Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Aye, I downloaded the latest demo. Whenever I move-and-attack something I am forced to move in a straight line directly towards them (I guess all movement is in straight lines, but the line of attack is always the shortest line, sometimes I'd rather attack down a longer line); is this a deliberate restriction or have I just not worked out how to do something more elaborate?
    Last edited by NathanH; 16-03-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Demiath View Post
    Harsh and unnecessary. Age of Fear is in fact a great little turn-based tactical war game ("strategy game" might be somewhat misleading as the focus is squarely on comparatively small-scale military encounters) with a very respectable AI and a great deal of content included for such a low price. The good Les might not be an expert salesman or a master of the English vernacular (though when it comes to customer support and listening to suggestions about how to improve the game he is very service-minded), but for those of us with an interest in the niche genre in question there's much to like about AoF.
    I do like turn based wargames, warlords DR is probably one of my favourite games ever but this is just a weak and amateurish wargame imo. I was being sincere and said what I thought. There are shitloads of better (indie and not so indie) games out there that never got mentioned in RPS so seeing the creator all butthurt because his game didn't make the cut is an insult to all the others. Just my thoughts.

Obscure Node
    Aye, I downloaded the latest demo. Whenever I move-and-attack something I am forced to move in a straight line directly towards them (I guess all movement is in straight lines, but the line of attack is always the shortest line, sometimes I'd rather attack down a longer line); is this a deliberate restriction or have I just not worked out how to do something more elaborate?
    For melee attacks you can first move (click on ground) and then melee attack (click on target - must be in melee range).
    For ranged attacks and magic you cannot move before attacking.

I do like turn based wargames, warlords DR is probably one of my favourite games ever but this is just a weak and amateurish wargame imo. I was being sincere and said what I thought. There are shitloads of better (indie and not so indie) games out there that never got mentioned in RPS so seeing the creator all butthurt because his game didn't make the cut is an insult to all the others. Just my thoughts.
    Let's do it like this - I will give you free license key and you will first complete our game and then you write some objective review (where you compare it with other games indie or non-indie) and post it here or Metacritic, ok?

Take care,
    Les
    Last edited by Les; 18-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Obscure Node
    Almost forgot - there is glitch with graphic on Windows:
    http://www.age-of-fear.net/index.php...itches-windows

It will be fixed in next release.

Les

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Age of Fear: The Undead King is a fantasy turn-based strategy.
    Lies.

Proof:
    Fantasy turn-based strategy games don't exist.

Hm, I don't know if anyone else have this problem but I can't install the demo on Linux. It depends on sun-java-jre6-package which, simply put, doesn't exist in Ubuntu's repositories, and as such installation fails every time.

Obscure Node
    Looks like Sun's java has been dropped from Ubuntu repositories - I will fix packages for general java, meanwhile try this:
    http://www.clickonf5.org/7777/how-in...untu-1004-lts/

Edit:
    Added topic in FAQ section of forum:
    http://www.age-of-fear.net/index.php...buntu?Itemid=0

I will fix it asap. Thanks for info!
    Les
    Last edited by Les; 20-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Obscure Node
    Demo Linux package is fixed. Now it refers to openjdk-6-jre (default Ubuntu Java)
    In an 1-2 hours I will also finish uploading full package.

Edit:
    Both versions fixed. Sorry for this bug :-(
    Last edited by Les; 21-03-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Let's do it like this - I will give you free license key and you will first complete our game and then you write some objective review (where you compare it with other games indie or non-indie) and post it here or Metacritic, ok?

Take care,
    Les
    I appreciate the offer but I can't guarantee I'll be able to review it anytime soon as I work as an writer for another site and I already have two games to review until next week. Thanks for the offer though.

Obscure Node
    I have PM-ed license key to your profile. Let me know if you have any problems running game.

I work as an writer for another site and I already have two games to review until next week.
    That's good. Means you are doing this professionally and you will not have problems with words selection :-)
    Which site if I may ask?

There are shitloads of better (indie and not so indie) games out there that never got mentioned in RPS so seeing the creator all butthurt because his game didn't make the cut is an insult to all the others. Just my thoughts.
    Well, as for me if you post words like those, you should at least check the game thoughtfully. Now is your chance.

I also wonder what games will you compare to - there are not so many pure tactical TBS games (I am not talking about HOMM series where 999 dragons kill 10 peasants).

Take care,
    Les
    Last edited by Les; 21-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.

I have PM-ed license key to your profile. Let me know if you have any problems running game.

That's good. Means you are doing this professionally and you will not have problems with words selection :-)
    Which site if I may ask?

Well, as for me if you post words like those, you should at least check the game thoughtfully. Now is your chance.

I also wonder what games will you compare to - there are not so many pure tactical TBS games (I am not talking about HOMM series where 999 dragons kill 10 peasants).

Take care,
    Les
    Depends on what you mean by "professionally". I get paid on a per-article basis but I don't work on it full time.
    I won't mention which site I write for as I prefer to leave them out of this. What I said is my personal opinion and if my experience taught me anything is that people have a tendency to think the opinion of one writer is inherently shared by the whole staff. I will take a look at your game but I can't guarantee anything. If I get to write something about it I'll let you know. Thanks

Obscure Node
    Hi all,

As Mr.Doo is writing his review, I would like to share few screenshots from incoming sequel Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lord (work in progress):

AOF-20120422a.jpgAOF-20120422b.jpgAOF-20120422c.jpg
    (resized, full images in link below)

More information here:
    http://www.age-of-fear.net/index.php...rk-in-progress

All of best,
    Les
    Last edited by Les; 22-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A couple of little things that would make handling the Undead army much more pleasant in a campaign:

- When a battle is won, have a "raise all corpses" option.
    - Allow selection of a group of units in the army management screen, allowing you to disband them all at once (because if you raise all corpses then your army is usually too big) instead of one-by-one.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Obscure Node
    - When a battle is won, have a "raise all corpses" option.
    Should be easy to do.

- Allow selection of a group of units in the army management screen, allowing you to disband them all at once (because if you raise all corpses then your army is usually too big) instead of one-by-one.
    It may be painful. The list is single-select now - I will need to check what is required to refactor to make it multi-select.

Thanks!

[ROBOT VOICE]your base are belong to us[/ROBOT VOICE]

BTW, does anyone know how much you have to pay to RPS staff to get at least a note there?
    I mailed them like 10 times already, but they still are busy about posting 134867th note about Notch.
    Wow, a comment like THIS makes me want to play your games :rolleyes:

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    Wow, a comment like THIS makes me want to play your games :rolleyes:
    Mel Gibson made Braveheart but acts like a douche in real life. Does one misfired comment in a forum by a creator strip all merit from a game that was previously released and fairly well reviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Mel Gibson made Braveheart but acts like a douche in real life. Does one misfired comment in a forum by a creator strip all merit from a game that was previously released and fairly well reviewed?
    Yes, yes it does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Why are people so offended by this? Is this some kind of culture thing I don't get?

So after playing the demo: it's certainly interesting. I liked the theme, combat might be surprisingly complex in human vs. human because of quite a lot of positioning fiddling and possibilities.

One thing that needs insta-improving though is the sounds - *ploink!* sound effects for menu don't fit; hit sounds could be better too.
    -

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    I do like a protagonist who is unapologetically evil. Hopefully there isn't a "SHOCKING TWIST!!" half way through the story that causes him to become a saint. The combat is pretty solid, reminds me of King's Bounty with the hexes taken away; in keeping with that it also feels a bit too simple, with a not lot of attack variety, but I assume that changes as you unlock more units and have to deal with more difficult scenarios.