Page 304 of 304 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304
Results 6,061 to 6,075 of 6075
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Available for preorder, BlazBlue to be featured:

http://groupees.com/doujin3
    Unfortunately, the PC version of BlazBlue is fairly outdated. There have been two sequels since Calamity Trigger, neither of which were ported to PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    Unfortunately, the PC version of BlazBlue is fairly outdated. There have been two sequels since Calamity Trigger, neither of which were ported to PC.
    True enough. Still worth it for $2, IMO.

Humble doesn't disappoint this Halloween, get this weekly:

PWYW: Knock-knock, Home, Vertical Drop Heroes HD + Halloween Content
    BTA: Betrayer, Five Night at Freddy's, Our Darker Purpose
    BT15: Among the Sleep

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

The featured deal on IGS today is: Wolf Wars.

https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Doujin 3 going live in about half an hour, see you later for the rest of our daily catching up.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Groupees Doujin 3:

$1+: dUpLicity ~Beyond the Lies~ + Android version, QUALIA 3: Multi Agent, Akane the Kunoichi
    $4+: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, RefleX + OST, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Stagelight

https://groupees.com/doujin3

Also, Remute 3:

Mind: Path to Thalamus, Phantasmaburbia, Beekyr: Shmup for Experts, Level 22: Gary's Misadventures + OST, Mutant Colossus from Space
    First bonus: r0x (Extended Play)

https://groupees.com/remute3

And the next unlock for BaGB12 will be Seven Kingdoms 2: Fryhtan Wars.
    Last edited by alms; Today at 04:10 AM.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

New on Steam: Guns n Zombies (IR Donut), Cosmic DJ (HmDevolverDblDebut T2, HmSFWkly)

Network Hub
    There seems to be an issue with the Groupees Doujin bundle, with people currently not getting Steam keys for BlazBlue. (Game shows up in your profile, but with no key.)

Not the first time it happens, usually it gets sorted out quickly.

Here I was hoping for something like World End Economica or any of the other interesting visual novels released on Steam. I don't know any of these games except for Blaz Blue of course. Maybe next time.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    any of the other interesting visual novels released on Steam.
    I guess the Hatoful remake cannot be classed as doujin anymore, uh..? That's basically the only name I can think of.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Here I was hoping for something like World End Economica or any of the other interesting visual novels released on Steam. I don't know any of these games except for Blaz Blue of course. Maybe next time.
    Duplicity is another Roseverte VN - the guys who did Cafe 0, which has been bundled a few times - not played any of their games so far, but they seem... okay, if with fairly unexceptional art. Danmaku Unlimited is a fairly well regarded bullet hell series AFAIK (mostly seen iOS gamers talking about it - they seemed to like it, and given how much competition it's got on the format that seemed like a good sign). It's not a great bundle, IMO, but it was worth the pre-order price, and if they fix the BlazBlue keys it'll definitely have been worth it.

I'd guess World End Economica is far too recent and too (relatively) well-known - the Spice & Wolf connection - for Groupees to have a chance at essentially giving it away.

I guess the Hatoful remake cannot be classed as doujin anymore, uh..? That's basically the only name I can think of.
    BlazBlue is hardly a doujin game. ;) Most of the VNs on Steam are Winter Wolves games, and after the horrors of Heileen 3 I'm not touching any more of their work with a ten foot pole. There's a few others, mind. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is fairly simple, but very sweet and genuinely funny. Planetarian's on Steam now, though I think you'd have to be really into anime/Japanese pop culture to think that was worth $10 - it's a reasonable little short story but not much more than that. Rising Angels: Reborn is decent enough, if very obviously a free fan project. Cinders is meant to be good, and the art's certainly neat, though from the brief look I had at the demo it felt as if was pushing its YEAH, GRRRL POWAH angle far too hard. The Yawhg is meant to be good, and Emily Carroll's art is amazeballs. Oh, and the two Analogue games are technically VNs.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; Yesterday at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is fairly simple, but very sweet and genuinely funny.
    Well, you're a better man than me: while I was able to stand CTHCC longer than most other japanese/japanese-aping games (if there's a collective term for that please let me know), it was still fairly vacuous in my book.

While I played my share of japanese games and visual novels in the past, I've grown increasingly sick of the bags of cliches and tropes that seem permanently attached to that type of media.

Cinders is meant to be good, and the art's certainly neat, though from the brief look I had at the demo it felt as if was pushing its YEAH, GRRRL POWAH angle far too hard.
    Cinders, I loved it, must've played it at least thrice. But! that's 100% a western game in its sensibilities and construction.

Now if you take my reply to Anthile's post in isolation, it might seem like a statement about VNs in general, but since it was in the context of the Doujin bundle, it would better be thought as "interesting japanese (japanese-aping) VNs"

I don't have problems with western games that only use the anime style as a dress, e.g. Christine Love's, or even Katawa Shoujo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Mind: Path to Thalamus has all the graphics, I think that's reason enough to play it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't have problems with western games that only use the anime style as a dress, e.g. Christine Love's, or even Katawa Shoujo.
    Right back at you: I'd say Katawa Shoujo was slavishly aping almost every tiresome/offensive anime trope in the book, and had mediocre to dreadful writing to boot. It was a nerd tribute band without an ounce of creativity trying to do something "worthy" and failing on all counts. Ugh. I hated it (and I got every ending, so I know I'm not missing anything). CTHCC is pretty much a trifle but it was miles, miles better, for my money, and carried a far better message without even trying.

I liked what I saw of Cinders up to a point, but from what I remember the first few sentences of the demo went straight into MY GOODNESS, IT'S HARD TO BE A WOMAN IN A FAIRYTALE WORLD, WINK, WINK and didn't really improve. Sure did look pretty, though.

I don't have any problem with who makes a VN; I like Japanese pop culture but I'm not one to idolise the Empire of Nippon for the sake of it. Juniper's Knot is one of my favourite pieces of digital short fiction ever (something like Digital: A Love Story isn't even in the same league), and that's a Western doujin group, or circle or whatever. Although then they went and did Dysfunctional Systems and I wanted to like the first episode of that, I did, and I even bought it as a separate download on day one, but it was so utterly dreary and lifeless I don't even know. Dreadful. Maybe JK was just a happy accident. :(

Right back at you: I'd say Katawa Shoujo was slavishly aping almost every tiresome/offensive anime trope in the book, and had mediocre to dreadful writing to boot.
    It was definitely trying hard (which is why I added 'or even') but for whatever reason it didn't irk as much as the real thing.

A lot of mainstream anime stuff feels to me like they are made of interchangeable building blocks, with the characters codified so strictly they've turned into masks - everything seems so terribly predictable and phoned in and at the same time overemphasized.

Maybe the KS authors didn't have that those patterns internalized so deeply, although I wouldn't rule out I'd feel differently about it now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A lot of mainstream anime stuff feels to me like they are made of interchangeable building blocks, with the characters codified so strictly they've turned into masks - everything seems so terribly predictable and phoned in and at the same time overemphasized.
    Eh, Japanese culture's not the only culprit - I still maintain that whatever the reason TV Tropes got started, now it pretty much just fosters the mentality that if a character is "Type 1" then they all but have to do X, Y and Z or the story hasn't been written properly. But certainly, while I'm sure we'd probably disagree on what was worth watching, it does frustrate/upset me when 4chan, anime blogs and so on discuss tsundere, yandere etc. as if these are infallible guides to how actual human beings behave (rather than broad stereotypes dreamt up to please otaku).