Thread: Journey

Journey

So who else has crossed the desert?

Much can and has been said about this game by folks more insightful and eloquent than I, but here's my contribution: I paid $20 for a game that was over in two hours ... and I feel pretty good about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Is this the game with the scarves?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Activated Node
    I'd love to play it, it sound like my thing SO MUCH, but I don't have a console toy. It's not out for pc yet, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptoshrimp View Post
    I'd love to play it, it sound like my thing SO MUCH, but I don't have a console toy. It's not out for pc yet, is it?
    Unfortunately I don't think it will be coming out for PC. The game is the third of a three-game contract thatgamecompany has with Sony. Of course that raises the question of where they go from here, and a very interesting question it is too given that they -- and Jenova Chen in particular -- are one of my favourite devs in the industry today. If I were Sony I'd be looking to re-sign them right quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Is this the game with the scarves?
    It is the game with the scarves.

I was fortunate enough to start and complete my journey with a single companion. I don't know how rare that is, but most scribblings I've read on the internets make reference to transient encounters with several companions. I'm not sure I would've found the climax quite so emotionally affecting with multiple companions, but plenty of folks (such as The Guardian) have had no difficulty waxing lyrical on the experience regardless, so who knows?

Supposedly, there would be monsters in the game but was cut out for some reason iirc
    Last edited by Voon; 17-03-2012 at 01:38 AM.

There are monsters in the game, albeit you can only hide and (try) to run away from them. Being able to kill the monsters would've undermined the game's goal in making the player feel insignificant and mostly powerless.

Just like Amnesia

I must say, for all that's being said about this game, I don't think enough has been made about how ridiculously pretty it is. For the most part that's a function of the flawless art direction, but there's some seriously impressive tech being pushed also.

Earlier I was playing and encountered a dude wearing a white robe and trailing a scarf about as long as a bus. What a jerk.

I have been watching footage of it for the past ten minutes and I have never wanted a game so badly.

Sadly:

Will Journey be available on other platforms? "Journey" is our third project in a 3-game deal with PlayStation, so unfortunately you won't be seeing it on any other platforms in the foreseeable future. When we were poor kids out of college, Sony offered to fund three games from us, which was a dream come true. There's no way we could have made "flOw" or "Flower" or "Journey". The catch is - they are all exclusive to the PS3.

Powerless......

When I saw the footage of Journey it seemed really familiar to me, both visually and audibly. And it took me a while to remember what it reminded me of...

There was an indy game called Cloud which was on one of the PCG DVDs that I loved. It was simple and beautiful and sounded great, even if it was a touch buggy. I google up Cloud and That game Company and hey:

http://thatgamecompany.com/games/cloud/

Their style is so strong I can tell it was the same people from the memories of an indie game I played for a few days six years ago. Amazing.

I need to send them that email telling them how great they are.