Page 345 of 345 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345
Results 6,881 to 6,891 of 6891
    Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
    There is a new music bundle in groupees.

https://groupees.com/synth

The Betamaxx album is really good (the first song with Tommy is incredibly good, but you know, Tommy, author of best album of 2014 for me), and I have to investigate the other ones. Again, if you want a taste of them, go to bandcamp.
    After listening a bit to the albums, I realized I knew most of them but got lost in the stream of "new album! new album! NEW ALBUM!" I get every day that makes it a bit difficult to remember everything. But, god, the Phaserland and Sebastian Gampl albums are a marvel of 80s techno pop. The rest are really nice albums that, damn, for 2 dollars are a bargain.

IndieRoyale Mixer 15 has unlocked its last mystery game: Space Salvager.

And wait, what's that? two more keys: Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun (Groupees), Social Justice Warrior (IG GL4).
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
    There is a new music bundle in groupees.

https://groupees.com/synth

The Betamaxx album is really good (the first song with Tommy is incredibly good, but you know, Tommy, author of best album of 2014 for me), and I have to investigate the other ones. Again, if you want a taste of them, go to bandcamp.
    A bargain, sure, but there's far, far better synthwave on Bandcamp (and much of it available for free if you're broke/a cheapskate - Black City Lights, Crowns, Home, Le Matos, Makeup & Vanity Set, Moderns, Pilotpriest, Vogel...). Still, I have no objection to Groupees doing this - might sling them some change just for the hell of it.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; Yesterday at 10:16 AM.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    A bargain, sure, but there's far, far better synthwave on Bandcamp (and much of it available for free if you're broke/a cheapskate - Black City Lights, Crowns, Home, Le Matos, Makeup & Vanity Set, Moderns, Pilotpriest, Vogel...). Still, I have no objection to Groupees doing this - might sling them some change just for the hell of it.
    Makes notes.... I listen to far too little music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    aaaaaaaaaand the thread is correct again - is this the third - no FOURTH - FIFTH! March!!

This forum gets quieter and quieter but this thread will probably last forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Makes notes.... I listen to far too little music.
    <off-topic>
    Full disclosure; I'm not really a fan of the crappy 80s VHS aesthetic so many of these artists love. I don't think old horror/slasher movies - a helpless woman! A knife! BLOOD! NEON! - is a look anyone should be rushing to emulate - though this isn't just Political Correctness Gone Mad, I don't like how it informs the music, either. Too many of these guys just sound like cruddy 80s thrash in some forgotten dive bar if it were being played on badly programmed synths (yes, Perturbator, I'm looking at you). I'm sure you'd take my recommendations with a pinch of salt anyway, natch. Just saying.
    </off-topic>

Obscure Node
    EXTREME OFF TOPIC WARNING

Wohoo! An offtopic I like! At last bandcamp music discussion!

The "Le Matos" album is already two years old, and yes, it is good, though a bit more dancefloor friendly than the other synth wave stuff. Well, "good", with that I mean that I was listening to it non stop for several months and was my soundtrack for coming back home after clubbing. I wondered why the Future Youth success didn't give Le Matos more popularity.

I think this bulk of people get something really well: shape an idealized vision of the 80s that never existed, which is actually the designer's vision back then. I am fascinated by all of these synth wave albums because they have that atemporal feeling and "I don't give a sh&t if this is too corny" attitude that I find really brave. As for the rest, I have not listened to them yet, but following your trend here is my namedropping for the last year:

Tommy - Frequency Modulations. This one is just perfect. It is so good, so incredibly melodic and uplifting and funky and risky and everything that I think that the synthwave label plays against it, as it happened with that Le Matos album.

Timecop1983 - Journeys . After some moths the repetition in it bores me a bit, but the pop gems are non arguable pop gems. "Lost in your eyes", "Dreams" and "Call on you" are impressive, with great production and composition.

Le Cassette - Left To Our Own Devices . This is the corniest one, a bit overlong, but glorious at its over the top campyness. "Arms of Mine" has a climax of an apocalyptic beauty I barely have listened to.

Dead Astronauts - Constellations . Ok, not for the entire album, but for that sweet peace of Human League dynamics in "Little white lie".

Monomer - Labyrinth . Another spectacular example of the genre, though the best song is obviously the first one.

Future City Records Compilations. All of them.

Lush! - Hopes & Dreams . That one was not popular, though it is, again, incredibly well produced and arranged. Catchy and sunny.

Plaisance - Thunder in Paradise . That synthetic hi nrg vision of the 80s, with some radio-friendly works not so far from Marcus Miller in "Blinded by the shine", is also very unique, and again, catchy and sunny.

Muscle - The Pump . Gloriously homosexual, like a remake of "Get physical" but a bit more oily.

ytcracker - Introducing Neals . So damn crazy that I love it. Hip hop and blade runner-isms.

Also, I am not that into the carpeter-ish stuff of Perturbator, Nightcrawler and such, but it is the most popular of the music trends there. And one must accept that the Perturbator works are crafted with care, though it is the vocal compositions the ones that work best.

OFF TOPIC OFF

A mod should probably shift these posts... there's already a What Are You Listening to post in the off-topic forum.

(I shall temper your enthusiasm by saying I can't stand Dead Astronauts, though. <_< )

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    aaaaaaaaaand the thread title is correct again - is this the third - no FOURTH - FIFTH! March!!

This forum gets quieter and quieter but this thread will probably last forever...
    Fourth, let's not the enthusiasm go to our heads now :)

Thread birthday in 12 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    A mod should probably shift these posts... there's already a What Are You Listening to post in the off-topic forum.
    Actually I welcome that discussion, since not many of us aren't even paying attention to the music. It's Groupees, so I'm fine with having the posts here, as long as the discussion doesn't turn into something else entirely, it's no problem with me.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

49th Monday Bundle from IndieGala:

King Arthur's Gold, Master Reboot, X-note, Depths of Peril, Secrets of Raetikon, Solar Struggle

$1.99 for the first 24h, and not half bad either I must say.

https://www.indiegala.com/monday

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Fourth, let's not the enthusiasm go to our heads now :)
    I mixed-up the thread start date with your join date - which therefore begs the question "what did Alms do for almost a year before this thread arrived"?

eh?

EH?