Page 125 of 313 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 6254
  1. #2481
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    And people wonder why publishers can be assholes sometimes. Seeing as they're providing goods they commisioned, goods they paid for, and giving all the profit to charity yet still have peole calling out the move. EA have done some shit things over the last few years. And sure, EA are getting some positive spin from this. But they never had to do it. For all the whining, bitching and declaring the gaming community does they never actually back it up. "Sim City was a disgrace! I'll never buy EA again" was the rallying call of so many. But when EA are the holders of their favourite licenses such declarations fall by the wayside without a second thought. So EA would be making money anyway. Maybe not as much, and their profits have been falling. But they are still profits, and will only be reinforced thanks to Dice, Bioware and their other major studios; with losses being minimized through taking fewer risks (I doubt there will be another Medal of Honor for a while).

    Just be happy that some charities are getting money, and some people are getting to enjoy some games they otherwise wouldn't have. You know that guy who's cynical of everything and takes pride in being an eternal pessimist? No one likes that guy, nor do they think he/she is clever or tellin' it like it is. If you enjoy revelling in a state of mind where you approach everything with distrust and distaste, then have fun with that. Me? I'm going to enjoy trying Battlefield 3 and The Saboteur which I just got cheap off EA.

  2. #2482
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    Exactly what they said. I looked at the bundles individually, but it's same old same old. I swear, you could have picked up Avencast and Grotesque tactics a million times by now if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Internet; 24-08-2013 at 01:43 AM.

  3. #2483
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    And people wonder why publishers can be assholes sometimes. Seeing as they're providing goods they commisioned, goods they paid for, and giving all the profit to charity yet still have peole calling out the move. EA have done some shit things over the last few years. And sure, EA are getting some positive spin from this. But they never had to do it. For all the whining, bitching and declaring the gaming community does they never actually back it up. "Sim City was a disgrace! I'll never buy EA again" was the rallying call of so many. But when EA are the holders of their favourite licenses such declarations fall by the wayside without a second thought. So EA would be making money anyway. Maybe not as much, and their profits have been falling. But they are still profits, and will only be reinforced thanks to Dice, Bioware and their other major studios; with losses being minimized through taking fewer risks (I doubt there will be another Medal of Honor for a while).

    Just be happy that some charities are getting money, and some people are getting to enjoy some games they otherwise wouldn't have. You know that guy who's cynical of everything and takes pride in being an eternal pessimist? No one likes that guy, nor do they think he/she is clever or tellin' it like it is. If you enjoy revelling in a state of mind where you approach everything with distrust and distaste, then have fun with that. Me? I'm going to enjoy trying Battlefield 3 and The Saboteur which I just got cheap off EA.
    Yeah, I love this mentality of "EA gives us a bonus and it isn't the game I want? Fuck them, they are money grubbing assholes"

    I was talking to a friend earlier about this kind of crap. Guys: EA are not the assholes they were in the 90s. They aren't the assholes who killed all your favorite franchises. Yes, they aren't the best company in the world and yes, they still kind of treat their employees a bit shittily, but honestly, as a game development company they are doing a pretty damned good job. They make a wide variety of games, and most of their titles are consistently good (by the standards set forth for the genre, and I think we can probably blame Activision for FPSes going down the shitter). Sure they fuck up, but everyone does.

    But here is the thing: If they get the same response whether they do something stupid (Sim City), evil (Can't think of anything recent off the top of my head, but I am sure they kicked a puppy), or good (use their back catalogue to raise money for charity/earn goodwill), they are going to do what is easy. And the easy thing might not be the thing we want.


    So bash them when they are bad, but don't forget to praise them when they are good. Are they doing good right now? Yes. Are their intentions pure? Probably not, but CD Projekt's reasons for being "anti-DRM" sure as fuck ain't good, but we benefit from that, and that is the important thing.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  4. #2484
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I was talking to a friend earlier about this kind of crap. Guys: EA are not the assholes they were in the 90s. They aren't the assholes who killed all your favorite franchises. Yes, they aren't the best company in the world and yes, they still kind of treat their employees a bit shittily, but honestly, as a game development company they are doing a pretty damned good job. They make a wide variety of games, and most of their titles are consistently good (by the standards set forth for the genre, and I think we can probably blame Activision for FPSes going down the shitter). Sure they fuck up, but everyone does.
    You're right. They're not the same. They're worse. They're a husk of a company now reliant on building put-a-coin-in-it machines first and games second with only rare exceptions, they're also reliant on churning out endless variations of the same thing to the point that their idea of 6 new IPs being developed is, in fact, the old IP with a new name but ssssh, they're still shuttering studios on a fairly regular basis too with copious job losses caused by all these failures.

    About the only thing they do get right these days is that those who get to keep their jobs are treated massively better than they ever were before. They've managed at least to sort their shit out there. Which is something.

    They're a company that's been in creative decline for 7 years now. This doesn't translate to not making money, natch. They do plenty of that. Their mobile division which is on course to ruin more games through microtransactions than most are doing a stellar job at bringing in the pennies. Tetris with microtransactions! Real Racing with microtransactions! Plants Vs Zombies where you can buy the plants! This is the future of your EA desktop games too, no about face there, onwards they march. Competently made games with money slots for you to keep pumping those coins in. Don't stop pumping the coins in!

    They have the very same corporate mentality to studio buyouts and closures they always had, except now they can charge you with throwing together a mobile game or up until a year or so ago a facebook game for you to fail with before they do. Oh, that and all your beloved studios are already gone so they can't buy up and close them, natch.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  5. #2485
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,266
    EA are the same assholes with better PR agents. Fear the PR it melds your perception. The only newer games in this bundle are microtransaction platforms, same bullshit different flavour.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  6. #2486
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,352
    New IndieGameStand deal: QuestRun BTA: QuestRun OST, Skies

    http://www.indiegamestand.com

    Chains has been added to the IndieRoyale Prairie Dog Bundle.

    http://www.indieroyale.com
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  7. #2487
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    You're right. They're not the same. They're worse. They're a husk of a company now reliant on building put-a-coin-in-it machines first and games second with only rare exceptions, they're also reliant on churning out endless variations of the same thing to the point that their idea of 6 new IPs being developed is, in fact, the old IP with a new name but ssssh, they're still shuttering studios on a fairly regular basis too with copious job losses caused by all these failures.
    In the past five years (since 2008):
    Mirror's Edge
    Dead Space
    The Bad Company series of Battlefield (I understand if you refused to look at it because it was from EA, but Bad Company is distinct enough from Battlefield that I would consider it a new IP. The first was largely the Saints Row of CoD-likes, in that it just didn't give a shit and had lots of fun)
    The Saboteur (god I love that game)
    Dragon Age (Maybe it wasn't as good as our rose tinted lenses make us think baldurs gate was, but it was enjoyable. And it made me replay baldurs gate :p)
    Brutal Legend (apparently there were some people who liked the Jack Black game)
    Dante's Inferno (I thought it was shit, but some people enjoyed the abuse it heaped upon both literature and God of War)
    Bulletstorm
    Fuse (tried the demo, wasn't amazing, but was okay. It was decent enough that me and a few friends marked it as a game to potentially get on the PSN if we can cloud it on our PS4s)

    Maybe you don't like them, but those are all definitely new IPs with POSSIBLY the exception of Bad Company, and trust me when I say that BC is about as Battlefield as the Star Wars Battlefront series.

    And it is funny you mention failures. Do you know WHY EA has to close so many studios due to failures? Because they are taking risks. Activision and the like (yup, that includes Valve) are playing it smart. They are just saying "Make another FPS, kids like that" or "Oh, so and so did X? We can do X too!". EA are still trying shit that gamers might not like (see Sim City). And here is the thing: That tends to lead to a few fuck-ups. Because if you knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that gamers would like something, it wouldn't be a risk, and everyone would be doing it.

    Because stuff like The Sims and Madden and Battlefield (heh) are easy money. They are the moneys that let EA survive a flop. Because THQ took a few too many risks and went under.

    They're a company that's been in creative decline for 7 years now. This doesn't translate to not making money, natch. They do plenty of that. Their mobile division which is on course to ruin more games through microtransactions than most are doing a stellar job at bringing in the pennies. Tetris with microtransactions! Real Racing with microtransactions! Plants Vs Zombies where you can buy the plants! This is the future of your EA desktop games too, no about face there, onwards they march. Competently made games with money slots for you to keep pumping those coins in. Don't stop pumping the coins in!
    Yeah, and I am not exactly happy with that and I am annoyed they got rid of Ricotellio (sp?) since most of the stuff I like about EA was done on his watch. But rather than assume the worst, I am going to stay cautiously optimistic. Because Dead Space 3 might have been microtransactions galore, but you didn't need them to enjoy the game, and I am still at the point where seeing the option only annoys me and doesn't make me stop playing.

    Also, that was a REAL shitty seven years apparently. So shit that I must have been deluding myself to enjoy about 3/4 of their new IPs :p

    They have the very same corporate mentality to studio buyouts and closures they always had, except now they can charge you with throwing together a mobile game or up until a year or so ago a facebook game for you to fail with before they do. Oh, that and all your beloved studios are already gone so they can't buy up and close them, natch.
    I think the big difference is that I just don't see a lot of the studios EA bought up having survived. Everyone always says that Introversion (Uplink guys) are creative geniuses and the like, but they are also probably the single most mismanaged company in gaming. The fact that they are still alive is AMAZING.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    EA are the same assholes with better PR agents. Fear the PR it melds your perception. The only newer games in this bundle are microtransaction platforms, same bullshit different flavour.
    If you would prefer: They are still assholes, but everyone else in the industry are too.

    And you're right, this bundle is totally about making cash on the DLC. But it is also a collection of really fun games that you can get for dirt cheap. And that money you spend on the games themselves are going to a good-ish cause. So point out the money grubbing, definitely, but still praise them for embracing the bundle mentality anyway.


    Because like I said: If EA is gonna get the same reaction no matter what they do, what is the point of even trying to not seem like evil assholes?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  8. #2488
    Pretty well put.

  9. #2489
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    I have no particular ill will to EA as a company, save their terrible digital strategy. However, they just haven't been making good games. The decline of Bioware is not wholly their fault, but they certainly aggravated the existing problems in a once great game company (partially by spreading talent too thin). I went through their metacritic list (ignoring sports games) and mediocre shines through. It took me three and a half years to get me to a game that I liked, that I didn't think was just okay.

    Crysis 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Dragon Age 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Syndicate
    Dead Space 3
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    Warp
    Shank 2
    The Old Republic
    Battlefield 3
    Alice Madness Returns
    Darkspore
    Bulletstorm
    Deathspank
    Shank
    Dante's Inferno
    DA:O Awakening - March 16, 2010.
    Mass Effect 2 - January 26, 2010.

    I haven't been playing a ton of games from this period, but I really liked Arkham City, Deus Ex HR, Fallout New Vegas, Civ V, Mark of the Ninja, Portal 2, Bastion, Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Hotline Miami, and Rayman Origins. All of those are published games. I know that there's more games right now that I haven't played yet (like Darksouls).

    It looks to me like EA has a habit of picking also-rans.

  10. #2490
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,266
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Because like I said: If EA is gonna get the same reaction no matter what they do, what is the point of even trying to not seem like evil assholes?
    Stop closing down developers who fail to meet unrealistic sale metrics which are more affected by crap marketing and terrible deadlines than developer ability.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  11. #2491
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Crysis 2*
    Mass Effect 3**
    Dragon Age 2**
    Kingdoms of Amalur**
    Syndicate±
    Dead Space 3*
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    Warp
    Shank 2
    The Old Republic
    Battlefield 3±
    Alice Madness Returns±
    Darkspore
    Bulletstorm**
    Deathspank
    Shank
    Dante's Inferno
    DA:O Awakening**
    Mass Effect 2**
    * - Games wot I played
    ** - Games wot I enjoyed
    ± - Games wot I own and look forward playin'

    No problems with EA here, based on that list. I vote with my wallet, not based on publiser. I have no problem with microtransations being present so long as they don't effect the core game. Out of the ** ones marked above, only ME3 is borderline when it comes to this. The From Ashes DLC was a bit of a dickmove, however the character of Javik was really not that necessary so you lose nothing by not having it.

  12. #2492
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    In the past five years (since 2008):
    ...
    I'm not talking about EA from the past five years when I'm talking about their IP. I'm talking about EA as they are right now. Five years is a very, very long time in gaming. I'm talking about the EA who recently announced they're working on multiple new IPs which turn out to be the old IP with either the same name or a slightly different name (Mirror's Edge:The Reboot is "a new IP"). This is not something I'm leveling at them to rubbish them, this is something they have just done. I'm talking about what's left of EA from the final year of Riccitiello to what we have now after he moved the company to a microtransaction focused company.

    This has nothing to do with whether I like the games or not, I own pretty much everything that's not Origin or console exclusive and I enjoy them. Even when Crysis 2 became a tedious slog towards the end, I still thought enough of it to buy it again when it returned "complete" to Steam. That quite a few are only -published- by EA and that's not something they're really doing anymore...

    It has taken them pretty much the entirety of Riccitiello's reign to burn off their talent, to close enough studios and to shift to money pump machine games first and worry about the rest second. And that's what I mean about creative decline. Their games have got less interesting (mechanically rather than "I think this is interesting"), less risky (unless you class egregious monetisation as a good sort of risk now?) and they're showing no signs of trying to turn it around. And why would they when you can monetise the shit out of Tetris and people pay it? There's no business incentive for them right now to do anything but. This is what they are in 2013.

    Fuck all to do with hating EA, this. Just looking at their business and going "Oh well then". But by all means, try and shift it to "YOU HATE EA LOL" if you want. It might be a laugh?

    WHY EA has to close so many studios due to failures? Because they are taking risks.
    That is not why game studios close and you know it. If you don't know that then I don't know, I can't really talk you out of that one because it's super insane.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  13. #2493
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I'm not talking about EA from the past five years when I'm talking about their IP. I'm talking about EA as they are right now. Five years is a very, very long time in gaming. I'm talking about the EA who recently announced they're working on multiple new IPs which turn out to be the old IP with either the same name or a slightly different name (Mirror's Edge:The Reboot is "a new IP"). This is not something I'm leveling at them to rubbish them, this is something they have just done. I'm talking about what's left of EA from the final year of Riccitiello to what we have now after he moved the company to a microtransaction focused company.
    So all of your complaints are about their PR? Their marketing campaign? Okay. Maybe I'm just "super insane", but I tend to ignore the bullshit execs spew and just look at the games the companies make.

    This has nothing to do with whether I like the games or not, I own pretty much everything that's not Origin or console exclusive and I enjoy them. Even when Crysis 2 became a tedious slog towards the end, I still thought enough of it to buy it again when it returned "complete" to Steam. That quite a few are only -published- by EA and that's not something they're really doing anymore...
    So your feelings toward EA don't matter at all, but you refuse to use Origin. 'kay...

    It has taken them pretty much the entirety of Riccitiello's reign to burn off their talent, to close enough studios and to shift to money pump machine games first and worry about the rest second. And that's what I mean about creative decline. Their games have got less interesting (mechanically rather than "I think this is interesting"), less risky (unless you class egregious monetisation as a good sort of risk now?) and they're showing no signs of trying to turn it around. And why would they when you can monetise the shit out of Tetris and people pay it? There's no business incentive for them right now to do anything but. This is what they are in 2013.
    Actually, I would characterize Ricotellio's reign as the best thing to happen to EA in decades. He pushed them toward new IPs and innovative approaches toward the genre staples (like it or not, BC2/Battlefield 3's heavy use of geomod really changed up the FPS formula, at least when compared to CoD). And Mirror's Edge was the kind of thing that seemed almost unheard of (and still is).

    And EA has basically had the same business model since they discovered american football and The Sims: Make a bunch of generic and iterative stuff for "casuals" so as to try riskier games for the core gamers (Spore is a good example, even though it sucked). While I see them shifting to the mobile market and microtransactions, I can't really fault them as those are VERY intelligent moves from a business standpoint, and with games like BF4, a new Dragon Age, and eventually new Mass Effects, I don't see their formula changing.

    Fuck all to do with hating EA, this. Just looking at their business and going "Oh well then". But by all means, try and shift it to "YOU HATE EA LOL" if you want. It might be a laugh?
    Fair enough. You dislike Origin and are judging a company, not by what they have done, but by what their marketing execs have said...
    Yeah, in the interest of being polite, I'll stick to the "Dudes, hate EA for what EA does, not what you wish they had" rather than delve in to that mess.



    That is not why game studios close and you know it. If you don't know that then I don't know, I can't really talk you out of that one because it's super insane.
    Please. Enlighten me. Why DO they close down game studios. Is it because they are too successful? Is it because they are too busy making the games we want to play? I mean, that is TOTALLY why DICE is dead and Blizzard got shut down a decade ago, right? :p

    Do idiotic suits have a lot to do with it? Yeah. If they told DICE to make a new horse molesting sim, there is a fairly good chance DICE would get closed down when they failed. But here is the thing: The good studios, the ones we really truly love, don't get given the shitware to make. They get given the good stuff. And they tend to pull it off. Maybe it isn't the best game ever and maybe they can't overcome the AAA production costs, but they generally manage to make damned fine games even though they have assholes breathing down their neck trying to take away creative control and they have deadlines they can't meet for whatever reason.

    The mark of a truly good anything is how much a person/entity is able to accomplish under less than optimal circumstances. If you give someone infinite money and infinite time, they can probably make something great. If you say "We need the next best FPS ever made, you have a year", then you generally see which dev teams are well managed and which ones jerk off and change their design docs every other week.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  14. #2494
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    896
    Jesus, I just don't use Origin because I don't want another client to manage. Give over.

    Riccitiello has spent the past couple of years moving EA -away- from new IP and creativity first. You're celebrating a man for doing the opposite of what you're celebrating him for. Whatever might have happened with EA to make Dead Space happen, to make Mirror's Edge happen and this AGAIN is what I'm saying, is no more. Given how long it takes to make a game and timing around announcements/release dates, I'd be surprised if the old "new IP" things you're discussing weren't grandfathered into Riccitiello's reign too.

    BUT! When Frank Gibeau says "we're working on new IP" and by that he means rebooting old IP so it's new IP, this is indicative of where the company is right now. He's not some douche marketing executive, he's the man responsible for their portfolio and what it contains. It's not an accident or a slip! This is him saying "this is what we're doing, mmmk?" So yes, I will take Frank Gibeau at his word because if anyone knows what they're talking about here, it's him. He has literally no reason to bullshit about this and it chimes with everything they've been doing in recent times and where their business currently lies.

    But you appear to have me at cross purposes. I'm talking business, you're talking haters and but they make good games and some fantasy land stuff where studios don't just get closed to increase profits elsewhere and I don't know where that comes from.
    Last edited by RobF; 24-08-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  15. #2495
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Riccitiello has spent the past couple of years moving EA -away- from new IP and creativity first. You're celebrating a man for doing the opposite of what you're celebrating him for. Whatever might have happened with EA to make Dead Space happen, to make Mirror's Edge happen and this AGAIN is what I'm saying, is no more. Given how long it takes to make a game and timing around announcements/release dates, I'd be surprised if the old "new IP" things you're discussing weren't grandfathered into Riccitiello's reign too.
    They have Titanfall on their website, so that is a new IP.

    Also: you DO realize that Mirror's Edge is happening (in some capacity) again, right?

    And ricitellio was COO from 97 to '04 and was CEO from '07 to '13. So it is kind of hard to fit every bad thing ever done around him and every good thing on others. But keep trying :p

    Also, while it is always dangerous to take what people say at face value, the fact that ricitellio was very vocal in his support of Mirror's Edge at least shows he was smart enough to know a good thing when he saw it. Especially because EA's corporate policy was largely "This game doesn't exist, go shoot stuff"

    BUT! When Frank Gibeau says "we're working on new IP" and by that he means rebooting old IP so it's new IP, this is indicative of where the company is right now. He's not some douche marketing executive, he's the man responsible for their portfolio and what it contains. It's not an accident or a slip! This is him saying "this is what we're doing, mmmk?" So yes, I will take Frank Gibeau at his word because if anyone knows what they're talking about here, it's him. He has literally no reason to bullshit about this and it chimes with everything they've been doing in recent times and where their business currently lies.
    He says they are working on new IPs. They are working on Titanfall, and that is a new IP. And, as you yourself seem so eager to claim, it takes a few years for stuff to come to fruition. So give it a year or two before we decide "EA will never make another new game, ever again"

    But you appear to have me at cross purposes. I'm talking business, you're talking haters and but they make good games and some fantasy land stuff where studios don't just get closed to increase profits elsewhere and I don't know where that comes from.
    So closing successful development studios that make games we all want to buy increases profits? Huh? What business school did you go to? I mean, if EA were the only company making games it would sort of make sense, but they need to compete against Activision and they used to have to compete against THQ, so having a few AAA titles and a bunch of mid-range titles is VERY good profit-wise (to the extent that any AAA game can be profitable, but that is a separate mess).

    Because here is the thing: If a studio is not successful, you close it. You move the devs to other studios where they can actually make games people want. I'm sorry if they close a studio you like (they've closed studios I like, but apparently I am capable of pretending the world doesn't revolve around my wants and needs), but just because you like something doesn't necessarily mean the entire world does.

    Hell, I really liked Shadowrun Returns. A significant part of the internet doesn't., A lot of reviewers don't. So as much as I want more, I also wouldn't be hugely surprised if it gets harder for that studio to secure funding in the future.


    But to actually get back to EA: They have made a LOT of really good games over the past 5-8 years. They are making some really nice ones that are due out next year. They have probably pumped out more new IPs in the past decade than any other publisher, and they are pumping out at least one new one over the next year. But apparently EA never makes anything good or new.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  16. #2496
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    896
    They have Titanfall on their website, so that is a new IP.
    They do and Respawn were signed 3 years ago and EA were hardly going to net West and Zampella by making them work on an existing IP. But you're confusing the odd isolated and strategic incident with the course of the company as a whole. But as a small note, EA Partners (the program that Titanfall was signed under) is now on a hiatus for PC and console games beeecause EA are shifting their operations away from that sort of thing.

    So it is kind of hard to fit every bad thing ever done around him and every good thing on others. But keep trying
    I'm not trying to do that. I'm saying that the games, given how long games take to make, would have been greenlit and grandfathered into his watch in all likelihood. I don't know how you get from that to me crediting others with his work or trying to steal his glory or whatever it is you're doing there.

    He says they are working on new IPs
    He says they are working on old IP that they're counting as new IP because they're rebooting it. That's what he said. With his mouth. It's the part I'm talking about in particular. I'm not saying they'll never make a new game again. Who knows what'll happen when they get a new CEO? Who knows if there's a couple of other rare strategic decisions like Respawn waiting in the wings that no-one knows about? I don't. But they've wound down their publishing outside mobile, EA Partners isn't what it was, look at their releases over the past year or so, look at the releases we're expecting through to 2014. It's not looking great right now in the creative stakes! It's looking fantastic in that "thing you played before but now with microtransactions!" stakes though.

    Any way you look at it, the EA that fostered Mirror's Edge:The First, Dead Space:The First and Dragon Age:The First is not present and correct right now. There is nothing to indicate it is. It'd be lovely if there was because wouldn't some new games be lovely? I'd like that.

    Because here is the thing: If a studio is not successful, you close it.
    This is just simply not how it works in the main. Plenty of successful studios get shuttered whilst they are still successful. Big problem here though is that what you count as successful is "they make good games" and "they make money!" but successful to a company like EA or Activision is relative and what it's relative to can change easily. Maybe a corp just doesn't want to support that sort of game anymore and it's no longer going to be a part of their portfolio? Maybe they really just do want to put more money into a HotNewSocialSystem and that's got to come from somewhere so let's have a look at that list of who we've got again...

    Running a studio costs money. Running an AAA studio, lots of money. If someone sits there and decides that they can make more money by redirecting the money from one studio to elsewhere then that is what they'll do. Sometimes they'll nudge the studio along the path to failure so it looks a bit less bad from the outside, maybe saddle the studio with a lame duck of a licensed game as their next game and you're not in a position to say no because who pays your bills?, maybe it's milestones being paid late, maybe it's just interfering because hey, who'll know someone interfered, right? But why bother with all that when often, a corp can just shutter the studio and maybe move that spend into mobile or move that spend into your new Facebook studio which is making $1m a week instead of $1m over a month?

    You're assuming that good game=studio open because good game and this is business and business is cold and often only cares about numbers on a spreadsheet that could be higher.

    Lots and lots of reasons and "they made good games" is fairly low on the list.
    Last edited by RobF; 25-08-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  17. #2497
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post

    Chains has been added to the IndieRoyale Prairie Dog Bundle.

    http://www.indieroyale.com
    Chains is weirdly really good. I know it's gone for about 5 pence in Steam sales in the past and it is incredibly rudimentary in the looks department but it's really smart and worth looking at.

    It might look like a bit of a manky add on but it's quite funky in its own "let's do this now! and now, let's do this! and this!" kind of way. I like it!
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  18. #2498
    Lesser Hivemind Node sinomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    786
    I really enjoyed chains too. It's very much a low-key sort of affair, but strangely fun, with a great soundtrack (which you can get here should you wish). It's available in the groupees meridian 4 bundle thing at the moment too.

  19. #2499
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,352
    The 39 Steps has finally unlocked, while the Build a Meridian4 Megabundle has added Obulis and Greed: Black Border as bonus games, next up (finally not a repeat): Biology Battle.

    http://groupees.com/bm9
    http://groupees.com/bamm
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  20. #2500
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    It's a bit churlish, but groupees has never unlocked music I've liked.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •