Page 34 of 268 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Rochard is the only game I don't have, which also means I'm not particularly thrilled by this bundle. The DustForce OST, on the other hand, looks delicious; Do I have to BTA to get the OST? I'm guessing yes, but I'd rather ask.

I bought the Humble Bundle pretty fast. SPAZ is the only one in the bundle I owned, and I'd been eyeing Vessel for a long time, interested in Dustforce up until it pretty much never went on sale, and I've heard good thing about Rochard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    A great humble bundle, of course I own all of it except dust force which I don't care about.

A word on Rochard yes it 'deteriorates' into an action game near the end but I found the change of pace refreshing.

But then, I never really got stuck on the combat.

Spaz is a love letter to space trader (elite, X series) games wrapped up in a freeform 2D shooter.

Torchlight like diablo 2 is an aged relic that causes RSI and forces pathetically limited choices on you. So do you want summons or to be underpowered?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I have a couple but I've been hoping for some of these titles to show up in a bundle. HIB definitely has a great line up this time too.

On a sidenote, IFK has gone desperate and is offering the full bundle for 1$ for 24 hours.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I might buy the IFK bundle at that price. Anyone want to talk me out of it? :P

I'd rather spend that dollar on a copy of BiaB2 instead and give it to a friend :P
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Vessel is lovely. Maybe the only puzzler other than Portal to get an emotional reaction from me. The platforming's a bit finnicky at points, but the atmosphere is quite well crafted and the puzzles give a rare sense of achievement. The soundtrack is especially superb, and used to just the right effect. The bundle's worth it for that one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    The bundle's worth it for that one alone.
    To tell you the truth I'm mildly surprised it's not the BTA game instead of Dustforce. I can only assume my tastes do not line up with those of the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    To tell you the truth I'm mildly surprised it's not the BTA game instead of Dustforce. I can only assume my tastes do not line up with those of the majority.
    Well, having played it now, I like Dustforce, and you can tell it's all about how fast you can finish the level and how long you can hold your combo, but I'm pretty surprised it's the BTA, as well.

Might be because Vessel's been on sale a lot though. The creator might have just sort of just figured "ah, why the hell not?" I don't think Dustforce has ever gone on sale.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Dustforce is either very CPU-dependent or just runs poorly on my machine, but it is nigh unplayable for me. Too much slowdown and stutter. I think it is poor optimization of the GameMaker engine or whatever, as other 2D platformers play smooth as silk, including the Rayman Origins demo.

Anyway just chiming in to bore you all with the fact that I won't be buying this bundle because I already own all games :(

Dustforce's commercial version doesn't run on GameMaker

What's more, it runs really really smooth on my computer, and I only have an AMD Radeon HD 4670.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    Dustforce's commercial version doesn't run on GameMaker

What's more, it runs really really smooth on my computer, and I only have an AMD Radeon HD 4670.
    Mine is an AMD Radeon HD 5750, but my CPU is an AMD Athlon X2 5000+. I think it's a CPU bottleneck of some sort. Or some general incompatibility. Otherwise I can't explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Mine is an AMD Radeon HD 5750, but my CPU is an AMD Athlon X2 5000+. I think it's a CPU bottleneck of some sort. Or some general incompatibility. Otherwise I can't explain it.
    3.1GHz Intel i3. 4 GB RAM. Pretty much exactly what's needed. It's a Mac with Win8 RC running on it.

Posted this on the GOG forums. Thought someone might be interested to hear about it, since the bundle only has 2000 sales right now.

Note: I thought the bundle was totally worth the trade I put into it (and the first BiaB bundle with it) just for DRM. And it is more worth it for anyone that doesn't have Dark Scavenger. And remember that these games are only a single dollar. I don't know about Miner Wars or the robot one, but they didn't look all that interesting to me.

So, I got the non-BTA version in a trade earlier today.
    I like DRM. It's pretty awesome, and a very finely-tuned challenge. It's a bit blinding though.

Dark Scavenger is pretty awesome too, but I already had it.

However...

I don't get Space Giraffe. It told me what I was doing, I shot the enemies, I rammed into the ones that made it to the edge of the power area thing-a-majig, and I just don't get what's happening. Sometimes the power area becomes larger, sometimes it becomes smaller, and overall, I just don't get why, or why it's important to make the power area larger. Or what exactly it is. Or why the enemies would be coming out of it, when it's supposedly a good thing.

The "giraffe" also looks nothing like a giraffe. Only vaguely does the shape even resemble a giraffe's head. I'd have guessed a deer long before a giraffe.

Oh, and from the viewing angle they give you, it is really, really hard to see what's going on at times. Not to mention it runs in a tiny, approx. 800x600 window, and all of the art is done in lines like a pixel thin, with an extremely small amount of glow/bloom, and absolutely no thickness at all, for the most part. And pretty much everything is put in pretty much the same shade of yellow, so it blurs together a bit.

I also don't get why it needs more than one tutorial level when it's so simplistic (or is it? I gave up mid-way through the second tutorial). Or what was going on at times in the tutorial. Sometimes it'd say something, it'd hang there like it was waiting for me to complete the action it said I could do, and then it'd move on without me ever really knowing what I did or how I got it to progress. Other times, it waited like 2 minutes between messages when I'd repeatedly completed the requested action.

/rant_about_space_giraffe

Armalyte looks really cool, but I haven't played it much yet. I was a bit confused as to why the graphics didn't look all C64-y, but I guess they didn't retain the graphical integrity in the port. I had been under the impression it was just run on an emulator, but re-reading it, it seems it was a full-on port with new graphics and all.

I did try it once though and it kicked my ass a bit.

And then there's the Wreckless. Ugh. I was looking forward to it due to the favorable Wing Commander comparisons, but man, I barely made it past the tutorial. I will probably try again later, because I at least want to partake in the "large scale battles" before putting it aside forever, but I'll at least tell you why I'm so "ugh" about it.

First off, they drop you straight into a cinematic with quite a bit of dull conversation. Pretty much just telling you you're in a drone that you're not actually inside. And by "drop you straight into a cinematic", I mean before the main menu.

Second, the actual menu for mission selection didn't make a whole lot of sense. It took me a while to realize I could select the group of drones I was going to be in. That and it doesn't really give you an indication of how far into the game you are from what I can tell, just that it's another mission. Oh, and remember that drone you pilot in the first cinematic? Not in the tutorial, which struck me as really, really odd.

Third, alright, yes, it has some form of Newtonian physics implemented, but it's pretty much shot to hell by the fact that:

a. You can come to a full stop by pressing a button, rather than being forced to find the exact equilibrium by turning your ship 180 degrees and turning on the thrusters.

b. When you turn your ship, it doesn't rotate on some point around your ship's center axis, like you'd expect it to, it rotates on the center axis of an invisible sphere attached to your ship's back end.

Oh, and then there's the fact that they have the targets leading in front of your currently selected target to give you an idea of where to aim, right? Well, they're annoyingly bright solid-colored purple boxes with a purple tube attached to them that runs from the box to the ship. Oh, and they don't scale for distance. That's right, if your opponent is 5 km away, that box will not scale. It will be invisible. And if he's in your face, it will probably take up a decent portion of your screen (haven't had that issue yet).

So yeah, ugh.

Oh, and I know I posted something about not liking SOL at all before. Mainly, though, it's due to the impossibly weird control scheme that I'm pretty sure you can't customize.

EDIT: Oh, vote for Cyberganked.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed DRM. I'll be doing some customisation stuff in the next update so you can tune it down a tad, then it's extending the game a bit. Holiday first though. :D

Space Giraffe is the most frustratingly stupid to parse amazing game around and the tutorial is one of the worst I've ever seen. I'll try and translate it into English because it's really fantastic once you get to grips with it.

The general aim is obviously to shoot some enemies. You can get by and play the entire game by doing this. It'll make it stupidly hard towards the end but it can be done.

Except with Space Giraffe, it's kinda not what you need to do. Ideally and to score big you want to let the enemies reach the end of the web where you reside.

Then you can start at one end and rush to the other knocking loads of them off for massive points.

It's absolutely counter to what most games teach you to do but in Space Giraffe, you -want- the enemies to reach the end, you want loads of them there next to you. This is what Space Giraffe calls "bulling". But! If the power zone isn't active, they kill you. So you have to kill some of them or collect power ups to keep that going.

You also don't destroy enemy bullets, you bounce them off the screen so you end up in a crazy bullet pong and then there's the flowers (the green lines) which have a slightly different behaviour each time they appear. They grow from one end of the web to stick out at your end blocking you from easily knocking other enemies off the web (and killing you if you run into them).

That's the game at its heart. It's about creating noise and learning to see through that noise, and at one point, learning that you don't even really need to look at the screen to complete levels as the audio cues tell you everything you'll need to survive. It's fairly masterful in so many ways but utterly, utterly crap at teaching people how to play it in words.

(incidentally, I think the rest of my stuff gets added to BIAB today or tomorrow for those who don't already have it)
    Last edited by RobF; 19-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed DRM. I'll be doing some customisation stuff in the next update so you can tune it down a tad, then it's extending the game a bit. Holiday first though. :D
    Ah, that'll be good. I usually wouldn't mind, but the entire first second or two of actual play is covered in bright lights and I've run into enemies a bunch of times during that.

Space Giraffe...
    It makes a lot more sense when written that way. I'll have to try it again later.

(incidentally, I think the rest of my stuff gets added to BIAB today or tomorrow for those who don't already have it)
    I actually bought the bundle on your site recently, so I already have em. I liked FISHFISHBANGBANG probably more than I liked the SYNSOs. Hoping it gets finished someday.

And why was George's Squizzy Griffin never finished? Seems pretty good. It really captures the feel of some retro platformers.

Oh, and question for anyone that can answer: Are Robot Riot and/or Miner Wars worth rebuying the bundle at the minimum BTA price for? I figure the Armalyte extras are just...well, extra, and I already have SOL.
    Last edited by johnki; 19-09-2012 at 01:09 PM.

IG 9 is live, these guys are relentless!!!

Battle Group, Call of Cthulhu, Worms, Alien Breed 2. BTA: Broken Sword trilogy, Worms Blast, Worms Crazy Golf and 2 secret unlocks

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    IG 9 is live, these guys are relentless!!!

Battle Group, Call of Cthulhu, Worms, Alien Breed 2. BTA: Broken Sword trilogy, Worms Blast, Worms Crazy Golf and 2 secret unlocks
    I wholeheartedly recommend this.

There's a rumor that Worms Pinball and Alien Breed 3 are the unlocks.

But yeah, this is a great chance to grab Broken Sword and a big chunk of the Worms games. I wish Armageddon or World Party were in there, but oh well. It's a really good bundle as is.

I think my only real complaint about it is that there isn't a PC version of Call of Cthulhu included.

Yawn. The only thing I could be interested in is the Broken Sword trilogy and that could be had for much less than the BTA price from Steam. It's far from being their worst offering but another pass for me.

Bagfull of Wrong (edit: and War Mac 2000) unlocked.

Also, forgot to mention an Avencast key has been granted for every purchase of Groupees' BaB3.
    Last edited by alms; 20-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.