Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

So, Forbes is kind of starting to become one of my favourite gaming sites...

They seem to be getting more and more critical, sometimes thought provoking articles in regards to the gaming industry, a feat that seems to become rarer throughout gaming media altogether and (on certain issues) even on RPS.

Been reading some of their articles for a few months, but most notably I started noticing them more often in regards to the entire EA and Mass Effect controversy.

For instance they had an article in regards to the "Jenniffer Hepler" incident that wasn't just one-sided bile and hate but tried to critically analyze it (at least somewhat):
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...er-harassment/

Then there was an article in regards to the DLC issue that also wasn't onesided drivel and tries to both analyze the consumer and publisher side of things:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...-damn-fault-2/

And they've been following up ever since with new Mass Effect related articles in the same style:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...mass-effect-3/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...lc-from-ashes/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ready-on-disc/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...mass-effect-3/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...c-controversy/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...good-business/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...fect-3-ending/

As well as regarding Kickstarter and other issues like this "gamer entitlement" thing that both publishers and a large part of the gaming media seem to push lately:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...ncing-forever/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...r-entitlement/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ss-like-games/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ever-kill-you/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...sive-pc-games/

Of course there's also some of differing quality and others that are more based on the business side of it or "social" gaming, but it is definitely one to look out for, now if it wouldn't be such a pain to browse xD

Banned
    This guy does not know what fan service is. ._.

I was expecting an article on how you make more money by having your characters flash their underwear or something.

No mention of this makes me a sad Lewie:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...game-group-uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    A number of these articles read like the writers just got back from slumming it at Reddit for a while.

Sort of a "customer is always right" mantra, even when the customers' views themselves are nebulous and self-contradictory. But scandal sells.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    The views endorsed in these write-ups are pretty standard and held by most people who play the usual mainstream fare. They read like they were written by gamers with some basic writing skills; something you or I could pull off. Preaching to the choir, basically.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Interesting stuff Dexter, thanks for the heads up. I'd say the articles are quite reasoned. Not too sure why there's the 'hate' wagon above me tbh.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Not too sure why there's the 'hate' wagon above me tbh.
    Difference of opinion. They are allowed, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Since Forbes doesn't give a shit about game company advertising and keeping good relations with game companies, the writers have more leeway, which means better writing. Moreover, their audience is, by-in-large, more mature and less angry than some in the gaming community...makes for a nice alternative.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I too enjoy Forbes' opinion on games and gaming. From time to time one can find very sensible articles regarding gaming there. Also, as someone else said...they don't make their bread and butter from gaming reviews and need not concern themselves with whether or not a Publisher likes their review. Which makes them a good source of unbiased, or less biased, opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Difference of opinion. They are allowed, you know.
    There's such a thing as constructive criticism. Blanket dismissing the writing as well as the audience says more about the poster than the site.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

There's such a thing as constructive criticism. Blanket dismissing the writing as well as the audience says more about the poster than the site.
    I cringe every time CNN replaces reporting with regurgitating whatever the internet is angry about at that moment. Angry Internet Mans is not the vox populi. It's base yellow journalism.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Sort of a "customer is always right" mantra
    Quote Originally Posted by karthink View Post
    The views endorsed in these write-ups are pretty standard and held by most people who play the usual mainstream fare. They read like they were written by gamers with some basic writing skills; something you or I could pull off. Preaching to the choir, basically.
    God forbid that gaming media pick up on concerns of the gamers and report or investigate on them instead of acting solely as a extension of PR and advertising venue, right?
    The sad thing about it is that it needs Forbes or people like TotalBiscuit etc. to do it, who has been doing similar things lately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=0sYp-eggD1Q#t=649s

And the customer is "always right", they are putting out the money towards the gaming industry, they have a right to decide what kind of products are going to be made and what kind of business practices are acceptable or not (not the publishers), and luckily more and more people seem to realize that lately with these wonderful things like Indie development, Kickstarters, the rise of Digital Distribution etc. all happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    And the customer is "always right", they are putting out the money towards the gaming industry, they have a right to decide what kind of products are going to be made and what kind of business practices are acceptable or not (not the publishers), and luckily more and more people seem to realize that lately with these wonderful things like Indie development, Kickstarters, the rise of Digital Distribution etc. all happening.
    They've also spent more money on games despite all those evil business practices. The internet hyperbolizes anger. It broadcasts whomever's the loudest. Don't confuse it for popular opinion.

To quote Shakespeare, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Activated Node
    Are you telling me the people who buy games from companies who endorse bad business practices are the same ones who condemn then? Because that's a very one dimensional view of things. Kind of like your view on the Forbes articles to begin with. It's discrediting those who have a consumer backbone and bunching them up with the rest of the shills who can't control themselves from playing the games from the developers/publishers they despise.
    Last edited by Abacus Finch; 15-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I cringe every time CNN replaces reporting with regurgitating whatever the internet is angry about at that moment. Angry Internet Mans is not the vox populi. It's base yellow journalism.
    Then where does that leave gaming sites like RPS for example? I mean jez we'll get a whole article about one dude getting his account suspended on Steam as if that's the first sign of the apocalypse. If you're going to damn sites like Forbes then you should be wailing on the RPS, Kotakus and Destructoids even more if that's your yard stick of yellow journalism.

Probable Replicant

They've also spent more money on games despite all those evil business practices. The internet hyperbolizes anger. It broadcasts whomever's the loudest. Don't confuse it for popular opinion.

Another part of the problem is that a number of those who complain about this or that thing a publisher has done to outrage them still buy the game after. It's a lot of noisy complaining by people with no backbone. I do think consumers should express their displeasure with a given product should it arise, but they shouldn't just bitch about it. They need to follow through and not buy the thing. It's only when a publisher sees a noticeable reduction of income from said product that they clue in and think, "Hmmm, our audience doesn't much seem to want to buy that thing."

Sadly, though, I've seen countless people complain about a game that does something they don't like only to buy it anyway. All that their actions are doing is telling publishers that they are a-okay being walked all over, and that all the vocalizing of their displeasure is ultimately meaningless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I'm fairly sure that doesn't apply in this situation, except literally. =P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

If you're going to damn sites like Forbes then you should be wailing on the RPS, Kotakus and Destructoids even more if that's your yard stick of yellow journalism.
    Who said I wasn't? I think all games journalism is hopelessly tainted. "Reporting on the controversy" isn't reporting; it's fanning the flames. I read a variety of sources because they all have their vices and their biases. I'm part of the Internet Hate Machine just as much as you. But I acknowledge such.

Quote Originally Posted by MrN View Post
    It's only when a publisher sees a noticeable reduction of income from said product that they clue in and think, "Hmmm, our audience doesn't much seem to want to buy that thing."
    But they do want to buy that thing. They so very obviously do.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I'm fairly sure that doesn't apply in this situation, except literally. =P
    Nah, I mean it straight! They're six inches from breaking out the torches and pitchforks over what they see as Bioware's grave ills - Warden's Keep, DA2, SWTOR, Jennifer Helper, Day-One DLC, ME2, ME3's multiplayer, ME3's ending - yet Bioware's selling like hotcakes. I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE TAKE ALL MY MONEY
    Last edited by Nalano; 15-03-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

But they do want to buy that thing. They so very obviously do.
    That's the problem though, the lack of a backbone / principles / etc. They don't have the willpower to just not buy the thing, and as such they'll be taken advantage of by publishers every single time because of it. It's just funny / sad to watch as certain people constantly bitch about this or that thing a publisher / developer has done, only to go marching up to them cash in hand for an opportunity to get smacked around some more. They wonder why their voice isn't heard, and it's because their voice doesn't have any value since they don't back up what they say with the appropriate actions.

"You can tell I'm their biggest fan because nobody hates it more than me." etc.
    to wound the autumnal city.