Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    The link at the top just gives me a page that never actually loads - I get a black background and a title, but that's it.

I think perhaps you don't get what Borderlands was trying to do.

I don't know man. Borderlands was WoW in a FPS from for me. I can't have fun in that game if there's only me or me and a friend playing, definitely need at least three players.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I trought "Smoothing Mouse" is something people want to disable.

And "Smart Matchmarking" is a console thing that almost always never work. Because a computer is never smart.

Because in a game like Borderlands you may want to join games with other 3 people (not games with 1 or 2 players), or you may want to play with people with DLC X and DLC Y, but not DLC K. So I doubt a matchmaking thing can compare with a server browser.

Hoping for the best, anyway :D

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    And "Smart Matchmarking" is a console thing that almost always never work. Because a computer is never smart.
    Huh? It's in no way a "console thing", and it's easy to get almost perfect matchmaking for certain types of games, mainly competitive 1v1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Huh? It's in no way a "console thing", and it's easy to get almost perfect matchmaking for certain types of games, mainly competitive 1v1.
    Its a console thing. The PC thing is having a server browser.

Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal... none of these games had a matchmaking thing. The need of a matchmaking thing exist because a lot of console games don't have dedicated servers, only p2p gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I still can't get the page linked at the top of the thread to work. I've disabled adblock. I've passed the agegate. I've even tried Internet Explorer. No avail, I just get a completely blank screen. So anybody mind telling me what it actually says?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I still can't get the page linked at the top of the thread to work. I've disabled adblock. I've passed the agegate. I've even tried Internet Explorer. No avail, I just get a completely blank screen. So anybody mind telling me what it actually says?
    BL2 will have the following PC-specific features:

* FOV slider
    * 100% mouse-usable menus/mouse wheel scrolling
    * Remappable keybindings for keyboard/mouse
    * PC-specific UI
    * Native multiplayer matchmaking
    * Push to talk
    * Logitech keyboard support
    * LAN support (including offline mode)
    * Control pad support
    * Integrated v-sync option
    * Support for higher resolutions
    * Mouse smoothing options (can be disabled completely)
    * Cloud save support
    * Achievement support
    * Friends list support
    * No port forwarding support

Network Hub
    Its a console thing. The PC thing is having a server browser.

Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal... none of these games had a matchmaking thing. The need of a matchmaking thing exist because a lot of console games don't have dedicated servers, only p2p gameplay.
    Dedicated servers and server browsers do not find equally matched players for you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dedicated servers and server browsers do not find equally matched players for you.
    What the fuck is "equally matched players"? Do L4D select for you Versus servers with people of exactly your skills?

Sounds like another PR lie that is accepted in the console world, because people there don't know better.

Borderlands 1 had a server browse, ... a bad one, but was complete enough to work. With it you was able to see the level of the host before joining, so you was able to join people of your level.

The Borderlands 1 server browsers was ugly, the list was too big, was slow, and lack details. But 0.00001 is still more than 0, with a matchmarker you end stupidlly looking at a rotating icon.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I assume the equal matching will simply be level/equipment matching. Something l4d didn't have to worry about.

Either way I'm very unlikely to play with anyone I don't already know so as long as setting up a game is nicer than the first with a roomfull of us wondering what the hell our gamespy passwords were I'll be content.

A lot of the stuff in there are the sorts of things that should be standard anyway, and not need to be spelled out for us. I just hope there's less brown in the game because that's the one thing that was a big turn off for me while playing: the samey ness of the areas. I know it was supposed to be some sort of desolate wasteland, but I just got bored of it after a while, and had to force myself to finish the game.

What the fuck is "equally matched players"? Do L4D select for you Versus servers with people of exactly your skills?
    You know how some games track your K/D-ratio, compares it to other players in the same game and sets ranks for you? Like, um, in Starcraft 2, you know.

The first really good matchmaking system was for Warcraft 3, and then the guy who made it went on to make the Xbox/Halo one.

Network Hub
    What the fuck is "equally matched players"?
    Players with similar skills? English isn't my first language though.

Sounds like another PR lie that is accepted in the console world, because people there don't know better.
    Come to think of it, my Antec Intel Inside console here has been matching me weirdly. It puts me against so skilled people that I have to try really hard to beat them, and I often end up losing, which is not nice. And once it matched me against five Protosses in a row. The matchmaking being fake explains everything. :-(

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter?x

I actually find this rather pathetic but hey, at least this time we get a proper PC game, even if half of those things mentioned should be a given and shouldn't require a fucking fanfare
    What, only half? It's about 50% "options I've been able to set in most games since 1995" and 50% "things that the Steam overlay provides anyway" as far as I can see.

I also have no clue why having V-sync is such a big thing - isn't it just a case of putting GraphicsEngine.setVSync(true) somewhere in your code?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    What, only half? It's about 50% "options I've been able to set in most games since 1995" and 50% "things that the Steam overlay provides anyway" as far as I can see.
    If I understand correctly, most of the Steam-based features listed are not automatically provided by Steam and require support from the game. The rest should absolutely be standard for a PC release, but is not in today's market.

ZIGS, I agree that the features do not "require a fucking fanfare", but I don't see Gearbox expecting one, and what they are doing is anything but pathetic. They are admitting the last time was a mess, and fixing it; what more do you expect? I'll jump on the "pathetic" bandwagon if, and only if, a developer starts expecting the fanfare.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    You know how some games track your K/D-ratio, compares it to other players in the same game and sets ranks for you? Like, um, in Starcraft 2, you know.
    Well.. that make sense, but that is a RTS, where theres stats to track. In a game like Borderlands, what star you will track so you play "with people of your level"? Also, the freedom problem. What If I want to play with people with more skill than me to learn to play better? What If the game think I suck (because I am starting) and always put me with idiots, so my stats never get better because the team wipe again and again?

I am very happy about Borderlands 1, the Borderlands 1 DLC's, and I am looking forward for Bordelands 2. The networks goods allowed me to play the game, even forward ports, so my experience with BL1 has always been happy and smooth :D
    Last edited by Tei; 17-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Network Hub
    ZIGS, I agree that the features do not "require a fucking fanfare", but I don't see Gearbox expecting one, and what they are doing is anything but pathetic. They are admitting the last time was a mess, and fixing it; what more do you expect? I'll jump on the "pathetic" bandwagon if, and only if, a developer starts expecting the fanfare.
    It's pathetic because they promised a good port for the first Borderlands, didn't deliver, didn't fix most of the problems and never even acknowledge they fucked up. Then they realized the game sold like hotcakes regardless and suddenly they're PC gamers best friends.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're finally getting a good game but their attitude IS pathetic

Activated Node
    I'm stil trying to figure out what the "False Promises" were made by gearbox of Borderlands 1? I went and re-watched all the ads /trailer and even checked out some interviews... they mention..lots of guns, co op.. more guns and a general air of fun. Which I think they delivered on. Yea, it had its fair share of issues, but they weren't game breaking (that couldn't be fixed with a 30 sec config tweak) for me and my pals that put 500+ hours into together it easily.

There seems to be this rash of thinking these days that developers are / were promising something to the players, when I never hear the actual word anywhere near the game. Cant wait for Borderlands 2!

Network Hub
    They said in some interview that the PC version would be... well, basically what they're promising BL2 on PC is gonna be

Activated Node
    what interview?