Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Good first person shooter for a newbie?

So I've never really liked the whole FPS genre. Atleast I thought I didn't . However, thinking about it recently I realize that I haven't really given it a chance. I've played a hell of a lot of RPGs, various strategy and action/adventure/platform games and spent way too much time playing MMOs, but thinking about it I've never actually finished a singleplayer FPS. I've never spent more than an hour or so playing a multiplayer one. So this lead to thinking maybe I just hate the genre but maybe I just decided that a long time ago with out giving it a chance.

So I thought I would give playing one a shot and I ask: for someone who has practically never played a first-person shooter before, what do you recommend playing? (for PC, either singleplayer or multiplayer, old or new)

Network Hub
    The first Deus Ex. You can get it on GOG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Ohhh man, I wish I was in your shoes. I think you should keep it simple and go for Half-Life.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Binary domain;
    The story will keep you going for sure.

The shooting itself is also a lot of fun, terrible port controls wise (tip: turn aiming sensitivity down or the shitty negative mouse acceleration will make it impossible to aim) but still my favorite 3rd person shooter ever made. (yeye it's third person not first person)
    Give it an hour to click because for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to make the first level play like a gears of war clone.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with half life 2 , story to keep you entertained , good gunplay, good gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Half-life.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

I'd say XIII, as it is quite simple and has a cool story (in my opinion), but then I remembered that there were those sneaky elements in there that sometimes were a bit difficult to get through. Also some of the bosses gave me lots of trouble.
    Forum janitor in training.

F.E.A.R.

Team Fortress 2

Metro 2033

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Might get some flak for it, but Halo is a great a fps for someone who's never played one before. Not too difficult, with a very balanced difficulty curve, as it was on of the first to implement a lot of the "ease of use" features that are now common, like a regenerating shield, a mini-radar, dedicated grenade and melee buttons and so on; it also combines a lot of elements that you find in various other fps games: you can get long range combat, close range corridor shooting, and vehicle and stealthy bits that won't make you pull your hair out. And the story is decent enough to make you give a shit about it.
    Last edited by agentorange; 27-07-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Yeah, I think Halo's a good place to start if anyone's new to the genre. The first one's aint half bad as a lot of people make it out to be, especially the singleplayer mode.

If you want something a bit harder, and a bit faster there's always Half-Life.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    These people are insane, additionally: out if touch.

Look, Deus Ex frustrated me so much I quit it for years, Halflife 1 is so terrible in places and you need to quick save like a boss.

A good first FPS? Portal 1. Why? Because you can learn to move without needing to learn how to shoot on the move.

Garrys Mod, if you have a creative streak and friends into it, it can be intoxicating, no winning, no losing, just balloons attached to Dr Breen.

Bioshock 1, you don't need to quick save, reload or worry about anything ammo wise "Mr Wrench is up to the task".

Note: I've already indoctrinated 2 people using these 3.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Doom. It makes sense to start from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Look, Deus Ex frustrated me so much I quit it for years
    Mid-point through the first level he'll never want to play an FPS again. I'm sick of Deus Ex being recommended where it doesn't belong, great overall game though it may be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Half Life 2 - its much better then its predecessor, but does not require you to have played the first game at all (Every main character in Half Life 2 is a fleshed out and unique version of the dozens of identical NPCs you'd meet in Half Life 1 - Really, y ou don't miss anything).

Crysis 2 is a lot of fun too. Its quite a bit like Halo and Half Life 2, but you have this awesome suit, and bigger levels, without it getting too daunting for newcomers (it explains everything very neatly).

As for multiplayer: team Fortress 2. It was basically designed with you in mind - its very easy to learn.

I'd say Half-Life 2, Bioshock or Prey.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Call of Duty IV: Modern Warfare

Metro 2033

Doom - with Brutal Doom mod

A good first FPS? Portal 1. Why? Because you can learn to move without needing to learn how to shoot on the move.
    That's a pretty good point, actually, especially for a beginner.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    That's a pretty good point, actually, especially for a beginner.
    If the OP is an experienced gamer [and has played FPS games before, however briefly] it's probably not a skill they require teaching.

Bioshock and F.E.A.R are my recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzog View Post
    Doom - with Brutal Doom mod
    Doom and Doom II,
    then get Skulltag,
    then get Brutal Doom

Then have problems playing any other FPS afterwards as everything seems dull in comparison.

Obscure Node
    Duke 3D if you want a fun world and a reasonable challenge.
    Doom if you want to get a solid grounding in FPS. The range of challenge is good and if you use brutal doom and skulltag you'll have a riot.
    Quake's good if you want something a bit harder, the multiplayer ought to still be active as well.

Look, Deus Ex frustrated me so much I quit it for years, Halflife 1 is so terrible in places and you need to quick save like a boss.

I pretty much came in to say this. Go with Portal. It's a great game in it's own right and it will teach you the basics of the genre without being frustrating.

HL1 and DX are a bit too old school and unforgiving to be someone's 1st FPS. They are both amazing games however that should be experienced by everyone sooner or later. In this case later because he/she is a newbie.

Also if you want an online FPS then Team Fortress 2 is the perfect place to start.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.