, and it was just as much fun as the original Dreamcast version. I only tried the single player mode, though, so I can't vouch for the multiplayer mode. But if you enjoyed the puzzles of the original or maybe even the battle mode against the computer in the original game, then the mobile is definitely worth picking up, especially in the PWYW tier. The touch controls work pretty well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Does vanilla CKII include most of what CK(I) with expansions covered
    The release version of CK2 had basically everything from CK1 and it was all better. This isn't a particularly good example of how they do things though, because CK1 had a bit of a disastrous development and it never really worked properly even with the expansion. I'm not an EU3 expert but my feeling was that EU4 release tried to include everything from all the EU3 expansions. I think their philosophy is to attempt to make New Game include (Old Game + DLCs) but one has to doubt that they'll manage this for CK3. Indeed, I believe attempting that would be a mistake, and their first priority in CK3 should be making an awesome system for internal kingdom interactions.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

The day so far: Humble Weekly Extra Credits:

PWYW: Enemy Mind, One Finger Death Punch, Two Brothers + Comic
    BTA: Master Reboot, Stick It to the Man!
    BT15: Ether One Deluxe Edition, Hand of Fate

http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

DailyIndieGame Super Bundle #8:

Memories of a Vagabond, Bionic Dues, A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2, Light Fish, Crystals of Time, Hacker Evolution Duality

http://www.dailyindiegame.com/content_bundle.html

New Ikoid "Skyward":

Anthill, Bombcats: Special Edition, Crazy Chicken Deluxe, Wimp: Who Stole My Pants?, Open Sea! Go Down Mo!, Shiny the Firefly

http://ikoid.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Hand of Fate looks VERY tempting. Plus I love Extra Credits.