Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA BOOMB NEEEEEEEE-OWWWW! [IL-2 1946, anybody?]

Right, so between the Space-/flightsims? thread and my bumping into Egg651 and Harlander on the RPS chat room, we thought we'd better do a headcount of who'd be up for some Il-2 1946 multiplayer shennanigans of some description, and possibly just a note of your experience and what sort of settings you play on.

I'm happy to fly on whatever settings, but myself usually do full real except for forced cockpit view (cockpit view on my monitor gives me about an A4 piece of paper's worth of space, and real pilots didn't have to fly looking through two letterboxes) and map icons.

Network Hub
    Yes. asdasdasd

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    Yes. asdasdasd
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes. NNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWW DAKAKAKAKAAKAKKAAKAKAKAKAK RATTATATATATATAT
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

EAAAAAAOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA KABOOOOOSH EIIIIIAAAAAAOOOOOOWWWWWWM

So, yes.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

I might be up for some of this, though I'm concerned that the group's dynamics are slowly trending towards a majority of people with even the slightest amount of competence

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    I might be up for some of this, though I'm concerned that the group's dynamics are slowly trending towards a majority of people with even the slightest amount of competence
    Perhaps we should set a date for training/practice? It would probably be good to at least be able to rely on people not crashing on take off at the start of the mission; if anything just so that people can be guaranteed to actually get some action. Might be useful for those more confident to get some practice in with more complicated stuff like carrier landings and handling finnicky aircraft.

Once we can all handle the basics, I'd really love to have a go at a co-op dynamic campaign. Once I get the hang of the DCG I should be able to set one up where we don't have to fly for miles to get in to the action; probably in the pacific theatre.

Oh and by the way, we can use the ARPS mumble server at server.herosquad.org for VOIP.

That's not a bad shout. I think, with notice, I can make any week day next week, but to get the ball rolling what about Monday night?

Re: a practice session, I've only started playing again in the last month - hadn't played much after 4.09m so I've missed all this mods malarky - when a friend of mine, new to flight sims, expressed an interest, so he's still kinda shaky as well. I'm not too good with the full mission builder, but I put together a map for him to get used to things on - it has one airbase with combat planes that's near enemy airbases with patrolling fighters and ground targets to hit, another with jets and things on it, and another mid-air spawn point over an island with two carriers circling it for aircraft with arrester hooks for practicing carrier landings. I could smarten it up a bit and we could use that for a practice.

I've also tried the 'Ultrapack' mod that somebody mentioned as being pretty standard for Il-2 nowadays. It looks pretty good - there's an absolutely enormous amount of new content in it every plane and map you'd need for the Battle of Britain, the Korean war, Spanish Civil War, loads of other maps and planes, better AI, more objects... Some of it's a bit dodgy - I think some of the AI -> flyable conversions are iffy (the Me-323 seems very, uh, sprightly for an aircraft its size), some of the maps are just outlines of coastlines (Denmark), some of the entirely new content seems sub-par (it has the ugilest Lancaster I've ever seen), but there's easily enough good stuff in there to have it. Probably have the practice session on vanilla Il-2 1946, but I think we'd do well to have it for further multiplayer.

Hear hear about the co-op dynamic campaign - I think that's where I'd like to end up with it too. I've got an awful lot of how-to reading to do around the full mission builder, dogfight servers and the like - should be awesome once we have it all figured out.

Oh oh oh - and it's got several recon/liason aircraft (Fi-156, Stinson L-5, U-2) which with low fuel are still airborn at about 50mph - my friend and I have developed a new game of flying through French towns at less than 50ft without breaking any traffic laws.
    Last edited by Capt. Eduardo del Mango; 15-03-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Whilst Ultrapack is cool, I'm not convinced as to whether we should use it for these sessions. Updating to the latest version is enough of a faff already for some people, without having to bother with huge mod downloads on the side. Maybe we could try it some other time, but for now I think vanilla 1946 has plenty of untouched content for us.

One extra download I should mention is Hyperlobby, which is an ugly multiplayer lobby system for various flight sim games (but mostly for 1946). It does, however, have the advantage of actually working; compared to the built in multiplayer system which can be a bit hit and miss.

On the mission front, Head, Strang and I had a go with the DCG the other day and it works pretty well. It definitely will need some tweaking though. As for normal co-op missions, there's a massive repository at mission4today.

You're probably right about UltraPack - what's already there in Il-2 is more than enough content, and given the hassle, size of the Ultrapack download, etc... Yep - no need to complicate things and I'll leave the campaign missions in your capable hands.

I neglected to add you lot on Steam when we were in chat a few days back - endeavouring to hunt you down now. Harlander - if you want to add me, I'd be more than happy to start up a practice server if I see you around and we've both got a spare half hour.

Obscure Node
    chakachakachakachakachakachakachakachakachakachaka chaka boom!!!